#1 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay. Without a doubt, these are the three most awesome comic clichés:

3: Batman has a gadget for that.

Ever feel cramped in the elevator when there's a eight foot gecko breathing down your neck? Well, Batman has just the gadget to get you out of that pickle.

2: The alliterative name like Peter Parker, Clark Kent, Bruce Banner and whathaveyou.

The best comic cliché of all time is

1. The (most often lab) accident that created me.

How many heroes and villains were created by some accident? By chemicals that happened to be lying there, or even by a magic lightning bolt?

These are clichés that sometimes annoy us (at least me) to no end, but they are clichés for a reason. Because they are awesome. Please, if I am missing any, or you want to voice your opinion, do so below.

#2 Posted by Onemoreposter (4065 posts) - - Show Bio

How about

4) The hero falls in love with the villain

#3 Edited by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why I think mutants was one of the smartest things ever done in Marvel, if I were DC I'd be kicking myself to this day for not coming up with it. You can devise a character with almost any ability you can think of and not have to explain it, and yet ironically mutantism is actually less gimmicky and more viable as an explanation than any other unlikely accident that created other superheroes, especially considering the history and struggle that came with mutantism. Whereas something like a radioactive spider is just a random isolated occurrence that has nothing to do with the story, but had to happen in order for the story to begin.

#4 Posted by nickthedevil (12811 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, i hate mutants, myself. I stay away from all that Jazz.

#5 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

The evil counterpart. Cliche as it may be, it's still quite awesome!

Crime Syndcate, Dark Avengers, Carnage (or Venom earlier or Doppleganger), etc.

#6 Edited by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

dying and coming back, all of the time...

#7 Posted by Bleeble (44 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman.

#8 Posted by Saren (25694 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZEELLO said:

This is why I think mutants was one of the smartest things ever done in Marvel, if I were DC I'd be kicking myself to this day for not coming up with it. You can devise a character with almost any ability you can think of and not have to explain it, and yet ironically mutantism is actually less gimmicky and more viable as an explanation than any other unlikely accident that created other superheroes, especially considering the history and struggle that came with mutantism. Whereas something like a radioactive spider is just a random isolated occurrence that has nothing to do with the story, but had to happen in order for the story to begin.

Exactly! Sometimes, I feel as if DC is trying to slap us in the face. Look at Batman's foes. Victor Freis? Pamela Isley (formerly Lilian Rose)? And it was an accident that he became Mr. Freeze? You can be a little more creative. I know I am missing more.

#11 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

-Oh my god, my best friend is the bad guy!

-She admires the masked man but think very little of me.

-I hate my powers, but when I loose them I must regain them for the good of everyone.

-Mad scientists.

-Brain control.

#12 Edited by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

any media without its own clichés wouldn't be as fun, that's why I must say Comic Books have the best of them and that's one of the many reasons they are so good!

#13 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone can be infinitely revived.

#14 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Clones, Lame Sidekicks, Copycat Characters

#15 Edited by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

any media without its own clichés wouldn't be as fun, that's why I must say Comic Books have the best of them and that's one of the many reasons they are so good!

I agree with you. The cliches I listed weren't necessarily the most frequent cliches, I said they were the most awesome to me, and I wanted everyone else to come up with some.

@DocFatalis said:

-Oh my god, my best friend is the bad guy!

-She admires the masked man but think very little of me.

-I hate my powers, but when I loose them I must regain them for the good of everyone.

-Mad scientists.

-Brain control.

LOL IKR!!! Thank you man. Those are some hilarious but awesome ones.

#16 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

Characters from alternate dimensions crossing over into other universes.

#17 Posted by Onemoreposter (4065 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a pretty popular one at Marvel

-You're a supervillain responsible for countless deaths? Come join our superhero team!!

#18 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

Supervillain is some scientist who has access to super-advanced technology.

Freak accident superpowers with no flaws... Spiderman.

#19 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I'm the only one who still enjoys this one but heroes fighting heroes is a good one

#20 Posted by SuperShafe (470 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: I was just about to say that the best one was either "When two heroes meet for the first time, they must fight" or "Noone stays dead but Uncle Ben."

#21 Posted by BatWatch (2760 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Damsels in distress.

2. Oh, Generic Super Dude was just here. You just missed him Generic Alter Ego Dude. Weird how you disappear every time Generic Super Dude shows up.

3. Catch phrase. Hulk Smash! Avengers Assemble! Merciful Minerva! Great Ceaser's Ghost! Holy Rusted Metal Batman!

4. Bat-Anything

5. Animal themed heroes and villains

6. Villain: "I've knocked out the hero. For some convenient reason, I must not kill him or unmask him. Instead, let me give him the chance to escape by putting him in a death trap.

7. Hero/Villain is back from the dead.

8. Long dead family member is back from the dead. Oh wait, it was a trick. Peter Parker's Parents. Batman's Dad.

9. Fall in love with a villain who isn't all that bad.

#22 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

The most common super power.

Love Tv Tropes, always a fun read.

I love the "Batman strikes back" moment during most runs. As much as I should hate it and question the logic of it, especially during Snyder's current run, I must say I'm a sucker for this.

#23 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

The villain is really a....LONG LOST RELATIVE?!

Wait...I'm a clone/Alien/Cyborg?!

It was all a DREAM?!

#24 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@PsychoKnights said:

1. Damsels in distress.

2. Oh, Generic Super Dude was just here. You just missed him Generic Alter Ego Dude. Weird how you disappear every time Generic Super Dude shows up.

3. Catch phrase. Hulk Smash! Avengers Assemble! Merciful Minerva! Great Ceaser's Ghost! Holy Rusted Metal Batman!

4. Bat-Anything

5. Animal themed heroes and villains

6. Villain: "I've knocked out the hero. For some convenient reason, I must not kill him or unmask him. Instead, let me give him the chance to escape by putting him in a death trap.

7. Hero/Villain is back from the dead.

8. Long dead family member is back from the dead. Oh wait, it was a trick. Peter Parker's Parents. Batman's Dad.

9. Fall in love with a villain who isn't all that bad.

How did I miss your 1-3, and 5. HOW DID I MISS YOU NUMBER ONE CLICHE?

#25 Posted by BatWatch (2760 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter: (laughs long and hard) Yeah, Marvel really does have an issue with that. In fact, that would be a good thread.

#26 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@PsychoKnights: Start it.

#27 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio