• 168 results
#1 Posted by Rell127 (291 posts) - - Show Bio

Name 10 rip off Characters and who they are a rip off of. Doesn't matter the company or the characters.

#2 Posted by cody1984 (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

Ms. Marvel-Captain Marvel

She Hulk-Hulk

Spider Woman-Spiderman

Batgirl-do I really need to say who?

Batwoman-same as bat girl

Almost all female comic book superheroes

#3 Edited by fACEmelter88 (613 posts) - - Show Bio

They usually look more alike but still they're pretty similar

Fighting American
Captain America
#4 Posted by Icarusflies (12505 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarecrow is a rip-off of Scarecrow

Thanos is a rip-off of Darkseid

The Thunderbolts are a rip-off of the Suicide Squad

Black Cat is a rip-off of Catwoman

Deadpool is a rip-off of Deathstroke (duh)

The Red Circle characters and classic Marvel characters seem to be a BIT too similar…though I'm not sure who ripped off whom.

The X-Men are a rip-off of the Doom Patrol

The Top is a rip-off of the Human Top

Impossible Man is a rip-off of Mr. Mxyzptlk

Black Panther is a rip-off of Batman

#5 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman a rip-off of Wylie's Gladiator

Marvel's Gladiator (and Hyperion) a rip-off of Superman

Miss Marvel a rip-off of Super Girl

Bucku ripped-off Robin

Swamp Thing was a rip off of Man-Thing

X-Men was a rip-off of Doom Patrol

WildC.A.T.S. a rip-off of X-Men

Wolverine a rip-off of Timberwolf (?) -I'm not sure.

Fantastic Four (Team Idea) was a rip-off of the Justice League -Lee even says so.

Bendis's hairdo a rip-off of Morrison's hairdo.

#6 Posted by Man Without Fear (219 posts) - - Show Bio
@cody1984 said:

She Hulk-Hulk

Spider Woman-Spiderman

How are those characters rip-offs if they are owned by the same company and purposely based on those characters for the sake of sales?
#7 Posted by Saren (25891 posts) - - Show Bio

Gladiator is a Superman ripoff, Thanos and Apocalypse are both Darkseid ripoffs, Imperiex is a Galactus ripoff, Deadpool is a Deathstroke ripoff, Black Cat is a Catwoman ripoff, Impossible Man is a Mxyzpltk ripoff, Moon Knight is a Batman ripoff.

#8 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman-Zorro 

#9 Posted by Deadcool (6813 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberninja:

Actually Batman (as far as I know) is a Shadow rip-off...

#10 Posted by cody1984 (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Man Without Fear said:

@cody1984 said:

She Hulk-Hulk

Spider Woman-Spiderman

How are those characters rip-offs if they are owned by the same company and purposely based on those characters for the sake of sales?

You just answered your own question. Marvel, DC, and others make female characters that are a rip off of the male version hoping to gain sales for female character books. That makes them a rip off. Unfortunately for Marvel, DC, and others this tends to lead to a stigma about those characters and leads to them not being able to carry their own book. Wonder Woman, Witch Blade, Vampirella, etc. whether you love them or hate them have an ongoing series and have had several different series as well...unlike copycat female characters.

#11 Posted by SC (13212 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Thanos - actually a rip off of Metron - he even had a chair and everything - his evolution lead him to bulking up a bit more and thus comparisons and influence from Darkseid were made referenced.  Source: The Anti Ignorance Formula.  

2. Superman - Ripped off Philip Wylie's Gladiator and Hercules 

3. Batman - Zorro  

4 - ∞. All other comic characters - Ripped off either Batman or Superman.  

Oops, only 1 to 10... nyeh, ∞ was more interesting to me *grin*

#12 Posted by Man Without Fear (219 posts) - - Show Bio
@cody1984 said:

You just answered your own question. Marvel, DC, and others make female characters that are a rip off of the male version hoping to gain sales for female character books. That makes them a rip off. Unfortunately for Marvel, DC, and others this tends to lead to a stigma about those characters and leads to them not being able to carry their own book. Wonder Woman, Witch Blade, Vampirella, etc. whether you love them or hate them have an ongoing series and have had several different series as well...unlike copycat female characters.

