• 174 results
reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By reignmaker

This isn't a typical hate thread where you post your most loathed character (*cough*...Hal Jordan...*cough*).

This is a thread where you post characters that you know you should respect, but for whatever reason you just don't. Give your reasoning if possible. This can also act as a forum where you can seek to clear false perceptions that others may have. So let's hold hands as a comics community, and get started...

For me it's Captain America. I know that sounds terrible. I've always considered myself a patriotic person, but Cap just hasn't done it for me. I've read a good number of Avengers stories, but I've always had zero interest in reading about Cap in a solo adventure - especially if it's another WWII flashback (such an overused plot thread). That and I think his costume would be one of the most ridiculous spectacles in real life. As a result, I almost always bet against Cap on the battle forums if it's close.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6179a9df861
deactivated-5d6179a9df861

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Superman, I have always found him boring, because he was so powerfull and has lame weaknesses. Also the fact that he can hide his identity with a pair of classes and changing his posture a bit.

spawn_123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By spawn_123

@pulseangel666 said:

Superman, I have always found him boring, because he was so powerfull and has lame weaknesses. Also the fact that he can hide his identity with a pair of classes and changing his posture a bit.

THIS

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By reignmaker

@pulseangel666 said:

True. The putting glasses-on thing has always annoyed me as well. I mean how dumb are these people who work at the The Daily Planet? Then again, don't we all know someone who bares a resemblance to someone famous?

No Caption Provided
SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By SoA

Thor , i see him get knocked around constantly in avenger books but in his solo series he completely obliterates his opponents , i understand holding back so you dont kill everyone but i see it as such :

you are a adult male 6'4, 300 lbs you are in body builder shape ,you see two children fighting they are 5' 80 lbs and 5'8 120 lbs , the heavier child is beating up the weaker one . you intervene ,true you are not going to put all your strength into hitting the bully but if and when you separate them and break up the fight are you going to allow the 120 lb kid to kick your butt up and down the street? no , this is how i see Thor yes he could kill almost everyone but he allows himself to get a beat down show some strength man!

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheCrowbar

Thor

Captain America(Loved him preAvX)

Reed Richards.

PlasticBag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By PlasticBag

@TheCrowbar said:

Thor

Captain America(Loved him preAvX)

Reed Richards.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#9  Edited By TheCannon

Wally West

Dick Grayson

Guy Garner

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By fodigg

I simply do not find the following characters compelling, despite their supposed import to comics generally and the DCU specifically:

Oddly, DC: The New Frontier featured all three prominently and were all great. So it's not that I can't appreciate their characters, it's just so rare that I actually find them compelling the way they're presented.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmashBrawler

@fodigg said:

I simply do not find the following characters compelling, despite their supposed import to comics generally and the DCU specifically:

Oddly, DC: The New Frontier featured all three prominently and were all great. So it's not that I can't appreciate their characters, it's just so rare that I actually find them compelling the way they're presented.

In this case I think you should check out JLA: The Nail (and JLA: Another Nail). Barry's a little closer to his New Frontier incarnation (since he's younger), Hal is... okay, he doesn't do much really, and J'onn has his usual personality but kicks a lot of ass. It's also worth reading just to see the DCU if it was written like Marvel (well, the first volume at least).

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well..

1. Lobo - I just hate him, idk why.
  2. Storm - Blame Thor, it's like "Everything she can do, he can do 10x better."
  3. Galactus - A gigant pink/purple guy with hunger problems? screw you.
Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By Strider1992

@pulseangel666 said:

Yep this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2e798651249
deactivated-5b2e798651249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Superman gets too much hate. Hating Superman has become mainstream and people always say: "he's too powerful, he's too invincible, blah blah blah." I could name dozens upon dozens of characters who have one-shotted Superman and people have no problem with that character.

Anyway, most people would expect me to say Thor, but I respect Thor. I'd say Galactus, since he's (in his prime) a universe buster, yet (some) people put him above COIE Anti-Monitor.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By reignmaker

@logy5000 said:

Superman gets too much hate. Hating Superman has become mainstream and people always say: "he's too powerful, he's too invincible, blah blah blah." I could name dozens upon dozens of characters who have one-shotted Superman and people have no problem with that character.

