#1 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like it and here's why. Would you want to read a book where it's lex luthor with supermans body and powers killing all the villains and have the real Clark be dead?

Would you want to read joker being batman? I've seen people say things like it's not a big deal. But it kinda is at least to me. Just my thoughts

#2 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio
@sog7dc said:

I don't like it and here's why. Would you want to read a book where it's lex luthor with supermans body and powers killing all the villains and have the real Clark be dead?

If the writing was well done and it was temporary sure but it's still different. The reason why Slott decided to use Ock was that Peter could have easily became him if not for Uncle Ben. They have a lot more in common than Lex and Clark or Joker and Bats.

#3 Edited by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: I think it's well written. I just think it's a bad idea and I personally don't like it

#4 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6155 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't read this series, as I don't read Spider-Man comics generally. But I thought it seemed like an O.K. idea, up until I heard that Peter was gone completely. With him gone and Doctor Octopus in full control, it just seems kind of strange. With Peter still in there seeing what was happening, he was still there for readers to root for, and wonder how he was going to get out of it. Following a villain masquerading as a hero seems like it could be an uncomfortable thing to read, especially if it's a favourite character, which Spider-Man probably is to a lot of people.

I'll just repeat that I don't actually read Superior Spider-Man, so my thoughts on the matter could be irrelevant for all I know.

#5 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't read this series, as I don't read Spider-Man comics generally. But I thought it seemed like an O.K. idea, up until I heard that Peter was gone completely. With him gone and Doctor Octopus in full control, it just seems kind of strange. With Peter still in there seeing what was happening, he was still there for readers to root for, and wonder how he was going to get out of it. Following a villain masquerading as a hero seems like it could be an uncomfortable thing to read, especially if it's a favourite character, which Spider-Man probably is to a lot of people.

I'll just repeat that I don't actually read Superior Spider-Man, so my thoughts on the matter could be irrelevant for all I know.

Actually when ghost pete was around most people complained that he brought down the story(I was one of them), and nothing more than an escape route for marvel if the backlash was too much.

#6 Posted by Wolverine08 (39026 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree.

#7 Posted by Gamora616 (13 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not updated on this at all. Not even close. Would anyone care to explain the reason behind "Superior Spiderman"? The way the OP made it sounds is that a villain took on the moniker or physical body of a hero and started to take out other villains. What the hell is that?

#8 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not updated on this at all. Not even close. Would anyone care to explain the reason behind "Superior Spiderman"? The way the OP made it sounds is that a villain took on the moniker or physical body of a hero and started to take out other villains. What the hell is that?

Doc Ock was dying because of all the abuse he had went through throughout the years. He switched bodies with Spider-Man and Peter died in Ock's body. When Ock got control of Peter's body all of Peter's memories changed the way he thinks. So now he operates as the anti-hero "Superior Spider-Man"

#9 Posted by Gamora616 (13 posts) - - Show Bio

@gamora616 said:

Doc Ock was dying because of all the abuse he had went through throughout the years. He switched bodies with Spider-Man and Peter died in Ock's body. When Ock got control of Peter's body all of Peter's memories changed the way he thinks. So now he operates as the anti-hero "Superior Spider-Man"

That sounds... A bit farfetched. I like the idea of an anti-hero Spidey. But not like that...

#10 Edited by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@gamora616: He didn't finish though. Pck eliminated peters consciousness and now he's just a jerk

#11 Posted by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

Would you want to read joker being batman? I've seen people say things like it's not a big deal. But it kinda is at least to me. Just my thoughts

I absolutely would want to see those, but since it's DC it would be just an awesome elseworlds tale (which, let's be honest, odds are both of those stories exist in the Silver Age somewhere) but with Marvel all they have is their lame continuity.

#12 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2194 posts) - - Show Bio

Luthor being Superman would be a good read. Joker being Batman wouldn't because such a thing doesn't fall under Joker's motiff, which is exactly why Slott didn't use Green Goblin to supplant Spider-Man; such a thing wouldn't work for Goblin.

