My Oldest Comics (aka My Dad is Awesome)

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

This was originally going to be a List, but Lists annoy me, and I could use the Chaste Monk points, so I'm making it a blog :)

When I was younger, my dad used to go away on business, and now and then he'd bring me back a comic or something. These are the comics that he bought me, and they, naturally, hold a very special place in my heart. I was about six when I got these, so I didn't understand most of the stories because of the serialized format, and I didn't have the internet; so I couldn't research anything. Despite all that, they were still awesome ^_^ These are five comics that really stick out in my mind. I think there were others, but I don't really remember them.

1. Avengers Heroes Reborn #11; My first introduction to the Avengers, and my ideal vision of the team (Cap, Iron Man, Hank, Thor, Wanda, Wasp and Hawkeye, though Clint isn't on the cover). I still have no idea why there are two Thors running around, but this issue was pretty awesome. Loki grew really tall for some reason and then Odin showed up to kick his ***. But who cares about that? LOOK AT HANK PYM'S ARMOR! Is that not the greatest thing ever? If someone named Ant-Man walked up to you wearing that, you wouldn't be giving them crap, you'd be surrendering before he plasma cannoned you into oblivion. So yeh, I've always loved Hank. 
    No Caption Provided
  2. Captain America Vol. 3 #5; My dad is a big Captain America fan. He used to watch the old Marvel shows on during the 60s, and his favourites were Iron Man, Thor and Cap. So it's no wonder he used to bring me back Cap and Avengers issues. Anyway, in this one, there's some shape shifting HYDRA guy who turned out to be a Skrull,  He had red hair and an earring, because it was the 90s and everyone had an earring. Thor in an action pose on the front is a bit of a rip off though, as he and Cap just sit in a cafe and have coffee, but it's still a fun issue, even if it did end with Steve getting owned and the HYDRA guy impersonating him.
    No Caption Provided
  3. X-Men Vol. 2 #25; Fatal Attractions Part 4. Yes, I own the issue where Magneto (back when he was cool), ripped the Adamantium from Logan's bones and then was mindraped by Professor X. That may be my favourite sentence I've ever written about the X-Men. Back in the 90s, when most stuff sucked, the X-Men were still awesome. Hell, they've always been great, providing you stop reading at #500, but there was something about the 90s team that really kicked ***. Their costumes were great, the cast was at its best, and every issue felt epic. But in terms of epicness, none beat this one. I may not have known who that steel guy holding Magneto's lifeless body was at the time, but it turned out that I was looking at the image of one of my favourite characters of all, Colossus. Wolverine, back when he wasn't everywhere, lay there devastated, Professor X, when he was still written well, had just gone up 4 million places in the badass rankings; everything about this issue was just amazing. As I said, I may not have understood a lot of the things happening, but it still remains one of the key moments of my comic reading life. Also, the issue came with a Gambit glowy card thing, so that was pretty cool.
    No Caption Provided
  4. Colossus #1; Yep, I still had no idea who the big steel lug was, but who cares? He was awesome. He and Meggan, a character I still know next-to-nothing about, are in Paris looking like the two prettiest people who've ever lived, when they're kidnapped by an agent of Arcade. I hated Arcade then, and I hate Arcade now. All in all, this was the weakest of the old comics, but it was still pretty enjoyable. The art was cheesecake and fun, the story was light, and Piotr was shown (to me) to be a great member of the X-Men. This issue probably built in my later love for Colossus. 
    No Caption Provided

5. Shadow of the Bat #49; Angel of Death. Remember how I said that my dad loved the Avengers? Well, there's only one character he likes more, and that's Batman. Yep, he's that cool. Anyway, in this issue, Gotham is being attacked by a deadly virus (this is part of the epic Contagion event, which I would later buy in trade form) and Poison Ivy is trying to sell her immunity to the elite of Gotham. The whole issue is narrated by a plague victim who's vying for Ivy's antidote. But this issue is awesome for several reasons, one; the art is great. Two; HUNTRESS, DICK GRAYSON, TIM DRAKE AND THE BATMAN are all in this issue. Tim gets infected too, making #49 extra important to the overall arc. I may not have known why there was some new Robin, or who the chick named Huntress that dressed like a weird Batgirl was, all I knew was that they were epic. But at the end of the day, this is Batman's book, and though it focused largely on Gotham, Batman is still the thing that stood out to me the most. I must have read this comic, which ends with Ivy fleeing (after everyone realises she's full of it) and the narrator dying, more than 50 times when I was younger. I bought the trade specifically to read the resolution of this issue. The arc as a whole had some weak points (anything involving Azrael sucked), but because of how great this issue was, and what it means to me; Batman: Contagion will always remain one of my favourite comic stories ever.
    No Caption Provided

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mercy_

This is freaking awesome. :D

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Green Skin

Lol, reading this makes me feel very very old.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@The Dark Huntress:  ^_^

@Green Skin:
Haha, sorry, mate.
rogue_mar1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By rogue_mar1e

Nice :D

Your dad sure is awesome haha
KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KRYPTON

Looks 80's through 90's

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@KRYPTON : They're all around '98
Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By hydrabob--defunct

so, I just looked over the covers (too lazy to read it all, sorry) and these don't look that old

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@hydrabob: I'm only 19! I got them when I was about six, of course they're not that old :)
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hydrabob--defunct
@FadeToBlackBolt: Oh, 19 huh? I remember being like it was yesterday....

but still there have be older books at your comic store than that?
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123

Cool :D

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@hydrabob: Yeah, but these are the ones that I've had the longest.
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FadeToBlackBolt: ok, I gotcha sentimental value kinda stuff
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@hydrabob: Yeah, that's it :)
Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By Hawkeye446

Cool, Nice Avengers line up, Basically my favourite (except replace Iron Man for She-Hulk or Jocasta.)

I had no idea colossus had his own comic >.> and featuring Meggan (from Excalibur), very cool. 
You have a good dad I see, especially considering he got a 6 year old the X-Men issue where wolverine is brutally owned..
Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#15  Edited By Dracade102

I have that same issue of X-men with Magneto on the cover... I feel special.

logan48227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By logan48227

I just came here to read this after Babs gave you props for the blog & all of your other contributions. Great post!

I feel special for having both the X-Men issue & the Cap one, yet old because I was an adult when your dad was buying books for you........

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By zombietag

haha that is funny. 90s comics dont seem that old when i think about when i read reprints of the original origin stories of spider-man, iron man, etc.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By moywar700

didn't know colussus had his own series

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By PowerHerc

Cool Dad you got there!

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By lykopis

Awww --- another story that has me melting. Very sweet and how lucky are you to have a dad like that.

And Arcade STILL sucks -- don't even look at an Avengers Arena book. You'll lose brain cells just reading the title itself. It's "Hopeless".... get it? **pulls herself off of stage**