My Top 5 Avengers Who Didn't Hang Around

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

Edited By X35

With the Avengers film lighting up the cinemas, I'm going to do be doing a few Avengers-themed blogs to commemorate the release and share some of my Top 5s correlating to the Avengers franchise.

We start off with a list of my 5 favorite Avengers who weren't members of the team for very long. Obviously, I had to make a cut off for what was deemed a "brief tenure" since some could say Starfox or Quasar had brief tenures. If a character appeared in more than 6 issues as an active Avenger, they're not eligible for the list.

5. Demolition Man

Demolition Man: joined and left in Captain America (1968) #349
Demolition Man: joined and left in Captain America (1968) #349

Probably the biggest example of a short stint as an Avenger, Demolition Man (or more commonly D-Man) was recruited by Steve Rogers for the Avengers after they disassembled (back in the 80s, before it was "cool"). The Avengers needed to reform to battle the threats of Inferno and the Evolutionary War, and at the time, D-Man was one of Steve's closest friends and therefore one of his the first choices for the team. D-Man was an Avenger for all of an issue. And not even an issue of Avengers but instead an issue of Captain America. His sole mission saw The Avengers duo went to the Antarctic to rescue John Walker from Flag-Smasher and ULTIMATUM. Despite his silly Daredevil-meets-Wolverine costume, D-Man was inherently a nice guy and actually earned his place as an Avenger as evidenced by him sacrificing himself to save the life of a terrorist resulting in him being blown up over the Arctic sea (in a scene obviously mirroring what happened to Bucky). Robbing him of the noble death, D-Man was brought back a few years later and since helming the Marvel Universe Brian Bendis has seemingly made it his prerogative to make D-Man into even more of a laughing stock as a mentally-ill homeless villain.

4. Darkhawk

Darkhawk: joined in Darkhawk Annual #1, left in Avengers West Coast #95
Darkhawk: joined in Darkhawk Annual #1, left in Avengers West Coast #95

Darkhawk had a solo series that lasted 50 issues, he was a member of the New Warriors and the Avengers and he has recently played prominent parts in events like War of Kings. Despite all that, he still struggles to find a proper place in both the Marvel Universe and in ours. Darkhawk joined the Avengers in a story that ran across annuals in 1992 called "Assault on Armor City". In fact, it was a really good story. In a typical comic book manner, after they fought for a while, Darkhawk teamed up with the Avengers and helped them battle the real bad guy: Professor Power. Darkhawk then appeared with the Avengers in their own book for 3 issues as they battled Doctor Demonicus and the Pacific Overlords. And that was it for Darkhawk's tenure as an active Avenger. He opted to resign to being a "reserve" member which didn't work out well for him since the Avengers abandoned that entire system a couple of months afterwards.

3. Hulk

Hulk: joined in Avengers (1963) #1 and left in Avengers (1963) #2
Hulk: joined in Avengers (1963) #1 and left in Avengers (1963) #2

It's impossible to do this list without listing the most famous and memorable Avenger who wasn't with the team for long. Hulk was a founding member who quit in the second ever issue of Avengers. Hulk is a loner and a liability, so it only makes sense that he wouldn't stick around with the team for long. Although Hulk has been optioned to rejoin the team a few teams, most notably during his "Professor Hulk" days during his frequent team-ups with the Avengers during the Infinity Gauntlet, War and Crusade, he doesn't have any desire the re-enter their ranks. Simply put, Hulk and the Avengers aren't a match. In fact, he's appeared more often as an adversary to the Avengers than as an ally. Although, with the Hulk an Avenger in the movies and Marvel's pandering to the movie market, I wouldn't expect it to be long before Hulk rejoins the team fully for some banal reason.

2. Sandman

Sandman: joined in Avengers (1963) #329 and left in Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #348
Sandman: joined in Avengers (1963) #329 and left in Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #348

In the early 80s, the rather odd decision was made regarding the traditional and fairly common Spider-Man and Fantastic Four enemy Sandman. After one defeat too many, Sandman decided to move towards reforming. Working mostly as an ally to Silver Sable and Spider-Man, at the height of his heroic phase he was chosen by Captain America to join the Avengers following receiving a pardon for his former crimes. Sandman wasn't an Avenger for long, in fact if you were just reading the Avengers book you wouldn't have gotten much of an explanation for his sudden disappearance! A few months after joining, over in Amazing Spider-Man, the Avengers guest starred (don't forget Spider-Man was an Avenger back then too) and Sandman left the team at the end of the issue after a misunderstanding with Captain America. In a stupid moment of 90s nonsense, Howard Mackie and John Byrne decided to have Sandman become a villain again and ignore all the interesting work done with his reform.

1. Nova

Nova: joined in Secret Avengers #1, left in The Thanos Imperative #6
Nova: joined in Secret Avengers #1, left in The Thanos Imperative #6

With Siege over and done with, the Avengers recruited some new members for their ranks. Among them was fan favorite and Cosmic darling Nova on the Secret Avengers team. Although putting him on the black-ops group did seem a bit of a bizarre choice, Nova is a character who legitimately fits the Avengers. The fact that it took them so long to get around to making him an Avenger is more of a surprise than anything else. Sadly, Nova's tenure with the team was undeservedly cut short when he perished over in Thanos Imperative. Of all the brief tenures, Nova was probably the most upsetting since he so obviously deserved more of a run with the team.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#1  Edited By TheCannon

When was Sandman an Avenger?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@TheCannon said:

When was Sandman an Avenger?

