New Harbinger and Comics in General

OnlyZeusIsFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OnlyZeusIsFree

I'm new to comics, but not new to reading about them. I devour wiki pages about Marvel. I've read a lot of classic fiction, Dostoyevsky, Hemingway, etc., so I enjoy stories. But I am scared that I won't enjoy comics. I've recently tried to get into a few, and here's my gripe. The New Harbinger series so far seems very unoriginal. Kid has powers. Kid has friends. Kid must leave friends to answer his calling. This seems like the stuff that has been written and re-written for years, but the comic gets great reviews with people saying the plot and characters are very original. If Harbinger is an example of these things, I don't think I'll like comics.

What do you guys suggest considering my case? Any good recs?

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CrimsonCake

Kingdom Come

Civil war

New avengers

Avengers academy

I especially suggest the Dark knight returns from Frank Miller.

OnlyZeusIsFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OnlyZeusIsFree

ttt

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Twentyfive

The first comic that you should buy above all else is Watchmen. Get the whole trade paper back. After that, Batman: Year One. Then All-Star Superman, and you are on your way...

Watchmen, almost 30 years later, remains the best comic you'll ever read. And Year one and All-Star are the best comics of their respective characters.

OnlyZeusIsFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OnlyZeusIsFree

I have year one. I'm cracking it open tonight. Sweet. Thanks guys.

Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Katie24

Maybe you should try some comics that are not super hero comics. I would suggest Y:The Last Man, Saga, Queen and Country, and Sandman.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Imagine_Man15

Watchmen, Kingdom Come, 100 Bullets, Saga, and Sandman are all spectacular. There are more, but that's what comes to mind at the moment.

OnlyZeusIsFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OnlyZeusIsFree

Katie24, I googled those rec's, each looks spectacular. Saga has an amazing looking plot, plust the artwork is impressive and original. As for the other rec's mentioned by other members, Kingdom Come looks interesting. I like Marvel characters more than DC though, so here's to hoping I like Civil War more than Kingdom Come.

On a more specific note, I will be heartbroken if I have outgrown superheros. I have really been drawn into the Walking Dead Tv series, and it makes me think I have take a liking to drama. Perhaps super heros aren't going to deliver on that front. I guess we all grow up, though. Thanks for the help. Also, Year One was great, just wish it lasted longer and had more plot twists. But, I know think Gordon is a bigger bad ass than Batman.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

Sandman and Fables!

kamakazi152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kamakazi152

I've heard from a lot of people I Vampire is a great series, Fables, The Walking Dead trades, and read The Killing Joke, it's a must. Also if you like Marvel characters and you want to try to see if you could still like superheroes I would recommend The Amazing Spider-Man. Dan Slotts writing to me is amazing, I would give it a shot if you want to see.

Uno_Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Uno_Oscuro

@OnlyZeusIsFree said:

I'm new to comics, but not new to reading about them. I devour wiki pages about Marvel. I've read a lot of classic fiction, Dostoyevsky, Hemingway, etc., so I enjoy stories. But I am scared that I won't enjoy comics. I've recently tried to get into a few, and here's my gripe. The New Harbinger series so far seems very unoriginal. Kid has powers. Kid has friends. Kid must leave friends to answer his calling. This seems like the stuff that has been written and re-written for years, but the comic gets great reviews with people saying the plot and characters are very original. If Harbinger is an example of these things, I don't think I'll like comics.

What do you guys suggest considering my case? Any good recs?

Does it need to be MArvel and DC Superhero comics? Or can I suggest some indie stuff? And things that have little to nothing to do with superpowers.

OnlyZeusIsFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OnlyZeusIsFree

I am welcome to all suggestions, I am holding out hope that Marvel will appeal to my somewhat higher standards. It just seems like there has to be a writer out there, multitudes actually, that have seen exceptional potential for quality writing to be done in a super hero world. I went to the comic store today to check out Kingdom Come. I'll pick it up as soon as I have the cash (tomorrow maybe). I'll get back to you guys to say whether or not it is my bag.

If any of you guys need fiction/non-fiction rec's though, I can help out there since y'all are helping here. God Speed.