New Killing Joke Cover?

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Edited By BetaRaybdw

So since DC has pulled the KJ homage cover on the upcoming Batgirl comic, I think they should still get some use out of it. Perhaps it should be offered as a variant cover in future printings of The Killing Joke or at least printed on an inside page.

No Caption Provided

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Can we just let The Killing Joke die, already? Please?

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By those_eyes

@scouterv said:

lol why?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

lol why?

Why not? What's the point? I don't see much point in bringing it up. Especially not now.

@scouterv: lol what? Killing joke is awesome.

It wasn't a bad story at all.

But it's kind of irrelevant these days.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wrglfan2814: Irrelevant in the term that, while it happened, everyone has moved on.Why hasn't DC?

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At Everyone: It is one of the Classic Stories of Comics now, like the death of Gwen Stacy in the Marvel Universe. Of the gazillion Batman stories since 1939 it is one of the standout stories. canon or not it is a very good (if somewhat disturbing) read and that it why DC keeps reprinting copies of KJ and other key stories from their long history of comics and because they know they will sell. Ditto for Marvel.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

Yea no reason to cancel it. Seems a waste, perhaps it'll appear as art in the back of someones paperback or something.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should calle it, SJW eat this!!!

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@scouterv: How is The Killing Joke not relevant?

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not going to be published, nor do I think it should be. As much as I like the cover, Albequerque requested that it not be published, and I think his decision should be respected.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Think it deserves to be printed somewhere, if not at the back of a Batgirl TPB, then at the back of a TKJ edition that features other homage's to it.

@scouterv said:

@wrglfan2814: Irrelevant in the term that, while it happened, everyone has moved on.Why hasn't DC?

You are referring to comics, an industry thats survived 80 years largely on nostalgia.

MarvtheCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#changethecover the new gamergate at work it seems. You can't even show probably DC's evilest evil villain doing something bad to a female, just females not males( no one cares if you are a guy). It seems most of their arguments were you never see a male hero powerless... What makes it even more priceless is most of these people probably never read a comic in their lives and can tell from their post if you read it. The artist should be fired for pandering to these people in my option. If you can't stand by your art then why be a artist?

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie: Albuquerque's request was that the art not be published on the Batgirl comic.

I'm pretty sure he'd be down with having it included in a future printing of The Killing Joke or in some sort of Joker art book.

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvthecat: dude, chill. you are a little off topic for this thread. whether we like it or not we have all accepted that this variant cover won't happen. The thread's intent is to discuss what to do with this work of art now that it won't be on a Batgirl comic. Heck I don't even read Batgirl, but I do like the this piece of art and I feel that DC would do well to publish it somewhere.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@betaraybdw: That could be, but he didn't want it published because he didn't want to offend anyone. It seems like the same thing would happen with the same people if it where actually published in a Killing Joke re-print or in an art book - except the backlash could be worse, since DC already pulled the cover. Like I said, I love the cover, too, but I think it would be best if they just stuck to their guns on this one.

That's a great mock-cover, though. I would pick up a second copy in a heartbeat.

MarvtheCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@betaraybdw: I like the art too and I'm "chill." I thought it was on topic because it was being changed and artist doesn't want it to be used, and far as I can tell this is only site not saying why or talking about the subject. I wish they left it on the cover, if people liked it or not.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie: The only backlash DC should pay heed to would be a loss in sales due to it, which by the sounds of the amount of people who were planning on buying it for the cover alone it looks like there wouldn't be.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikhunt said:

@battle_forum_junkie: The only backlash DC should pay heed to would be a loss in sales due to it, which by the sounds of the amount of people who were planning on buying it for the cover alone it looks like there wouldn't be.

Controversy actually seems to boost sales in most cases. I know I wasn't thinking of picking the variant up until all this happened. :P

But I was really taking more about Albuquerque. If he was concerned that publishing the cover would offend people it doesn't seem like he wouldn't want to spark that again. People got upset enough before the cover was even released.

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

BetaRaybdw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BetaRaybdw

To those who have complimented the Mock cover, thank you. I'm thinking of including it as an option for the custom comic decoupage short boxes that I make (see my blog).

Another publication option I thought of for DC is on posters like the ones sold in comic shops, five below, etc. There's some damn creepy stuff on some of them, so I don't see how this would be much of an issue as a poster.