Anyway, most people would expect me to say Thor, but I respect Thor. I'd say Galactus, since he's (in his prime) a universe buster, yet (some) people put him above COIE Anti-Monitor.

If Superman was full of angst and was more like Twilight, then everyone would love him. I agree I think the "he's too strong" argument is bull$*#!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fodigg

@SmashBrawler said:

@fodigg said:

In this case I think you should check out JLA: The Nail (and JLA: Another Nail). Barry's a little closer to his New Frontier incarnation (since he's younger), Hal is... okay, he doesn't do much really, and J'onn has his usual personality but kicks a lot of ass. It's also worth reading just to see the DCU if it was written like Marvel (well, the first volume at least).

Thanks for the rec, but THE NAIL didn't grab me the same way. Although it did have an interesting take on Batman & Catwoman, I will definitely give it that.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmashBrawler

@fodigg said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@fodigg said:

Thanks for the rec, but THE NAIL didn't grab me the same way. Although it did have an interesting take on Batman & Catwoman, I will definitely give it that.

Well actually, I agree with both of your points: The Nail wasn't as good as New Frontier (although I still loved it) and the Batman part was definitely the best.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#18  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

captain America and Superman.

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThexX

Nightwing (Dick Grayson)

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By JLDoom

I dont hate Thor, but the concept has never appealed to me

Calildur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Calildur

Superman for above reasons, and Thor, while i respect them, they are more like a living plot device for me, in the end they save the day by their too damn versatile powers. I want to see something like Thor cant manage to do something, so he grants someone with the power to use Mjolnir, like Cap and the basicly only a human, saves the World, teaching Thor some lesson.

Mini_Bat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mini_Bat

Superman, just can't like him I don't know why but, I like Superboy and Supergirl

Asagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Asagod

@spawn_123 said:

@pulseangel666 said:

THIS

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Stormbox

Man, lots of superman hate in this thread

Razero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Razero

A few months ago I'd have said Superman, but he's beginning to grow on me.

Now I'd say Wonder Women. I understand she's an icon and all but I doubt I'll ever like her.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jack Donaghy

People hating on Superman? Must be a day that ends with y, not saying that people have to like him or anything but my God is it getting old and predictable. Hipsters man hipsters.

To answer the OP, I guess I've never really seen the appeal of Reed Richards and Wonder Woman.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

All of the X Men, yes, I know they are loved, but I just find most of them kind of annoying.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@Jack Donaghy:  

People hating on Superman? Must be a day that ends with y, not saying that people have to like him or anything but my God is it getting old and predictable. Hipsters man hipsters

If you don't like Supes it's fine, but people give the same lame a**   "He's overpowered" or "He's too much of a boy scout" answer every time, to answers that can be easily proven false if they pick up a Superman book and read it.
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Gambit1024

Black Panther.

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By INLIFE

As Soon As I Saw The Title Of This Topic, I Knew A Lot Of People Were Going To Say Superman.............I Have Yet To See A Valid Argument For Logically And Truly Hating Him. I Hope I Never See One.....The Attempts Already Horrify Me Greatly.

Here Are Characters That Have Not Grown On Me To A Level That Allows Me To Respect Them....Yet:

-Wonder Woman

-Cyclops

-Daken

-Jason Todd

-Daken

-Pepper Potts

-Gwen Stacey

-Reed Richards

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mooty_Pass

@pulseangel666 said:

This

RoyHarperBLOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RoyHarperBLOW

Galactus.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Eternal19

@Stormbox said:

this, superman fans can't get a day without hearing the "he's overpowered" or " hes to perfect" argument

metroplex02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By metroplex02

rainbow raider

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fodigg

@Eternal19 said:

@Stormbox said:

this, superman fans can't get a day without hearing the "he's overpowered" or " hes to perfect" argument

I don't like either of those arguments. Very powerful and very morally unambiguous characters can still be written well. IMO, the more damning complaints are:

• He's too old-fashioned and familiar.
  • He's too boring.
  • Every knockoff of him is more interesting than he is. (Including the DC Elseworlds.)

