• 148 results
Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Lol does this dude think he is going to be magically put in charge of all of the big comic companies and then delete their iconic characters?

markus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

@markus123: dude, i am going to repeat to you what i said a few months ago to you: you are being too overtly optimistic on a suicidal strategy that requires their fanbases to be loyal to the company, not to the products. you haven't proved anything to allay the concerns of people here and you are being blindly stupid that it will work. they have been doing this for so long that your idea is nothing new to them

you will see ?! don't make me laugh.

I know because this "feeling" is a similar thing that happened to great inventors and pioneers when people mocks them thinking this idea will never work and i understand that eventhough my idea is mocked because its not ready for this era but in futuretime especially when i gain success i can use my idea to both comic book companies so that they will " end this type current reboot and retcon event crossovers " (the thing they did in crisis on infinite earths,infinite crisis,flashpoint and now marvel's the secret wars including Dc's convergence) and start all over again with a clean slate.

Lol does this dude think he is going to be magically put in charge of all of the big comic companies and then delete their iconic characters?

Actullay i don't want to be in charge of both companies and i would rather convince them to use it and revolutionize the american superhero comic book industry as we know it in future time.

TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

@markus123: dude, i am going to repeat to you what i said a few months ago to you: you are being too overtly optimistic on a suicidal strategy that requires their fanbases to be loyal to the company, not to the products. you haven't proved anything to allay the concerns of people here and you are being blindly stupid that it will work. they have been doing this for so long that your idea is nothing new to them

you will see ?! don't make me laugh.

I know because this "feeling" is a similar thing that happened to great inventors and pioneers when people mocks them thinking this idea will never work and i understand that eventhough my idea is mocked because its not ready for this era but in futuretime especially when i gain success i can use my idea to both comic book companies so that they will " end this type current reboot and retcon event crossovers " (the thing they did in crisis on infinite earths,infinite crisis,flashpoint and now marvel's the secret wars including Dc's convergence) and start all over again with a clean slate.

@thenaughtytitan said:

Actullay i don't want to be in charge of both companies and i would rather convince them to use it and revolutionize the american superhero comic book industry as we know it in future time.

Bro just stop, your sales pitch is not working and your entire idea is unoriginal. So basically you want new characters, that has been done in multiple other companies and marvel and dc are still making new characters. So do you want to kill there only source of revenue dc/marvel is getting by essentially killing the characters everyone knows and loves.

Story telling is not consistent enough in the comic industry, they need nostalgia, they need the characters we all know and love. Sorry to crush your terribly thought out dreams but it would never work. Do you seriously think you will convince multiple completely different comic companies to go in the same direction?

What would happen if your poorly thought out "dream" ever came true would be catastrophic, literally all comic fans would revolt and they would lose 90% of their sales if the essentially deleted their universes we all know and love.

Why do you think companies like marvel and dc are on top in the comic industry? It is because of the characters we all know and all love, we pay money for the nostalgia, story telling cannot sell comics as well as our love for these characters.

People revolted when DC rebooted with the same characters, think what would happen if companies like marvel and dc got rid of those characters. I know you think this is a good idea but it will never work. You will never convince anyone of this, you will never have the chance to. Your idea would never work, it simply is a terrible idea.

Sorry but I have to be honest......

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By kyrees

@markus123 said:

no, dude, don't delude yourself as one of those guys who invented great stuff in the long run because for one thing, those inventors didn't even kill nostalgic stuff in the quest for progress, they invented their stuff out of nowhere and out of necessity and your idea isn't a new one regardless of era we are in. it's been done so many times throughout the history of man and one thing is for sure, if it ain't useful to anyone or the company, the company might as well bury themselves for doing such a suicidal move.

you gain success big enough to rival marvel and dc and hope they copy your success plan ?! get off you high horse. you might as well use up 2 lifetimes before your comic company or your idea gains a slight traction on dc and marvel especially if the comic industry can't even bank on diehard comic fans to save them.

