inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Dynamite Entertainment is proud to announce that Swords of Sorrow, the epic crossover of female characters conceived of by fan-favorite and bestselling writer Gail Simone, will continue to expand its reach in June and July with new tie-in comic book projects, each helmed by a female writer. In June, Dynamite will debut Swords of Sorrow: Dejah Thoris & Irene Adler, a three-issue miniseries by Leah Moore, as well as the Swords of Sorrow: Black Sparrow & Lady Zorro Special by Erica Schultz. One month later, the three-part Swords of Sorrow: Red Sonja / Jungle Girl miniseries will release its first issue, written by Marguerite Bennett. The tie-in storylines, created to explore ideas introduced in Simone's core series, will run concurrently throughout the summer with Swords of Sorrow and additional announced tie-in titles.

In June, writer Erica Schultz (best known for her work on the M3 comic book series and the original graphic novel Revenge: The Secret Origin of Emily Thorne) will team with artist Cristhian Crizam Zamora to deliver Swords of Sorrow: Black Sparrow / Lady Zorro, a one-shot special that unites the Western heroine with the shady mercenary first introduced in the pages of The Shadow. In the done-in-one issue, Lady Zorro and The Black Sparrow join forces to fight a wicked prince's Shards of Chaos in a prehistoric land. "It's very exciting to be able to experiment creatively with characters from different eras and place them in these unusual situations," says Schultz. "This whole crossover runs the gamut of genres, and I think it'll be very exciting for fans."

Also that month, writer Leah Moore returns to Dynamite on Swords of Sorrow: Dejah Thoris & Irene Adler #1, the first chapter in a miniseries illustrated by Francesco Manna. Moore's previous work at the company included several stints as co-writer on various Sherlock Holmes series, so her return to explore the resourceful Holmes character Irene Adler is sure to be well-received by fans. Issue #1 will reintroduce Adler as a fugitive, a master of disguise, and a femme fatale, but even she is surprised to find herself made bounty hunter, tracking savage foes across the grimy streets of London. Meanwhile, in a far-off world, Princess Dejah Thoris (of Dynamite's Warlord of Mars series) is defending Barsoom against an influx of trespassers and ready to put the guilty to her sword. The world-colliding events of Swords of Sorrow then bring these dangerous women together, with unexpected results.

No Caption Provided

In July, writer Marguerite Bennett (Angela, A-Force) will bring together two of Dynamite's most action-oriented characters in Swords of Sorrow: Red Sonja / Jungle Girl #1, featuring art by Mirka Andolfo. Of the crossover, Bennet says, "Red Sonja / Jungle Girl is pulpy, witty, charming, campy, and packed full of more action than one chainmail bikini can contain. As the Rift begins to set entire worlds crashing into each other, an ice wyrm from far Hyrkanian tears through the portal, raining down destruction the likes of which Jana's jungle has never seen. The once-tropical island is plunged into winter as chaos overtakes the jungle with killing cold. Red Sonja and Jana the Jungle Girl must battle magic, monsters, Mistress Hel, and each other to destroy the cause of the curse and return balance to the world."

"Gail has brought in incredible creators for the strongest female event of the year. This is the only event that is lead by all female writers and bringing in female artists on series. From Marguerite Bennett to Erica Schultz, Leah Moore, Nancy Collins and so many female writers as well as female artists. It's one of our biggest events ever, and this is the opportunity for fans who want more comics with female voices will be able to enjoy each and every comic. We can't wait for the fans to check each series out." States Dynamite CEO/Publisher Nick Barrucci.

Artist Jay Anacleto will provide the cover artwork for both Swords of Sorrow: Dejah Thoris & Irene Adler and Swords of Sorrow: Red Sonja / Jungle Girl #1, while artist Joyce Chin is contributing cover artwork to the Swords of Sorrow: Black Sparrow & Lady Zorro Special.

Swords of Sorrow and related titles will be solicited in Diamond Comic Distributors' Previews catalog, the premiere source of merchandise for the comic book specialty market. Comic book fans are encouraged to reserve copies of Swords of Sorrow with their local comic book retailers. The Swords of Sorrow titles will also be available for individual customer purchase through digital platforms courtesy of Comixology, Dynamite Digital, iVerse, and Dark Horse Digital.

No Caption Provided

McHotcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Feminism will truly succeed when we can stop needing to advertising things written by women as if its some how a big accomplishment.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been waiting for this!

