My Buy List This Week

MonkeyToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

Edited By MonkeyToe

I am back this week, continuing on my recent blogging trend about which comic books are on my list to buy and why.

My Week in Review

High points in my reading list last week were the Justice League, Wonder Woman, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and Green Lantern the New Guardians titles while my low point of reading last week was pretty much just Catwoman. I had already taken Catwoman off my list previous to this week but I have committed myself to buying the next few weeks of for nothing more than the DOTF tie-in. Still, the comic seemed... strange? The story and the art was all over the place and so the story felt contrived and irrelevant. I think the writer is still struggling with Catwoman's identity. Birds of Prey and Nightwing seemed a bit slow this week as arc's are ending and new ones starting. Is it bad that I miss Poison Ivy on the BoP title? To me it feels like they are trying to make Dick a little too Bruce Wayne-y when it comes to the amount of women who swoon over him and it kind of annoys me. And there were a couple of comics that I am a little torn over. DC Universe Presents gives us an introduction to the Blue Demon and Black Lightning. I like the uniqueness of the characters designs and where there powers come from and what there powers are, though the latter still needs a bit of an explanation. Even so, the characters behind the heroes still seem a little cookie cutter to me as far as motivation goes. I wish we could get a little more exploration of the human nature in comic books rather than just, "I fight crime because I have great power and it is my responsibility," or "I do it because crime killed my only loved one." Marvel Now Point One #1 is a title with a bunch of mini previews all rolled into one comic. It seems kinda cheap that they charged me $5.99 just to see a few previews that they are going to charge me again for. Also, I thought that Marvel Now was supposed to be a jumping on point for new readers? It didn't feel like a good place to jump in from where I was reading. Young Avengers seemed interesting, but I have no idea what is going on or who half the characters are. I did get a good glimpse at Nova, which was pretty cool and his comic definitely seems to have potential.

Sold!

1. All Star Western #13 - This is a consistently entertaining book week in and week out. This books is a showcase that proves you don't have to have a hero in tights or a super powered alien to write a compelling book. This title is one of my favorites DC is putting out on a monthly basis and is a unique departure from all the other super hero/magically inclined titles on their roster. Jonah Hex is interesting because of his character, not because of his powers or weaknesses. Just an ordinary, albeit surly bounty hunter who's good at what he does. Other writers could learn a lot from Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray.

2. Batman Inc #4 - One of too many Bat titles on my list. The title is not horrible but I am struggling to find the uniqueness in it. Where is the Incorporated part? So far it just feels like another Batman and Robin title.

3. Batman The Dark Knight #13 - This book had fallen off my list with what I consider the Bane and White Rabbit debacle. Then they replaced Judd Winick with writer Gregg Hurwitz and sucked me back in. The Scarecrow arc has been excellent which is why I am buying this book. Even so... too many bat titles.

4. Flash #13 - What can I say beyond the fact that this title is an enjoyable Flash comic every month and I am eager to see what the Gorilla invasion does to Central City and how the Flash plans on stopping it. Also, what the heck is going with Ivy West still stuck in the Speed Force? Is she going to come out all crazy like Turbine? Could she get powers?

5. I, Vampire #13 - Ok, I'm going to say it and you can take this or leave it. This isn't the fault of the creative team on this book, but is ANYONE else getting tired of Vampires? They have infiltrated every medium in our current culture and it feels like they are always the same. I don't hate this title but I think if room needs to be made this will be an easy cut. I think I will go back and do a blog on the entire series and my feeling on the vampires in the DC Universe this week. Stay tuned for more.

6. Justice League Dark #13 - Jeff Lemire's run on this title has been excellent, in my humble opinion. This series had some hiccups early on, somewhere between the Rise of the Vampires and the current arc, but the story has smoothed out and has been escalating along. The title has been excellent in conveying that increasing sense of Danger and I am enjoying the magical side of DC very much and I can't wait to read more.

7. Red Lanterns #13 - This has been my least favorite of the Lantern titles. I am reading it for the Rise of the Third Army story for now but I will likely drop this title if and when I need room for another book.

8. Talon #1 - This title had an ok #0 issue. I am looking forward to reading this title to see if it proves worthy of staying on my list.

9. Teen Titans #13 - I am enjoying this title. Each team member adds to the sum of the team together where as I might not enjoy each of these heroes in a stand alone title (like Superboy which I have dropped). There are questions I look forward to seeing information being revealed on, like Wondergirl's armor and Kid Flash's past(/future!) Even so, I am glad the Culling is over.

