_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By _Marc_74

only collecting a couple of years and now not sure what to get next

I have a few DC animated on a drive also but what other books should i get... i loved Halloween and black mirror

No Caption Provided

Batman Earth One

Joker (not read yet)

Batman Hush

Batman Year One

TDKR

Knightfall pt 1 & 2

Black Mirror

Batman Death in family (not read yet)

The Long Halloween

Batman Vs Predator 1,2 & 3

Batman the Killing Joke

Batman and Psychology

Wisdom from the Batcave

and im not a fan of asylum, was terrible story in my opinion

Suggestions please

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@_marc_74: I'm sorry, but I can't see some of the titles. Would you mind listing off what trades you have?

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By silent_bomber

Birth of the Demon & Going Sane

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_marc_74: Have you considered checking out Grant Morrison's Batman run? It's the best one to date, IMHO.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see you had already read Long Halloween.

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By _Marc_74

i looked at morrisons, then got put off by some reviews and then the ordering. where do i start?

i obviously do need to add some to the collection

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The arkham games.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By PeppeyHare

Court of owls/ city of owls

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_marc_74: Well, the first place to start would be the Black Casebook. It's a collection of old Batman comics that inspired Morrison's run. It's not essential, but it his entire run references those stories allot, and reading them first will help you get a better understanding of what's going on.

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i also have all of new 52 batman, sold the detective comics ones

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

court of owls, dark victory and batman RIP

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Court of Owls, and Grant Morrison's run

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth.

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By _Marc_74
Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_marc_74

It might not be to everyone's tastes, but Arkham Asylum is a challenging read and hardly overrated. The story established the Asylum's history, and explores Batman's psyche by comparing him to his enemies. The lettering is effective by playing with different fonts and styles for each character. The entire story has a very novel-like, surreal, almost Alice in Wonderland quality. I'd recommend purchasing the 25th Anniversary Edition, which comes with detailed annotations and a script to better help readers understand the book.

If you want 'overrated', look no further than Long Halloween or Hush. Both are quite terrible stories, and yet people continuously refer to them as being some of the best Batman comics. Arkham Asylum seems to slip most readers' minds when it comes to recommendations, but its critical praise is well deserved I feel.

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hush again I thought was boring and basic story just jumping to villians.

Halloween I thought was very good

But asylum had a great premise but the story didn't go anywhere and didnt do much. Its a book that just wanted to be different. Font style was an idea but stupid when hard to read.

Art wise it is good but the story i felt was pure dribble. An incoherent mess

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@_marc_74

It might not be to everyone's tastes, but Arkham Asylum is a challenging read and hardly overrated. The story established the Asylum's history, and explores Batman's psyche by comparing him to his enemies. The lettering is effective by playing with different fonts and styles for each character. The entire story has a very novel-like, surreal, almost Alice in Wonderland quality. I'd recommend purchasing the 25th Anniversary Edition, which comes with detailed annotations and a script to better help readers understand the book.

If you want 'overrated', look no further than Long Halloween or Hush. Both are quite terrible stories, and yet people continuously refer to them as being some of the best Batman comics. Arkham Asylum seems to slip most readers' minds when it comes to recommendations, but its critical praise is well deserved I feel.

Agreed, and its not that hard to read, the Joker parts are a bit hard but that makes it even more fun, the words are as difficult to read as Joker's personality. TBH this is one of the best Batman stories, far better than Hush or LH. But yeah its not for everyone I guess.

@_marc_74 I'd recommend Morrison's run, I'm not sure its for everyone but then again nothing is. You can also check out Birth of the Demon, Son of the Demon and Venom. Since you liked Long Halloween you may also like Dark Victory.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By silent_bomber

I found Arkham Asylum a little pretentious personally, couldn't get into it either

Hush was pretty much garbage, just a bunch of cameos held together with a flimsy plot, nice artwork. 2/5

Long Halloween was a little better than Hush, it benefited from wholesale ripping off Batman Annual 14 & the Godfather, but was still a very, very flawed book regardless. As a mystery it was really pathetic and you could tell it wasn't planned very well. 2.5/5

Year One I really enjoyed, smart story, mature, loads of focus on Gordon. 5/5

Killing Joke I also like, but think may be a little overrated. I like the different ways of reading into it. 4/5

Going Sane was cool, similar to Killing Joke in some ways with its focus on a "normal" Joker, who's trying to live his life here after he thinks that he's finally managed to kill Batman (Batman is portrayed in the story as the sole focus and reason for his psychosis). Its a counterpart to Kraven's Last Hunt for Spider-Man, which was written by the same writer. 4/5

The Cult I also enjoyed but its pretty crazy, with some religious fanatic breaking, torturing, drugging, and eventually brain-washing Batman and then taking over Gotham. You can really tell that the team who worked on it were from the horror genre as there are a lot of grisly scenes here. Your mileage may vary here 4/5

