New reader advice

Zeldarawwk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey everyone,

No doubt this probably comes up quite a lot, but hopefully I can get some advice as to what comic books to start reading.

I'm more or less new to comics but have always had a strong interest in picking one up and giving it a go. Anyway, I visited my local store and picked up Night of the Living Deadpool #1-4 (looked a bit different to the classic Superman, Spiderman etc. which is what drew my attention to it) and did find them pretty good reads.

So now I'm looking to pick up some more tomorrow and am hoping to get some recommendations as to what I should pick.
As said before, I wanted to choose something a bit different to what I presume are the most popular comic choices, and instead want to look for something a bit 'darker' and, dare I say it, something that doesn't carry a stereotype of being aimed towards a younger audience. <-Again, only a stereotype.

I'm not completely ruling out reading the classic superhero comics, just that I want to read something a bit different to start with. -but at the same time want them to be popular choices in their respective genres.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Sounds like Moon Knight would be right up there with what you described. You in luck because the series just started so you can pick up the first two issues.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3 JediXMan  Moderator

Saga is good. It's Sci-Fi / Fantasy, not part of the superhero genre.

If you want older comics:

• The Sandman
  • Death: The High Cost of Living
  • Doom Patrol (Grant Morrison's run)
  • V for Vendetta

Keep in mind that when I say "old," I do not mean quality. These are fantastic comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Arrow has been amazing since Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino took over last year.

It is indeed somewhat darker than previous depictions of Oliver Queen. I've seen it compared to Daredevil or Moon Knight more than once.

Zeldarawwk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Zeldarawwk

Sounds like Moon Knight would be right up there with what you described. You in luck because the series just started so you can pick up the first two issues.

Just looked it up and definitely seems like something I would find interesting to read. Will be taking a look tomorrow whilst at the store. Thanks for the suggestion :)

@jedixman said:

Saga is good. It's Sci-Fi / Fantasy, not part of the superhero genre.

If you want older comics:

• The Sandman
  • Death: The High Cost of Living
  • Doom Patrol (Grant Morrison's run)
  • V for Vendetta

Keep in mind that when I say "old," I do not mean quality. These are fantastic comics.

Thanks for the reply. Also looked these up and will be checking them out more tomorrow... :)

@xwraith said:

Green Arrow has been amazing since Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino took over last year.

It is indeed somewhat darker than previous depictions of Oliver Queen. I've seen it compared to Daredevil or Moon Knight more than once.

I have to say that I was looking at picking one of these up the other day, but wasn't sure if I could just 'jump into the middle' of a series. Similar to TV series'... Do you think I can do this? Or should I somehow catch up on what I have missed. -which undoubtedly would be quite a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeldarawwk: The newest Green Arrow probably isn't the best jumping-on point. But if you don't want to read all if it, you could start with issue 26 (the beginning of the current arc).

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Try to pick characters and teams or even concepts, well of course some could lead to tie in but i recommend to pick a bit of diferente types of comics.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By HumanRocket
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

IDW's TMNT is an awesome read. Don't be fooled by the property name, it's a deep comic.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Earth 2 is awesome. Green Arrow and TMNT are as well.