Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

I like Frank Castle. When it comes to homicidal vigilantes he's my go to guy. However I believe he is far better suited for the MAX line and not the standard Marvel Universe. To me he is one of those characters that just works better in a world where superheroes are either absent or there are only a small handful. However I don't believe the Marvel Universe shouldn't be without a Punisher, and as such here's my take on a new Punisher idea that I believe COULD work.

Tony Russo is an NYPD officer in New York. His family is the notorious crime family the Russoti's and he changed his last name to avoid association with them. He lives with his fiancee and their two year old daughter and all seems perfect. However it all comes crashing down when his brother is landed in jail and his family tries to force him to do something as he's a policeman and it's about time he did something for the family. He refuses, he's disgusted with his family's ways and his brother ends up going to prison where he ends up killed. The Russoti's doesn't take too kindly to this and order a hit on Tony and his family. He's not home at the time and comes home to find his fiancee and daughter killed. He hears the hit men outside, having come back to finish the job, and quickly grabs some civillian clothes from his closet, a white shirt with a black skull on it, some black jeans, and a leather jacket.

He runs out of the house, managing to steal the hit men's car when they enter the house, and drives. He thinks about his options, knowing he simply can't report it because almost every cop in a high up position is corrupt and would leave it alone or kill him. He stops and checks the trunk of the car, finding an arsenal fit for an army. Being a gun enthusiast, he knows how each of them works and his course of action becomes clear. Those who killed his family must be punished.

Does this sound like possible new series?

Avatar image for jack_before_joker
jack_before_joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jack_before_joker

this is an awesome premise!! but i think it should be a brand new character, not punisher!

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@jack_before_joker: Fair enough. This is just my idea for a plausible way to have a new character for Punisher in the main Marvel U. Like have Frank locked up for a while, leading to a new series with a new Punisher for a while, then Frank busts out leading to either an epic showdown between him and his replacement or them teaming up and Frank gaining a partner.

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By bionder

I agree with you when say that Frank works better in a MAX world. But having a new character take the mantle of Punisher for me doesn't sound good. Your plot could be a good one for a limited series with 5 issues, but you had to change the name of Toni Russo it could lead with some association with Billy Russo aka Jigsaw.

PS: In 616 i believe Frank can work with a partner like Micro or Henry to give him some intel. But he must do the work on the field.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@Bionder said:

I agree with you when say that Frank works better in a MAX world. But having a new character take the mantle of Punisher for me doesn't sound good. Your plot could be a good one for a limited series with 5 issues, but you had to change the name of Toni Russo it could lead with some association with Billy Russo aka Jigsaw.

PS: In 616 i believe Frank can work with a partner like Micro or Henry to give him some intel. But he must do the work on the field.

This is more of a rough concept. Not saying this NEEDS to happen this way or at all, but I think giving Frank a break in the main Marvel universe would be a good idea. I don't even BUY main universe Punisher anymore because he's become something of a joke to me. Yes, a joke. He was a Frankenstein Monster and is now younger due to mystical means. I know it's comics, but that just seems WAY to out there for a character like Frank. MAX is my Punisher, because he's exactly what I think Punisher should be. Do I like the idea of him LETTING his family get killed? Not really, but I gloss over that. Like I said Frank works better in a world where superheroes are either absent or there are only a small handful. I could buy seeing Daredevil in a MAX story, or maybe even Moon Knight, but those are the limit.

I think having a fresh Punisher for a while would be an interesting arc. Like Frank gets locked up, in his absence someone becomes a new Punisher with a different outfit, the white shirt with a black skull, and goes on his own crusade until Frank eventually busts out. If they did that in Marvel Now, I would read it. I just think mainstream Punisher could use some fresh blood so to speak until they figure out just what to do with him because he's only good when it's MAX.

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By bionder

@Smart_Dork_Dude: I respect your idea but they already tried that formula when Lynn Michaels take the mantle of the Punisher when Frank desapeared in "Suicide Run" and didn't work.

The Punisher is Frank Castle.

PS: Did you read Greg Rucka's Punisher? This is one of the best representations of the character in 616 imo. It's not the MAX but for me its somewhat an hybrid version of MAX with 616.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@Bionder said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude: I respect your idea but they already tried that formula when Lynn Michaels take the mantle of the Punisher when Frank desapeared in "Suicide Run" and didn't work.

The Punisher is Frank Castle.

PS: Did you read Greg Rucka's Punisher? This is one of the best representations of the character in 616 imo. It's not the MAX but for me its somewhat an hybrid version of MAX with 616.

I think the main thing that didn't make it work was they had numerous Punisher's running around and the fact most of them didn't really have the proper back story to become The Punisher. Also Frank would locked up, known to be very much alive in my idea, so my new Punisher would be the ONLY one to take up the crusade.