• 55 results
#1 Posted by Reignmaker (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

For me it was Frank Miller's "Born Again" story with Daredevil. I prefaced it by reading his earlier run on the character - which I thought was pretty solid, if a little dated.

Overall I found "Born Again" to be rather 'meh.' I don't see how it's one of the greatest comic book stories of all time - or even the greatest DD story for that matter. I did enjoy the first third of the story arc, but it seemed to deteriorate into a random mess, and finally the emergence of Nuke felt bizarre and off-point. I also didn't like how Captain America slapped a lowly soldier for following orders - what a douche. I've liked other works by Frank Miller, so it really surprised me that I wasn't a fan of this.

So what "great" comic book story didn't work for you?

#2 Posted by Veshark (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap didn't slap the guy, it was more of a gentle tap to knock him out. It was the only way for Cap to get to the General, and trying to force his way in with his strength would have been more harmful to the soldier.

As for me, I guess it would be Identity Crisis. While I like the idea of 'humanizing' heroes; the end result kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not a fan of the whole Dr. Light was actually an intelligent rapist thing. There were a lot of out-of-character moments for me...Deathstroke owning the entire League, Batman trying to diss Wally, Ray putting his wife in ARKHAM. I don't know, it's been a while since I last read it, but I remember being very annoyed by it.

#3 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

Crisis on Infinite Earths (soo confusing...)

#4 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Knight Returns. I think it reads like fan fiction.

#5 Posted by atonemented (43 posts) - - Show Bio

I was honestly pretty done with Marvel after finally reading Civil War in 2011. I do still read some of the current Marvel Now books though...

#6 Posted by tensor (3831 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers vs X-Men an Brightest Day

#7 Posted by millennium (194 posts) - - Show Bio

civil war did it for me a big event where i had to buy 12 other books just to know whats going on in the event issuses so i just stopped buying big events havent read one since but ill read small story events like night of owls, rotworld, and progeny just because with them i wont fill cheated

#8 Posted by The_Tree (7037 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. It's good, but the story didn't really grab me as classic or amazing, like it's often touted to be. I also couldn't get into Miller's art style.

#9 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

The only Alan Moore story I have not loved is; The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. However, I've only read Volume 1 so far.

#10 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Now, i hate all the costumes, every single one...

#11 Posted by Reignmaker (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

The only Alan Moore story I have not loved is; The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. However, I've only read Volume 1 so far.

I actually loved that one. I think I like volume 2 even more though.

#12 Posted by Dabee (2371 posts) - - Show Bio

@dh69 said:

??? Why? There are so many great costumes. The classic Havok costume has made its triumphant return, not to mention how awesome Spidey's costumes always look. I can name so many more? Which in particular do you hate so much?

#13 Edited by chucknorrisrex (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Death in the family. Obvious,overdone,predictable,and anticlimatic. I was rooting for jokerthe whole time.

#14 Posted by Pokeysteve (7897 posts) - - Show Bio

Kingdom Come.

I just don't understand the hoopla.

#15 Posted by Black_Arrow (2400 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush because i hate Batman/Catwoman

#16 Edited by JediXMan (29237 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Knight Returns.

I see it as an important story in the history of comic books; it brought about the Batman we all know and love into the modern age. It influenced the return of dark and serious storytelling, along with other comics. I just don't enjoy reading it, and I don't like the art.

#17 Posted by jeanespinosa21 (217 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman- Black mirror.

I just never really liked dick graysons batman. Great as nightwing though!

#18 Posted by Extremis (3318 posts) - - Show Bio

Blackest Night.

It was pretty good but was very expected. I didn't like the whole DC comic characters coming back as zombies bit. Im not an encyclopedia for DC's comic history (or I guess I just haven't been around long enough) so There were all these characters I didn't know so the "big reveal" of such and suches friend or spouse coming back as a black lantern had zero emotional impact on me. I guess I don't know enough about comics to even enjoy a big event comic. If I took time out to learn who everyone was I would literally have to Every panel pause and look at Wikipedia just to know certain peripheral characters who suddenly take the spotlight. This is a big reason the big comic companies (DC and Marvel) are still very intimidating for me. Sometimes it sucks the Fun right out of it for me Instead of me just enjoying good stories. I'm even thinking about just dropping some titles from said publishers and instead immersing myself in a smaller company like Valiant. It's not as overwhelming, and if there's an event there's far less for less back story and characters to dig thru.

#19 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by Reignmaker (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:
I guess I don't know enough about comics to even enjoy a big event comic. If I took time out to learn who everyone was I would literally have to Every panel pause and look at Wikipedia just to know certain peripheral characters who suddenly take the spotlight. This is a big reason the big comic companies (DC and Marvel) are still very intimidating for me. Sometimes it sucks the Fun right out of it for me Instead of me just enjoying good stories.