stop being deluded.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

#105  Edited By Guru_Crack

No DC would never get rd of batman (I know he'd be back with as slightly different take but never happening.) Same with marvel for Spider-Man ect...

markus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By markus123

@kyrees said:

@markus123 said:

no, dude, don't delude yourself as one of those guys who invented great stuff in the long run because for one thing, those inventors didn't even kill nostalgic stuff in the quest for progress, they invented their stuff out of nowhere and out of necessity and your idea isn't a new one regardless of era we are in. it's been done so many times throughout the history of man and one thing is for sure, if it ain't useful to anyone or the company, the company might as well bury themselves for doing such a suicidal move.

you gain success big enough to rival marvel and dc and hope they copy your success plan ?! get off you high horse. you might as well use up 2 lifetimes before your comic company or your idea gains a slight traction on dc and marvel especially if the comic industry can't even bank on diehard comic fans to save them.

stop being deluded.

Sigh if you don't believe my idea then fine. and also you say my idea isn't a new one i see but believe me it will be different than the other retcon/reboot event ideas it will also bring closure and start with a clean slate with new heroes new identities and new history and the reason you don't want this idea is because you are cowards,you aren't ready for it and you might think it will end both companies because of it believe me it will work you will see.

No DC would never get rd of batman (I know he'd be back with as slightly different take but never happening.) Same with marvel for Spider-Man ect...

True but when my idea is used there will always be a batman but not the batman bruce you know its the new universe one with new identity and a different origin but follows the spirit of its predecessor.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markus123: Yea you said so he'd be the same with a different name but alot of people won't except that. Then people top heroes lists will be 35 different batmen haha

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's a bad idea. Do you really think that these companies can afford to print comics that won't sell for a year or two? I mean they can *afford* it, but at a significant loss. DC not printing Batman for a year will cost them too much green.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By kyrees

@markus123:

we are not cowards, people here are realists and you being an idealistic knuckle head can't see the bigger picture. you have not addressed the concerns of the people reacting to your suicidal plan and you expect everyone to leap in to the fire with you and you have the balls to call us cowards ? hypocrisy calls, young one.

this is the real world where this idea of yours has claimed numerous companies throughout history. you are not telling us something new. spare us the talk of being the prophet to lead to the new world when this kind of talk is similar to people with delusion of grandeur.

markus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markus123: Yea you said so he'd be the same with a different name but alot of people won't except that. Then people top heroes lists will be 35 different batmen haha

Exactly, if my idea is used in both companies then there will be different variety of batmen in the future for example for the next dc universe for new and old readers another batman will used except with a different identity and a different origin but will have the spirit of the characters the original batman from the previous universe and previous reboots however if there is another batman type in a different comic book company not in Dc comics then he is not batman. That’s how my idea works.

@greatcaesarsghost said:

It's a bad idea. Do you really think that these companies can afford to print comics that won't sell for a year or two? I mean they can *afford* it, but at a significant loss. DC not printing Batman for a year will cost them too much green.

Believe me it will work, Tokusatsu used by toei especially the part with miles morale from marvel and terry McGuiness from Dc entertainment type inspired me that i can use it to change the american comic book industry as you know it by giving closure to all the ‘Timeless’ old superhero characters and move on to a new universe with different superheroes and villains with a new origin to new and old readers alike then few years later start the process all over again.

If there is flaw like people don’t like one in the new universe line cancel and replace with new one and if they don’t like all of them cancel the line in the 2nd year and replace with new ones.

That’s how it works

@kyrees said:

@markus123:

we are not cowards, people here are realists and you being an idealistic knuckle head can't see the bigger picture. you have not addressed the concerns of the people reacting to your suicidal plan and you expect everyone to leap in to the fire with you and you have the balls to call us cowards ? hypocrisy calls, young one.

this is the real world where this idea of yours has claimed numerous companies throughout history. you are not telling us something new. spare us the talk of being the prophet to lead to the new world when this kind of talk is similar to people with delusion of grandeur.

