New 52 titles to read to get a good grasp on the New DC?

Doc85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I have the first hundred weeks or so of all New 52 runs available to me, and I want to become semi well versed in the New 52 universe. I see the relaunch as an opportunity to get in on the ground floor and really feel like I know what's going on, as opposed to prior to New 52 when it felt like the challenge of getting current was just to large to tackle. So what would you all recommend as required reading, recommended supplementals, and just for fun?

Also, I love the Flash, and I have since before I read comic books, have read Wally West's entire run, and would definitely appreciate any tips on books or arcs that feature speedsters being badass!

Avatar image for captaintightpants12
CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Well, as far as best books to get a grasp on the New 52, I'd definitely focus on the Justice League books (Justice League, Justice League of America, and Justice League Dark) because most of the major universe stories are run through them.

As far as the best books to read in terms of the best runs, I'd select:

• Aquaman by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis
  • Batman by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
  • Flash by Francis Manapul and Brian Bucelleto
  • Swamp Thing by Scott Snyder and Yanck Paquette, plus Charles Soule's run
  • Wonder Woman by Brian Azzerello and Cliff Chaing

You'll also wanna read Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow run (starts at #17) as it's one of the best books in print right now. Superman Unchained mini-series is also outstanding, as is the current Greg Pak run on Action Comics and his Batman/Superman book as well as Charles Soule's Superman/Wonder Woman title.

You could also throw in Geoff John's Green Lantern book, but that means you also have to read Green Lantern Corps, New Guardians, and Red Lanterns to keep up with what the hell is going on, and those books were far behind Johns' book in terms of quality. So that kind of makes it a chore.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By PapiNacho

@captaintightpants12: You don't really need to read anything but Green Lantern, the rest of the books where of lesser quality, because nothing of importance happened during the crossovers. I would also add Earth 2 and Lemire's Animal Man to your recommendations.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id say Superman/ Wonder Woman is all around the best written book, and it has fantastic art as well. It gives a good window into the New52 universe as well, from the tone, to the current status quo. If I could only read one book, this would be it.

Avatar image for xxedward_kenwayxx
XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc85: to get a grasp of the new52 universe you should read the justice league and teen Titan books. books, the stories revolve around them. And if you just wanna read good titles I recommend:

1. Aquaman

2. Superman unchained mini series( terrific)

3. Superman/Wonder Woman(really fun)

4. Batman

5. Action comics

6. Flash

7. Green lantern

8. Wonder Woman. These are all really good books, check them out man.

CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papinacho: ....Those books literally ran the stories through each other. You'd have Part 1 in one book, Part 2 in another, and then Part 3 in a third. It was like that all the time outside of the two or three issue arcs they had in-between the events. That's literally the only reason that I picked up those other titles, and then dropped them post-Johns, when they finally decided to put some space between them.

Earth 2 was great at the start, but really tailed off for me and I dropped it. I can definitely recommend the first six-to-ten issues or so. Couldn't get into Animal Man's book, but like the character well enough and enjoyed him during his cross-over with Swamp Thing.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By PapiNacho

@captaintightpants12: Yeah but everything that happened in those GLC/GLNG parts was the Korvac guide analyzing Kyle Rayner, John Stewart's and Guy Gardner's minds.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman, green arrow, aquaman, and justice league are really good. And I strongly suggest reading Trinity war and forever evil since its the first big crossover in new 52 and features most characters, even all of the villians.

Batman/superman is a very good book and should be read as well. Maybe green lantern too. Superman/wonder woman I hear is good but the common consensus I've been getting is that while being well written and drawn, wonder woman is kind of second fiddle and it depends on if you like that romantic pairing.

Doc85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CaptainTightpants12, @deaditegonzo, @xxedward_kenwayxx Thanks, I'll hit those next. I'm not really that into Wonder Woman, but if it's a well written run, then maybe this will be a good chance for the character to grow on me. Does Swamp Thing tie into the rest of the DC universe that much? I was planning on getting to it, but I always thought of it as a "side book", as Swamp Thing hasn't appeared in any of the big cross-over events I've read.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Bierschneeman

most of what hasn't been cancelled (im not counting relaunches like the new Nightwing and... title that will replace Nightwing, this means Nightwing HAS NOT been cancelled) should be pretty good to get you going on the New52

Green Lantern is REALLY GOOD, you may need some back knowledge though since they kept a lot of the history intact. BUT.... they are writing it so very well that they fill you in on most of it. (this all applies to all Green Lantern Spinoffs as well)

Batman is also REALLY GOOD, and also has much of its history intact. again, the history isn't much needed as the writing is very well done.

Batman and... has been consistently good as well, and has the same history intact, but makes for a good read (sometimes great) because the writing helps the story (same goes for Batgirl and batwoman, though I dropped batwoman I hear it is still consistently really good)

Nightwing is good, consistently. the only back knowledge you really need is, Dick Grayson used to be Robin, had a falling out with Bruce, and became Nightwing...there, you are all caught up.

Aquaman seems to try and re-establish the character. GREAT relaunch title. they make it seem like thats the first ever aquaman series. this is the epitamy of what the whole New52 should have been.

Swamp Thing and Animal Man are both really good. they left a smidgen of back history, but never reference it without explaning it first. both REALLY GOOD, if you only picked one. Swamp thing.

Wonder Woman is also REALLY good and relaunches her history a bit (but this has been done like 3-5 times already, and its mostly reverting to an earlier version)

Justice League Dark is another one that I recommend that really good, and very relaunched.

Batwing is brand new title to comics FOR the New52, David Zavimbe is my new favorite character, but his replacement is...good (I admit begrudgingly)

Justice League IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from what you know. more than any other title I have mentioned before, this is a completely reworked title, they left NONE of the history intact and start out right from its formation makes sense since this was supposed to be the New52 Flagship title. although I don't recommend it as much as the others... it ranges from decent to really good.

The Flash,,.... I have a hard time recommending this one. the art is beautiful, the story is great but individual issues can be left lacking sometimes (as the plot drags along) thats not enough for me to not recommend it, what would, would be the fact that they keep referencing pre52 stuff, and pretending it didn't happen at the same time, so you need pre52 knowledge but you don't. its on my pull list if that helps.

their young justice titles are doing horribly. they keep getting cancelled, and out of ..7 titles, the last one will be cancelled soon (teen titans) I recommend just avoiding any of their Young Justice titles

besides that there are other great titles, I just wouldn't say they epitamize the New52

(All Star Western, Talon(another brand new New52 title), Superman/ (both), Suicide Squad, Constantine et cetera et cetera.)

CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc85: Swamp Thing has emerged as a key character in the DCU, and interacts frequently with the Justice League Dark. His cross-over with Animal Man and most of the DCU during RotWorld was nothing short of fantastic.

Also, the Wonder Woman run (the entirety of her book in the New 52) has been the best she's ever been done, and is second to only Scott Snyder's Batman run in terms of being the best book of the New 52, in my opinion.

cr4zytr4in

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@doc85: Batman, Swamp Thing both very good! Maybe you can check out the Red Lanterns run by Charles Soule & Alessandro Vitti around issue 21 I think, it's fun read, but also It would explain a little bit why sector 2814 is not Green Lantern sector anymore.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Earth 2, from 1 to current 21 it's been great.