I can totally relate, dude. I think most people can. To their credit, I think the New 52 and Marvel Now has made the Big 2 much more accessible. But you still have to be careful about which books you choose to follow.

#21 Edited by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee said:

@dh69 said:

??? Why? There are so many great costumes. The classic Havok costume has made its triumphant return, not to mention how awesome Spidey's costumes always look. I can name so many more? Which in particular do you hate so much?

I'll admit i was exaggerating when i said all of them, i quite like storms, gamoras and psylockes new looks (love the return of the mohawk XD), but my biggest complaints are.

Havok, i loved the look he had over the past few years, that mask is just goofy looking.

SpOck (upcoming ben reilly looking one doesnt look bad though)

scarlet witch

MS MARVEL name change was unneccesary, and the costume and hair just add insult to injury by making her look like a star trek reject

Thor i've always hated the sleeveless look, gimme back the chainmail

Cyclops...DORK

She-hulk and the rest of the "FF"

Hulk, i realize the power armor is to protect Banner, but it looks ridiculous on a green mass of muscle and rage.

#22 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve: I think any story with Alex Ross's art is going to garner a lot of attention. Jim Lee is like that to a lesser, or perhaps equal extent.

Speaking of which, For Tomorrow is okay, I just get confuzzled in it a little. I really just got it for the Jim Lee art.

#23 Posted by batmannflash (6166 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the OP, I didn't like Daredevil: Born Again.

I liked Dark Knight Returns, but it's not that good. I hated Carrie Kelly as Robin, and the art.

#24 Posted by XImpossibruX (5152 posts) - - Show Bio

@dh69 said:

@dabee said:

@dh69 said:

hange was unneccesary, and the costume and hair just add insult to injury by making her look like a star trek reject

She's so butch now.

#25 Edited by Pokeysteve (7897 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668 said:

@pokeysteve: I think any story with Alex Ross's art is going to garner a lot of attention. Jim Lee is like that to a lesser, or perhaps equal extent.

Speaking of which, For Tomorrow is okay, I just get confuzzled in it a little. I really just got it for the Jim Lee art.

I think that added to it though. I think Ross' art gets a little too much attention. It isn't as great as people build it up to be. His males usually look like they're all from the 50's and sometimes his females look like males. Jim Lee's stuff is great. His pencils are on another level then your average CB artist. This is all just one fellows opinion though.

#26 Posted by Extremis (3318 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker: yeah I mean I like to read a lot from both the big 2, but sometimes I wish I could just put my money towards one so that I can follow all the big events and such. Right now I'm at a point that I read so much from each that I can't afford ANY event. Anyway, that's one of a few reasons that I'm thinking about revamping my pull list, putting a lot less of the big 2 in there and a lot more Valiant. Valiant has the Unity event coming up, and it wouldn't be hard for me to know everything going on with 6 or 7 titles. Plus its a full on reboot so its very new reader friendly right now.

#27 Posted by Night Thrasher (3581 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

Blackest Night.

It was pretty good but was very expected. I didn't like the whole DC comic characters coming back as zombies bit. Im not an encyclopedia for DC's comic history (or I guess I just haven't been around long enough) so There were all these characters I didn't know so the "big reveal" of such and suches friend or spouse coming back as a black lantern had zero emotional impact on me. I guess I don't know enough about comics to even enjoy a big event comic. If I took time out to learn who everyone was I would literally have to Every panel pause and look at Wikipedia just to know certain peripheral characters who suddenly take the spotlight. This is a big reason the big comic companies (DC and Marvel) are still very intimidating for me. Sometimes it sucks the Fun right out of it for me Instead of me just enjoying good stories. I'm even thinking about just dropping some titles from said publishers and instead immersing myself in a smaller company like Valiant. It's not as overwhelming, and if there's an event there's far less for less back story and characters to dig thru.

This

#28 Posted by entropy_aegis (14107 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything Batman by Scott Snyder,Court of Owls was pretty average,DOTF was outright atrocious.

#29 Posted by Reignmaker (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: Not a bad strategy. Valiant has been rock-solid with just about everything of late. I was a big fan of Quantum & Woody back in the day. I bet the new one will be good too. I've actually pulled back quite a bit myself recently. I'm subscribed to Marvel Unlimited though, so I have a wealth of back issues to swim through.

#30 Posted by sinestro_GL (3030 posts) - - Show Bio

Watch out Bat-fans...I vote Batman: RIP

#31 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve: I agree, Ross's females look.....beefy. Or they have fat faces. But I love the way he drew Captain Marvel though.

#32 Posted by Reignmaker (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll back you up on that.

#33 Posted by danhimself (22207 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Knight Returns

Watchmen

All Star Superman

#34 Posted by Billy Batson (57704 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to agree with Born Again, though I should probably reread it later.