What I was asking is how can a company rip-off it's own ideas? Stan Lee had a hand in created both the Hulk and She-Hulk so how can he copy off himself?
#13 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm about to go overboard...hold on. 

1.Philip Wylie's Gladiator-Superman 
2.Superman-Sentry,Majestic,Supreme,Apollo,Marvel Man,Captain Marvel,Gladiator,Wonder Man,Hyperion,Blue Marvel,Master Man,Icon,Plutonian 
3.Zorro-The Shadow,Batman 
4.Batman-Moon Knight,Nighthawk,Midnighter,Night Thrasher,Darkwing Duck,Big Daddy 
5.The Shield-Guardian,Captain America,Patriot,Battlestar,U.S. Agent, 
6.San Seref (The Spirit)-Elektra 
7.Diana, Greek Goddess-Wonder Woman,Warrior Woman,Ms.Marvel,Power Princess,Hippolyta,Donna Troy 
8.Green Lantern-Dr.Spectrum,Blue Light 
9.X-Men-Cyberforce 
10.Doom Patrol-X-Men 
11.Daredevil-Nightwing 
12.Robin-Bucky 
13.Batman's Rouge Gallery-Daredevil's Rouge Gallery 
a.The Penguin-The Owl 
b.Scarecrow-Scarecrow 
c.The Joker-The Jester 
d.The Bruiser-Bane 
e.Deadshot-Bullseye 
14.The Justice League of America-The Supreme Squadron 

#14 Posted by cody1984 (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Man Without Fear said:

@cody1984 said:

What I was asking is how can a company rip-off it's own ideas? Stan Lee had a hand in created both the Hulk and She-Hulk so how can he copy off himself?

Dictionary.com

1.an act or instance of ripping off another or others; a theft, cheat, or swindle.

2.exploitation, especially of those who cannot prevent or counter it.

3.a copy or imitation.

4.a person who rips off another or others; thief or swindler.

Number 3 explains why doesn't matter if its the same company and even the same man who created the characters.

#15 Edited by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

1. Thanos - actually a rip off of Metron - he even had a chair and everything - his evolution lead him to bulking up a bit more and thus comparisons and influence from Darkseid were made referenced. Source: The Anti Ignorance Formula. 2. Superman - Ripped off Philip Wylie's Gladiator and Hercules 3. Batman - Zorro 4 - ∞. All other comic characters - Ripped off either Batman or Superman. Oops, only 1 to 10... nyeh, ∞ was more interesting to me *grin*

Delightful as always sir.

I was about to say that I don't really understand the concepts of Rip-offs. I mean, no character is exactly the same. Just because Batgirl and Batwoman have "Bat" in their title, it doesn't mean they are suddenly Batman clones.

E.g. Comparing names is stupid. And if you are saying characters with similar powers and or costumes?

I mean, their is a legion of female X psychics. Does that mean they are rip-offs of each other?

The best way you can explain so called "rip-offs" is that they are characters with similar properties.

I suppose this,
Is a rip-off of this...

They are both cars.

#16 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@cody1984 said:

@Man Without Fear said:

@cody1984 said:

Dictionary.com

1.an act or instance of ripping off another or others; a theft, cheat, or swindle.

3.a copy or imitation.

Number 3 explains why doesn't matter if its the same company and even the same man who created the characters.

That may be true. But, She-Hulk isn't a copy of Bruce? She gained her powers because of Bruce. It was all part of a story, and if you know Jen, then you would know she is very different then Bruce.

The only thing they share is blood (being cousins, and also the reason She-Hulk was created), green skin, and powers.

If characters with similar properties couldn't be created, many characters wouldn't have been made in the first place.

