• 74 results
rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: -43

#1  Edited By rorie

We're debuting a new notifications feature on Comic Vine and Giant Bomb. What we've done is split up notifications and private messages into two separate systems. As such, you'll now have a notifications indicator and a PM inbox in the upper right corner of your screen. Notifications will still let you know when another user follows you, comments on your content, posts on your wall, and so forth, whereas the PM inbox is now exclusively for your private messages. This should reduce inbox clutter for the most active members of our community.

In addition, we've simplified the large number of notification options that we used to feature on your Settings page into a smaller group of options to choose from. You should check your settings page to ensure that these options are up to date. (To do so, hover over your avatar in the upper right corner of the screen and select the Settings button.) We'll also soon be adding the option to get email notifications as a weekly digest if you prefer not to get individual emails for each notification.

Notifications are marked as read when you view them, but you can always view older notifications by visiting the Notifications tab of your profile.

Let us know what you think, and feel free to post any feedback on these new features in this thread.

Also, as a note: we know you guys miss the icon that used to show which of your friends were currently online. We're looking into a system that should be launching next week that will hopefully replicate some of that functionality. I can't guarantee it'll work exactly the same, but you should notice it pretty quickly when it goes up.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@rorie: I like the new feature, but I can't seem to get the darn thing to mark the 1 notification I have as read even though I checked it out. Having that little 1 next to the flag is effecting my profile OCD.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Just saw it right now as I logged on. I like it. It's a great way for me to separate the pm and my reply, follow and other notification flow. Good idea!

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, so the 1 is gone now and it seems to be working fine.
Although when I scroll over the notification indicator it shows every notification I've gotten so far not just new ones, don't know if that's intended or not.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@rorie: Okay that explains it what just happen then.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: -43

#8  Edited By rorie

@decoy_elite said:

Okay, so the 1 is gone now and it seems to be working fine.

Although when I scroll over the notification indicator it shows every notification I've gotten so far not just new ones, don't know if that's intended or not.

Hmm, can you try clicking on the icon to go to your notifications page? That might clear it out. If not...let us know!

Edit: nvm. The timer is cached to 30 minutes, so it'll go away eventually.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Decoy Elite

@rorie:

Yeah, although now it seems to be set to 0 even when I get a new reply, and I'm hearing others are having the same issue.

Also, might just be my settings but replies from you and mrpibb didn't show up for some reason.

Wait, your last reply just showed up so I guess it got fixed with whatever go the 1 to go away.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decoy_elite: currently we show all notifications. They are automatically marked as read, and unread vs read have a different highlighting.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrpibb said:

@decoy_elite: currently we show all notifications. They are automatically marked as read, and unread vs read have a different highlighting.

Ah, I see. Okay then everything seems to be working as intended.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Just went into my settings to ensure that the proper ones were checked and then wall posted myself with an alt and got no notification/PM message for it.

Then got wall posted by somebody else and got no notification for that, either.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: So I am having so problems with the new system where they notification is not showing up at all .I check the ones that I need but nothing is showing up?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

Just went into my settings to ensure that the proper ones were checked and then wall posted myself with an alt and got no notification/PM message for it.

Then got wall posted by somebody else and got no notification for that, either.

I figured it out (kind of), but the notification meter is stuck at 2 and I'm not receiving notifications for replies.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Try mine someone post on my wall and it didn't show ?

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

Damn, I'm gonna get nothing but notifications. I'm such a loser :)

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2261

User Lists: 3

@rorie: It would be nice to have wiki follows say on characters and volumes to show here instead of the feed. Depending on the number of followers you might miss when somebody edits a page your active in updating as well.

Wardemon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I. Hate. It.

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mr_ingenuity  Moderator

I thought it was the follow tab at first ¬_¬

Anywho while the number pop up appropriately the notifications I've read don't leave.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_stegman  Moderator

The notification number isn't disappearing..even when I check it.. >_>

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lady_liberty

In theory this is a nice system, however in reality it doesn't appear to work very well, and it lags the PM system.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By Pyrogram

LOL This is such a step back for the forum its unreal. You cannot even PM reply somebody who mentions you anymore. Stupid.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Until the glitches are worked out..this is pretty bad. I figured out how to make my notices go to 0, but now, everytime I hover over them, all of the past notices still show. Also...how do you PM replies now??

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SideburnGuru

@lady_liberty said:

In theory this is a nice system, however in reality it doesn't appear to work very well, and it lags the PM system.

Pretty much this.