Since you do not believe my idea fine i am not talking to you anyway or any one who doesn’t like it .

I mean i am tired of reboot and retcons events to the comic book universe companies without giving closure to long running characters they need an ending and start a new like dc did to flash and green lantern in the 50s this method could be used to all superheroes so that we can start all over again with a new stories, new universe , new heroes and new villains to old and new readers alike,

And if you love the timeless old superheroes you love then read some anthology books starring the old heroes with one difference no continuity it will be like the Adventures of superman (anthology vol 2 digital) and legend of the dark knight

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markus123: it doesn't matter what you think on reboot and retcons when the bigger picture shows how much dc and marvel will burn down if they finally kill their main cash cows. you still haven't acknowledge the concerns of people here and you expect everyone to jump into the fire for reasons nearly equal to suicide in business.

don't rehash arguments that have been argued to death here and reusing those to reinvigorate your flawed points that has been shot down earlier. saying the same thing over and over again never made it correct.

6 months and nobody else has argued for the pros of this idea except you. it tells me much how much delusional you are on your idea and how you don't want to accept and work around its criticism. you just want people to blindly accept this.

don't want to talk to me ? fine by me but you are the only person here who's wackjob enough to revive this thread to force this idea to everyone's throats.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markus123: Yea like I said know how your idea works. I just don't see it being practical. You'd rather confuse people (granted not right away) But people would ask who is your favourite superhero they'd go Batman you'd have to say which one. Personally I don't see it ever catching on.

Avatar image for theamazingbatman760
TheAmazingBatman760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a really stupid idea.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Just a couple of quick questions for you, Markus.

Firstly, are you a troll? Secondly; no, really, are you a troll?

Thirdly, if you're not a troll (but are you? really?) then can is suggest reading Grant Morrison's, SUPERGODS book? It's a fantastic read and if you haven;t had the chance to have a look at it yet, it might change your views on how superhero comics and the icons associated with it really work and how they are seen and consumed by the public.

Apart from that, i wish you luck in your plans for world domination and, before i go, i just wanted to ask one more thing...

Are you sure you're not a troll? 0_0

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This would be the event to get me out of comics for good.

comicawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your Idea is stupid. and you are a moron If you think it will work

markus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By markus123

@guru_crack said:

@markus123: Yea like I said know how your idea works. I just don't see it being practical. You'd rather confuse people (granted not right away) But people would ask who is your favourite superhero they'd go Batman you'd have to say which one. Personally I don't see it ever catching on.

You may be right i made it so confusing that's people don't like it at least you liked it i think i just hope people like it when i turn my idea into a reality that way new and old readers will like it maybe i could simplifyit for a bit so they will understand.

@kyrees said:

@markus123: it doesn't matter what you think on reboot and retcons when the bigger picture shows how much dc and marvel will burn down if they finally kill their main cash cows. you still haven't acknowledge the concerns of people here and you expect everyone to jump into the fire for reasons nearly equal to suicide in business.

don't rehash arguments that have been argued to death here and reusing those to reinvigorate your flawed points that has been shot down earlier. saying the same thing over and over again never made it correct.

6 months and nobody else has argued for the pros of this idea except you. it tells me much how much delusional you are on your idea and how you don't want to accept and work around its criticism. you just want people to blindly accept this.

don't want to talk to me ? fine by me but you are the only person here who's wackjob enough to revive this thread to force this idea to everyone's throats.

I am not going to kill them i am going give them a closure whether it is a happy ending or a bittersweet ending the point is this 'whole big saga' needs a ending in stead of giving a retcon and reboot with too much burden of 'canon' and i am going to make it a reality whether you people like it or not and after i give them a ending i am going to start new with a new universe and new stories for new and old readers alike plus creator owned comics are much better than shared long running hero comics even though they inspire people to make them.

@feebadger said:

Just a couple of quick questions for you, Markus.

Firstly, are you a troll? Secondly; no, really, are you a troll?