A Death in the Family was kind of OK, but is very silly at times, and there's not a hell of a lot of plot, I think its more famous for the death of Robin than anything else. Still there are a lot of character moments for Jason Todd here. 3/5

Birth of the Demon was very good, its all about the origin of Ra's and shows him growing up learning about Lazarus pits and such. There's an epic battle between Batman, and a soon to be dead Ra's who's desperately trying to reach a pit. 4/5

Son of the Demon was ok ish but I wasn't really that into it, this one is like an action-adventure tale with Batman teaming up with Ra's and Talia, traveling with them and helping them train an army and such to defeat a common foe. 3/5

Mad Love I thought was pretty awesome, it tells the origin of Harley Quinn and is very humourous whilst also managing to be sad. Joker is brilliant here and there are a lot of great exchanges between the three characters. 5/5

Venom, didn't like it much, its about the first appearance of Venom, before Bane first appeared. Batman gets addicted to the stuff in what I feel is a wildly out of character moment, he fights his addiction and then goes after the drugs designer. 2.5/5

Blind Justice I liked, its about what happens when Batman lets people get too close to him. Bruce makes a lot of big errors here which have some nasty repercussions. This story also ties up and explains a lot of loose ends in the Batman mythos. 4/5

Strange Apparitions, this was my favourite of the 1970s Batman stories I read. Batman is much more human here than he is portrayed these days, with him leading his Bruce Wayne life and getting involved with a love interest etc etc. The story has one of Batman's earliest enemies, Dr Hugo Strange discovering his identity, it has tons of atmosphere. 4/5

Prey, I didn't like this story much, it also has Hugo Strange in it but he acts like a very different character. Here he is pretty much an incompetent loser who chases women and gets others to do his dirty work. There were no interesting antagonists in this story, the guy fighting Batman most of the time was completely forgettable and Strange took a back seat and did very little. 2.5/5

Dark Knight, Dark City was pretty good, this was a popular Riddler story where the character seems likes a very real, very dangerous threat. This story has big supernatural element to it with the story including old curses and black magic and such. 3/5

Red Rain was an elseworlds tale about Batman becoming a vampire. I thought this story was entertaining, nothing more, nothing less. It was easy to read and held my interest well, this one also has a lot of atmosphere. 3/5

Faces, I liked this one well enough, it was about Two-Face trying to create a paradise for freaks where they could all live in peace, except the other freaks didn't appreciate him forcing them to come along with him LOL. 3/5

Heart of Hush I enjoyed a lot more than Hush, it was much better written, and Hush's character was really built on here and made into a much more believable character, the plot was also a lot more focused. 3/5

Tales of the Demon was another 70s story, this time starring Ra's and Talia in their first appearances. This was very readable, its kind of silly and pulpy at times but has a nice adventure style to it, with Batman traveling around the world with a team he forms to help him take down Ra's. There's some pretty iconic panels in this one and it memorable. 3/5

Damn!, I'm only halfway through but I'm fed up with writing so I'm quitting here, LOL

Maybe I'll resume some other time

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SilverPool

I can't really recommend any books because we have an almost identical collection. But I can recommend you buy the movie version of Batman Year One and Under the Red Hood.

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have them on disc

And thanks silent bomber

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: @veshark: Arkham Asylum actually sounds like a fun read. Who's it written by?

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: Oh, then that's definitely on my list! Thanks.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get the 25th anniversary edition with the full script and notes! Trust me, it makes you appreciate the book a whole lot more.

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

25th? I had 15th edition seriously not very good. So much potential but fell severely flat

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Batman: Terror which is sold in a paper trade with Batman: Prey is not that bad. Not the best Batman story but if you want a fun ride with Catwoman and Scarecrow then go with that. Matt Wagner's Batman and The Monster Men and Batman and The Mad Monk are really good too.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Onemoreposter

@_marc_74: If you like Long Halloween then Batman: Dark Victory is a must. Dark Victory is the sequel to long Halloween and has the same creative team of Loeb and Sale.

No Caption Provided

You seem to be a loeb fan so I must recommend the first 4 volumes of the Superman/Batman book from the 2000s all written by Jeph Loeb. The first volume is called Public Enemies and is illustrated by Ed McGuiness.

No Caption Provided

The second volume is called "The Supergirl from Krypton" and is illustrated by Michael Turner. I don't want to spoil anything but the arc is particularly famous for the confrontation between Batman and Darkseid.

No Caption Provided

The Third volume is called "Absolute Power" in which do to some villainous time travel Batman and Superman find themselves rulers of planet earth.

No Caption Provided

The fourth volume is called "With a Vengeance!" Batman and Superman are pitted against analogues of Marvel's Avengers as well as multiple alternative versions of themselves as two devious villains play a game of cosmic chess.

No Caption Provided

Personally I found nothing appealing about the Black Mirror. However, if you're a fan then you're definitely going to want to check out The Court of Owls, Night of Owls, and Death of the Family, all of which are by the same author Scott Snyder. While I don't care for Mr. Snyder's writing, the art work on all three of these arks is brilliantly done by Greg Cappullo.

