new avengers, fearless defenders, x-men, and mighty avengers

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The New Avengers/illuminati that is an all male team( yes i know black swan is in it. But the main members are all male) a great comic book... and never called a gimmick. In fact nobody ever questions its legtimacy. And is also a mostly white cast.

Meanwhile i've seen Fearless Defenders and X-men( the new one) and even the new Mighty avengers series thats coming out be called gimmicks for being an all female main cast, or a mostly PoC cast? Now in the case of fearless defenders And xmen i have also heard praise about it. And migty avengers isnt ou yet so we can tell its success.

But why is it that when a comic book focuses on stuff that isnt a white male or a group of mostly white males its called a gimmick by some?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

The fact that women are sometimes thought of as a minority baffles me, and it really annoys me when people say that there are too many women on a team. The thing about X-Men is that Marvel themselves are using the sex of the members as a gimmick, seeing as they had the "XX" teaser images, and they call them X-Women in the solicits.

I think some people think of white males as being the 'standard/default' person, and that any variation is just there to try and appeal to "non-default" people, like some kind of sales gimmick. This is a bad way of thinking in my opinion.

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ShadowX

@v_scarlotte_rose: agreed on pretty much everything. Although yeah population wise woman are not minorities( we are actually a majority with 51%) socially we are a minority in that we are still face opression within the contents of society. Which is messed up