It takes a strong writer with a good twist and nothing tying his hands to make Superman good. And, hey, when it hits, it hits hard. Loved me some Red Son Superman and All Star Superman to name two. Unfortunately it seems like they've been flailing around with the character with no clue what to do with him for a long time now.

Splitting him from Lois was one important step. Not because you can't write a married character well but because, well, they didn't know what to do with them. And the Clark we see in Action Comics since the revamp hasn't been as bad either.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Eternal19

@fodigg said:

@Eternal19 said:

@Stormbox said:

I don't like either of those arguments. Very powerful and very morally unambiguous characters can still be written well. IMO, the more damning complaints are:

• He's too old-fashioned and familiar.
  • He's too boring.
  • Every knockoff of him is more interesting than he is. (Including the DC Elseworlds.)

It takes a strong writer with a good twist and nothing tying his hands to make Superman good. And, hey, when it hits, it hits hard. Loved me some Red Son Superman and All Star Superman to name two. Unfortunately it seems like they've been flailing around with the character with no clue what to do with him for a long time now.

Splitting him from Lois was one important step. Not because you can't write a married character well but because, well, they didn't know what to do with them. And the Clark we see in Action Comics since the revamp hasn't been as bad either.

yes, those are incredibly annoying. Red Son and All-star Superman are two of the best Superman books ever. I am also really enjoying Morrison's run on action as well, I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GunGunW

Thor I guess.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

Aquaman.

No matter how many ret-cons he goes through. No matter what DC does to re-vamp him. No matter what new power they bestow upon him. No matter how many rave reviews critics may rain upon his current series. As far as I'm concerned, Aquaman is and always will be "that dude that talks to fish."

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

@Reignmaker said:

If Superman was full of angst and was more like Twilight, then everyone would love him. I agree I think the "he's too strong" argument is bull$*#!

That series was called Smallville.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KnightRise

@INLIFE: @Stormbox: This thread asked for opinions. That doesn't equal hate.

Hulk

He doesn't appeal to me, and I feel like he's not as impressive power-wise as he apparently should be.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Matchstick

Storm. I don't hate her, and it has nothing to do with her fans, I just don't get what all the fuss is about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6179a9df861
deactivated-5d6179a9df861

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: You toke the words out of my mouth.

@Jack Donaghy: Just because someone don't like superman, it do not make this person a hipster. I have read comics since i was 7 and I'm 22 today and I have never liked him. I have all kinds of respect for superman fans, I just don't like him very much myself, and maby that will changes with the new supes film which seems to be good.

@Eternal19: @The Stegman: I know this is true and he is not all overpowered, if you look i wrote 'was' to powerfull, and maby i should have wrote mostly the silverager superman with the planetmoving and stuff, the modern supes seems more down to earth. :)

briangsharon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By briangsharon
No Caption Provided
Rick_Grayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rick_Grayson

Jason Todd for me. IMO he's the worst robin, he pretty much had less training than all the others but for some reason he consistently doesn't get his ass handed to him.

I'd pay some serious cash to see him get properly punked out by Tim or Damian.

Roxasnelson14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Roxasnelson14

i will go with captain america or Thor

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Stormbox

@KnightRise said:

@INLIFE: @Stormbox: This thread asked for opinions. That doesn't equal hate.

Hulk

He doesn't appeal to me, and I feel like he's not as impressive power-wise as he apparently should be.

Meh just sayin

Plus it does kinda feel like hate when people use outdated and incorrect arguments

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By xybernauts

Wasp, I honestly don't get her character. She grows smaller to fight supervillians with super strength and other super powers? At least her husband can grow and shrink and he is a genius and I like the Yellowjacket version of his character, but she is lacking. She'd be better if she used her powers for stealth, infiltrations, and sabatoge, not for direct combat. And make her more then a house wife. But honestly I'm basing this mostly on animated versions of her character and maybe the Ultimates comic from a few years back.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#48  Edited By cosmicallyaware1

wonder woman. should respect the hell outta her, just don't.

rico_3088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By rico_3088

Flash, hate the whole speed force stuff.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By evilvegeta74

Batman