Graceful_s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Graceful_s

Hey there,

So I'm a new comic book reader and I really want to know some good batman related comics to read. One concern is that I am still under my parents authority and they told me to not read any "bad comics", so that is my only guideline. I'm very lucky to have two comic book stores on opposite sides from my phone just a walk away, so I went there and noticed that the new 52 comics no longer have all of the issues available. How would I get them?? Also I am a huge fan of the joker, and good comics with him in it?

Thank you,

Grace

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Define "bad comics" and I can go from there. Batman has a lot of dark material.

Is this a sex and / or violence thing? If so, to what level are we talking about?

Aside from that, the best way to read older issues is to buy TPBs (Trade Paper Backs) or buy comics online via places like Comixology (I prefer TPBs, but that's me). I like to buy my TPBs off Amazon. Buying a single TPB covers an arc, or part of an arc. A single TPB is actually cheaper than buying the individual issues contained in them.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JonSmith

One concern is that I am still under my parents authority and they told me to not read any "bad comics".

Also I am a huge fan of the joker, and good comics with him in it?

... Uh... well... Considering the most recent comic storyline he was in... I'm afraid you've got a problem. Welcome to the site, though.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You should just skip getting the old new 52 Batman comics and start with issue 21 of Scott Snyder's Batman series. The most recent story arc that started last month is exploring Batman's origins in the new 52 so it is pretty new reader accessible.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JediXMan  Moderator

It's also worth mentioning that I am really behind in regards to new comics. So the stuff I'd be recommending is some older (made within the last 5-10 years, possibly older) but really good comics.

Graceful_s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, my parents are annoying, but I'm pretty sure they mean comics with sexual stuff in it. Also, I have read the killing joke, (I don't own it though) so I am ok with the creepy, and violent stuff. As long as it doesn't show anything inapporiate (I know the killing joke had batgirl nude it in, but it didn't show anything really)

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Yeah, my parents are annoying, but I'm pretty sure they mean comics with sexual stuff in it. Also, I have read the killing joke, (I don't own it though) so I am ok with the creepy, and violent stuff. As long as it doesn't show anything inapporiate (I know the killing joke had batgirl nude it in, but it didn't show anything really)

Hm...

I'm hesitant to recommend Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth. It doesn't have any nudity (at least that I can remember), but it has extremely disturbing imagery as well as a really dark tone. The most chilling things are said, not shown. The art itself is really warped.

Batman: Hush might be a good idea. Not too violent, and no sex that I remember (kissing, discussions regarding relationships, but no actual sex, if memory serves).

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Saren

There's aJoker-centric arc of Batman Confidential that I really love, called Do You Understand These Rights? It's from issues 22-25 and there should be a trade. It's great for new readers and has no sexual content, albeit a good bit of violence.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@graceful_s: Do knightfall where Bane breaks Batman that was one of my first comics

Graceful_s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok so I just bought all of the injustice comics, and my parents were fine with that, and I noticed on the comic that it was rated teen. My guess is that anything rated teen should be good (I am a teenager after all).

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

How about Gotham Central? It doesn't center around Batman but it's pretty good. The Joker actually had a good story in that.
BB

Kangaxx_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kangaxx_54

@citizenbane: That's a very good story, I second it. The trade is called Dead to Rights, and collects issue 22-25 + 29-30.

The Man who Laughs is another trade focusing on Joker. I think it might be set just before Dead to Rights? Anyway, it's Batman and Gotham's first meeting with the Joker. The focus is more on that than the Joker himself.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lilben42

@graceful_s: Yeah by the latest arc in the Batman series. Its called Batman zero year. I think it also has Joker in it before he became the Joker. The man who laughs is a great story.Just putting out there. A new huge event called Trinity War is coming out and Batman plays a big part in that.