Thirdly, if you're not a troll (but are you? really?) then can is suggest reading Grant Morrison's, SUPERGODS book? It's a fantastic read and if you haven;t had the chance to have a look at it yet, it might change your views on how superhero comics and the icons associated with it really work and how they are seen and consumed by the public.

Apart from that, i wish you luck in your plans for world domination and, before i go, i just wanted to ask one more thing...

Are you sure you're not a troll? 0_0

@comicawesome said:

Your Idea is stupid. and you are a moron If you think it will work

@theamazingbatman760 said:

This is a really stupid idea.

you know what i should stop talking for a while before you people think i am a useless blabbering idiot who makes everyone think its a bad idea and also i am not a troll i am a person trying to convince people that its a good idea but makes them its a bad one because of that i will talking for a while before it gets bad.One more thing feebadger i understand about the information about superheroes through various media the same thing as they explains them in all type of media but tokusatsu series from toei inspires me even the part with miles morale and the one with batman beyond that it inspires me to create an idea which will be the revolution of the american comic book industry

@transformers1024 said:

This would be the event to get me out of comics for good.

Hmmm that might be true and if it does people might focus on other hobbies which are good like reading a book watch something else or maybe find some other comic books mainly creator owned ones but don't worry my idea can also create new stories with new heroes with different origins and villains with different origins but will have the spirit of their previous predecessors and people old and new will like it trust me.

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Learn to use punctuation and less redundant wording before you suddenly rise to the top and become in charge of all american comics.

And possibly, finish highschool first too....

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markus123: I think the idea is confusing. Possibly have a roster of 4 heroes per character so batman would be Bruce Wayne, Scott Johnson, John Smith & Gerald baker) then leave it as those 4 guys. Then always give a set time for a reset.

comicawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Wait 6 months later and Markus still believes that his idea to end the DC and Marvel universes and create new heroes & villains for DC and Marvel is still a good idea?

markus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Learn to use punctuation and less redundant wording before you suddenly rise to the top and become in charge of all american comics.

And possibly, finish highschool first too....

Actually i graduated from high school because i got good grades in English,But whenever i write stories or letters i have to keep checking the paragraphs,grammar and spelling because i sometimes mess thing up which is why i keep on checking before i 'save' them and no i won't be in charge of both companies i rather be considered as a man who will revolutionize the system of the american superhero comic book system as you know it.

@markus123: I think the idea is confusing. Possibly have a roster of 4 heroes per character so batman would be Bruce Wayne, Scott Johnson, John Smith & Gerald baker) then leave it as those 4 guys. Then always give a set time for a reset.

In each universe yes and if my idea is used then first universe we read today is bruce wayne but in the future when my idea is used a new batman in a different universe will be used with a different origin and yes it might be 'Scott Johnson as you "give" his name then few years later we readers then focus on another batman names you said "john smith" and so on and so on and so on like that that's how my idea works.

And perhaps reuniting old and new heroes that i will do something for that in some special crossover special after my idea has revolutionized the american comic book industry

@lvenger said:

Wait 6 months later and Markus still believes that his idea to end the DC and Marvel universes and create new heroes & villains for DC and Marvel is still a good idea?

How about i won't saying my idea to you for a long time since you don't like it

@markus123: please stop talking...

Okay i won't

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markus123: Personally I would prefer different earths for different Batman's but they haven't got the fan base or confidence to do that.

comicawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By comicawesome

@markus123: you should. It has been explaned multible times to you how your idea will not work, but you still insist you are right.

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Instead of arguing with users online, why don't you just travel to the Marvel and/or DC offices and have the executives explain why you're wrong?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markus123: You do realise that it's just not me who disagrees with your idea right? Practically everyone, no everyone who's posted on this thread has said it's a bad idea. It's a rare thing when every post agrees with each other but your insane concept has accomplished just that. I don't know whether you're a troll, ridiculously ambitious or blindsided to your own shortcomings but this idea is not going to work.

