Need help buying a graphic novel!

keithson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So i'm really into comics and spend a lot of my time lurking on the battles forum and learning about characters and stuff, but I don't actually own any comics and am looking to buy a graphic novel/series. I've been looking around online for the best one to buy (I'm only really interested in buying one, far too poor to start a collection) and really can't decide.

I'm a big DC fan but obviously would be willing to get a Marvel book if swayed. The ones that have caught my attention the most are:

• Kingdom Come
  • The Killing Joke
  • V for Vendetta
  • The Dark Knight Returns
  • Year One (Batman, Superman, Green Arrow etc)

I know I look like a bit of a batman fanboy but i'm really not, they just keep popping up on graphic novel lists!

Any help would be appreciated.

broo1232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 180

User Lists: 45

Kingdom Come it's truly a work of art.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#3  Edited By Extremis

@keithson: well it looks like you don't need any help, you already got a list to start you off :) only thing now is to pull the trigger and buy one.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdom Come/Year One Batman

Killing Joke is good but kind of short, and if you're only able to afford one I'm guessing you'll want something longer.

Kangaxx_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dark Knight Returns was/is an extremely important event in comics history, but IMO there are better comics out there. The Batman in TDKR is building upon Frank Millers earlier Batman stories, and he's quite different in many aspects, as is the world. It was one of the first comicbooks that I read, and it surprised me a lot, because it didn't fit my view of Batman very well. Now that I have read so many more comics I can better appreciate where it's coming from, and enjoy it as it is, but I wouldn't actually recommend it for a first timer.

Batman: Year One on the other hand, is just perfect. The Killing Joke wasn't exactly my cup of tea either, but mileage varies. Kingdom Come should be a very, very good comic, and it is high on my to-buy list.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Squalleon

@keithson: I would get Kingdom Come and the killing joke first. You pretty much now how batman became who he is so you better read something different than year one. TDKR is a good story but KC and TKJ are better.

V for Vendetta is good but It's completely different from the movie so you might not get what you expect.

keithson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys. So Kingdom Come seems to be a winner, i'm leaning towards either that or Batman Year One. Are there any others that aren't on the list that are must haves? Also how are the other Year One stories?

Apologies for all the questions, thanks in advance.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@keithson:

If you read Batman Year One, consider Long Halloween.

If your looking for good stand alones, I recommend Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth. Some people don't like it, But it is my personal favorite of all the Graphic novels I have read.

Concerning must haves that are not on you list: Watchmen