#17 Posted by cody1984 (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hawkeye446 said:

@cody1984 said:

@Man Without Fear said:

@cody1984 said:

Dictionary.com

3.a copy or imitation.

That may be true. But, She-Hulk isn't a copy of Bruce? She gained her powers because of Bruce. It was all part of a story, and if you know Jen, then you would know she is very different then Bruce.

The only thing they share is blood (being cousins, and also the reason She-Hulk was created), green skin, and powers.

If characters with similar properties couldn't be created, many characters wouldn't have been made in the first place.

Jen is called She-Hulk has the same type of powers as the Hulk and is green like the Hulk hence she is a rip off. If she looked completely normal with different powers she got from a blood transfusion and didn't call herself she-hulk then she wouldn't be a rip off character. Her being green, having the same power set, and calling herself she-hulk is what makes her a rip off of the hulk. If she had the same power set looked normal and didn't call herself she hulk then she wouldn't be a rip off character. The powerset is only one factor its everything combined which makes her a rip off character.

#18 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@cody1984 said:

@Hawkeye446 said:

@cody1984 said:

@Man Without Fear said:

@cody1984 said:

Dictionary.com

3.a copy or imitation.

Jen is called She-Hulk has the same type of powers as the Hulk and is green like the Hulk hence she is a rip off. If she looked completely normal with different powers she got from a blood transfusion and didn't call herself she-hulk then she wouldn't be a rip off character. Her being green, having the same power set, and calling herself she-hulk is what makes her a rip off of the hulk. If she had the same power set looked normal and didn't call herself she hulk then she wouldn't be a rip off character. The powerset is only one factor its everything combined which makes her a rip off character.

Ok then. Consider this. The blood transfusion saved Jen's life. it was her only option. However, the blood contained gamma particles. The gamma particles have the effect of the green skin and powers set. DUE to her look and powers, it only makes sense to call her She-Hulk.

To change her, you would have to give her another whole way of powering her. The gamma particles, at least during the 80's wouldn't have done anything different too her.

I guess Black Panther is a rip off of Batman? I mean, he has no powers, and relies of his speed/agility etc. They both wear black and similar costumes?

Or? because they don't have the same (or similar) name they aren't rip-offs?

#19 Edited by cody1984 (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hawkeye446 said:

Ok then. Consider this. The blood transfusion saved Jen's life. it was her only option.

Who cares? Yeah, its different then how the Hulk got his powers but she still turned into a female rip off of the Hulk.

@Hawkeye446 said:

The gamma particles have the effect of the green skin and powers set.

Doc Samson didn't turn green.

@Hawkeye446 said:

DUE to her look and powers, it only makes sense to call her She-Hulk.

Why wouldn't it make sense for her to just call herself Jen since that is her real name?

@Hawkeye446 said:

To change her, you would have to give her another whole way of powering her.

She is already a rip off of the Hulk. The character is doomed never to have a long running ongoing series. Making her completely different now isn't going to help the character at all.

@Hawkeye446 said:

The gamma particles, at least during the 80's wouldn't have done anything different too her.

Stan Lee and Marvel could've done something different with the character if they wanted to. They didn't though instead decided to make her a rip off due to their own personal prefrense and what they thought would sell...which time has proven them wrong about.

@Hawkeye446 said:

I guess Black Panther is a rip off of Batman?

1. I don't care about Batman or the Black Panther

2. Those two characters have nothing to do with what I wrote.

#20 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@cody1984 said:

@Hawkeye446 said:

Ok then. Consider this. The blood transfusion saved Jen's life. it was her only option.

Who cares? Yeah, its different then how the Hulk got his powers but she still turned into a female rip off of the Hulk.

@Hawkeye446 said:

The gamma particles have the effect of the green skin and powers set.

Doc Samson didn't turn green.

@Hawkeye446 said:

DUE to her look and powers, it only makes sense to call her She-Hulk.

Why wouldn't it make sense for her to just call herself Jen since that is her real name?

@Hawkeye446 said:

She is already a rip off of the Hulk. The character is doomed never to have a long running ongoing series. Making her completely different now isn't going to help the character at all.

