#1 Posted by DamianWayne (116 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, I'm extremely confused, i've been catching up with 52 Green Arrow and Batman Inc. and just noticed that in Batman 0 we see Tommy Merlyn, a long-time friend of Oliver Queen get, essentially, burned to the point of extreme scarring and then thrown off a boat. He is recovered by hooded beings who remark that he has potential (This is assumed to be The League of Shadows, because of his pre-new 52 ties) And yet, in Batman Inc 4, I think it was, a Merlyn, calling himself Arthur King (As we all know him as) is seen working for The League, not scarred, healthy, and vicious. Is this the same Merlyn, is it different people, is Tommy Merlyn dead? Help...?

#2 Posted by cameron83 (6499 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman inc. may be a little too reminiscent of the old universe.Some things must be ignored slightly,or you can just assume that it is a different character,or maybe a nickname and that they take place in different periods,etc.

#3 Posted by Icarusflies (12406 posts) - - Show Bio

@DamianWayne: I wouldn't worry about anything in Batman Inc...it's not really canon, largely based in Pre-52 continuity. It's still a great story, but it doesn't really relate to the rest of the DCU at this point in time (I'm pretty sure).

Merlyn will appear in Green Arrow if he appears anywhere, though keep in mind with the rotating writing cast plans for him might have been swapped around. It's extremely unlikely that any versions of Merlyn are dead yet, and also, if people don't die on panel they're not really dead, that's comic books for ya. No body = no death. So Tommy Merlyn is fine, he might just be disfigured...or he could have been thrown into a Lazarus pit and emerged a liiiitle insane.

#4 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

Batman inc. may be a little too reminiscent of the old universe.Some things must be ignored slightly,or you can just assume that it is a different character,or maybe a nickname and that they take place in different periods,etc.

#5 Posted by Dernman (14611 posts) - - Show Bio
@DamianWayne: I wouldn't put to much stock into what Batman Inc does but IIRC it was suggested that Merlyn was a family all into the darker side of life.