#1 Edited by rondoudou (182 posts) - - Show Bio

now there have been many marvel and dc as well other American comic books translated into other languages, and alot of the characters names change with those translations what do you think are the most interesting translations of comic book character names in other languages?

#2 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7466 posts) - - Show Bio

Capitán América! Captain America in Spanish. :)

#3 Posted by rondoudou (182 posts) - - Show Bio

oh i for got to add mine 死侍(sishi) deadpool in Chinese, literally means samurai/servant of death

#4 Posted by Bruxae (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

Läderlappen is Batman in swedish, it literally translates as Leatherpatch.. We have horrible translations so I always get my material in english, this is the one that makes absolutely zero sense.

#5 Edited by EMH_Bruce (716 posts) - - Show Bio

Rächer for Avengers.

It isn't used on Avenger Books or in them, but sometime ago I looked into an X-Men comic and they wrote under the name of Beast:

Beast - Henry McCoy: X-Men, Mitglied der Rächer

the last part literally means Member of the Avengers in german.

--

The Incredible Hulk --> Der unglaubliche Hulk

The Fantastic Four --> Die Fantastischen Vier

#6 Posted by rondoudou (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@emh_bruce: thats kinda strange isnt it,the actual word "avengers" in german is never actually used to call the avengers themselves

#7 Edited by Hel (487 posts) - - Show Bio

Heh, have an old X:EN (X-Men) comic from 1984.

Wolverine - Järven

Nightcrawler - Nattkryparen

Vindicator - Värjaren

And of course Spider - Man - Spindelmannen

#8 Posted by rondoudou (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@hel: would that be from a german version?

#9 Posted by Hel (487 posts) - - Show Bio

@rondoudou: No that would be the swedish. I should have written that, my bad ;)

#10 Posted by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

@hel: Spindelmannen!?! Sounds more like a tailor. And Parker can't sew!!!

#11 Edited by EMH_Bruce (716 posts) - - Show Bio

@rondoudou: Yeah, the comics and the Team itself is just called Avengers, but I'm glad they don't translate it, it sounds so... lame in german. and not like the name of a cool super hero team xD (IMO "Die Rächer" sounds like the name of a bad silver age villain team xDDD)
That reminds me, when the Justice League cartoon aired in the german dub, it was called:

Die Liga der Gerechten

Which literally means The League of the Righteous. (the comics are just called Justice League though)

#12 Posted by rondoudou (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@mortium: well the word spider comes actually comes from the word spinner...

#13 Edited by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

@rondoudou: WHAT?

How does that make any sense?! (no pun intended...)

#14 Edited by EMH_Bruce (716 posts) - - Show Bio

@mortium: He's right. In german Spider means "Spinne" and Spider-Man would be "Spinnen-Mann" (Spinnen is the plural of Spinne, but Spinne-Mann sounds stupid). And yes, I say "would be" they don't translate Spider-Man in the german comics.

Substantive
spinning das Spinnen
spider die Spinne
Verben
to be on the blink spinnen - nicht richtig funktionieren | spann, gesponnen |
to cocoon spinnen | spann, gesponnen |
to be bonkers [coll.] spinnen [ugs.] | spann, gesponnen |
to spin [engin.] | spun, spun | spinnen | spann, gesponnen |
to yarn ein Garn spinnen
to yarn [coll.] Seemannsgarn spinnen
Phrasen
you're nuts [coll.] du spinnst

copied from leo.org

#15 Edited by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by rondoudou (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@emh_bruce: so you think its for the better that some names aren't "properly" translated into your native language

#17 Posted by mhanuroth (208 posts) - - Show Bio

hombre araña, hombre murcielago, Gloton spanish. spiderman, batman, wolverine

#18 Edited by therrieur (245 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm french and I'm glad most names keep their english origin or I'd see translations like:

Spider-man: l'homme araignée

Batman: l'homme chauve-souris

Robin: rouge-gorge

Green lantern: lanterne verte

And my personal favourite

Wolverine: Carcajou

#19 Posted by rondoudou (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@therrieur: but id like it if the french actually translated those names, i mean they would not even make sense why those heroes call themselves those names if they didnt translate those names, also i find the french translations of the riddler the most interesting "le sphinx"

#20 Posted by EMH_Bruce (716 posts) - - Show Bio

@mortium said:

So... not only is German Spidey a tailor, he is also crazy. Thanks alot.

No, Spidey is Spider-Man. BUT Spiders are called Spinnen in german, because they "spin a web". Also "Spinner" isn't only a word for a crazy person, it's also the name for someone who works at a spinning company, for a family of Moths and a fishing tool.

@emh_bruce: so you think its for the better that some names aren't "properly" translated into your native language

Yes. First because I think they sound cooler in english and second, because most names would sound strange or ridiculous x"D (I made a blog about that some time ago)

But like I said, some names got translated:

Mr. Fantastic - Mister Fantastisch

Invinsible Woman - Die Unsichtbare (lit. the Invinsible)

The Human Torch - Die menschliche Fackel (that's the literal translation)

The Thing - Das Ding

Formerly they translated Mole Man (Maulwurfmann) but in the newer comics (like Fantastic Four Season One) they let his name untranslated.

#21 Posted by rondoudou (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@emh_bruce: well i guess being chinese i am a bit "shocked" that those names arent translated "properly" maybe cause you cant keep the orginal names like you do in languages like german and french

#22 Edited by EMH_Bruce (716 posts) - - Show Bio

@rondoudou: One thing coulde be, that most of the Marvel or DC characters would have too long names in german, but I think they don't translate the names because they really sound cooler in english and most people understand as much english, that they know what the names mean.

