New to comics, I would like some recommendations please!

Kataztrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kataztrah

Hello, I am new to comics and comic vine. I need help finding some good comics.

I like Batman, he's my favorite and I am currently reading the new 52 for Batman.

I'm also interested in the flash, green lantern, spiderman, deadpool, and captain america.

I am opened to almost all types of comics, except any with magic, no gods, no zombies or vampires, making the dead come back to life with something that isnt sci fi related, spirits, or anything of that nature.

I would like to learn everything I can about the DC and maybe even the marvel universe. How do I find out everything I need to know?

So far the only comic I got that isn't a batman comic is the new amazing spiderman comic that just came out.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Also how do I know about all the different types of attacks and weapons in the future if I ever want to write fanfic, or just gain a basic knowledge period.

EDIT: I'd like to know the villain's origins, as well as the hero's.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By waezi2

@kataztrah: I am going to bed soon, but I will give you some recommendation tomorrow. But if you want to learn more about the Marvel U, a good place to start would be Busieks run on Avengers from the late 90's. That's how I got into Marvel Comics.

No Caption Provided

This book has close to every hero in the Marvel U in it.

The story starts with several attacks on anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who has ever been a Avenger at some point. They all get together to try and figure out what the heck is going on.

The series has a lot of the Marvel U's history, but the story still has a good flow. One of my favorite team-books. HIGHLY recommended.

holyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here I things I've read and enjoyed, original post here: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/fun-comics-1561068/?page=1#0

said:

As I see quite a few post about people asking for comic recommendations I thought I'd write a short post about comics I have read and enjoyed. I will focus mainly on comics that can be found in trade paperbacks and ones that don't need a terrible amount of backstory (ones that you can wiki to catch up on). These are my subjective opinions entirely so take it with a pinch of salt. Also this is not exhaustive. Feel free to add your own opinions.

Avengers Disassembled

The Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon

Batman

• Dark Knight Returns
  • Long Halloween
  • Knightfall, KnightsEnd
  • The Killing Joke
  • Mad Love
  • Year One
  • The Black Mirror
  • Arkham Asylum
  • Under the Red Hood
  • Court of Owls

Jeff Smith's Bone

Captain America

• Brubaker's entire run
  • The Captain

Daredevil

• Frank Miller's run
  • Bendis' run
  • Brubaker's run
  • Waid's run

DC The New Frontier

The Flash v2 (Wally West) - Starts getting good on Waid's run though.

Brubaker's Gotham Central & Catwoman

Iron Man

• Demon in a Bottle
  • Extremis

JLA

PAD's Incredible Hulk

Punisher MAX

Superman

• Man of Steel
  • Kingdom Come
  • All-Star Superman (Best superman I've read).
  • Red Son
  • Up, Up and Away
  • Secret Identity
  • For the Man Who Has Everything

Spider-Man

• The Death of the Stacys
  • Birth of Venom
  • Roger Stern's run
  • Ultimate Spider-Man
  • Spider-Man Blue
  • Stan Lee/Steve Ditko's run

Simonson's Thor

The Watchmen

Kataztrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kataztrah
Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, Elektra and Silver Surfer are some good titles that started recently. :)

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Thor: God of Thunder, All New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Detective Comics(Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato), Green Arrow(Jeff Lemire onward), Daredevil, and Savage Wolverine

holyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello, I am new to comics and comic vine. I need help finding some good comics.

I like Batman, he's my favorite and I am currently reading the new 52 for Batman.

I'm also interested in the flash, green lantern, spiderman, deadpool, and captain america.

I am opened to almost all types of comics, except any with magic, no zombies or vampires, making the dead come back to life with something that isnt sci fi related, spirits, or anything of that nature.

I would like to learn everything I can about the DC and maybe even the marvel universe. How do I find out everything I need to know?

So far the only comic I got that isn't a batman comic is the new amazing spiderman comic that just came out.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Also how do I know about all the different types of attacks and weapons in the future if I ever want to write fanfic, or just gain a basic knowledge period.

If you're interested in pre52 continuity and Batman, you should read Year One and the Dark Knight Returns as they set the tone for modern era Batman.

If you liked the CA2 movie, read Brubaker's run on Captain America starting from the Winter Soldier Arc.

If you want to read Flash comics, you can read the entire new52 run for new Barry Allen material. If you want pre52 comics, I suggest you start with Mark Waid's Flash run.

For Deadpool I recommend Joe Kelly's Deadpool classic.

For Spider-Man if you can get the Masterworks or Essentials then you can start from the beginning. Or else you could jump in from Dan Slott's Amazing Spider-Man run to get up to speed with the current ASM.

Kataztrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you all!

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

Thor: God of Thunder

Not exactly what I'd call a comic book without gods or magic...

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ccraft

@kataztrah: IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic series is really good, first issue is free on www.comixology.com

images below

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kataztrah: Question: Do you want the n52 DC, or before?

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Moon knight and Magneto

Kataztrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By waezi2

@kataztrah: If you are going to read pre n52, I would recommend two series that would be good to be introduced you to the DCU:

No Caption Provided

JLA Year One is the story about the Justice Leagues first year, and has some DC history in it too. And the writer is the long-time fan favorite Mark Waid, who had some of the best run on DC.

I would also recommend 52, that is about how the world manege to work without Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman for a whole year, and therefor has it's focus on second and third stringers, and is about the whole DCU. NO ONE is not mentioned in it.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for redxiii18881990
Redxiii18881990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should maybe look into marvel unlimited. It's got loads you can look through.

Avatar image for redxiii18881990
Redxiii18881990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also red hood and the outlaws but a little mysticism not a lot though.