new 52 is a fresh new start

Avatar image for baron_von_santa
Baron_von_Santa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

in pre 52, there are many characters that were either too powerful, so they filled them with PIS, or too whatever, so they discarded them, and we never got to see that character develop.

1) what characters like that do you to see in new 52?

2) and do you think they should be toned down, or raised up?

personally, I just read about the great ten of China (on google), and I really liked thundermind even though he is kind of like a Chinese version of captain marvel merged with superman and magic. I really want to see that character either having his solo series, or with stormwatch.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2 JediXMan  Moderator

I loved the DCU prior to Flashpoint. It was a universe that was built upon from numerous previous arcs, crossovers, and events. Everything felt important, and the universe felt deep.

Now, it's... meh. It's not as interesting. Character development has been lost. Great characters are gone completely.

I stopped reading DC after the New 52.

Baron_von_Santa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: to me, new 52 is like, the underdog in a tournament of power. which is why I love it.

because it is a whole entire retcon, I can easily debate about the characters without worrying about whether they lose or not. you always have the pre 52 feats to back them up! it is true they made the greatest of characters like spectre and lucifer Morningstar into barely planet busters, but the art is great, the characters are brand new because they have no connection with the pre 52 characters, and they have years to develop for the characters are still young.

even though I like powerful beings like the word, the source, and still, lucifer among others, it is quite tiring to debate about such characters of immense power, and new 52 is pretty relaxing.

you know thundermind? he was like, in about 10 issues and puff he is gone. so I wish they would bring him back in new 52. I would definitely buy the comics.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JediXMan  Moderator

@baron_von_santa:

I don't care about feats. I'm in it for the story.Lucifer was powerless for quite some time, and that didn't have anything to do with the character. Powers or not, Lucifer was much more interesting pre-52 compared to current.

I'm okay with DC characters being powerful. The idea of the Justice League, and most DC characters, is almost mythological. They are supposed to be gods who pass judgement on men, which is why humans fear their power. It's why Checkmate existed - why Batman made Brother Eye. The Justice League (pantheon) stand in their satellite (Mount Olympus), passing judgement on mankind. That's why Luthor was interesting: he was a man who believed that only humans should judge humans, not an alien. p

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The benefits of the new 52 don't out weigh the bad parts

Baron_von_Santa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Baron_von_Santa

@jedixman: you got me there, the story is pretty bad compared to pre 52 ones, though this is about something entirely different. this is about character development, and which characters you want to see develop

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman: you got me there, the story is pretty bad compared to pre 52 ones, though this is about something entirely different. this is about character development, and which characters you want to see develop

My point is that they shouldn't need development. The pre-52 established characters well. Tim Drake is the perfect example: he went through a lot to become what he eventually grew up to be. But now, everything - his family, his time as Robin, the kid who rebuilt the Teen Titans from the rubble, finally becoming Red Robin and a respected hero - is all gone.

Baron_von_Santa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: well, dwelling on that is not gonna bring them back, so unless DC decides to go back to the old, well known characters, then we just have to learn to like new 52. anyway, the only reason they changed was because sales were low. I was still buying like I always do, but some people must have stopped.

lesterlawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: well, dwelling on that is not gonna bring them back, so unless DC decides to go back to the old, well known characters, then we just have to learn to like new 52. anyway, the only reason they changed was because sales were low. I was still buying like I always do, but some people must have stopped.

Actually, not learning to like The New 52 is how we bring them back, and that's gonna be pretty easy considering how badly they've dropped the ball.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

New 52 is a fresh new start for crap.

Baron_von_Santa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: for characters that were underused in pre 52. like the being I just mentioned.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's still young so i will answer back in about 7 years time when the characters are developed more.

I do agree though shame, shame on DC for what they did to spectre and lucifer i know they can easily be re written but still shame on them the reboot should not have even affect characters such as them.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Bierschneeman

@lesterlawton said:

@baron_von_santa said:

Actually, not learning to like The New 52 is how we bring them back, and that's gonna be pretty easy considering how badly they've dropped the ball.

you say they've dropped the ball, but they have earned more in the last year, than the year before they announced the New52 was coming.

you can't convince them to go back its not happening.

they can't go back even if sales dropped (which they didn't....well after the initial backslide for the first 6 months) the New52 is too much of an investment, and going back on their plans like that would be an embarssing face losing step for the company, losing more customers than they can handle without gaining back all the very few fans who stopped buying after New52 came out.

They are however listening to fans.... the sector they are failing miserably at is the Young Justice Titles, which is why Geoff Johns is able to create a separate universe Teen Titans. and with success, they've hinted at the possibility of expanding this adult superher free universe to include more ongoing titles.

Daiohnysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Daiohnysis

New 52 only sucks for Batman characters apparently, which I feel they deserve.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 52 did a couple things right (Captain Atom God and Aquaman) but ruined a lot of characters. I won't forgive them for making my favorite Robin, Tim Drake, such a lame character.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: it's weird how they made jason todd a better character in the new 52 lOLOL poor tim hopefully it improves on him. He was lucky the character that suffered was spectre and lobo.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: it's weird how they made jason todd a better character in the new 52 lOLOL poor tim hopefully it improves on him. He was lucky the character that suffered was spectre and lobo.

And that's saying A LOT too. As bad as Tim got it..Lobo and Spectre suffered more. Same with Arsenal, Starfire(makes sense in her case actually), and Manhunter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The New 52 was perfect for a new reader like me, and makes it easier for me to help new people get into comics. The only thing I would change is the New 52 Captain Marvel.

TehStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TehStranger

On the whole I feel like the New 52 has a few good ideas that don't live up to potential.

And like other people have said, all the history characters had, (which is why I liked them; I didn't like someone like Tim Drake because he was Tim Drake, I liked Tim Drake for the history the character had) is gone, ruined character origins (like Deathstroke loosing his eye to some random Korean guy rather than a enraged, heartbroken wife for nearly killing their child, which makes loosing his eye absolutely meaningless, or Martian Manhunter's new origin, and countless others I don't feel like going over), ruined character designs ( Harley Quinn and Lobo come to mind) and countless other things which outweigh the good things.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like they launched a bunch of titles, messed up and had to cancel some. I feel the way they lead the titans was down hill. i don't even know what's going on with super boy at this point, or Kid flash...it's like they wanted a team of insane kids. Omac, blue beetle, and static they buried alive. Some stories feel like fan fiction or they weren't even trying. Others are great though. Depends on the writer.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primebonnick said:

And that's saying A LOT too. As bad as Tim got it..Lobo and Spectre suffered more. Same with Arsenal, Starfire(makes sense in her case actually), and Manhunter.

and don't ;et me get started on that character they are claiming to be lucifer morningstar. Still although i am pissed what they did to spectre and a few others it can't be retconned so i won't complain. There are things i like in the new 52 as well so i gotta take the bad with the good. It is still young as i keep telling people we just gotta wait. Although if they do mess up donna troy i'm out.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Hey I wouldn't have started reading Aquaman and The Flash if it hadn't been the new 52.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By Pokeysteve

@jedixman said:

I loved the DCU prior to Flashpoint. It was a universe that was built upon from numerous previous arcs, crossovers, and events. Everything felt important, and the universe felt deep.

Now, it's... meh. It's not as interesting. Character development has been lost. Great characters are gone completely.

I stopped reading DC after the New 52.

I really like this reply. The pre 52 stuff was like reading a television show that was in it's 5th season. It was familiar and comfortable. It's not gone though. I, personally, have not read everything between '86 and New 52. Currently reading Simone's Secret Six and about to start Brightest Day.