#1 Posted by McLovin123 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey guys! I've just recently started getting into comics. I have about 30 so far. I've mostly read the older stuff (all marvel) but I got the first issues of Uncanny Avengers. I was really confused about it though since I know nothing about the X-Men. I got the first 3 issues of Dare Devil End of days and really enjoyed those! So should I dive into an ongoing series or start with a new series of Marvel Now?

#2 Posted by Strider92 (16454 posts) - - Show Bio

or could one of you guys move this to general discussion? This doesn't seem to belong in the Spider-man forum.

#3 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7837 posts) - - Show Bio

Swamp Thing

Superman

Action Comics

Aquaman

Flash

Green Lantern

Green Lantern Corps.

Thor: God of Thunder

Captain America

Indestructible Hulk

#4 Posted by Sovereign91001 (4401 posts) - - Show Bio

@McLovin123:

First off, welcome to Comicvine.

Second since your posting in the Spidey section I'd reccomend you pick up Dan Slott's Amazing Spider-Man run; Big Time, Spider-Island, Ends Of the Earth.

It started in ASM 648. It's been really good and it'll catch you up on events up to ASM 700 and the debuting Superior Spider-Man. Also I'd avoid AvX.

#5 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

I recommend Kingdom Come.

In fact I DEMAND Kingdom Come.

#6 Posted by tomlikesfries (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

You can start with the New 52 for DC and the Marvel NOW! reboot for Marvel. You were probably confused with the Uncanny Avengers because you didn't read Avengers vs. X-men. Anyway, all you need to know is that Cyclops took over the Phoenix Force and caused complete chaos, by also murdering his mentor Charles Xavier. I recommend:

Marvel NOW! titles:

  • Thor: God of Thunder
  • Indestructible Hulk
  • All-New X-men (for a better understanding of this title, you have to know this: With the help of Magneto, Cyclops broke out of prison and they are now outlaws).
  • Avengers by Hickman and Opeña.
  • FF by Fraction and Allred
  • Fantastic Four by Fraction
  • Captain America by Remender and Romita Jr.

Marvel NOW! titles you should avoid:

  • Iron Man by Gillen.
  • Thunderbolts by Way and Dillon.

To see the Marvel NOW! titles that are yet to be released, check out its wiki page: http://www.comicvine.com/marvel-now/12-56129/

#7 Edited by tomlikesfries (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52 titles:

  • Batman by Snyder and Capullo
  • Animal Man by Lemire
  • Aquaman by Geoff Johns
  • Swamp Thing by Snyder
  • I, Vampire by Fialkov
  • Wonder Woman by Azzarello
  • Flash by (Forgot the writer's name)
  • Green Lantern by Geoff Johns.
#8 Posted by SmashBrawler (5732 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomlikesfries said:

Marvel NOW! titles:

  • Thor: God of Thunder
  • Indestructible Hulk
  • All-New X-men (for a better understanding of this title, you have to know this: With the help of Magneto, Cyclops broke out of prison and they are now outlaws).
  • Avengers by Hickman and Opeña.
  • FF by Fraction and Allred
  • Fantastic Four by Fraction
  • Captain America by Remender and Romita Jr.

Marvel NOW! titles you should avoid:

  • Iron Man by Gillen.
  • Thunderbolts by Way and Dillon.

@tomlikesfries said:

New 52 titles:

  • Batman by Snyder and Capullo
  • Animal Man by Lemire
  • Aquaman by Geoff Johns
  • Swamp Thing by Snyder
  • I, Vampire by Fialkov
  • Wonder Woman by Azzarello
  • Flash by (Forgot the writer's name)
  • Green Lantern by Geoff Johns.

This + Action Comics.

@tomlikesfries said:

  • Flash by (Forgot the writer's name)

Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato.

#9 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@McLovin123:

When I started reading I just kind of dove in. Just pick some titles and give them a try. It really doesn't take long to catch on.

Some of my favorite titles in Marvel right now are:

  • Captain Marvel
  • X-Factor
  • Avengers Assemble
  • Avengers

And if you look at DC:

  • Batwoman
  • Wonder Woman
  • Aquaman
  • Batman
  • Justice League
  • Justice League Dark
#10 Posted by jacksonvillewriter (44 posts) - - Show Bio

@McLovin123: Get Saga by Brian K Vaughn and Fiona Staples on Image Comics. It's hands down the best book this year, and it's only 8 issues into the run so I'll be easy to catch up.

Also, Comixology does a 99 cent Marvel Monday sale if you want to catch up on various back issues.

#11 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@McLovin123 said:

Hey guys! I've just recently started getting into comics. I have about 30 so far. I've mostly read the older stuff (all marvel) but I got the first issues of Uncanny Avengers. I was really confused about it though since I know nothing about the X-Men. I got the first 3 issues of Dare Devil End of days and really enjoyed those! So should I dive into an ongoing series or start with a new series of Marvel Now?

I recommend this as recent comics

from DC

I, Vampire

Animal Man

Swamp Thing

Demon Knights

All-star Western

Batman

Batman & Robin

Aquaman

and Green Lantern

from Marvel I can really recommend

Hawkeye, its the best comic in marvel right now

and Old Stuff

Kingdom Come

Morrison's Batman run

Brian K Miller's Batgirl

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing

Y: The Last Man

Neil Gaiman's Sandman

Morrison's Animal Man

Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery

Rucka's and Brubaker's Gotham Central

#12 Posted by McLovin123 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm loving the comic book community. Wait, is there a special name for the comic book community?

#13 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I would get some trades dude.

Get a good background of the characters you like :)

#14 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5054 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Now titles: Avengers, Thor God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Hawkeye, Fantastic Four, Captain America, FF, Avengers Assemble, Daredevil. DC New 52: Batman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Aquaman. Image: Invincible, Walking Dead, Saga, Savage Dragon, Fatale, Happy. Dark Horse: The Goon, Anything Hellboy. Valiant Comics: X-O Manowar, Shadowman, Bloodshot. Dynamite: The Boys.

#15 Posted by Charetter115 (475 posts) - - Show Bio
The upcoming JLA series
#16 Posted by Loki9876 (3045 posts) - - Show Bio

buy some trade paperbacks like batman court of owls.