#1 Posted by kamrenamir (212 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey everyone thanks for taking the time to read this, it's not much just what I think about the whole thing.

First I just wanna say I've been a huge fan of all of the Robins for a long time. Like many my imagination and hope was whisked away with the idea that a normal kid could do all those amazing things in the name of justice.
One of the best things about the robins is that they are all unique and have all stepped out of the robin title in different ways.

Now the thing that just feels off to me is the unoriginal idea of killing Damian. I mean:
Dick: Grew up and went his own way
Jason: Died and was resurrected with a mentality that didn't go well with Bruce
Tim: Joined justice league and went his own way from there.

I know that killing Damian adds a new depth of emotion to Bruce (As we could tell from the bat family's interactions with Bruce after) because Damian was just becoming a new person (figuratively) but killing him off was just a horrible Idea. They had so much opportunity and I feel they did it just to sell issues. If they even think of bringing him back to life people they would have to do it in a craazy way or people will constantly compare it to Jason and if they keep him dead they might as well not even try and create another robin because the issues with Damian in them were just leading up to giving Bruce the added insecurity of a robin dying which he will rub off onto the new child.

Well that was just my two cents. Feel free to agree or totally bash my thoughts. I like debates.

#2 Posted by greenteaforme (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

Damian was by far the worst and least popular Robin ever, next to Carrie Kelley. I didn't enjoy him. I didn't enjoy his character design or his place in the DCU. I felt him totally unnecessary.
I'm glad to see him go - wish he never existed.

#3 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Damian Wayne annoys the sh*t out of me so I'm glad he's gone.

#4 Posted by Wolverine08 (42180 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Damian a lot. I hope he comes back.

#5 Posted by Icarusflies (12503 posts) - - Show Bio

Damian was my favorite Robin. I miss him. :(

#6 Edited by entropy_aegis (15316 posts) - - Show Bio

Damian was by far the worst and least popular Robin ever, next to Carrie Kelley. I didn't enjoy him. I didn't enjoy his character design or his place in the DCU. I felt him totally unnecessary.

Your opinion,not a fact.But what is a fact is that by the time of his death he was incredibly popular,moreso than even Tim Drake which automatically puts him above the others since Drake was the usual favorite.

#7 Posted by batmannflash (6219 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss the kid.

#8 Posted by RDClip (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like Damien, not only because he's a little psychopath, but also because he shook up the Batman status quo. Bruce was more responsible for Damien than any other Robin, not only because he was Bruce's biological son, but because Damien never lived anything that could be called a normal life. So, it was up to Bruce to teach him to be a person.

#9 Edited by JulieDC (952 posts) - - Show Bio

Your opinion,not a fact.But what is a fact is that by the time of his death he was incredibly popular,moreso than even Tim Drake which automatically puts him above the others since Drake was the usual favorite.

Hmm, you are doing the same thing he is doing. Calling something a fact when it just an opinion. There is no proof that he is more popular than Tim Drake and there most certainly isn't any proof that puts Damian "automatically" above Tim. And internet polls are hardly credible as "proof". There is a reasons terms like "sampling error" and "sampling bias" exist.

@greenteaforme said:

I so agree!!! I won't miss Damian at all. Getting rid of Damian was the only thing I liked in this whole New 52 shake up. He never fit as a Robin for me which is why I rarely address him as such. As far as I am concerned he is Not-Robin and will always be that. I will admit however, I'll take Damian over Carrie Kelley as Robin.

The only thing I have to say regarding Damian and his death is that they should have had him go evil or turn out to be a spy for his mom or something since the "death of Robin" thing has already been done and is so cliche now.

#10 Posted by Mucklefluga (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

Very fantastic character, but Morrison felt the need to kill him as that was his plan from Damians creation. Its Grants fault for making such a compelling character!

#11 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually you couldn't be more wrong. There was a poll conducted by Bleeding Cool to see who the most popular Robin was and Damian placed second , ahead of every Robin except Dick Grayson. If you don't Damian just come out and say it, instead of putting out false information. Polls suggest Damian is one of the best Robins ever,I can't wait for his return and he will!