@Hawkeye446 said:

The gamma particles, at least during the 80's wouldn't have done anything different too her.

Stan Lee and Marvel could've done something different with the character if they wanted to. They didn't though instead decided to make her a rip off due to their own personal prefrense and what they thought would sell...which time has proven them wrong about.

@Hawkeye446 said:

I guess Black Panther is a rip off of Batman?

1. I don't care about Batman or the Black Panther

2. Those two characters have nothing to do with what I wrote.

Ugh, I don;t have time for this, I concede. But you still don't understand my underlying point.

To be a rip-off they have to be a worse copy. Jen has her own personality. She never lost her intelligence, she was stuck as She-Hulk.

if you aren't willing to at least consider my point, why bother conversing?

Your name point is dumb? Why would they call her Jen? She needed a Super-Hero identity???? I don't understand why anyone would be calling her Jen instead of a secret identity.

Also she had a 60 issue series. That is a lot more than MANY characters. I mean, i can't think of any of my other VERY favourite characters to get a book that ran so long? I mean, that was her SECOND volume too.

Oh, well played. So even though I was targeting a point you made that wasn't singled out and actually had too do with your point at hand, simply refuse to respond. That's how arguments are won.

#21 Posted by cody1984 (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hawkeye446 said:

Ugh, I don;t have time for this, I concede. But you still don't understand my underlying point.
To be a rip-off they have to be a worse copy.

She is not as successful as the hulk and if wasn't for team books and appearing in other characters titles would've faded into obscurity going by your own view of what a rip off is she meets that since she is a worse copy.

@Hawkeye446 said:

Jen has her own personality. She never lost her intelligence, she was stuck as She-Hulk.

She is green, has the same power set, and calls herself she hulk she meets the defination of a rip off.

@Hawkeye446 said:

if you aren't willing to at least consider my point, why bother conversing?

Your point is "I like she hulk and her being called a rip off makes her sound bad which I don't like". If you like the character fine but it still doesn't change the fact the character is a rip off of the Hulk.

@Hawkeye446 said:

Why would they call her Jen?

Why not?

@Hawkeye446 said:

She needed a Super-Hero identity????

Why? Every superhero character has some super hero identity I'd actually like it if they just their regular name since their is no interesting superhero or villain name left.

@Hawkeye446 said:

I don't understand why anyone would be calling her Jen instead of a secret identity.

Maybe since if she went by her name after getting her powers it would make sense to call her by her name instead of some secret identity name she didn't have?

@Hawkeye446 said:

Also she had a 60 issue series.

Yeah, but it still got dropped.

@Hawkeye446 said:

Oh, well played. So even though I was targeting a point you made that wasn't singled out and actually had too do with your point at hand, simply refuse to respond. That's how arguments are won.

I didn't respond to it because I don't care about those two characters and you didn't even make a point you tried to take the subject elsewhere and get into a whole other discussion that I could care less about.

#22 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

For pity's sake! She-Hulk is a spin-off not a rip-off!

#23 Edited by cody1984 (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

She's both actually. She got enough attention from the Hulk series to get her own but concept wise she is a complete rip off of the Hulk. A Spin off character is simply a character a part of another series who gets enough popularity to get their own series.

#24 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

THANK YOU OMG THAT'S ALL I NEEDED.

#25 Posted by AwesomeAquaman (153 posts) - - Show Bio

The Imperial Guards (rip off) is a definite rip off of Legion of Heroes (Original).

