New Comic Reader...Where to Start?

UnitOmicron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm wanting to get into DC comics and I have absolutely no idea on where to begin. What should I begin with? I love Dick Grayson and Slade Wilson, if that helps at all.

Bboyyomama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read red hood and the outlaws

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@unitomicron: Watchmen is my general answer but if you like nightwing you should check out Grayson.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try out a few and see what you like. If you like the writing and the art then try more stuff by that creator. Takes time, but you will figure out what you enjoy.

UnitOmicron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there any specific reading that I should get into to get caught up with DC so far in the New 52?

Bboyyomama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bboyyomama

Just read the 1st issue of everything and see what you like.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe try nightwing trade paperbacks from the beginning of the new 52. You can read the whole series rather quickly and then go from there. You said you like dick Grayson, so that is a great place to start.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@unitomicron: nightwing, Grayson,green arrow but it's not like the others. Suicide squad now has deathstroke. Also if you like nightwing try amazing spider man

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@unitomicron: Crisis on Infinite Earths. It's no longer canon, but it'll give you an idea of what events should be like, at the very least.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

for Green Arrow, most people feel like it starts at issue 17 when Jeff Lemire started writing, before that it wasn't the greatest(in the new 52)

Aquaman is pretty good from the start

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Pick a character you're interested in and start with the first issue or the first trade paperback of whatever New 52 series he or she is in. In your case, I recommend Nightwing and Batman.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Read red hood and the outlaws

Do you actually like this series? I've dropped it so I haven't read it lately. However, when I was reading it, the series was quite mediocre. It didn't suck but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. (+)

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@unitomicron said:

I'm wanting to get into DC comics and I have absolutely no idea on where to begin. What should I begin with? I love Dick Grayson and Slade Wilson, if that helps at all.

New 52 is the best place to start (if people try to tell you otherwise, ignore them), and Dick Grayson just got a new series https://www.readdcentertainment.com/Grayson-2014-1/digital-comic/1309900015001

If your only interested in reading about him as Nightwing then check out this series https://www.readdcentertainment.com/Nightwing-2011-2014/comics-series/6663

If you need anymore advice on getting into comics then I suggest this channel https://www.youtube.com/user/SprEffective

Also here are some really good videos to help:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

P.S. Welcome to comic Vine, if you ever need anything just let me know :)

Bboyyomama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

There's a new Deathstroke series coming out in a few days, it's going to be my first DC comic, maybe you'd like it.

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/deathstroke-2014/deathstroke-1

Then there was his initial New 52 series which I heard good things about

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deathstroke-TP-Vol-01-Legacy/dp/140123481X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413778422&sr=1-1&keywords=deathstroke+new+52

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@bboyyomama: It was just ok. I'm on a budget so okay titles get dropped. There are too many comics I want to buy and so many I adore reading to pay for an okay comic which was Red Hood and The Outlaws. I did not feel a strong connection to the characters. I didn't become emotionally invested in their struggle. I didn't love reading the issues like I did with Remender's X-Force, Waid's Irredeemable, Fraction's Hawkeye, or Yost's Scarlet Spider.

Why do you enjoy the series so much?

(+)

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@unitomicron said:

There's a new Deathstroke series coming out in a few days, it's going to be my first DC comic, maybe you'd like it.

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/deathstroke-2014/deathstroke-1

Then there was his initial New 52 series which I heard good things about

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deathstroke-TP-Vol-01-Legacy/dp/140123481X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413778422&sr=1-1&keywords=deathstroke+new+52

Actually his initial series was very poorly received. I'm hoping the new one will be better, but from everything I've read it does not paint a good picture (still hoping though).

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A great resource you can get for free (either from your local comic store, or online via comixology or DC) is called:

The DC Entertainment Graphic Novel Essentials and Chronology 2014.

Its a guide to all the DC characters, and lists their major arcs, and the books they're in, it also shows you where they stand in the DC universe timeline.