Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not? Writing a gay male character in the (batman/superman/wonderwoman/flash) family would be a serious win. Writers and editors won't have to worry about popularity of the new character because the he will be tagged with the name of (batman/superman/wonderwoman/flash) and instantly get coverage. Fans who hate "change for the sake of change" will be satisfied to see that an original character would be made and an existing character's history will be spared from the writer's eraser. Proponents of gay-characters (like myself) will be beyond happy to get an original character whose sexuality is major part of his back-story and character development (as it is in real life) rather than the "as a matter fact I'm gay and its no biggie" approach.

Just think about the story ideas:

A new gay robin (an unstable youth kick out by his parents for being gay fell into a life of crime and is now being rehabilitated and turned into a crime stopping force, perhaps undoing the wrong cause by his descent as he ascends to higher plane of morality)

a new gay kid flash (while on a typical day of running from his daily tormentors, a freak accident occurs and sends him into the speedforce and turning him into the new kid flash, he then uses his powers to get revenge till he see's something deeper in life and tryings to become a hero)

wonder boy (idolizing wonder woman, his queen B and diva and would do anything to be apart of his life, finds himself being blessed with the powers of the gods, what do you think he does, dons the red blight and blue and parades around fighting whatever bad guys he finds in the name of wonder woman)

a new gay superboy (whether by clone or a super villain who goes back in time and steals a kryptonion boy from krypton to raise him to be super killing device, the boy escapes and finds himself in a new strange world and tries to find out who he is, what he wants, and what does life have in store for him)

What do you guys think?

#1 Posted by TheAntiReVamp (389 posts) - - Show Bio

Give bunker a mentor.

#2 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149 said:

a new gay kid flash (while on a typical day of running from his daily tormentors, a freak accident occurs and sends him into the speedforce and turning him into the new kid flash, he then uses his powers to get revenge till he see's something deeper in life and tryings to become a hero)

wonder boy (idolizing wonder woman, his queen B and diva and would do anything to be apart of his life, finds himself being blessed with the powers of the gods, what do you think he does, dons the red blight and blue and parades around fighting whatever bad guys he finds in the name of wonder woman)

I hope nobody out there kills me but I like these two ideas.

#3 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149: Wonder Woman has a pretty good group of characters. Zola has mentioned she loves men, so she couldn't be gay, maybe bi? Lennox would interesting as gay. So would Hermes. A gay god! Trump that Marvel.

#4 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really against PC character race/sexuality changes but I wouldnt mind this. Im not too familiar with Flash/WW or Superman or their sidekicks but I already think Robins gay. They should just make Damian gay. But what they shouldn't do is reference it constantly like I imagine they would(I dont read GL or Astonishing X-Men). If its referenced in the odd issue thats great but dont make half of every book about Robin dealing with his sexuality.

#5 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like this idea...

#6 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not against making a sidekick for one of the major heroes that's gay and their being gay is explored as part of their identity and it's a big part of who they are, but there's a place for both them and for those whose sexuality isn't a major part of who they are. It would just have to be done well and thoughtfully rather then 'lets make a gay Robin and attract headlines/customers!'.

#7 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not against this idea, but would it really make the story more interesting and how? Sex is just sex and I never saw that as a pivotal component of super heroes stories. I can't remember the name of the various Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne girl friends and Spider Man would still be spider man wether he dates gorgeous girls or not.

On the other hand, I can remember all the interesting detective stories and scientific components of the major arks.

Why is it that all of a sudden everybody wants to put more sex stories in comics?

#8 Posted by Crimson_Butterfly (33 posts) - - Show Bio

Its actually a good idea but lets face it a homophobe will be a homophobe it doesnt matter if the characters story revolve around his sexuality or his just "gay and its no biggie" they will hate the character.

#9 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crimson_Butterfly said:

Its actually a good idea but lets face it a homophobe will be a homophobe it doesnt matter if the characters story revolve around his sexuality or his just "gay and its no biggie" they will hate the character.

yuuup!

#10 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Sidekicks are out this season.

#11 Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis: i understand what you are saying but your thinking of a different perspective than the one i was referring too, its not about the sex stories its about social interactions, in many cases being homosexual changes your life dramatically (in contrast if you were hetero), and causes you to make decisions completely different like be friends with different people, go different places, perhaps find a new path to life, for example i was really interested in basketball when i was younger but never joined the basket ball team because it was filled with homophobic trolls who would have just made my life miserable, if i had been straight i would have joined that team with hardly any qualms and my current like would be different

#12 Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

@umbrafeline said:

@Crimson_Butterfly said:

yuuup!

to be honest i didn't even factor in homophobes, they're just noise and no one really points out to them unless to make a point

#13 Posted by TheBigRedCheese (372 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Boy? I don't know about that one.

The others sound alright, but if this is for diversity, I rather see another Native American character and a short male superhero who is an adult.

Always loved Turok and Wolverine.

A Transsexual sidekick would get people talking. Lol.

Just my opinion.

#14 Edited by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheBigRedCheese said:

Wonder Boy? I don't know about that one.

The others sound alright, but if this is for diversity, I rather see another Native American character and a short male superhero who is an adult.

Always loved Turok and Wolverine.

A Transsexual sidekick would get people talking. Lol.

Just my opinion.

i think a mtf and/or a ftm transsexual would be a good idea

@Agent9149

said:

@umbrafeline said:

@Crimson_Butterfly said:

yuuup!

to be honest i didn't even factor in homophobes, they're just noise and no one really points out to them unless to make a point

yuuup!

#15 Posted by _Zombie_ (10323 posts) - - Show Bio

The kid flash idea is pretty good. The rest didn't interest me all that much.

#16 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149: I see what you mean, and homophobic people are just people afraid about themselves in general, but I'm not sure a gay sidekick would change or improve that. Good luck anyway.

#17 Posted by batshrine (969 posts) - - Show Bio

@knighthood: Fun fact, almost all if not all male greek gods are bisexual. They have had female and male lovers.

And as a side note, I really like the concept of a kid joining the Bat family because he got kicked out of his family due to sexuality. Though he should join it on his own, not as a Robin. Or maybe give Nightwing a sidekick, the first ever sidekick to the first ever sidekick!