Of course, you could just email DC and Marvel directly and explain this idea of yours right now. Maybe they'll explain what's wrong with it instead of shutting it down entirely. But I assure you out of all the wannabe comic writers on the Internet, you're hardly likely to get a job with DC or Marvel if this is your gameplan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

But why? They have creator owned comics. DC has Vertigo and Marvel has Icon. If you want something brand new read something front them.

Superheroes don't ever have to get stale, the writers just Ned to step up their game.

Still agree with what i said.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By kyrees

@markus123: no, kid, you are killing them. it has been explained to you as on how marvel and dc fans are not loyal to the company but to the products they give. you are being truly delusional and you are forcing your ideas to everyone's throat and hope everyone likes it.

now that you have shown your true goals, DC and marvel won't even bother to this idea at all if they have any sense of impending doom that will be wrought upon them by the fans

markus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markus123: Personally I would prefer different earths for different Batman's but they haven't got the fan base or confidence to do that.

So in other words it might take time if my idea is made into reality,i see but i'll see if that happens when its made into reality .

Instead of arguing with users online, why don't you just travel to the Marvel and/or DC offices and have the executives explain why you're wrong?

Okay maybe i will tell my ideas to them but only after my big break with my stories which might take time a long time

@lvenger said:

@markus123:

Of course, you could just email DC and Marvel directly and explain this idea of yours right now. Maybe they'll explain what's wrong with it instead of shutting it down entirely. But I assure you out of all the wannabe comic writers on the Internet, you're hardly likely to get a job with DC or Marvel if this is your gameplan.

Or maybe i could tell both of them at comic during its Q&A (just thinking) However if everyone at comicvine doesn't like my idea fine but i will make into reality i won't abandon tokusatsu inspired and iam goign to make reality and someday you will all change your minds one day.

@dagmar_merrill said:

But why? They have creator owned comics. DC has Vertigo and Marvel has Icon. If you want something brand new read something front them.

Superheroes don't ever have to get stale, the writers just Ned to step up their game.

Still agree with what i said.

Yeah but they keep on going and going and going with predictable familiar plots as if they don't want to end them well i will make understand ending will be okay especially starting new fro mscratch that will make new readers excited for more similar what toei tokusatsu did.

@kyrees said:

@markus123: no, kid, you are killing them. it has been explained to you as on how marvel and dc fans are not loyal to the company but to the products they give. you are being truly delusional and you are forcing your ideas to everyone's throat and hope everyone likes it.

now that you have shown your true goals, DC and marvel won't even bother to this idea at all if they have any sense of impending doom that will be wrought upon them by the fans

I give up go ahead call me a loon and delusional fool i don't care i will make it into reality and then you people will accept endings and new start. I mean why you people don't like my idea is it because it will destroy both companies, is it because no one interested in new ones just "old" with "new" features is that what they want even after we readers are gone many years later and lets new ones read them live a neverendingthing is that what you people want!?

TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is this thread still a here?

TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this guy still thinks he will somehow convince both companies to go the same exact route and essentially delete the thing that makes them money(iconic characters).

This "dream" is so childish and poorly thought out it hurts my head.

markus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you want to know why i never give up on the idea well the reason is because i am tired of "crisis" events which is all about rebooting the old universe and destroy old universe which contains "history" events and start all over again with the old characters no longer have the familiarity we know and love so that "new readers" will enjoy them,Well i am sick of it the only way to end this system is by having a 'real' final crisis event but with the 'old universes' survive and its history but its effect have given birth to a new system where it will have new universe with new heroes and villains with new stories enjoyable to both old and new readers alike believe me this idea will work besides toei tokustasu series gave me a idea for that.

And i know it will confuse you all like it did in the 70's but trust me it will work this time in the future.

And one more thing the company should understand that its not about the money its about telling the story about the things we "imagine" from a different universe" (think about it) and its time iconic characters need an ending and its also time that both fans and the comic book companies should learn to face their fears of ending their iconic characters stories besides preventing 'The end' never resolves anything embrace it its the only solution its not the end of our 'real' world you know .