#13 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@gamora616: He didn't finish though. Pck eliminated peters consciousness and now he's just a jerk

He isn't just a jerk now. You may not like him and he definitely isn't a hero but he also isn't a villain which is why I called him an Anti-Hero. He's a better crime fighter than Pete with questionable morals. I thought him killing Peter (again) was pretty weird though considering the remorse he seems to show as Pete is dying the first time.

#14 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

He isn't just a jerk now. You may not like him and he definitely isn't a hero but he also isn't a villain which is why I called him an Anti-Hero. He's a better crime fighter than Pete with questionable morals. I thought him killing Peter (again) was pretty weird though considering the remorse he seems to show as Pete is dying the first time.

he blackmailed Jonah, he's killed 3 people so far hasn't he? heinsults people, he berates his professor, he was rude to mary j, he's disrespectful to peters boss. I actually read the series because its the first spiderman comic ive ever bought and im waiting for peter to come back. and he may be a more efficient crime fighter but he's in no way objectively "better" and lets not forget that he is a criminal himself. he's a murderer.

#15 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@peppeyhare said:

@sog7dc said:

he blackmailed Jonah, he's killed 3 people so far hasn't he? heinsults people, he berates his professor, he was rude to mary j, he's disrespectful to peters boss. I actually read the series because its the first spiderman comic ive ever bought and im waiting for peter to come back. and he may be a more efficient crime fighter but he's in no way objectively "better" and lets not forget that he is a criminal himself. he's a murderer.

He's killed two I think (Unless i'm just forgetting somebody). I'm not saying he's a good person or a hero. Like I said he's an anti-hero just like Punisher or Deadpool.

#16 Posted by dondave (34756 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spider-Man is awesome

#17 Posted by M3th (2050 posts) - - Show Bio

I have enjoyed the series. I want to buy it but I made a ridiculous promise I wouldn't until they bring back Peter.

Plus, I don't have the extra feds for it. I also want to add that YES I would be down to read a story of Lex controlling Supes powers or Sabertooth having Wolverines powers.

I'm even down for a Dr.Doom controlling Reed's body that would be an interesting story.

#18 Posted by Negativecreep94 (64 posts) - - Show Bio

I can never get into it. The idea of Doc Ock in his body felt like a slap in the face as a Spider-man fan.

#19 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

You keep saying it's well written, well it's not. The dialogue is cheesy and everything that happens happens too fast.

#20 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17406 posts) - - Show Bio

it's terrible. there is no "MY OPINION" in this, if you like it, you are Not a spider-man fan

#21 Posted by Enzeru (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like it either.
Peter Parker's charm is totally gone.

The good thing is that Spider-Ock will soon meet a Doctor Octopus from the past or something like that... I guess that's where Marvel will slowly come up with a plan to switch bodies again and have a regular Doctor Octopus back to the comics and not the abomination he used the be shortly before he died.

#22 Edited by BrokenSpear (189 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

it's terrible. there is no "MY OPINION" in this, if you like it, you are Not a spider-man fan

Dan slott is a piece of isht hack writer with no love for spidey at all, he claims to be one of spiderman's biggest fans but i can't recall anywhere in the history of comic history where such a beloved and iconic character was dealt such an ignominious defeat.

Spidey didn't die saving the world, or a loved one. He didn't even manage to rid the world of the menace that took his place in the process, he got completely outplayed and humiliated by doc ock.

That was ok though right? spidey'll be back, his conciousness is still downloaded somewhere so there's a chance for redemption right? nope doc ock dan slott destroys that too, but spiderman still asserts himself in a final battle for dominance of the mind of peter parker and you'd think we'd be treated to an epic battle, but....

Doc ock completely overpowers him again and spidey is reduced to a snivelling crybaby before doc ock erases him forever.

Dan slott replaced our friendly neighborhood spiderman with a villain that has no heroic qualities at all. A villain that does "good" not to save innocents or redeem himself, but to prove to himself that he can do a better job.

"Superior Spider-man" doesn't qualify as an anti-hero, he doesn't do bad things for the greater good, he's just an asshole with delusions of grandeur that took over a real hero's body.

#23 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17406 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by Guardiandevil83 (5370 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th: Sabertooth does have Wolverines powers. Just not knuckle claws

#25 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5216 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: I'd like to see that, because I'd like to see how Supes would fix everything if he were able to get his body back.