*facepalm*

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

Great list.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By X35

@TheCannon:

said:

He was an Avenger in Avengers #329-333, Avengers Annual #20, Captain America #385 and Amazing Spider-Man #348. And briefly again in Avengers (1998) #1-4.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

Sandy pants should be one

who's the guy in the yellow mask

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By cattlebattle
@Fuchsia_Nightingale said:

Thats obscure, ex-New Warrior, Rage
Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@cattlebattle: Oh that guy.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By X35

@cattlebattle said:

I wouldn't say "obscure" exactly... he's been in quite a bit and... well he was an Avenger for longer than a lot of other folk. But, yeah, that guy is Rage aka the moody kid from the Avengers aka the moody kid from the New Warriors aka the moody kid from the Initiative.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cattlebattle
@X35 said:

@cattlebattle said:

I wouldn't say "obscure" exactly... he's been in quite a bit and... well he was an Avenger for longer than a lot of other folk. But, yeah, that guy is Rage aka the moody kid from the Avengers aka the moody kid from the New Warriors aka the moody kid from the Initiative.

I think the fact his identity is questioned could qualify him as "obscure"
nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By nickthedevil

I can agree with Nova, Sandman and Shadowhawk most definitely.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By TheGoldenOne
I miss Nova :'(
X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By X35

@nickthedevil said:

Ahhhh, good ol' Shadowhawk, eh? What a great name that was... a bit too dark a name for my liking though. xD

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nickthedevil

@X35 said:

@nickthedevil said:

Ahhhh, good ol' Shadowhawk, eh? What a great name that was... a bit too dark a name for my liking though. xD

...i get him and his doppleganger's names mixed up. whoops.

No Caption Provided
TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

Great list, I agree 100% with Sandman. I actually liked him more as the hero/anti-hero he was in the late-80's/early 90's, then the 2-bit criminal he was before or after. His slow transition and redemption actually made sense. I don't remember why he went back to being a villain, but I do remember thinking it was a pretty dumb reason.

bamaboykmb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By bamaboykmb

how do you make the little captions under the pictures and how do you center them?

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By X35

@Moonchilde said:

Great list, I agree 100% with Sandman. I actually liked him more as the hero/anti-hero he was in the late-80's/early 90's, then the 2-bit criminal he was before or after. His slow transition and redemption actually made sense. I don't remember why he went back to being a villain, but I do remember thinking it was a pretty dumb reason.

He was brainwashed by Wizard iirc >.<

@bamaboykmb said:

how do you make the little captions under the pictures and how do you center them?

It's all pretty... clear? You kinda just click underneath the image to type a caption there and to center it you're given the option when you add them to a post and again in the little floating toolbox :)

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

@X35 said:

@Moonchilde said:

He was brainwashed by Wizard iirc >.<

Yea, that is dumb, but sounds like something they would've done. You would think after 15 years he would be able to come to his senses, guess Marvel is just lazy (no surprise there). That entire Byrne Spider-Man reboot thing was pretty much awful. Not quite "One -More Day", or "Spider-Clone Saga" awful, but pretty damn close.

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By TheWitchingHour

Dude Sandman is a beast. he should have stayed on the Avengers.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Billy Batson

lol @ d-man being on this list
BB

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By X35

I'm starting to think Steve Rogers should meet all future Avengers in the same homoerotic manner he met D-Man:

No Caption Provided
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Nova is the only one of those that as actually a "good" Avenger.Darkhawk and Hulk are cool characters but I don't know if they where really great at being Avengers.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By X35

@Vance Astro: Yeah, coz giving your life for some terrorist scum who tried to kill you means nothing in heroics.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By joshmightbe

@cattlebattle said:

AKA black Hulk (Seriously his power is to get stronger with anger)

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By X35

@joshmightbe: oddly enough they made a Black Hulk character (i think that was his actual super hero name) over in the Ultimate Universe... it was pretty much Ultimate Rage in all but name haha

Ultimate Comics Avengers 2 #4
Ultimate Comics Avengers 2 #4
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@X35 said:

@Vance Astro: Yeah, coz giving your life for some terrorist scum who tried to kill you means nothing in heroics.

No, it means something.Doesn't make you a notable member of the Avengers though.
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By joshmightbe

@X35: I stopped reading the Ultimate universe a while ago when it became apparent that they preferred their good guys to be sociopaths

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By feebadger

So good to see someone else stand up and be counted as a D Man fan. Well, fan might be putting it a bit strongly, but i always thought that he was an interesting character and his 'loser' aspect made him all the more interesting. Someone striving that hard to be a worthwhile hero always made for some great dynamics. I also agree that Bendis' cheap shots at a character he was incapable of writing in an interesting manner deprived readers of hte opportunity to see him develop (or to simply remain dead, his logical story arc having come to an end). On the other side of the scale i couldn't agree with Nova more and am surprised that it never crossed my mind before. I am actually excited by the idea and am now off to get a shovel from the shed and dig up his remains to ensure that it happens.

hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work i go.....

Agypt2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Agypt2020

So typical of Marvel of late, I never liked D-Man just stupid costume, name, and not original powers. Nova and Darkhawk two favorites and liked the New Warriors but got mucked up. Instead this team becoming the Young Avengers, Marvel did another muck up and brought in new characters "Avengers- like" only kiddie versions. Hulk, they could and time to evolve, change him from rampaging monster to raging hero with a brain and heart. As for Sand Man back to villain and bring in Quicksand as an Avenger.