New 52 Choices

The_Wozy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Wozy

So I recently bought and read nightwing vol. 1, deathstroke vol. 1, red hood and the outlaws vol. 1. I was considering buying swamp thing vol. 1 and the flash vol. 1. My questions are: Are the comics I'm reading still good and worth buying the next volumes for, and are there other new 52s I should check out as well that are good?

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

If that's all you're reading, I highly reccomend Batman, Aquaman (they made him badass), and Justice League.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Batwoman. :)

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything Batman.

Justice League is pretty good too (Skip 12, and 13 because of terrible SM/WW moments)

NovaRichRider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NovaRichRider

Yes, keep reading Nightwing and start reading Swamp Thing

I recommend adding Earth 2 and Superman Unchained.

Avatar image for lieutenant_awkward
Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash is great, I saw that a Captain Marvel trade (now called Shazam!) is coming out in october. I haven't seen any Shazam issues at my local store at all, can anyone explain this?

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yes, keep reading Nightwing and start reading Swamp Thing

I recommend adding Earth 2 and Superman Unchained.

I agree with this. Also try some aquaman. Flash is great, and try green arrow but starting from issue 17

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lieutenant_awkward: The Shazam trade is not collecting a Shazam series (there is none) but it is collecting the Shazam backup story that has been running in Justice League since issue 7. It explains Shazam's origins in the New 52.

Avatar image for lieutenant_awkward
Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lieutenant_awkward: The Shazam trade is not collecting a Shazam series (there is none) but it is collecting the Shazam backup story that has been running in Justice League since issue 7. It explains Shazam's origins in the New 52.

Oh I see, so I'm guessing there's going to be an ongoing title soon then?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By batmannflash

my favs are Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Batgirl, Red Hood, and Nightwing. Aquaman, JLA, Justice League, Swamp Thing, and Animal Man are also pretty good. But if you're gonna read Swamp Thing, might as well get Animal Man (it's not necessary though). they crossover in the Rotworld story arc. I don't think Deathstroke is very good (plus, it got canceled). But if you like what you read, then go for it.

However, I highly recommend Batman.

EDIT: Also, Green Arrow is great starting from #17. Before that, the series sucks. Suicide Squad has been amazing since #20 but apparently hasn't been good before that. Both titles have been awesome since getting their new creative teams. I recommend these two (if you start from the issues numbers I said) along with the ones I stated above.

Vhyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with everyone on the 'everything batman' .. Batman, Batwoman, Batgirl, stick with Nightwing. Sososo good! Justice League is a must. It's going really strong right now and looks to stay that way, plus it is just a great team read.

If you want more team reads I highly suggest Suicide Squad. I wish it was getting more love. It's so dark, creepy and just lovely. That Harley Quinn. <3

I haven't checked out Aquaman yet but it's in my Amazon cart ready. EVERYONE talks about how great this series is, so I'll pass that on as well.. get it.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ccraft

If that's all you're reading, I highly reccomend Batman, Aquaman (they made him badass), and Justice League.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@the_wozy said:

So I recently bought and read nightwing vol. 1, deathstroke vol. 1, red hood and the outlaws vol. 1. I was considering buying swamp thing vol. 1 and the flash vol. 1. My questions are: Are the comics I'm reading still good and worth buying the next volumes for, and are there other new 52s I should check out as well that are good?

Deathstroke is okay, never read outlaws, but Batman and All star western are good.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vhyra said:

I'm with everyone on the 'everything batman' .. Batman, Batwoman, Batgirl, stick with Nightwing. Sososo good! Justice League is a must. It's going really strong right now and looks to stay that way, plus it is just a great team read.

If you want more team reads I highly suggest Suicide Squad. I wish it was getting more love. It's so dark, creepy and just lovely. That Harley Quinn. <3

I haven't checked out Aquaman yet but it's in my Amazon cart ready. EVERYONE talks about how great this series is, so I'll pass that on as well.. get it.