#26 Posted by Strider92 (16163 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually up until issue 9 Superior was pretty good.........

Then they made it so Peter would rather have a child die than let Otto run around in his body a moment longer........F*** you Slott for destroying years and years of character evolution and continuity in a single issue for absolutely no reason!

#27 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

If you want to know how Joker as Batman would be just read Nemesis or watch that one The Batman episode where Joker dresses up as Batman and fights crime. Those are the two closest things that we'll ever get.

Now Luthor as Superman sounds like an awesome idea don't you think? I mean holy crap that needs to happen in an elseworld.

#28 Posted by frogdog (3242 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

Dan slott is a piece of isht hack writer with no love for spidey at all, he claims to be one of spiderman's biggest fans but i can't recall anywhere in the history of comic history where such a beloved and iconic character was dealt such an ignominious defeat.

Spidey didn't die saving the world, or a loved one. He didn't even manage to rid the world of the menace that took his place in the process, he got completely outplayed and humiliated by doc ock.

That was ok though right? spidey'll be back, his conciousness is still downloaded somewhere so there's a chance for redemption right? nope doc ock dan slott destroys that too, but spiderman still asserts himself in a final battle for dominance of the mind of peter parker and you'd think we'd be treated to an epic battle, but....

Doc ock completely overpowers him again and spidey is reduced to a snivelling crybaby before doc ock erases him forever.

Dan slott replaced our friendly neighborhood spiderman with a villain that has no heroic qualities at all. A villain that does "good" not to save innocents or redeem himself, but to prove to himself that he can do a better job.

"Superior Spider-man" doesn't qualify as an anti-hero, he doesn't do bad things for the greater good, he's just an asshole with delusions of grandeur that took over a real hero's body.

Well said sir

#29 Edited by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

I am pretty unhappy with how things have turned out. Reading through this thread, I believe Spider Man fans have every right to be upset -- from the potential death of the little girl, to the "final" battle, to now -- some sick, old man getting a second chance at life in the body of a younger, stronger man. It's actually a very sick and twisted premise.

#30 Posted by Cr4pSnip3r (302 posts) - - Show Bio

I find Superior Spider-Man (the concept, I haven't read it) to be creepier than anything else.

Also, Peter Parker is Spider-Man.

#31 Posted by TDK_1997 (14486 posts) - - Show Bio

The story had some potential but it should have never been permanent.It should have been a small amount of time thing where this will be for a couple of issues,an arc or two but not permanent like the way it is right now because Slott is totally destroying the Spider-Man mythos with every issue more and more.

#32 Edited by God_Spawn (37386 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't have minded this story in perhaps a decent lengthed story arc, not an entire on-going. To me, it was just a step backwards. I take a look at some other Spider titles and see how Peter Parker impacted some characters to take up a mantle and BETTER themselves, like Flash and Kaine have as Venom and Scarlet Spider respectively. Ock is now the legit Spider-Man, but like what was already said, he isn't doing this to better himself, he's doing it to just outdo "himself". And when you speak of those two, Venom and Kaine are willing to cross lines Parker wouldn't have. It just seems what separated them at first seems to have diminished because of Superior Spider-Man. I'm not saying they are the same characters in personalities, because they are quite different. I'm just saying we had 2 different Spider-Man books. Now, we don't even have the original Spider-Man to begin with.

#33 Edited by Akindoodle (983 posts) - - Show Bio

@thanosismad: The villain taking over as Batman was already kinda done with Hush being Bruce Wayne, wasn't it?

@the OP

I don't read SSM so I have no real opinion but like Scarlotte said, if I were a HUGE fan of Spider-Man, I'd be HUGELY offended at the way Peter died. And even as a moderate Spider fan, I am. I can't believe they couldn't come up with a better way to continue this body swap without completely killing off Peter. It's not as if it was absolutely necessary to kill him to get him out of his body. It's comics, I'm sure there's some weird science to explain how to get his soul out of his body and hold it in a suspended state or something. Now there's going to have to be some stupid, contrived return from the dead story line in the near future