But also:

Most of Miller's work

Kingdom Come - bleh

G-Mozz's New X-Men (it was okay) and Animal Man (I thought it was fairly good but I hated the ending. But everyone seems to love it according to the interwebs <_<)

And plenty of others.

BB

#35 Edited by Billy Batson (57704 posts) - - Show Bio

And many of the listed stories aren't even regarded as great.

BB

#36 Posted by Pokeysteve (7897 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668: Agree. Billy had an edge look to him. Beefy is as good way to describe his ladies.

#37 Posted by The Stegman (22705 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen, I liked the movie A LOT more than the graphic novel, which took me three tries to finish I was so bored reading it.

#38 Posted by MasterAction (632 posts) - - Show Bio

Words can't describe how much I hate Dark Knight Returns- ugly and convoluted

#39 Posted by silverJuggernaut (132 posts) - - Show Bio

sInestro corp wars, blackest nIght, watchmen

#40 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3873 posts) - - Show Bio

Age of Ultron was a major let down.

#41 Posted by Reignmaker (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

Age of Ultron was a major let down.

It's not over yet, is it? I was so close to picking it up. Even read that Moon Knight series in anticipation for it (not too shabby by the way). Pulled out last minute due to budgetary concerns. Based on most of the feedback I've been hearing, sounds like I dodged a bullet.

#42 Posted by Reignmaker (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to agree with Born Again, though I should probably reread it later.

But also:

Most of Miller's work

Kingdom Come - bleh

G-Mozz's New X-Men (it was okay) and Animal Man (I thought it was fairly good but I hated the ending. But everyone seems to love it according to the interwebs <_<)

And plenty of others.

BB

What stuff of Miller's do you like?

#43 Edited by JulieDC (859 posts) - - Show Bio

Alot of people will disagree with my opinion but I didn't like Batman and Son or really anything involving Damian Wayne for that matter...but mostly because those stories drastically changed Batman comics and in my opinion, not for the better.

I also didn't really like Hickman's Fantastic Four, because it focused too much on characters I didn't care about (like the Inhumans), had too many subplots, and way too much science talk that just really added to my general confusion of what was going on. Although I did cry during the part where everyone reacted to Human Torch's death....so it partially achieved what it set out to do...

#44 Posted by sinestro_GL (3030 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl said:

High five!

I would also vote 'Final Crisis' but the OP says "great comic story".

#45 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl said:

I also couldn't get into Batman R.I.P. It was just too confusing for me.

#46 Posted by Veshark (9057 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc said:

Alot of people will disagree with my opinion but I didn't like Batman and Son or really anything involving Damian Wayne for that matter...but mostly because those stories drastically changed Batman comics and in my opinion, not for the better.

I also didn't really like Hickman's Fantastic Four, because it focused too much on characters I didn't care about (like the Inhumans), had too many subplots, and way too much science talk that just really added to my general confusion of what was going on. Although I did cry during the part where everyone reacted to Human Torch's death....so it partially achieved what it set out to do...

Did you at least like the last issue where Future Franklin left? I thought the ending epilogue was really nice....

#47 Posted by Billy Batson (57704 posts) - - Show Bio

What stuff of Miller's do you like?

I liked DKR when I first read it (not sure how it holds up though) and Year One was decent too.

Same with his Daredevil. I liked it well enough but I found it to be overrated.

I've been reading Sin City lately and I've found it rather bleak.

BB

#48 Edited by JulieDC (859 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: oh yeah. Forgot about the future stuff...did like that though I was still confused about some of the stuff going on.

#49 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3709 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Hole, for example.

@reignmaker said:

For me it was Frank Miller's "Born Again" story with Daredevil. I prefaced it by reading his earlier run on the character - which I thought was pretty solid, if a little dated.

Overall I found "Born Again" to be rather 'meh.' I don't see how it's one of the greatest comic book stories of all time - or even the greatest DD story for that matter. I did enjoy the first third of the story arc, but it seemed to deteriorate into a random mess, and finally the emergence of Nuke felt bizarre and off-point. I also didn't like how Captain America slapped a lowly soldier for following orders - what a douche. I've liked other works by Frank Miller, so it really surprised me that I wasn't a fan of this.

So what "great" comic book story didn't work for you?

I agree with that. Nonetheless, I like all of it.

#50 Edited by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3709 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve said:

I think that added to it though. I think Ross' art gets a little too much attention. It isn't as great as people build it up to be. His males usually look like they're all from the 50's and sometimes his females look like males. Jim Lee's stuff is great. His pencils are on another level then your average CB artist. This is all just one fellows opinion though.

His males look so old fashioned because he makes them look more like they did in all those 50`s comics, that way. The female thing though...I`m not a big fan of taht approach, but it does make all those strong, athletic ladies look more realistic, `cause they actually LOOK athletic.