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Lvenger

...Yeah he's definitely not understanding guys, just leave him be with his rather preposterous ideas. He can experience the problems with his idea first hand when he tries to pitch them to DC and Marvel.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By kyrees

@markus123: dude, giving up calling you a loon or anything else equal to that ain't much difference when people who actually know better than you don't do it at all. why should your idea any different than them ?

tell me, are you as delusional as a mental patient asylum or are you just so deluded that it would easily work as cooking eggs even in 3 to 10 lifetimes ?! tell me because specifically idiotically insisting something for everyone never made good for everyone. just look at world history at it for that matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is one of the meanest threads I have come across on this site, and that's saying something.

As for the OP's idea, there's no harm in trying. Good luck.

markus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

...Yeah he's definitely not understanding guys, just leave him be with his rather preposterous ideas. He can experience the problems with his idea first hand when he tries to pitch them to DC and Marvel.

That i will someday and when i do the comic book process of reboot crossover events you know will become history as i will use mine and give proper closure to the heroes you love popularity or not they need to have a closure .

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markus123: stop being delusional on your idea that will finally kill marvel and dc forever.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markus123: Good luck with that, try not to be too downhearted or depressed once the reality of your ideas is shown to you.

Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the most determined troll of all time...

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

This is one of the meanest threads I have come across on this site, and that's saying something.

As for the OP's idea, there's no harm in trying. Good luck.

you going to defend a guy that is hellbent on destroying marvel and dc for good ? because saying there's no harm on trying it is saying that the likes of starbucks, mcdonalds, and everyone company out there to remove all its current high selling products and replace it with new ones so that new customers will love their new products.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@force_echo said:

So... What DC has been doing?

So exactly what DC has been doing.

@markus123: I hate to burst your bubble, but this is not new or revolutionary- you're proposing they "have their cake and eat it too." You want a new universe, but based on the one you want them to end. That's exactly what DC has been doing, with Crisis, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, and now New 52. The reason they have to keep doing it is that it doesn't. work.

The original reboot from Golden Age to Silver Age was a different animal. DC had done away with their superheroes in favor of other material, but when they realized there were still people out there that would like to read them, they took the names only, and designed new characters around the names, starting what would become the DC Universe. Then older fans said, "I remember The Flash" (for example) "but he had a winged helmet. What happened to him?" So to satisfy those fans, they brought back the Golden Age versions of those characters, which eventually became the Earth 2 versions of the Silver Age Earth 1 characters. And that evolved (then devolved) into the mess that became Crisis, Zero Hour, etc.

Now, DC has tried that again with New 52, and the problem they're having is that a) some characters continuity carried over from pre-New 52 (Green Lantern and Batman) but was still slightly different (i.e. Tim Drake was never Robin, only Red Robin). Other characters were working on completely new history, but they still looked like they did the year before, which left everyone scratching their head, trying to understand how this was "total change."

DC rebooted in 1985 with Crisis, and every ten years since, because they keep trying to bring the characters "into the now." I don't know about you, but I don't get to reinvent myself every ten years. The pulp heroes you mentioned survive today because they never changed. They were made for a certain era, and we can still read the stories that had them in that era. Yes, there might be a modern updating here and there, but the old version is never denied, and not hidden away in out-of-print status in favor of the new version.

DC and Marvel want to keep making money on classic characters, but not have them remain classic characters. They want to keep the name and look, but rewrite their history. Well boo, hiss, that doesn't work. DC has been on the verge of their answer since the 1960's- sidekicks. The Teen Titans were originally nicknamed The Junior Justice League. In the 1980's, they grew up as The New Teen Titans, coming out of their mentors' shadows. But the mentors did not grow older- they stayed the same. So the grown up Titans would never take over their mentors' roles in the Justice League. So what now?