#26 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@cody1984 said:

@Hawkeye446 said:

Her not having a long running on-going has nothing to do with her powerset or her relationship to Hulk.She has the longest running ongoings of any female superhero in the Marvel Universe.
#27 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

The Borg is a rip-off of the Cybermen. But a really cool rip-off never the less~

#28 Posted by EdBlank (542 posts) - - Show Bio

SpiderMan, Venom, Carnage, Anti-Venom, (like 12 more symbiotes), six armed doppleganger, scarlet spider, Man Spider, SpiderWoman, Spawn and Haunt (stylewise). Hulk (World Breaker, Maestro, Mr Fix It, Savage, Hulk with Banner's mind), Ambomination, A Bomb, Doc Sampson, the Leader (sort of a reverse hulk), Red Hulk, She Hulk, Red She Hulk, Skaar Superman, Superboy/girl/dog/horse/prime/onemillion, Shazam, Sentry, Supreme, Plutonian, Hancock, Wonderman, Icon, Apollo, Gladiator, Majestic, Invincible (and his dad), Goku, and any other superstrong flying g-d like character. THIS IS SO BORING. Every really popular has city bus full of copies. At the end of almost every Marvel movie the good guy fights an uglier, larger version of himself YAWN.

#29 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Nova Corps is a rip off of the Green Lantern Corps

Marvel Hercules and Vandal Savage in Demon Knights are like the same freakin character

Idk I don't like using such strong words like rip off

#30 Posted by Redletter (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

The Red Circle characters and classic Marvel characters seem to be a BIT too similar…though I'm not sure who ripped off whom.

Totally agree about the DOOM PATROL,

also wolverine is a rip off of Timber wolf

#31 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@EdBlank said:
Goku and any other superstrong flying g-d like character
Goku is nothing like Superman and is actually based on Son Goku\Sun Wukong from the story "Journey to the West". 
#32 Posted by cody1984 (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@cody1984 said:

@Hawkeye446 said:

Her not having a long running on-going has nothing to do with her powerset or her relationship to Hulk.She has the longest running ongoings of any female superhero in the Marvel Universe.

True she has the longest running ongoing compared to other marvel female characters. However, when you look outside of marvel a few of the female characters that aren't based off a male version of another character in the same universe have had more series and they have been longer as well. It's the stigma attached to the she hulk character being based blatantly based off a male character the hulk.

#33 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@cody1984 said:

True she has the longest running ongoing compared to other marvel female characters. However, when you look outside of marvel a few of the female characters that aren't based off a male version of another character in the same universe have had more series and they have been longer as well. It's the stigma attached to the she hulk character being based blatantly based off a male character the hulk.

Well at DC for instance there is only one character that isn't based on a more popular male superhero and has a longer running comic than She-Hulk. Wonder Woman is also the first female superhero. She has alot more working for her. All of DC's other female heroes that have even been allowed to have an ongoing have some relation to their more popular male characters (Batgirl,Batwoman,Power Girl,Supergirl,Harley Quinn). Vampirella has a longer running series than She-Hulk as does Witchblade but they have less competition within their companies. She-Hulk is in competition with alot more popular characters.
#34 Posted by EdBlank (542 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro Oh Yeah. The whole super being crash landed on Earth from a destroyed planet and raised by humans as their own til he discovered his powers and went about saving the Earth as the top superhero thing... That was all straight from Journey to the West.

#35 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

I'm not sure if a homage counts as a rip-off.

#36 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@EdBlank said:
@Vance Astro Oh Yeah. The whole super being crash landed on Earth from a destroyed planet and raised by humans as their own til he discovered his powers and went about saving the Earth as the top superhero thing... That was all straight from Journey to the West.
Akira Toriyama didn't copy Journey to the West exactly but Goku is based on The Monkey King.That part of his origin is something really small in comparison to his extensive amount of characteristics he shares with Sun Wukong.
#37 Posted by Billy Batson (58143 posts) - - Show Bio

I see Spider-man's villains as rip-offs of Batman's. Then again his villains weren't that original either...
BB

#38 Posted by Man Without Fear (219 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

I see Spider-man's villains as rip-offs of Batman's. Then again his villains weren't that original either...
BB

How are Spider-Man's villains anything like Batman's?
#39 Posted by Billy Batson (58143 posts) - - Show Bio

@Man Without Fear said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

How are Spider-Man's villains anything like Batman's?

