#1 Posted by Djangophile (285 posts) - - Show Bio

English is difficult for me to type, so please be understanding.

Something has been lost to the world in regards to what the character of Superman is supposed to be. Truth, Justice, All things good and hopeful. I feel these qualities sorely missing from the new movie, even though Kal himself says the symbol represents Hope. Does anyone want to see Hope invoked through a character who is never smiling, never "I can do this, no problem" but instead always serious, very depressed and stressed out? This quality to the direction did not make any sense to me. Upsetting is the word I would like to use.

I have no problems with Man of Steel for a movie standpoint, the direction was fantastic and awesome. Brilliant even. Art direction was phenominal and amazing. However, I feel like it was direct by a genius director with Attention Defecit Disorder, or someone who have never heard of the word "linear" or "smooth story telling". This movie is immensely choppy and refuses to stand still and let me enjoy one thing at a time. It shoots from place to place, era to era and then suddenly appears here or there. It is unfitting to this type of action oriented movie, as the tone of the movie shifted from polite and emotional in the beginning to something action packed. But, there was so much happening, you cant focus or appreciate what you just saw.

Kidder and Reeve had some of the best on screen chemistry of all time, when I watch Superman 1 and see them acting together, Kidder seems to get lost in his eyes and fall into his spell. She is lost and dazed, clearly in love and awe struct by him. With the little bit of screen time for Lois by Amy in this movie, we get none of this. She is an awful Lois. Actually...she is not Lois at all to me. She is Amy Adams, playing Amy Adams under the name of Lois the character. I disliked her very much, hard for me because I like Amy adams a lot :) But, 0 chemistry. Nothing between them. She does not seem hypnotized by him or what someone who is shocked by someone else looks like. She didn't try hard.

Kal El is closer to Golden Age in presentation of physical qualities, he struggles to do very simple things and should be doing them with a smile, without a sweat and easily done. Wave to everyone and leave. Instead, he cries, whines and shows massive signs of Stress while doing everything. Where is Superman here? I don't see him. The age of Reality Tv is dead, the Emo world is fading, so why make Superman this way? Nobody enjoyed Thor or the Amazing Spiderman very much and instead most of the world wants to see things like the Avengers, more like the comics. True to them, not a new way, not a new version. Not sad or depressing. Superman is to inspire hope and good things, not stress and depression. He is superman. He is not supposed to show those qualities as Superman, only as Clark. Once those glasses come off, he is SUPERMAN. No time to whine or be sad. But Henry did. I hated this quality.

This is just my gripes, I hated the soundtrack because it is just background music. It is not a themed ost like this type of movie should be. If a new indiana jones or star wars comes out, when darth vader appears on screen he should have a music cue for him, something to regard with that character. Hanz doesnt understand this concept and instead just plays randomized music over what ever is happening. I hated it. But, from a music standpoint it was beautiful. I will never use anything as my ringtone from this movie. My kids in 30 years will never play this OST on their speakers or music player. I just cant see that happening. Nothing synonomous to the characters to remember.

I realize this is a negative review, but from a cinema standpoint Man of Steel was incredible visually. The story was too choppy though and the OST was bad IMO. I would prefer a less dark and gritty approach to Superman. I do not want to relate to superman. He is one of few characters nobody should relate to. You dream about being him, aspire to be unrealistic in your life like he does, to deal with anything with out signs of stress, to be the best at all things like him, not to stress out at all times. I daydream about Superman and being him, I will never daydream to relate and be like Henrys Superman. He is of the last age of the world, that reality tv generation that needs everything to be hyper realistic. Avengers ignored this aspect and was a better movie all around than Man of Steel, although not as beautifully made or artistic. It was true to the comics, more so anyway. I rate man of Steel as an 7/10 movie, not as good as Superman 1, not as good as The Dark Knight, but better than Dark Knight Rises and anything else prior that was super hero related. Just my impressions, they could change in years to come.

#2 Edited by Herokiller12344 (1046 posts) - - Show Bio

That's nice honey

#3 Posted by bigtewell (857 posts) - - Show Bio

I read all the way up tIl no one lIked amazing spiderman and thor. i enjoyed both so this review is bad.

#4 Posted by Sky_Pirate2 (73 posts) - - Show Bio

I read all the way up tIl no one lIked amazing spiderman and thor. i enjoyed both so this review is bad.

Same here.

#5 Edited by SavageDragon (2257 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting points. My only concern with what you say is

ee him. The age of Reality Tv is dead, the Emo world is fading, so why make Superman this way? Nobody enjoyed Thor or the Amazing Spiderman very much and instead most of the world wants to see things like the Avengers, more like the comics

Todays Comics are pretty adult. Even most mainstream super hero books deal with heavy themes and are pretty dark and violent. And look at the Nolan films do, they are hugely successful so their is obviously a market for them. DKR made over a billion worldwide.

#6 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6472 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody enjoyed Thor or the Amazing Spiderman very much and instead most of the world wants to see things like the Avengers, more like the comics. True to them, not a new way, not a new version.

Don't speak for everybody. I enjoyed Thor and Amazing Spiderman.

#7 Edited by TheBigRedCheese (383 posts) - - Show Bio

Potential Spoilers Ahead!