The following are just some very classic Batman arc's and one shots that every fan (IMHO) should read.

Batman: Shaman by Dennis O'neil. O'neil is generally regarded as one of the most defining Batman authors of the last 50 years. In this story he delves into some of the more supernatural elements behind Bruce Wayne's transformation into the Batman. This story was indeed canon up until the 2011 DC reboot.

No Caption Provided

Batman: Gothic by Grant Morrison. I won't bother with an image for this one. I don't know if you'll like it since you weren't a fan of Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum. However, it is one of Morrison's earliest works on Batman and like ARkham Asylum it is often regarded as on the best Batman Graphic novels.

Batman: Venom. Another arc by Denny O'neil. This one features the first introduction of the drug Venom into the DCU,

No Caption Provided

I'd love to share more of my favorites with you but I'm pressed for time. Happy Readings!!

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@battle_forum_junkie said:

Get the 25th anniversary edition with the full script and notes! Trust me, it makes you appreciate the book a whole lot more.

Do you mean 15th anniversary edition? I can't seem to find a 25th. Could be I just missed it, though.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@_marc_74 said:

only collecting a couple of years and now not sure what to get next

I have a few DC animated on a drive also but what other books should i get... i loved Halloween and black mirror

No Caption Provided

Batman Earth One

Joker (not read yet)

Batman Hush

Batman Year One

TDKR

Knightfall pt 1 & 2

Black Mirror

Batman Death in family (not read yet)

The Long Halloween

Batman Vs Predator 1,2 & 3

Batman the Killing Joke

Batman and Psychology

Wisdom from the Batcave

and im not a fan of asylum, was terrible story in my opinion

Suggestions please

Alright, now that you've bought the Barnes and Noble collection, time to broaden your horizons.

Try Batman: The Cult.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Veshark

@veshark said:

Do you mean 15th anniversary edition? I can't seem to find a 25th. Could be I just missed it, though.

Ugh sorry, brain fart, yeah I meant the 15th anniversary. This version

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@veshark said:

Ugh sorry, brain fart, yeah I meant the 15th anniversary. This version

No problem. And thanks. :)

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I like to think I have a good start

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By _Marc_74

The superman batman stuff doesn't sound great.

Dark victory is a definite

Cult maybe venom and gothic. All on my wishlist

Need to try a morrison run

Where do I start?

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

I'm sure you'll have a lot of recommendations for comics...but you could work to complete your film collection, and there's the animated series you can always collect

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yea i love but not wasting my money on. i have many on the ps3 films to watch

and i did have the 90's series at one point

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By _Marc_74

@binski said:
No Caption Provided

are these in order? think ill fill in my blanks and stop at JLA, so not sure on JLA stuff

Chewblocka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as others may have said, Grant Morrison's Batman run is pretty good.

I'll list the books/issues and I think theyre in correct order but maybe others can help correct it or w/e

52 (prologue)

52 issue #30
52 issue #47

Batman & Son
The Black Glove
Batman RIP
Final Crisis (I didnt really enjoy it myself as i found it overwhelming and confusing but Batman is involved)
Battle For The Cowl (This one is by Tony S Daniel but I really enjoyed it and it provides a nice background for the next arc)
Batman & Robin Issues #1-16 (Highly recommended! Even if you decide not read the previous titles)
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman - The Return (one-shot)
Batman Incorporated Volume 1
Batman Incorporated Volume 2

phew... I think thats it :D

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_marc_74: You thought Hush was....boring?

I'm leaving this thread now...bye...

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well yeah, well it was ok to read but just throwing villians in for the sake of it, again not much substance. so many seem to have bland story lines

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@veshark said:

@_marc_74

Agreed, and its not that hard to read, the Joker parts are a bit hard but that makes it even more fun, the words are as difficult to read as Joker's personality. TBH this is one of the best Batman stories, far better than Hush or LH. But yeah its not for everyone I guess.

@_marc_74 I'd recommend Morrison's run, I'm not sure its for everyone but then again nothing is. You can also check out Birth of the Demon, Son of the Demon and Venom. Since you liked Long Halloween you may also like Dark Victory.

Yeah, I'm with you there. Dat ending.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@binski said:
No Caption Provided

How's Final Crisis btw?

Chewblocka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool: confusing and overwhelming... for me anyways

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is batman rip the one with multi coloured batman and some weird little thing he was talking to..... if so, im out

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_marc_74 said:

is batman rip the one with multi coloured batman and some weird little thing he was talking to..... if so, im out

Yes, the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh. And the weird little thing he was talking to was Bat-Mite. I would encourage you to try it out, though. If you don't want to spend the money maybe pick it up at a local library. I wouldn't just read it by itself, though. Read the previous stories in Grant Morrison's run before R.I.P - they're pretty essential to the plot.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@binski said:
No Caption Provided

My hat is off to you, sir.