Forgot about this, but yes.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Wonder Woman has been excellent. Sword of Sorcery was presenting some cool stories, but unfortunately got cancelled after eight issues.

Ciriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still enjoy Nightwing

martyyy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_wozy:

Hey see your new here. Welcome to comic vine :) And Yeah def try out aquaman, its really good. Also if you'd like check out Geoff Johns run on green lantern starting with rebirth. They are very good. Oh and warning about batwoman, I hear its about a lesbein character, don't know if that bothers you or not. Just wanted to give ya a heads up ^^

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only one on your list that I've read is Deathstroke and I really liked it. The last issue came out in May. I recommend Earth 2, Flash, and Green Arrow. All are very good.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By the_tree

If you're looking for something new, you should check out:

• All-Star Western [What's not to love, it's great Western comics with a comic book/superhero-ish twist.]
  • Batwoman [The most beautiful book on the shelves, with a great, dark story.]
  • Green Arrow (Check it out when vol. 4 hits, the previous volumes are garbage) [An action packed adrenaline ride with fantastic art.]
  • Wonder Woman [Revitalization of Wonder Woman and the Greek gods, greatly written with amazing characters.]

As for the books you're reading, don't get Deathstroke: Lobo Hunt, that's when a new creative team hops on and ruins the book completely. If you want something dark and more magical, Swamp Thing is for you, I'd also recommend you read Animal Man alongside it, they go hand in hand. Flash, Nightwing, and Red Hood and the Outlaws are all good (Red Hood being my favorite), and they all stay pretty consistent throughout their runs.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@martyyy15:

@the_wozy:

Hey, welcome to Comic Vi--- Dang it!

Beat me to it!

martyyy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By martyyy15
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_wozy:

Hey see your new here. Welcome to comic vine :) And Yeah def try out aquaman, its really good. Also if you'd like check out Geoff Johns run on green lantern starting with rebirth. They are very good. Oh and warning about batwoman, I hear its about a lesbein character, don't know if that bothers you or not. Just wanted to give ya a heads up ^^

You say warning like it's a bad thing. Why are you even bringing this up?

martyyy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: some people might not be comfortable with that. If they are awesome, its just bwing curtious is all

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@martyyy15: Maybe some people aren't, but to actually warn someone of it just sounds like you're against it. Warning is a word used for keep people away from bad things.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "If they are awesome, its just bwing curtious is all".

martyyy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By martyyy15

@v_scarlotte_rose: what I mean by that is, sorry I on tablet and spell error. What I mean is if your cool with lesbo super them cool. If not I was simply informing them. So, e people fimd that stuff disturbing. I was just tryong to be nice.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@v_scarlotte_rose: what I mean by that is, sorry I on tablet and spell error. What I mean is if your cool with lesbo super them cool. If not I was simply informing them. So, e people fimd that stuff disturbing. I was just tryong to be nice.

Those people should just get over it. Batwoman is a great series, and her sexuality shouldn't stand in the way of enjoying it.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@martyyy15: dude that person is just giving you a hard time. I recommend earth 2, but I tell/warn that green lantern is gay.

martyyy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: yeah I can tell lol. Thanks, im not tryinf to be rude or nothing ya know.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#29  Edited By akbogert

@the_wozy: If you enjoyed the first volume of RHatO then you should definitely get the second, as by all accounts it is better (and Starfire becomes very awesome in it).

I also recommend going just prior to New 52 to Batwoman Elegy, which leads into the New 52 book (rather than being replaced by it) and would make a fantastic standalone read even if you chose not to pursue her ongoing.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert said:

@the_wozy: If you enjoyed the first volume of RHatO then you should definitely get the second, as by all accounts it is better (and Starfire becomes very awesome in it).

I also recommend going just prior to New 52 to Batwoman Elegy, which leads into the New 52 book (rather than being replaced by it) and would make a fantastic standalone read even if you chose not to pursue her ongoing.

This is a good point. Elegy gives some useful backstory, and is just generally good anyway.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RustyRoy

Batman and Robin and The Flash are my favorite New 52 series and Batman is great too.