I agree that the movie was a bit choppy at first and I also wasn't a huge fan of the portrayal of Superman. I understand him being a bit emotional when he was young. The movie showed us a young Clark struggling with his powers, but he managed to get through it. I didn't like that so many people knew what Clark is capable of. I felt Jor-El and General Zod made the movie. I was more interested in those two characters than I was with Superman.

#8 Edited by P0rtal (916 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated Thor and Spiderman 10x more. Just because todays comics are a certain way does not mean that the movies should be to. The age of movies today is no longer endorsing the EMO society, nor are most people interested in true realism. I want the age of grittiness to die already, stop making my super heroes human!!! I want them super. Better than everyone, something to look up to instead of saying "yep, superman is just like my neighbor but with a cape".

hardly anyone liked Spiderman or Thor. Both movies had awful soundtracks, were miscast for the most part, poorly directed, poorly written, bad CGI, ect ect. To each his own about liking those movies, but serious...haha @ anyone seriously enjoying those flicks LOL. God awful movies. Speaking for the majority is more than acceptable, but I wouldn't say EVERYONE hated it. The movies were just terrible, but some people like eating glass dipped in poop...who are we to judge?

#9 Edited by Djangophile (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks so much, Sweetie pie.

That's nice honey

Your post is equally as bad as mine then for not having the ability to read past what you might not enjoy. Closed Mind.

I said English is not my native, and to be understanding. Perhaps the wrong thing to say, but it was clear what I was saying. You ignored it. I meant, clearly, for the most part that the majority did not enjoy those film. Many bad reviews, just because you enjoy it doesn't mean the movie was not bad. Your opinion is just that, an opinion. I am sorry I had to explain it to you when I thought it was obvious what I was trying to say. I Apologize for the wrong words.

@djangophile said:

Nobody enjoyed Thor or the Amazing Spiderman very much and instead most of the world wants to see things like the Avengers, more like the comics. True to them, not a new way, not a new version.

Don't speak for everybody. I enjoyed Thor and Amazing Spiderman.

#10 Edited by P0rtal (916 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do you keep apologizing for another users idiocy or inability to understand something so simple? Gosh....I am not the brightest bulb on the street corner and even I realized what he was trying to say. Those two users just are butthurt by Man of Steel scoring a whopping 57% down from yesterday on rottontomatoes, read the review with a biased minds eye and didnt borther to read the post in full, yet think they are somehow going to be taken serious for their bias and inability to read a few paragraphs or that anyone at all could care about them saying ' derpp, your post was bad derppp, I didnt even read it, but its bad derppp"

seriously you two, grow up. The review was solid. Lets see you write in another language? Oh you can't? The hush up. Thor and Spiderman SUCKED, and for the most part the majority of the world agreed. DVD and bluray sales are still in the red, their soundtracks never sold more than a few thousand copies, they are not revered or regarded for anything at all with the academy nor did either win or be nomiated. So everything said was justified, your entire posts were unjustified for being so biased and being nieve enough to think anyone cares if you think someone elses post is bad...especially after not giving it the time of day. By the way guys, I hope 3rd grade turns out great for both of you because thats how you seem to act. Grow up, learn to respect others. Read the posts first at least before bashing lol. Kids these days...ugh.

#11 Posted by Djangophile (285 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not care that someone else thinks my views are bad. I do care about those who do not wish to read or appreciate honesty, or that they do not read it in full and make fun of my view. But, then turn around and analyzes it in a negative fashion. That upsets me. Very lazy to me, very childish. And yes Thor and Amazing Spiderman were bad movies, the majority of the earth did not like it just look at the dvd home sales, they are horrible. And too that comics are gritty and dark but this does not mean the movies should be as well. Batman is not fair example to use because he has been dark through the comic ages. Kids don't know better, most of the world does not read the comics that are made into movies. So, how is this a fair example? Batman should be dark, Superman should not be. That is just my opinion. Superman being sad and pathetic is equally sad and pathetic, he is not Superman anymore. He is "whinerman" or "stressed out man who cant handle the situation".

#12 Posted by Decoy Elite (30160 posts) - - Show Bio

I respectfully disagree with you on the entire "I don't want to relate to Superman" thing.
Superman is at his core a very human, hopeful, relatable character in my eyes. And while I have some similar gripes about the film, such as how it seems to go into flashbacks a bit too often making everything feel a bit choppy, I don't feel that this movie is really that devoid of hope or that Clark being portrayed as a very human character who clearly struggles with his obstacles hurts the portrayal of the character.

That said my favorite portrayals of character have always been the bits where he struggles with powerful issues so my personal bias may be shining through here.

#13 Posted by LimpoyzLoan (1692 posts) - - Show Bio

The OST was bad?! HANS ZIMMER MAKES NO MISTAKES!!

But yeah, I disagree with this review.

#14 Edited by blkson (788 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice review, I still haven't seen it yet but I'm gonna. Most folk say its not all of that, I guess I'll see.

#15 Posted by bigtewell (857 posts) - - Show Bio

@p0rtal: um read are posts we didnt like his review bc he said everyone hated thor n spiderman not bc he said mos was bad which was accurate. we just didnt like his assumption that people hated movies that had decent reviews

#17 Edited by Herokiller12344 (1046 posts) - - Show Bio

@djangophile: Oh don't flatter yourself, I was just bumping your thread since I was practically the only living thing that had seen it when that comment was made.

You're welcome.