#1 Posted by Crank18 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey guys iv been interested in comic books from afar for a while now and wanted to get into them but don't want the headache of not knowing the backstory/continuity.

So iv read up and I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy the Ultimates: Ultimate collection (which I think is the first in that series) does it come recommended?. I'm open to many suggestions Ill probably be into Marvel aswell as DC heroes. I think id be into comics that hold nothing back violence-wise, (if superheroes even do violent stuff idk).

Also looking for a good place to start The Punisher if there's any recommendations for that it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

#2 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, read the Ultimates. There are Ultimate series that are done badly, but the original Ultimates and Ultimates 2 are great, as well as the new Ultimates: Ultimates that you are interested in. Try Ultimate Spiderman as well.

For DC: Try the new 52 Justice League, Batman, Animal Man, Aquaman and Swamp Thing series.

And for some personal recommendations: Try the Dynamite Comics Bionic Man and Green Hornet. Both are done by Kevin Smith and are awesome.

#3 Edited by SoA (5385 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crank18: for the Punisher you gotta go with the MAX series . to me its the only way Punisher is done right. no superheroes or anything. just a man on a mission to kill a lot of bad guys.

for the new 52 you should check out superboy, teen titans, the flash, and earth-2 as well as what the user above me recommended

#4 Posted by menaceforever (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Avengers Academy and Deadpool Corps are both still in their first 30-35 I believe. They both are good.

#5 Posted by derf_jenkins (496 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing Spider-Man, Batman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Hawkeye, Dan the Unharmable, Fatale, Saga, Sweet Tooth, Mind the Gap

Those are the 10 that I would keep if I had a reason to only pick a few.

#6 Posted by Crank18 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimates-Ultimate-Collection-Bryan-Hitch/dp/0785143874/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344071563&sr=8-1<-- thats what im gunna go with first i think.

then for Punisher should i start here? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Punisher-Max-Volume-Beginning-Quality/dp/0785113916/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344072677&sr=8-2

Also still dont know where to start with Batman and the Justice league. I also think id be into creepy no holds barred villians if that helps any recomendations?

Be patient with me ;)

#7 Posted by Crank18 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Also what are peoples opinions on the Deadpool killing Marvel characters comic? Looks interesting

#8 Posted by menaceforever (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

Well let me tell you this. It is non-cannon which means that DP didn't really go Punisher on the Marvel U. Also, me being a fan of DP I look forward to it.

#9 Posted by MAGIC_HORSE (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Lots of good shout outs above: Swamp thing, Saga, Batman, Amazing Spidey and fatale are all awesome books!

#10 Posted by Romulus9000 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crank18 said:

Hey guys iv been interested in comic books from afar for a while now and wanted to get into them but don't want the headache of not knowing the backstory/continuity. So iv read up and I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy the Ultimates: Ultimate collection (which I think is the first in that series) does it come recommended?. I'm open to many suggestions Ill probably be into Marvel aswell as DC heroes. I think id be into comics that hold nothing back violence-wise, (if superheroes even do violent stuff idk). Also looking for a good place to start The Punisher if there's any recommendations for that it would be much appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Ultimates is cool. If you don't care about continuity and just want to read awesome comics, AND you like violence, read Punisher MAX and Deadpool MAX. Also look into titles like Preacher and 100 Bullets.

IF you want to stay in continuity, you are in luck because DC is doing something called "New 52" right now, what this is is that DC has rebooted their entire universe and is essentially starting over with most of the history in the DC universe. (It's a little more complicated than that but for now that is all you need to know or you will be absolutely lost.) Anyway, pick a character or three that you like and start reading, if you start now it is very easy to catch up in DC.

Now for marvel. Marvel is a bit harder, they aren't doing anything like the "New 52" that DC is doing, however, they are now doing ".1" issues (i.e Daredevil 10.1) basically these are catch up issues for new readers, several titles have them in fact i think Amazing Spiderman either just had one or is about to have one. You can read these to catch up on what has been going on in the series and then just proceed to buying the next issue in that title.

Other than that, it's best to just jump in. You will not understand everything at first, but if you press on everything will be ironed out in time. Good luck.

Oh, and welcome to the vine. If you have any questions The Mods here are great, and so are most of us, PM if you have any more questions!

#11 Posted by FullmetalChobit (218 posts) - - Show Bio

If you like mega-violence laced with a whole load of laughs, I'd suggest anything related to Kick-Ass or Deadpool (also give Millar's Nemesis a go, it is pure awesome!).

I generally recommend anything written by Geoff Johns, Alan Moore, Stan Lee, Kevin Smith, Robert Kirkman, Mark Millar...

It may be an idea to start reading a team (Avengers, JLA, Future Foundation etc) so then you can get to know a whole bunch of characters and get to know who and what you like to get from comics and then go from there.

You've chosen a pretty good time to get into comics because DC is just over a year into the New 52 and Marvel are just rebooting too with Marvel Now. This means loads of things are gunna change in both multiverses, so you can start from (a) beginning without having much, or any, prior knowledge of a character.

#12 Edited by cc1738 (359 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crank18 said:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimates-Ultimate-Collection-Bryan-Hitch/dp/0785143874/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344071563&sr=8-1<-- thats what im gunna go with first i think.

then for Punisher should i start here? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Punisher-Max-Volume-Beginning-Quality/dp/0785113916/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344072677&sr=8-2

Also still dont know where to start with Batman and the Justice league. I also think id be into creepy no holds barred villians if that helps any recomendations?

Be patient with me ;)

Well, both Batman and Justice league will be twelve issues in this month. Batman, by Scott Snyder is awesome. I my opinion you should read it from issue one to get the court of owls storyline that just ended. You can get the trade and that will cover through issue 7. Then just buy the back issues to catch up. It's one of my favorite titles. As for Justice League you could do the same. Only the trade goes through issue 6.

DC is doing issue zeros in September and they're supposed to be jump on points for the series so if you didn't want to spend the money you could get them and just ignore what happened before. Batman's story is supposed to deal with the Joker starting at issue 13 and apparently it's supposed to be crazy violent and dark. It sounds epic. The benefit of JL is that Jim Lee is on it.

As for titles I would recommend, Aquaman, Batman, Uncanny X-Force and Age of Apocalypse are all amazing. AoA is only six issues in so you wouldn't have alot of back issues to get to read to catch up. If you don't know what it is, it's a alternate reality of X-Men set in a post apocalyptic world. It's very dark and gritty. You could also wait and check out the Marvel Now titles that will be released starting in Oct.

#13 Posted by Yai_Inn (352 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crank18:  Hawkeye #1 just came out last week. And Gambit #1 comes out this week. Good jumping on points and seem to be in the mold of superhero you're looking for.  

#14 Posted by Crank18 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for all the replies! Really helped me out!

Gunna go with the Ultimates, Punisher MAX and maybe Batman (the court of owls I presume is where I start) and might start with the new Hawkeye too! I'll let you all know how I get on (if anyone's at all interested!)
Thanks again!

#15 Posted by Thaxus (53 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL no ones suggested any of the new Valiant stuff offered. Valiant was the top dog back in the mid '90's and recently relaunched X-O Manowar, and Bloodshot ect. I'd also suggest checking out Dynamite.net for new Dynamite Entertainment series offered. Aspen's new Executive Assistant Assassins series is awesome.

#16 Posted by cc1738 (359 posts) - - Show Bio

@Thaxus: I've never read a Valient title. None of them even remotely interest me.