#12 Posted by RustyRoy (12690 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc said:

Hmm,you are doing the same thing he is doing. Calling something a fact when it just an opinion. There is no proof that he is more popular than Tim Drake and there most certainly isn't any proof that puts Damian automatically above Tim. And internet polls are hardly credible as "proof". There is a reasons terms like "sampling error" and "sampling bias" exist.

You see he said by the time of his death he was more popular than Drake which is true, Damian was the main star of B&R and was a major character of Batman Inc while Drake was getting a very bad rep from TT which was selling less than both said titles, he's also the star of Li'l Gotham and he was one who had a major role in Injustice GAU not the other Robins, and is getiing a mini series, an animated feature, right now Damian is a bigger name than Tim. Damian is this generations Robin.

On topic he's the coolest Robin ever and he gonna come back and the haters can go sulk in the corner.

#13 Edited by JulieDC (952 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: Lol, so going by what you said, the only reason Damian is "popular" is because DC screwed up Tim Drake in New 52. Not very flattering for Damian if that is what it took to make him seem like the better option. Other than that, nothing you said is proof. I mean Tim Drake had a bigger appearance in Arkham City and Damian none. Tim Drake is also the character used in the Young Justice cartoon season 2. And Tim Drake is also the character that had 3 miniseries plus his own solo for 17 years followed by another solo for 3 years. Also, Tim Drake managed to be Robin for 20 years to Damian's 4 years.

There are no facts to decide who was the best Robin. At the end of the day, it is all opinion. If you like Damian fine. I like Tim Drake. But to call it a fact that Damian is the best Robin or more popular or better than Tim Drake is nothing more than fabrication and immature fanboyism.

#14 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I was skeptical of Damian when he was introduced because I wasn't happy with how Tim was sidelined, however, Tim was already being derailed as a character prior to that IMO (Cassandra too). The way Damian was written won me over once he embraced the Robin mantle for real, however, because of the entertaining banter with other bat family members (e.g., Dick, Stephanie, Alfred). I was sorry to see him go but apparently he was created with that in mind.

#15 Posted by noj (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc: Tim Drake as Robin was like barely in the second season of Young Justice. Young Justice was still VERY much Dick Graysons show. Tim never got an episode where he was the main character and only had one or two lines in any episode he was in except for the first one where he has a prominent role. Given more time I'm absolutely positive Damian wouldve appeared on Young Justice.

#16 Edited by JulieDC (952 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj: So, that doesn't change anything. Tim has appeared in more cartoons than Damian Wayne. Young Justice didn't even have to include Tim but they did. Which thankfully means more non-comic book fans who only watch the cartoons are familiar with Tim Drake than Damian Wayne.

#17 Edited by Wolverine08 (42180 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc said:

@rustyroy: Lol, so going by what you said, the only reason Damian is "popular" is because DC screwed up Tim Drake in New 52. Not very flattering for Damian if that is what it took to make him seem like the better option. Other than that, nothing you said is proof. I mean Tim Drake had a bigger appearance in Arkham City and Damian none. Tim Drake is also the character used in the Young Justice cartoon season 2. And Tim Drake is also the character that had 3 miniseries plus his own solo for 17 years followed by another solo for 3 years. Also, Tim Drake managed to be Robin for 20 years to Damian's 4 years.

There are no facts to decide who was the best Robin. At the end of the day, it is all opinion. If you like Damian fine. I like Tim Drake. But to call it a fact that Damian is the best Robin or more popular or better than Tim Drake is nothing more than fabrication and immature fanboyism.

#18 Posted by The_Tree (7453 posts) - - Show Bio

Damian's my favorite Robin.

#19 Edited by JulieDC (952 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: There wouldn't be haters if the fanboys would stop trying to remind us how much their favorite characters are better than other peoples favorite characters on the simple basis that its their favorite character and then try and pass that off as some kind of fact when it isn't.

#20 Posted by Wolverine08 (42180 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc:

I was just joking, and being a hater isn't any better than a fanboy :)

#21 Edited by JulieDC (952 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: I didn't say it was any better. But I am saying that fanboys cause people to become haters.

#22 Posted by Wolverine08 (42180 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by RustyRoy (12690 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc said:

As @noj pointed out before Tim Drake was barely in YJ, and Damian's Injustice appearance created far more buzz than Drake's AC appearance, people were mostly excited about Nightwing in AC, and only two Robin has made their mark on the Batman mantle, and that's Grayson and Damian, and as I said before at the time of his death, he was more popular, you know Captain America was more popular than Iron Man but now Iron Man is the more popular one, Damian has gotten a lot of publicity lately and Tim was a bigger name 4-5 years ago but now Damian is the more popular one. And you were acting like a fangirl, first of all @entropy_aegis was just correcting a guy who said Damian was the least popular Robin, he's more popular than Stephanie Brown, Carrie Kelly and Jason Todd's Robins, but you only had problem from with his statement while you said nothing to the guy who started it, popularity is not entirely an opinion. Also this thread wasn't about Damian was the best Robin ever, read the OP, it just said that it was horrible that a 10 year old got killed but that guy you agreed to came in and said that he was the worst Robin ever and started the flame war so what you said to @wolverine08 is false. Its a thread for fans not haters.

#24 Posted by Wolverine08 (42180 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@juliedc said:

As @noj pointed out before Tim Drake was barely in YJ, and Damian's Injustice appearance created far more buzz than Drake's AC appearance, people were mostly excited about Nightwing in AC, and only two Robin has made their mark on the Batman mantle, and that's Grayson and Damian, and as I said before at the time of his death, he was more popular, you know Captain America was more popular than Iron Man but now Iron Man is the more popular one, Damian has gotten a lot of publicity lately and Tim was a bigger name 4-5 years ago but now Damian is the more popular one. And you were acting like a fangirl, first of all @entropy_aegis was just correcting a guy who said Damian was the least popular Robin, he's more popular than Stephanie Brown, Carrie Kelly and Jason Todd's Robins, but you only had problem from with his statement while you said nothing to the guy who started it, popularity is not entirely an opinion. Also this thread wasn't about Damian was the best Robin ever, read the OP, it just said that it was horrible that a 10 year old got killed but that guy you agreed to came in and said that he was the worst Robin ever and started the flame war so what you said to @wolverine08 is false. Its a thread for fans not haters.

Damn straight!

#25 Edited by JulieDC (952 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: all i did was call him out for doing the same exact thing he was accusing someone else of doing. And no this is not a thread for fans, its in the general discussion, so anyone can answer. If you only want those that love Damian to answer then put in the Damian Wayne forum. If you don't like my opinion well, tough because it will not be changing. Nothing you say will change it. And since there are no facts that actually state which Robin is the best or the most popular, all it will be is your opinion vs my opinion. Like him all you want but remember, its simply your opinion and is not a fact. You can keep calling me a hater all you want. But it won't change anything. Damian is not "automatically" above Tim Drake or the other Robins. That is pure opinion and you know it.

#26 Edited by TheCannon (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

This.

#27 Posted by entropy_aegis (15316 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc said:

Hmm, you are doing the same thing he is doing. Calling something a fact when it just an opinion. There is no proof that he is more popular than Tim Drake and there most certainly isn't any proof that puts Damian "automatically" above Tim. And internet polls are hardly credible as "proof". There is a reasons terms like "sampling error" and "sampling bias" exist.

@greenteaforme said:

I so agree!!! I won't miss Damian at all. Getting rid of Damian was the only thing I liked in this whole New 52 shake up. He never fit as a Robin for me which is why I rarely address him as such. As far as I am concerned he is Not-Robin and will always be that. I will admit however, I'll take Damian over Carrie Kelley as Robin.

The only thing I have to say regarding Damian and his death is that they should have had him go evil or turn out to be a spy for his mom or something since the "death of Robin" thing has already been done and is so cliche now.

