Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By FlashDamn

Friendly blog. my opinion only don't trash talk what so ever

No Caption Provided

As far as I know so many people have been up and down with the dc reboot: the new 52.Some fans are disappointed because some of their favorites are missing, some because titles they liked are getting canceled, bad story lines etc......But if you notice this new 52 original purpose was to gain new reader even if it meant the loss of old readers.Take marvel for an example some of the characters have really started way way way way back in the day so if i am a comic book fan i would be confused if i wanted to read Thor for example as i would have to check his history,background,other things.but since the start of the new 52 each character given his own title was given an issue to explain his origin.So it raises the question if marvel is dominating now what after 10 to 15 years or more dc or any other company will be triumphant.

Main Reasons

1)New Reader friendly titles: New reader friendly existing block buster characters.Let me explain to you what I mean;if marvel company wants new readers to attract new readers it should maybe create new characters/titles/series or alter its already big characters to adopt with new readers but it may not appeal to them and before you say it I know new 52 also has unlike changes but the advantage here is that it already started back in 2011 so it has took its time to understand what needs to be fixed/tweaked/modeled to old or new fans to be on the middle of the rope.

No Caption Provided

2)Marketing Strategy: I may be alone on this but haven't you noticed that dc has focused quite a bit on making animated movies.you may ask yourself why?well here is my thought: It is because they want to attract young kid age audience so when they grow they will be reading the comics of the films they saw.(My cousin saw the justice league:Doom film and just started getting interested in it and just started reading my Dc Comics as he saw in the film and iron man too because of its animated film ) So maybe you would say that when he grows old he will change his mind but he is already grown on this so he might take and/or drop some comics but he wont for the ones like justice league and characters related in it.So do you get my point?(hopefully).

No Caption Provided

3)Origins Exploration:As I mentioned earlier it would be tough for new readers to discover or be familiar or even remember a 20 year old history of a character.I am one of the biggest fans of thor which i just started reading lately in which i had a rough time implanting all of the history i could remember of his to understand the series(Thor:God of Thunder which is actually very annoying)and i remember last month when i wanted to try X-men but got so confused it is really very confusing now even more with it separating/branching into different titles:Uncanny X-men,All New X-men,Uncanny X-Force which i just simply don't have the time nor the money to read all of them to understand it.The Problem is that when marvel releases big events like age of ultron sometimes to understand you just have to read other titles related,and the new 52 has a good thing is that it trys to avoid that thing look at the upcoming trinity war for example it was clearly said that there is almost no need to buy the other JL books to get it.

Agree or not? give me your honest thoughts not just cause you a dc or marvel fan opinion thing.

Or could it just be that marvel will utilize its new Marvel Now and will release stunning first new titles and continue with its series but wont be able to use its big guns such as hulk,spidey,X titles etc... or is it bound to do a full reboot to cope with the next coming years give me you thoughts and i will read them all and reply if I can thanks everybody.

No Caption Provided

ssbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

um for the far future as in 20 years from now i don't know it started off to messy i would have easily said yes if the had done a full reboot instead of this soft thing they have done (i know the bat family and green lanterns were kept because of sales and for us old readers) because it means the the sidekick age is over but some of the characters we all love were sidekicks at one point or another (looking at wally and Garth here) and it means you get the loss of popular friendships and updating of characters i would love to have seen dick grow up in this age and how those stories would be told in short i think it can survive in the future but it will be messier than it needed to be and i wouldn't be surprised if there was another crises in a decade or 2

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

The New 52 is failing because there is no solid sense of direction for most of their titles. Books are being canceled after a handful of issues. Even worse is that creators are changing way to frequently. That tends to make things even worse. Editorial issues are obviously happening with some top tier creators leaving because of differences. I even feel that the Death of the Family fell flat on it's face because editorial issues.

This time last years I was reading roughly 18 DC titles. Now I'm down to 6 and I'm contemplating dropping 4 of those titles. Animal Man and Batwoman are the two solid DC books that I'm keeping so far. Funny enough if they continued with Captain Atom I'm certain I'd still be reading that as well. Heck they are not even putting out 52 books now.

Marvel is simply shifting the direction and creative teams for their Now titles. So far so good. My only gripe is that everything shouldn't be titled Avengers this or X that.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By tupiaz

1. Kids are to young to read modern comics. That isn't something you should read before your preteens (IMO) especially titles like Batman. Batman also got revamp for what? 25-30 years ago and a lot of it is in trades not that complicated to get his origin story. Dan Jurgen revamp Thor for about 15 years ago.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

#4  Edited By knighthood

@tupiaz: "Kids are to young to read modern comics."

I disagree with that statement. I loved reading bad ass Daredevil and X-Men comics in the 80's as a kid. Those book were way more verbose but still dealt with difficult subject matters. Green Lantern/Green Arrow also dealt with difficult topics in the 70's. I think the only times to restrict a reader due to their age should be because of sexual content or over the top gore and violence.

Just my opinion.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz: "Kids are to young to read modern comics."

I disagree with that statement. I loved reading bad ass Daredevil and X-Men comics in the 80's as a kid. Those book were way more verbose but still dealt with difficult subject matters. Green Lantern/Green Arrow also dealt with difficult topics in the 70's. I think the only times to restrict a reader due to their age should be because of sexual content or over the top gore and violence.

Just my opinion.

Green Lantern/Green Arrow is nothing like todays comics. It has nothing to do with subjects but the violence and sex is every way in todays comics.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

The New 52 is failing because there is no solid sense of direction for most of their titles. Books are being canceled after a handful of issues. Even worse is that creators are changing way to frequently. That tends to make things even worse. Editorial issues are obviously happening with some top tier creators leaving because of differences. I even feel that the Death of the Family fell flat on it's face because editorial issues.

This is my opinion, I don't think it is going to help the future that much. They history of established characters in 20+ years of this rate is going to be... weird.

Allie_Ho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Allie_Ho

I think that new readers maybe in a way are more confused than ever when you have to explain the 5 year timeline with all the history, especially the four Robins for Bats and the Justice League with different members which some people have at least a faint impression with it also wreaking it for me as a person who saw how bad Green Arrow and other B-list characters screwed to inrecognition.

Perpetr8rMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally believe that the excuse of new readers is not as solid as it could be. We live in a day where 4 year olds have Ipods and know more about the internet then their parents. If you picked up a new book (Most likely due to one of the movies, the animated movies, etc) and you where confused you wouldn't drop the book just because of that. You would use a search engine, read up on the brief background of the character, maybe look up reviews for the last few issues to just generally hear opinions of them and then might pick them up.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

A lot of the things you mentioned could be covered in something like Marvel Now and still keep their old readers. For example you could just slowly but surely retcon the characters while keeping the universe intact and instead of changing it 100% like with Wonder Woman change the superficial stuff like for example removing the feminist icon on Wonder Woman or something like that.