New to comic world

iGaboru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By iGaboru

Hi there folks, I've been increasingly getting into comics after reading Scott Pilgrim, Kick-Ass and now The Walking Dead. I really love that style of telling stories and how believable and realistic (to a extent) they can be. My main problem with comic books is not only that I'm not into super-heroes (apart from maybe X-Men and Spiderman), super powers and the like, but also that it's so confusing to follow any storyline with so many spin-offs, reimaginations, etc. So I was wondering if you could suggest other comics/graphic novels in the vibe of those I mentioned before.

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By katanalauncher
harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By harleyquinn12
@katanalauncher
Can i second Ultimate Spider-Man? You really don't need to know much about the character to start reading it.  

Runaways is another good choice. i started reading when it when I had just gotten into Marvel.
iGaboru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iGaboru

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I'll be sure to check some of those out. However, are there any non-superhero comics worth checking out?

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By jamesewelch

I'm the same way. I'm not much of a tights and capes type of reader, but I do have some favs (X-Men, etc.). If you walk into a comic-book shop, just ask the clerk/owner that you're looking for non-cape books and they'll give you some good recommendations, too.

Here's some things to check out. I'd advise doing research first before you buy.

Ed Brubaker's Criminal series. He's released 2 or 3 short 4-5 issue series. Criminal 2006, Criminal 2008, and Criminal: The sinners (2010). This is a pulpy type of read. Something like Sin City. Kind of dirty, gritty, etc.

Cowboy Ninja Viking - series ended last year. Lasted about 12 issues, 2 volumes/tpb. Kind of funny, interesting, series consisting of a special ops team that all have multiple personalities. 

Punisher MAX - current ongoing series. This book has the Punisher and some bad guys from Marvel (like Kingpin and Bullseye), but they don't have powers, just normal people. Other Punisher MAX reads are also good. There's tons of lists out there, like the series by Ennis. Welcome Back, Frank.

You've probably already saw the V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Sin City movies, but there's comics for those too, as recommended above.

I'm also reading Starborn (Boom title). It's not tights and capes, it's more a sci-fi fantasy (like Star Wars). I'm really like it, probably because I like sci-fi > capes. 1st trade is coming out soon.

Brian Michael Bendis ongoing  Scarlet is also a great read. I'd highly recommend this, if you like street vigilantes set in modern day societies and cities (this story takes place in Portland).  1st trade just came out a month or two ago.

You can find trades for all of the titles listed above (PunisherMAX, Starborn, and Scarlet are current ongoing titles, but they'll have some trades out soon).

iGaboru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iGaboru

Thanks a lot mate, that's exactly the kind of material I was looking for. I also believe Sci-fi > all :) Now if only there were any cyber-punk comics :(

Btw, I recommend a very nice graphic novel I recently discovered, it's called Blacksad, check it out!

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By jamesewelch

Thanks for the recommendation.

There's tons of more sci-fi comics out there. Orson Scott Card just started a new Ender's Games series. There's also tons of indy sci-fi stuff. I don't follow too many sci-fi comics, but I'm hoping to pick up a few trades once I figure out the good ones. I just came across Starborn, because of the hype and Stan Lee's involvement.