Black Cat-Catwoman
Sandman-Clayface
these guys:

and the similarities between some of the villains.

BB
#40 Posted by cody1984 (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@cody1984 said:

Well at DC for instance there is only one character that isn't based on a more popular male superhero and has a longer running comic than She-Hulk. Wonder Woman is also the first female superhero. She has alot more working for her. All of DC's other female heroes that have even been allowed to have an ongoing have some relation to their more popular male characters (Batgirl,Batwoman,Power Girl,Supergirl,Harley Quinn). Vampirella has a longer running series than She-Hulk as does Witchblade but they have less competition within their companies. She-Hulk is in competition with alot more popular characters.

I don't think it has much to do with competition its just the stigma of her not being somewhat unique in the marvel universe and tied to teams with not being a founding member that hurts the character from having more popularity. It is true in the case of witchblade and vampirella that they don't have much competition. Red Sonja is part of Dynamtie entertainment as well as Vampirella, granted it is a recent development but the two charactes don't step on each others toes and are distinctive from each other (although Red Sonya is based heavily off of Conan which is quite obvious). So when it comes to characters like She Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Spider Woman, etc. they are based off male characters and don't have their own niche that they deal with like Wonder Woman has with the Amazons so its harder for them to gain mass popularity then a female character that is somewhat unique and has their own little world in a comic book companies universe.

#41 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@cody1984 said:  .

I don't think it has much to do with competition its just the stigma of her not being somewhat unique in the marvel universe and tied to teams with not being a founding member that hurts the character from having more popularity. It is true in the case of witchblade and vampirella that they don't have much competition. Red Sonja is part of Dynamtie entertainment as well as Vampirella, granted it is a recent development but the two charactes don't step on each others toes and are distinctive from each other (although Red Sonya is based heavily off of Conan which is quite obvious). So when it comes to characters like She Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Spider Woman, etc. they are based off male characters and don't have their own niche that they deal with like Wonder Woman has with the Amazons so its harder for them to gain mass popularity then a female character that is somewhat unique and has their own little world in a comic book companies universe.

Sure it does. You're taking the reason people are even reading She-Hulk in the first place and trying to equate it to the reason why her ongoing doesn't last. DC proves my point perfectly. If She-Hulk being "a hulk" had anything to do with her lack of sales then Supergirl,Batgirl,and Birds of Prey would have been cancelled several times over yet they sometimes rival Wonder Woman in sales rank. Witchblade,Vampirella and Red Sonja are comics produced by far smaller companies and because Marvel and DC dominate comic book sales, their female characters have to compete with characters like Batman,Wolverine,Superman,Spider-Man who are immensely popular and by far the most popular characters in comics. So a character like She-Hulk sells in the range of Deadpool,The Punisher,Moon Knight,Silver Surfer etc. Characters who are popular but due to their lackluster sales have their books cancelled and restarted all the time.
#42 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: pretty much all of Batman's early villains aside fro Joker were ripped off from Dick Tracy

#43 Posted by Comics4Me1800 (44 posts) - - Show Bio

@EdBlank:You censored "godlike"?????

#44 Posted by Billy Batson (58143 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@Billy Batson: pretty much all of Batman's early villains aside fro Joker were ripped off from Dick Tracy

yeah I know, I did mention it.
BB

#45 Posted by cody1984 (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@cody1984 said: .

Sure it does. You're taking the reason people are even reading She-Hulk in the first place and trying to equate it to the reason why her ongoing doesn't last. DC proves my point perfectly. If She-Hulk being "a hulk" had anything to do with her lack of sales then Supergirl,Batgirl,and Birds of Prey would have been cancelled several times over yet they sometimes rival Wonder Woman in sales rank. Witchblade,Vampirella and Red Sonja are comics produced by far smaller companies and because Marvel and DC dominate comic book sales, their female characters have to compete with characters like Batman,Wolverine,Superman,Spider-Man who are immensely popular and by far the most popular characters in comics. So a character like She-Hulk sells in the range of Deadpool,The Punisher,Moon Knight,Silver Surfer etc. Characters who are popular but due to their lackluster sales have their books cancelled and restarted all the time.