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By sasquatch888

Feminism will truly succeed when we can stop needing to advertising things written by women as if its some how a big accomplishment.

is this really the forum for political statements? and it is an accomplishment because there has never been a crossover project by all women like this one ...and comics are a male dominated medium that woman creators are making big inroads into finally

McHotcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mchotcakes said:

is this really the forum for political statements? and it is an accomplishment because there has never been a crossover project by all women like this one ...and comics are a male dominated medium that woman creators are making big inroads into finally

I just don't think that the sex of the writer is a big deal. Promoting the event as a women only thing kind of counteracts the progress being made imo. The event is overshadowed by the headlines of 'women writers write' instead of the focus on the actually story they are writing. Also the event focuses on female characters, now if the writers specifically chose to write for these characters then good on them, but it feels like the editors said something like female writers have to write female characters.

I just feel like the whole 'girl power' aspect that companies play up actually hurts the female writers more than anything, because it says women have to have women related stories in order to write competently. I understand that an all women team event is a milestone, but I would prefer it as a footnote rather than a headline. Because otherwise it is overshadowed by its own promotion.

Also about the politics thing, I don't know how often you visit gen discussion, but political topics come up all of the time, even in 'non-political' threads.

Avatar image for gothicshieldagent
gothicshieldagent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gothicshieldagent

There are tons of comics with female characters,half my collection has female characters,so I know there are more than you think. I'm 42 and collected off and on my whole life,there are many female writers,artists and creators now and many female characters. But I don't like characters that are male being re-written as females or re-written as another race simply to appease the media and Twitter's political agenda. If I wanted politics,I'd watch C-Span. This book looks good honestly that's MY agenda to enjoy comics,male,female,black,white,gay,etc because that is how it should be. Forgive the soapbox.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will we get variant covers were the female characters are naked, just blocking anything with their hands? Or boobs touching, & almost kissing?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7 NightFang3  Online

I'm looking forward to this crossover.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sasquatch888

@mchotcakes said:

@sasquatch888 said:

@mchotcakes said:

I just don't think that the sex of the writer is a big deal. Promoting the event as a women only thing kind of counteracts the progress being made imo. The event is overshadowed by the headlines of 'women writers write' instead of the focus on the actually story they are writing. Also the event focuses on female characters, now if the writers specifically chose to write for these characters then good on them, but it feels like the editors said something like female writers have to write female characters.

I just feel like the whole 'girl power' aspect that companies play up actually hurts the female writers more than anything, because it says women have to have women related stories in order to write competently. I understand that an all women team event is a milestone, but I would prefer it as a footnote rather than a headline. Because otherwise it is overshadowed by its own promotion.

Also about the politics thing, I don't know how often you visit gen discussion, but political topics come up all of the time, even in 'non-political' threads.

I could see you have a valid point of view that slightly differs from my own ,,,still valid ...kudos...though I have to say that I told my 17 yr old daughter about this event,, she is casually interested in comics and gravitates towards female characters and she was really interested so there might be something to this promotion that resonates with women

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 owie  Moderator

I don't know a hell of a lot about most of these characters in particular. But at least based on the covers here, they look a lot more like they're using women as sex objects than as subjects. These are classic boobs-galore images. If the writing is supposed to be about female empowerment, then the art should try to match it.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Feminist will still moan about her outfit.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Female writers but Dejah is still running around naked.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@ostyo: Why shouldn't she be half naked? That's how she is traditionally drawn. Just like the majority of female characters have huge boobs and perfect butts. It's a Comicbook.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: Wow. That's some sound reasoning you got.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By mickey-mouse

@ostyo: I'm actually trying to ascertain actually what point you are trying to make about a character that has been around for years and has always been half naked? If you actually read these set of comics then at this point it's not even a topic you should be complaining about.

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder what would be the reaction if a bunch of male writers got together to write an all male comic book.

DrApplebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie said:

I don't know a hell of a lot about most of these characters in particular. But at least based on the covers here, they look a lot more like they're using women as sex objects than as subjects. These are classic boobs-galore images. If the writing is supposed to be about female empowerment, then the art should try to match it.

They're the protagonists of the book. How are they not the subjects?

Also, plenty of women like "boobs-galore" images. You should see how large the female fanbase is for Zenescope.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@ostyo said:

Get over it. If you'd read the original novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs, you'd know that that's how the character has always been designed. Dynamite are simply remaining true to the original source material.

SirNeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

Women are fighting to be allowed to be walk around with tits out, so why can't they draw like that.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 owie  Moderator

@owie said:

They're the protagonists of the book. How are they not the subjects?

Also, plenty of women like "boobs-galore" images. You should see how large the female fanbase is for Zenescope.

When a character is written/drawn as something to be ogled instead of someone to be identified with, they're objects, not subjects. There are plenty of female characters who are written/drawn this way. It objectifies them in a way that men are rarely treated. It's not a matter of nudity necessarily, but how they are protrayed. Backs bent and twisted to simultaneously show jutting T&A, that kind of thing. Think of how women and sexuality are portrayed in a lot of Dynamite books versus how its dealt with in Saga, for instance, which also has abundant nudity and sex but deals with it in an adult manner that respects everyone involved.

DrApplebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DrApplebox

@owie:

When a character is written/drawn as something to be ogled instead of someone to be identified with, they're objects, not subjects

Why can't they be appealing and still be identified with? Why are those two things mutually exclusive?

Think of how women and sexuality are portrayed in a lot of Dynamite books versus how its dealt with in Saga, for instance, which also has abundant nudity and sex but deals with it in an adult manner that respects everyone involved.

God forbid we disrespect a drawing.

Everything you have stated has been subjective opinion. What you find disrespectful is not what many women would consider to be disrespectful.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 owie  Moderator

@owie:

"When a character is written/drawn as something to be ogled instead of someone to be identified with, they're objects, not subjects"

Why can't they be appealing and still be identified with? Why are those two things mutually exclusive?

"Think of how women and sexuality are portrayed in a lot of Dynamite books versus how its dealt with in Saga, for instance, which also has abundant nudity and sex but deals with it in an adult manner that respects everyone involved."

God forbid we disrespect a drawing.

Everything you have stated has been subjective opinion. What you find disrespectful is not what many women would consider to be disrespectful.

First of all, obviously I'm stating my opinion, and you're stating yours. It's fine if you think many women don't think the kind of images I'm talking about are disrespectful, but you should be aware that quite a few do.

My whole point about Saga is that it shows men and women in sexual situations that are appealing, and can also be identified with. Those things are obviously not mutually exclusive. But just as obviously, many drawings objectify the characters as targets of the male gaze, and not to act as characters to be identified with. I don't think that's exactly controversial.

DrApplebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DrApplebox

@owie said:

First of all, obviously I'm stating my opinion, and you're stating yours. It's fine if you think many women don't think the kind of images I'm talking about are disrespectful, but you should be aware that quite a few do.

And there are even more who don't have a problem with it or enjoy it.

@owie said:

My whole point about Saga is that it shows men and women in sexual situations that are appealing, and can also be identified with. Those things are obviously not mutually exclusive. But just as obviously, many drawings objectify the characters as targets of the male gaze, and not to act as characters to be identified with.

How does that relate to these covers? The women on these covers are obviously meant to be identified with in some fashion since they are the protagonists of the book, as I said before. All three covers shown show the women partaking in some kind of action. None are in a position of submissiveness. Your "subject-object" dichotomy is poorly applied here.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 owie  Moderator

@owie said:

And there are even more who don't have a problem with it or enjoy it.

@owie said:

My whole point about Saga is that it shows men and women in sexual situations that are appealing, and can also be identified with. Those things are obviously not mutually exclusive. But just as obviously, many drawings objectify the characters as targets of the male gaze, and not to act as characters to be identified with.

How does that relate to these covers? The women on these covers are obviously meant to be identified with in some fashion since they are the protagonists of the book, as I said before. All three covers shown show the women partaking in some kind of action. None are in a position of submissiveness. Your "subject-object" dichotomy is poorly applied here.

Let me bring this to a more abstract level before I continue, because I'm honestly interested--do you think there is no such thing as comic art that is disrespectful to women, or just that these images in particular don't?

DrApplebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie said:

Let me bring this to a more abstract level before I continue, because I'm honestly interested--do you think there is no such thing as comic art that is disrespectful to women, or just that these images in particular don't?

I don't think there isn't art that can be disrespectful to women, but I don't think cheesecake art is. And there isn't really a single universal degrading image that has implications for all women like how say a sambo drawing would be disrespectful to all black people. If someone were to make a comic book adaptation of the Gor novels, then that would probably contain art that is disrespectful to women, but it would be more than just a single image.

As for these covers in particular, I think I've made it clear that I don't find them disrespectful.