They created Young Justice- new sidekicks- and that worked great; they were very popular. So popular, that they had to come out of their mentors' shadows too (mentors who were still not getting any older). So they became the new Teen Titans, and the old Titans became The Outsiders, which is exactly what they had become. The YJ-Titans continued to grow in popularity, but would still never take over the Justice League. So we got a New 52 instead.

However, if DC had gone with generational continuity, that could have revolutionized their company, and given them multiple generations of characters to sell books and other merchandise from. If Superman had stayed at his starting point, in the 1930's, fought in World War II in the 40's, and had a Superman, Jr. in the 60's, he could have retired or died, and had Superman, Jr. take over. Superman, Jr. could have fought to the death with, say, Bizarro (because I hate Doomsday), and his clone could have taken over as a Superboy growing into Superman 3.

Batman too could have had a Batman, Jr., or retired for an adult Robin to take over, and seen a whole line of successors in each Robin. Hipolyta could have been the first Wonder Woman, followed by Diana, followed by the mystical twin Donna Troy, who could be succeeded by Cassie Sandsmark. Flash could have been Jay, Barry, Wally, then Bart.

If they had gone generational, instead of rebooting every ten years, DC could be selling you the classic reprints of Kal-El, and the slightly more modern tales of his successor, Clark Kent, Jr., and the modern tales of Connor Kent. Same with Bruce Wayne, BW Jr., Dick Grayson, etc., and all the other heroic lines of succession.

But no. We got New 52 instead, which for my taste, has Wonder Woman and Aquaman to show for itself. And that will get rebooted.

TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Op will forget about his "dream" once he hits the ripe old age of 10......

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@markus123: The characters I like wouldn't get rebooted, they barely get any comic time at all anymore, and never any as anything more then a flashback or character of a week. What you're suggesting would kill them off forever because let's face it Marvel wouldn't bring people like Songbird, Constrictor, MACH <Insert Number Here> and Diamondback over all the more popular characters. That said Marvel, DC and Image wouldn't do that, that would be like throwing all their money out the window along with all the money they will get in the future.

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees: Making mention of some of the mean spirited comments on here isn't defending the OP. Anyone can have an idea and anyone can want to share it. Clearly his idea is not a very popular one and criticising it is fair. Going about it while insulting him as a person is just unnecessary, in my opinion. Ridiculing him even more so.

I myself don't think what he proposes will fly only because that is a lot of investment to throw away in hopes of gathering a new fan base. No business would do that, except perhaps one that is losing the fan base it already has, which some people think is happening to some extent with comics. Again, I don't think that's a good idea but what I think and what another person thinks don't have to match up to have a civil conversation.

It's not the entire thread that went in that direction, but good portions of it has and that was what I felt was worth mentioning. I understand feeling the need to defend characters and a hobby that you enjoy (I am not speaking to you specifically, just generally and that includes myself), but the reaction of some users on here is a little overboard. My opinion.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: civility goes both ways and if one side doesn't have a concession to the other, you renege your right to it in the long run because there is nothing to expect on that side. additionally if all the arguments of the other side is pure idealogical rambling, not realistic counterbalancing, the argument devolves accordingly especially if a certain time period has passed to it.

the OP itself is to blame for this degeneration. people will just react to it naturally with the way he is defending his idea.

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees: Yeah, no. A person's reaction to another person's idea is on them. There is no reneging when it comes to civil discourse, even when disagreeing strongly with someone. If the response is one of ridicule, it's a reflection on the person doing the ridiculing which is obvious here. Like I said, my opinion. I haven't read anything on here from the OP that was insulting to anyone. The reverse can't be said of others.

The claim ridicule is a natural reaction to a genuinely expressed idea, preposterous or not, is one I reject. We don't need to agree.

markus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

not bad

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This guy's still one of the more determined trolls on here months after he's made this thread and had it explained to him countless times why it won't work. I suppose credit might be considered due for his perseverance, nothing else deserves praise to be sure.