New 52 Joker and Harley Story Arc

Skelington3604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I'm new to comics, but I've decided that I like DC way more than Marvel. I have Batman: Year One already and since I've gotten it I've heard of the New 52. I've always loved the characters Joker and Harley Quinn and I know that they're in the New 52 so I'm wondering which comics I should get in which order. I know that 2 story arcs intertwine, I believe the Suicide Squad comic series and maybe the Detective Comics? Or Joker #1? I have no idea so that's why I'm seeking help haha. Umm, also, how much money is an average paperback comic book? I've seen some for like 3 dollars and others for 18 so....yeah... thanks!

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By RedQueen

The two story arcs that intertwine are included in the Death of the Family event - Joker appears in the relevant issues of the Suicide Squad, and Harley appears in an issue or two of the main Batman series during the same event. See Here.

and Here.

The Suicide Squad tied in to the Death of the Family (Joker's main appearance in the New 52 thus far) for issues 14 and 15. Harley is one of the main characters in Suicide Squad, so I would recommend picking that up (from the beginning in trade format, ideally.) She's also going to be getting her own comic, which I believe is coming out next week (so that would be an excellent jumping on point to the series). The average DC comic book ranges from $2.99 to $3.99- depending on popularity' , but annuals cost more ($4.99). Rare comics, older comics, first issues and variants can cost anywhere between cover price to quite a lot more; think hundreds of dollars. Hope that helps :)

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RedQueen

As a side note; If you want to read more of Harley in particularly, I'd highly recommend her original solo series.

Some of the issues (24 of them, if I remember correctly), are collected in two trades; Preludes and Knock Knock Jokes and Night and Day. If you're lucky you might be able to find a few issues on ebay or the like.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@skelington3604: I second the Death Of the Family recommend. I haven't read it for myself yet, but the majority of the reviews I've seen are good and if you want to read about New 52 Joker it's a good place to start.

Also if you haven't read it I would recommend Batman: The killing joke. It's not cannon, but it's still a great story.

Oh, and welcome to Comic Vine! :D

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skelington3604: I second the Death Of the Family recommend. I haven't read it for myself yet, but the majority of the reviews I've seen are good and if you want to read about New 52 Joker it's a good place to start.

Also if you haven't read it I would recommend Batman: The killing joke. It's not cannon, but it's still a great story.

I'm pretty sure Killing Joke is still canon.

Oh, and welcome to Comic Vine! :D

Death of the Family was meh to me (but that's just my opinion, and most people seemed to like it so you should probably still try it). The tie-ins were almost all terrible though (including the suicide squad one).

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363: No, Killing Joke is not cannon. Apparently Batman kills Joker in the end.

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363: No, Killing Joke is not cannon. Apparently Batman kills Joker in the end.

That's just what some people think was intended by the writer. The story wasn't meant to be canon at first, but was later accepted as canon.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363: I'm pretty sure that only some parts of it where accepted like Joker's killing Barbara. I could be wrong, though.

Besides, since the New 52 all that's been erased anyway. Batman #24 cover his new (sort of) origin.

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363: I'm pretty sure that only some parts of it where accepted like Joker's killing Barbara. I could be wrong, though.

Besides, since the New 52 all that's been erased anyway. Batman #24 cover his new (sort of) origin.

The origin part was never considered canon, even in the Killing Joke.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363: Yes, I know. That's why I said only some parts where accepted. Because Joker said himself he sometimes remembers it one way and sometimes another.

Edit: Can we continue this in a PM so we can keep this guy's thread on topic?

Skelington3604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I just read all this. Thanks everyone.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So far I have not found any new 52 Harley and Joker stories to be anything special so I would recommend going back and reading Mad love it's still kind of cannon in the new 52. Also if you want to try Harley's new series issue 0 comes out on the 20th and it's got a great creative team.

Skelington3604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc: Isn't the Mad Love comic just the same thing as the episode from Batman the Animated Series?

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By BR_Havoc

@skelington3604: Yeah it is sort of, Mad Love is just known as the definitive Harley origin. If you are just interested in Harley you might want to try Gotham City Sirens that was a fun series.

Skelington3604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc: Well, I'm interested in both Harley and the Joker so yeah I might go with the Death of the Family, probably Killing Joke, I might do Mad Love too.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RedQueen

@dctv3363 said:

@battle_forum_junkie said:

The origin part was never considered canon, even in the Killing Joke.

Sorry to derail the thread... but the new 52 is recognizing that the Killing Joke happened, to some degree. I.e. Barbara being crippled. Of course the origin in TKJ was never considered "true" canon, even in the context of the pre-52 era. Heck, DC doesn't truly know what is considered canon or not in the new 52, after all they are working with that incredibly restrictive 5 year span.

Back on track; I would also recommend Mad Love, and Gotham City Sirens-though Mad Love doesn't hold up to the New 52 (it's been replaced by a slightly different origin..... I miss the old Harley...)

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redqueen: Alright, thanks for the info. Man, DC needs to get there continuity together...

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RedQueen