Game Day Decisions

1. National Comics Madame Xanadu - I am a little confused as to the purpose of National Comics. The article posted here on CV stated that it was a way for DC to reintroduce little known characters back into the DC universe. I thought that was an excellent idea and I read and enjoyed the one shot on Kid Eternity a lot. But Madame Xanadu? Do we really need a reintroduction to this character with as prominently as she is displayed in both Justice League Dark and The Demon Knights? And the DC Solicit says "The classic DC character Madame Xanadu is reimagined in a compelling new way"? Does that mean this is an alternate reality or what? I just don't get it and because of that confusion, I am leaning towards no on this book.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By tomlikesfries

Nice list. Here's mine:

I, Vampire: #13

JLD: #13

Flash: #13

Talon: #1

Invincible: #96

ASM: #696

I was reading All-Star Western before, but I dropped it, because I'm already following 32 titles! I was also gonna pick up War Zone, but I spent a lot of cash this month with older Star Wars comics, so no Punisher for me.

MonkeyToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MonkeyToe

There are a lot of iffy title on my list this week that may get cut sometime in the future. I'm also going back and rereading my entire blackest night TPBs because I finally got the last one I needed a few months ago and I want to read it start to finish in the order it came out. I have a bunch of books with little paper tabs sticking out say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ect.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#3  Edited By RazzaTazz

I think national is more like an alternate universe, kind of like elseworlds or realworlds

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By minigunman123

@tomlikesfries said:

Nice list. Here's mine:

I, Vampire: #13

JLD: #13

Flash: #13

Talon: #1

Invincible: #96

ASM: #696

I was reading All-Star Western before, but I dropped it, because I'm already following 32 titles! I was also gonna pick up War Zone, but I spent a lot of cash this month with older Star Wars comics, so no Punisher for me.

Holy smokin' jesus titty cinnamon! 32 titles!? At the peak of my comic buying, I only followed 12-15!

I must acquire through affordable means, whatever smoldering plants you are inhaling, sir! (AKA I want what you're smokin'! 32 titles sounds awesome!)

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By tomlikesfries

@minigunman123: LOL

Avatar image for the_jackolantern
The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By The_jackolantern

Jld Flash Talon Batman inc Wolverine max but only if its nothing to do with the other 100 books he's in and is violet. And the walking dead compdendium 2

xtremekidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xtremekidx

nice list my friend.i would appreciate if you would do your own review of i vampire this week for a guy who really felt like reading it just cause of #0 cause that was awesome for me....

MonkeyToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MonkeyToe

: I agree, but at the same time that makes me less interested in these books. Plus, if it is an alternate reality, there go my hopes of Kid Eternity showing up in the New 52 after such a good comic. Either way, I will likely not buy this title this week.

: I am the same way. Currently I buy 8-9 titles a week and anywhere from 32-36 titles a month, though most of them are DC. When the New 52 first launched I was buying 51 titles a month. All except Static Shock, because I hate that guy!

: I feel that way about Batman right now.

: Consider it done. I'm a little biased against that title this week. I will do a stand alone review on the title but also keep an eye out for a blog that will feature what I feel the problems are with Vampires in the New 52 and in all media today.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Stormbox

Only talon for me this week D:

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#10  Edited By RazzaTazz
@MonkeyToe: It seems to be exclusive though as MadameXanadu is also in mainstream.  Kid Eternity could show up elsewhere.  
MonkeyToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MonkeyToe

: Talon is of particular interest to me. I started reading DC because of the New 52 relaunch and while I have jumped right in, it is interesting to be around when a new hero was created from a storyline that I read.

: Here's to hoping! Maybe I should put on my Blue Lantern ring.

The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_jackolantern

@MonkeyToe yeah batman is in everything and they just throw him in to random stuff like I vampire and Jld even tho he's not needed in them at all!cant wait for them to get rid of batman inc and the dark knight to get trim some fat from batman

MonkeyToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MonkeyToe

: I'm actually liking the current Dark Knight story.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Stormbox

@MonkeyToe: Yea Talons cool, too bad theres not many comics for me this week

The good thing about weeks like this one though is that i can buy more tpbs

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Cavemold

Getting talon and punshier war zone!

MonkeyToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MonkeyToe

: I know what you mean. I am working my way back through Blackest Night in order right now after finally getting all the TPBs. Once I get through that I am thinking I will move on to Brightest Day, or maybe backwards to the Sinestro Corps War.

: Talon seems to be a popular pick up this week.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Cavemold

Sinestro corps war must GL read. Talon 0 was hit , talon 1 preview looks good so makes sense it's a popular pick. The punisher war zone should be a fun mini

The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_jackolantern

Yeah the whole sinestro corps war all the way till brightest day is must read! I gave up on the dark knight after the 1st two arcs.whats the new one like?

jstndmnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#19  Edited By jstndmnd

As always I will be getting Aquaman, and sadly I think I will be ending the Flash (pulling it off the list to make room for earth 2)

But most of all I'm looking forward to the Prequel to H'el on Earth! --Superman #13

No Caption Provided
MonkeyToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MonkeyToe

: Thanks for the suggestion on the Sinestro Corps war. I'm waiting to start picking up any Marvel books until Marvel Now is in full swing.

: New writer = New life. The new arc is all Scarecrow and it has been pretty good.

: Aquaman is next week.