When it comes to female DC characters having their own title if they were marvel characters they would've gotten cancelled already due to sales and as you have said yourself in one of the topics asking "why doesn't marvel have a wonder woman?" You have stated Marvel doesn’t push for their female characters to have ongoing series and they aren't unique, which you are even stating here about Witch Blade, Vampirella, and Red Sonja since those companies actually push those characters. As far as sales figures go with She Hulk vs. the Punisher or Deadpool I'd really like to see the sales figures. Since Punisher has had a continuous series since 2000 and even two series going on at once off and on since 2006. It wouldn't surprise me if she did out sell Moon Knight and Silver Surfer since Moon Knight has always had issues keeping a series and silver surfer fell off the map over the years. Also her being a spin off character from another series doesn't mean much. The Punisher was a spin off character that appeared in many Spiderman and Daredevil comics before getting his own series and now his series and the character itself doesn't resemble his original appearance. She Hulk is different than the Punisher with her being a female version of the Hulk which hurts her since she will always be tied to that character.

#46 Posted by krilling (2488 posts) - - Show Bio

Ripclaw is a rip off of Wolverine
Fantastic Four are are rip off of the Challengers Of The Unknown

#47 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
@cody1984 said:

When it comes to female DC characters having their own title if they were marvel characters they would've gotten cancelled already due to sales

That's because Marvel sells more characters and produces more books than DC. 

@cody1984 said:

"why doesn't marvel have a wonder woman?" You have stated Marvel doesn’t push for their female characters to have ongoing series and they aren't unique, which you are even stating here about Witch Blade, Vampirella, and Red Sonja since those companies actually push those characters. 

My point wasn't that those characters aren't selling or aren't being pushed because they aren't unique. They aren't being pushed because Marvel gets more out of their male counterparts. They don't sell because Marvel fails to give them the same level of significance or more so than that of Male characters. Their male heroes have huger story arcs and more impact on the Marvel Universe. They never have Spider-Island,World War Hulk,Shadowland level story arcs. They are very isolated in their solos and treated as secondary on teams. Wonder Woman's significance to DC as a character is far greater than what significance Marvel would put on any of their female heroes. 

@cody1984 said:

As far as sales figures go with She Hulk vs. the Punisher or Deadpool I'd really like to see the sales figures. Since Punisher has had a continuous series since 2000 and even two series going on at once off and on since 2006. It wouldn't surprise me if she did out sell Moon Knight and Silver Surfer since Moon Knight has always had issues keeping a series and silver surfer fell off the map over the years. Also her being a spin off character from another series doesn't mean much. The Punisher was a spin off character that appeared in many Spiderman and Daredevil comics before getting his own series and now his series and the character itself doesn't resemble his original appearance. She Hulk is different than the Punisher with her being a female version of the Hulk which hurts her since she will always be tied to that character.

I was never suggesting that She-Hulk sold above those characters only they they are in the same range. Anywhere between 30-10,000 copies.
#48 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: Thank you sir. Just... Thank you.

#49 Posted by TheWitchingHour (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

I keep on hearing that X-men are a ripoff of Doom Patrol and this is really the first time I've heard something like that. I can definitely see it. But would anyone care to elaborate?

#50 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@cody1984:

She Hulk is different than the Punisher with her being a female version of the Hulk which hurts her since she will always be tied to that character.

Why does it hurt her? Hulk is immensely popular.

And even for people like me who don't like Hulk at all, I feel the opposite to Jen.

She was different. She was generally aware of her hulkness, and she didn't lose her intelligence. She was made a funny, and witty character.

This is the flaw with Jen supposedly being a rip-off. Their characters are so different. And like I said above, instead of 'transforming' she was stuck as the Hulk with intelligence intact, ergo, making her different.

Also, she would always be tied to Bruce, as they are cousins. Even if she had different powers she would probably be just as involved.