Damian was more popular than Drake by the time of his death tha IS a fact, you should make a poll here,on CBR or any other site if you wanna satisfy yourself.The difference between me and him is that I'm stating the obvious,that person was showing his bias,and looking at your posts I can see why you agree with him,you're just as biased as he is.

@juliedc said:

Tim appeared in Arkham? lol he was a generic Robin stand in,it could have been anyone,same goes for his BTAS version who was actually Jason Todd with Drakes name on it,YJ I'm not even gonna bother with. Likewise no called Damian the best Robin however someone did call him the worst Robin and another someone refuses to acknowledge him now that is fabrication and immaturity,I'll leave it to you to find out who the second person is.

Regardless no one denied Drakes popularity but he is a thing of the past,he lost everything that made him cool after Identity Crisis and became Batman lite, the new-52 was the final nail in his coffin.I like Drake and I hope DC makes me love him like I used to but these are cold hard facts not opinions.

Damian Wayne is THIS generations Robin,and you're gonna have to deal with it.

#28 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Edited by JulieDC (952 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Was this generation's Robin. He is dead now. And you are going to have to deal with the reality that not all of us like Damian and that he isn't "automatically" above the other Robins (YOUR words). If that was your opinion, I wouldn't care but you called it a fact and its not a fact.

#30 Edited by entropy_aegis (15316 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc said:

@entropy_aegis: Was this generation's Robin. He is dead now. And you are going to have to deal with the reality that not all of us like Damian and that he isn't "automatically" above the other Robins (YOUR words). If that was your opinion, I wouldn't care but you called it a fact and its not a fact.

Will be back if you've read Batman INC(I'll give it a year from now,or in the next big Ra's al Ghul story),my wording in that post is poor I'll concede.I wanted to say that Damian was more popular than Drake by the time of his death,the part about him being more popular than the others was an assumption based on Drake normally being more loved,that's really it.

#31 Posted by RustyRoy (12690 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc: Popularity is not an opinion, its a fact, if it was an opinion then Flash would've been more popular than Superman, also I wasn't trying to change your opinion. You said haters are there because fanboys say their character is the best but look at the thread again, no one said he was the best Robin before you're first post, in fact a hater said that he was the worst and list popular Robin.

#32 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29500 posts) - - Show Bio

WORST OPINION OF THE MONTH - AUGUST 2013

CONGRATULATIONS COMICVINE USER [greenteaforme]

#33 Edited by XImpossibruX (5174 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Damian. He was the only Robin born into a villainous background, but still chose the good path.

#34 Edited by JulieDC (952 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy the argument ended when entropy admitted that his wording was wrong and that it isn't a fact that Damian is "automatically" above Tim and the others. Until an official non-Internet survey is done complete with removing sampling biases and other errors, all internet polls and forums can really do is provide speculation but not a fact. Its akin to the problems that came from the killing Jason Todd phone thing.

#35 Edited by RustyRoy (12690 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Edited by LimboBot (118 posts) - - Show Bio

Daiman was cool, Not the BEST imo but he was a likable character

#37 Posted by Enzeru (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't acknowledge any later Robin after Grayson and Todd.

#38 Posted by entropy_aegis (15316 posts) - - Show Bio

@enzeru said:

Have a nice team reading Golden age,Silver age and Bronze age stories.

#39 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@enzeru said:

He doesn't acknowledge good stories either, which explains his taste in characters.

#40 Posted by Enzeru (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

I like charme and I like self-awareness. Golden Age, Silver Age and Bronze Age stories were full of that stuff, so I don't mind them at all.

He doesn't acknowledge good stories either, which explains his taste in characters.

Imagine you're on a vacation and you're having the time of your life for two entire weeks. Then you get back home and go to work and everything is just terrible and one day is enough to ruin everything for you.
There are good stories in comics, but sometimes you face stories so bad, that it hits you like a punch in the face. Humans are designed to pay more attention to the bad stuff that happens. It haunts them for much longer than good stuff.

I'll leave you with that statement and hope that you have the brains to figure it out.

#41 Posted by entropy_aegis (15316 posts) - - Show Bio