My Journey Away From Superhero Comics

• 115 results
blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Some of the comments were hilarious -- almost as if Mat offended them by no longer being as interested in superhero comics as he once was.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@battheman008 said:

@billy_batson:

No. Watchmen is the only graphic novel to make the list of 1001 books to read before you die. Which there by not only makes it the best graphic novels ever, it makes it one of the best books ever, period.

Well that's just some great logic there.

BB

Good thing there are lists. That way we don't have to waste time thinking for ourselves. Crap, I have buttons to push, gotta go.

CrashBang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there's one comic book which is far removed from superheroes, horror or any kind of action and which I cannot recommend enough, it's Blankets by Craig Thompson. What an outstanding piece of work that book is.

DoomGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Most of the comics I read are "independent" titles. Hellboy needs to get mentioned as my favorite "on-going" series. I'll probably always follow my favorite super-hero characters and titles though especially Wolverine who I'll always collect.

As far as I'm concerned nothing, including Y the Last Man, has even come close to surpassing the superhero epic that is Watchmen.

Everyone has different opinions and while Billy feels the need to tell you that you are somehow wrong in this belief I'd like to say I also believe Watchmen is the best story from a comic. It's the only thing that I would compare to other great pieces of literature in history.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishx said:

Most of the comics I read are "independent" titles. Hellboy needs to get mentioned as my favorite "on-going" series. I'll probably always follow my favorite super-hero characters and titles though especially Wolverine who I'll always collect.

@nappystr8 said:

As far as I'm concerned nothing, including Y the Last Man, has even come close to surpassing the superhero epic that is Watchmen.

Everyone has different opinions and while Billy feels the need to tell you that you are somehow wrong in this belief I'd like to say I also believe Watchmen is the best story from a comic. It's the only thing that I would compare to other great pieces of literature in history.

Watchmen the best story from a comic? I highly doubt that.

ComicBookCoby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I'm feeling the same thing coming on. I'm only 27, and I just started to get back into comicbooks, but I'm already slowly transitioning to other titles like The Walking Dead and Saga. I think that'll be the majority of my reading in a couple of years.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

To me a comicbook must contain something fantastical that fuels the imagination. To read comics that contain day-to-day life are of little use to me or anything of a similar vein, they appear stale in comparison to super-heroes/villains, cosmic titles, etc.

BattheMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Say what you will, but nothing is better than Watchmen.

BattheMan

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110  Edited By Nahero

Spot On Man, Spot On, he makes a lovely point. Despite my love for the timeless Marvel an Dc and their never ending sagas. Its the series of stories from independent companies that have these stories that are completely new and original, and enjoyable. example, Darkhorse and Oni press, IDW lots of enjoyable and fresh works and they always deliver.

SpeedyMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" I need something I can relate to a bit more." ...... that's when I left because getting tired of "relatable" crap.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Great article. I think it really comes down to good writing, though. A superhero book that becomes predictable and doesn't give you that same value is a superhero book that has gotten lazy. Some of the best capes comics are the ones that explore more than just good guys punching bad guys. Animal Man is looking at Buddy as a father and a person. Hawkeye is dealing with his personal and home life while he's out fighting crime. Invincible is very standard superhero fare, but it's also exploring motivations and repercussions for everything Mark does.

Superhero books don't get boring or repetitive because they're about superheros. They get boring if they have bad writers.

Agree with this entirely!!!

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I have a lot of respect towards Mat which is why I won't judge his opinion . I still have a lot of love for Marvel and DC but I'm loving the stuff that Image and Valiant are pulling out

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the fascination with Watchmen?

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#116  Edited By Wilbertus

As a European, I grew up reading European (non-superhero) comics. Mostly Tintin and that sort of stuff. However, as I got older and started to be able to read English I fell in love with superhero comics, so I guess I am going sort of the opposite way.

Also, Y: The Last Man is truly amazing. I enjoyed every single issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-6030f931768b5
deactivated-6030f931768b5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

I'm 26 years old and I couldn't agree more with this article, it's almost like I wrote it myself.

Avatar image for negativecreep94
Negativecreep94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I tend to mix it up alittle. I agree that sometimes a non-super hero story is a breath of fresh air, (for me at least) But i have always found them interesting,

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#119  Edited By redhood21

as ive gotten older i havnt really moved away from super heroes, but im certainly broadening my horizons in comics

hyenascar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Oh Mat 'inferioego' If I hadn't read your article I would have thought you told some of these people, at gunpoint, they had to leave superhero comics with you.

I have floated in and out several times just as you had for many of the same reasons. I have a largeassortment of the indie titles. (OK maybe not really indie, mostly Vertigo and Image) The one exception being the X-men which has been my soap opera, much I'm sure like wrestling is to you. The one thing that makes me want to stay away is that few times anything different does happen. Everyone freaks out. Characters change, just like people. Let it be a story. Don't try to control the story, just sit back and let the story be told. Being told a story is a passive event. If your trying to control the outcome of the story your missing the full ride of the story.

So in summation change happens. Indie(or indie-like) prints allow it without the upheaval.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I'll be reading superhero books forever. Personal preference, it's not an age thing or a look at me I read things you never heard of, how hip am I, sort of deal( No offensive or anything)

addikhabbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool! I mean, who cares?! (PS: COOL!)

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By JeanRalphio

And Mat continues to be my least favorite person on the site.

lol