It's nice, it really is. However, it really does need some fix-up. I also think the old system was okay too. Always open to upgrades, but eh. I'm fine with or without it.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26 JediXMan  Moderator

It's a nice idea, but I honestly don't think this was a change that needed to be implemented.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pyrogram

@jedixman said:

It's a nice idea, but I honestly don't think this was a change that needed to be implemented.

Same. It's really....if out of all the changes done recently pointless and makes the site TRULY worse, not an opinion....it just makes the site worse, we lost the ability to reply to Wall posts and Mentions...what was the point in that?....even if the staff loose face, They need to implement the old system as this is going to kill activity undoubtedly and harm the site majorly.

Jaegerjaquez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jaegerjaquez

This should reduce inbox clutter for the most active members of our community.

Oh, so that explains why I'm not finding the usefulness. I'm just not that popular.

I do appreciate the thought; thank you very much for that. But I do find, personally, it was more helpful when I had my things stored as PMs, so I could reply to a comment or a wall post inside that same private message. But again, I'm just not that popular (most of the time). Also, I think there's a problem where my old notifications still show up notifying me after I've already seen that I've been notified.

Thank you for your consideration. ^_^

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

This should reduce inbox clutter for the most active members of our community.

Oh, so that explains why I'm not finding the usefulness. I'm just not that popular.

I do appreciate the thought; thank you very much for that. But I do find, personally, it was more helpful when I had my things stored as PMs, so I could reply to a comment or a wall post inside that same private message. But again, I'm just not that popular (most of the time). Also, I think there's a problem where my old notifications still show up notifying me after I've already seen that I've been notified.

Thank you for your consideration. ^_^

Same problem here. When it was only PM I could enter the message and then it showed that I had seen it. Now the notifications stays even though I have seen them.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30 JediXMan  Moderator

@pyrogram:

Honestly, I'd prefer if they put this effort into bringing back the Who's Online feature...

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pyrogram

@jedixman: Same. This is truly pointless and just a waste of time.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vortex13

I'm getting no PM's it's all just going to the notifications.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we have some sort of link that goes to the thread the user has replied from? All my notifications are from differentr forums and threads and it's all in one page so it's kinda confusing what thread it's coming from..

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

I agree. I respect the coders decision and they hard work they've put in but, I don't see why this was necessary. Much easier when it was all in the inbox in my opinion.

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I don't wish to demean or belittle any of the hard work that went into this I must say it follows the pattern of the new site- Removing useful features and replacing them with features that don't work very well, and don't provide as much functionality.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't changed any of my settings. And I am no longer receiving notifications or e-mails (that, or they are hugely delayed).

Xeno_Seeker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anybody else think that they were flagged alot? hahaha

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like the delay window is down from 25 minutes to about 7.

Why do you think you were flagged? O_o

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for captainlantern76
CaptainLantern76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CaptainLantern76

Until the glitches are worked out..this is pretty bad. I figured out how to make my notices go to 0, but now, everytime I hover over them, all of the past notices still show. Also...how do you PM replies now??

Exact same problem here. As for the latter question..what do you mean?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha I actually did, for a second. For a moment I was like, "Who's this &^*%$ tryna flag me?"

I'm not really a fan of this new system - I much prefer the older message one. But I can live with it.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The old system was just fine. This change was completely gratuitous.

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mr_ingenuity  Moderator

Not receiving any notifications even after I've entered the thread...ಠ_ರೃ

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay this is weird....I'm not even getting notifs when people tag me....

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not a big fan of this change, i like it better when i was getting everything on my inbox . Personal preference i suppose.

_Xander_Slade_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I don't wish to demean or belittle any of the hard work that went into this I must say it follows the pattern of the new site- Removing useful features and replacing them with features that don't work very well, and don't provide as much functionality.

This exactly. I respect the effort and the obvious attempt to make it better for users. We know your not out to make it harder for us. But as LL said, it seems like a pattern of changing out helpful simplified systems for unneccesary ones, in an attempt to be more like a general social media site like Twitter or Facebook.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#49 god_spawn  Moderator

I'm in the general consensus. Since it's been almost 2 days since its implication, I'm not a fan of it. I do appreciate the hard work you guys put into making this place usable, but when we got all the notifications in one place, things were much easier.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the general consensus. Since it's been almost 2 days since its implication, I'm not a fan of it. I do appreciate the hard work you guys put into making this place usable, but when we got all the notifications in one place, things were much easier.

Exactly how I feel. I respect the coders hard work into this but, maybe it would of been better if they asked for user feedback first? Sometimes I don't even get notification of who writes on my wall. I gotta check their profiles or mine to see the posts. Very cute icon by the way. =D