What I mean with "long" names:

Scarlet Witch - Scharlachrote Hexe

Hour Man - Stunden Mann

Nightcrawler - Nachtkriecher

Red Skull - Roter Schädel

Spoiler - Verderberin

Batgirl - Fledermausmädchen <-- I think she's a pretty good example x"DD

(I translated those names for fun, they were never used like this in a german comic)

#24 Edited by rondoudou (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@emh_bruce: well i guess than its really different for translation in Chinese than any other language,which due to the writing system gave us some very ....interesting translated names for comicbook charachters can you guess which name represents which character is supposed to represent in english

金鋼狼 (Jinteilang)-unbreakable metal wolf

獨眼龍 (Duyanlong)-one eyed dragon

牌王 (Paiwang)-king of card games

萬磁王(Wanciwang)-king of tenthousand magnets

銀河王(Yinhewang)-King of the galaxies

夜魔俠 (Yenmoxia)-night demon hero

#25 Edited by EMH_Bruce (716 posts) - - Show Bio

@rondoudou said:

@emh_bruce: well i guess than its really different for translation in Chinese than any other language,which due to the writing system gave us some very ....interesting translated names for comicbook charachters can you guess which name represents which character is supposed to represent in english

Yeah, I think that's probably the reason.

I'll try =)

金鋼狼 (Jinteilang)-unbreakable metal wolf - Wolverine - Vielfrass

獨眼龍 (Duyanlong)-one eyed dragon - Cyclops - Zyklop

牌王 (Paiwang)-king of card games - Gambit - Gambit =/= Manöver (Gambit is a chess move (Manöver) and is also called like that in german)

萬磁王(Wanciwang)-king of tenthousand magnets - Magneto - Magneto (I think....a Magnet is also called Magnet in german)

銀河王(Yinhewang)-King of the galaxies - Galactus - I don't know how I should translate that, yes his name comes from "Galaxy" but if I want to stay as close as I can, it would be "Galaktus" with a k instead of a c

夜魔俠 (Yenmoxia)-night demon hero - Nightcrawler? (the only one of those which I'm not sure about xDD)

I also added a german translation and while I did that, I remembered a comic, or better a Manga where the names of the characters to 90% were translated into german. One Piece.

Monkey D. Luffy - Monkey D. Ruffy

Roronoa Zoro - Lorenor Zorro

Usopp - Lysop

Mugiwara no Kaisoku - Strohhutpiraten

Akainu - Roter Hund

Portugas D. Ace - Puma D. Ace

Kairyuseki - Seestein

I could go on and on xDD

#26 Posted by rondoudou (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@emh_bruce: 夜魔俠 would be daredevil .... but though i guess i understand why names of comicbook characters arent "properly" translated in other languages

#27 Posted by EMH_Bruce (716 posts) - - Show Bio

@rondoudou: Ah~ thanks, now I'm smarter =) Yeah, translating names is a difficult task. As for Daredevil:

Daredevil - Mutprobenteufel

omg....that sounds so weird...it sounds like DD does dangerous tricks in a circus x"DDD (Dare - Mutprobe | Devil - Teufel )

#28 Edited by rondoudou (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@emh_bruce: :) but anyways how long did u take to figure out the rather artistic spins of the Chinese versions of various super heroes/villains?

#29 Posted by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Edited by Aiden Cross (15556 posts) - - Show Bio

Well luckily we keep the English names in my country or you'd get some ridiculous sounding names in Dutch.

Batman - Vleermuisman

Superman - Superman (ironically enough :p)

Green Lantern - Groene Lantaarn

Spider-Man - Spinnenman

Cyclops - Cycloop

Emma Frost - Emma Vorst (Vorst means royalty as well as frost in my language so it's kind of fitting :p)

Captain America - Kapitein Amerika

Well, let me know if you want to know more and which ones :)

#31 Edited by EMH_Bruce (716 posts) - - Show Bio

@rondoudou: Hmm, I would say 5 minutes. Except for Daredevil, I think I got confused, because when I watched X-Men Evolution on the european Cartoon Network, when it still was bilingual (english/french). they had the french names under the english names and Nightcrawler was called "Diablo".

@mortium: Ah~ somehow I never notice that if someone doesn't use a emoticon...

#32 Posted by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

@emh_bruce: You mean like the smiley faces and such?

#33 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3873 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna list some swedish translations:

Iron Man=Järnmannen, Spider-Man=Spindelmannen, Batman=Läderlappen (Leatherpatch), Superman=Stålmannen (more like Steelman), Wonder Woman=Mirakelkvinnan, Aquaman=Vattenmannen, Wolverine=Järven, Daredevil=Våghalsen, Demonen, Flash=Blixten, Avengers=Hämnarna, Fantastic Four=Fantastiska Fyran...

Luckily some are not translated: Wolverine, X-Men, Thor (Tor)

#34 Posted by EMH_Bruce (716 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Edited by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

@emh_bruce: Ok. Sorry I am still new to this kind of stuff.

#36 Posted by EMH_Bruce (716 posts) - - Show Bio

@mortium: It's ok, I'm new to english forums.

#37 Posted by rondoudou (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@themanintheshoe: i dont really see how "thor" can be translated in to swedish...