#1 Posted by HolySerpent (12461 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats the difference between these two? besides the obvious one group having the x gene and other one doesn't. I can normal citizens tell them apart. When the hulk made his first appearance how come the public didnt mistake him for a mutant? Why does mutants get hated on while the metahumans get praised. Both groups have bad apples.

#2 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio

One group have the x-gene and the other one doesn't. It's the only difference.

#3 Posted by JediXMan (29627 posts) - - Show Bio
@fesak said:
That and I believe metahumans don't have to be born that way; it could be a combination of that and random power-acquisition origin stories.
#4 Posted by mfundo (1622 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

That and I believe metahumans don't have to be born that way; it could be a combination of that and random power-acquisition origin stories.

You sound so wise dude.

#5 Posted by The Impersonator (5057 posts) - - Show Bio

These metahumans are considered as mutates or radiation-types in Marvel. For example, Hulk is a mutate. So as Mr. Sinister. In DC Comics, it's the same thing that goes for the metahumans.

#6 Posted by HolySerpent (12461 posts) - - Show Bio

If there practically the same species, then why all the hate for just the mutants

#7 Posted by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the flash a meta cause they never call him a meta.

#8 Posted by OmegaDynasty (9184 posts) - - Show Bio
@fesak said:
Pretty much.  
The way I see it is Mutant= X-gene.  Metahuman= Powers form other origins. ( Alien race, freak accident, etc.) 
Not sure why Metahumans get off easy then mutants? I mean shouldn't the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Hulk be getting same treatment as mutants? They have powers just as most mutants do.
#9 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki9876 said:

Is the flash a meta cause they never call him a meta.

wally has a meta gene like a mutant.

@HolySerpent said:

If there practically the same species, then why all the hate for just the mutants

IDk i believe the public should despise them equally, however mutants are technically their own species.

#10 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmegaDynasty said:

@fesak said:
Pretty much. The way I see it is Mutant= X-gene. Metahuman= Powers form other origins. ( Alien race, freak accident, etc.) Not sure why Metahumans get off easy then mutants? I mean shouldn't the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Hulk be getting same treatment as mutants? They have powers just as most mutants do.

Fes is right and the reason there is much of a hatred for Metahumans is that they don't have the chance of randomly acquiring powers, while mutant any rapist could be.

#11 Posted by OmegaDynasty (9184 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@OmegaDynasty said:

@fesak said:
Pretty much. The way I see it is Mutant= X-gene. Metahuman= Powers form other origins. ( Alien race, freak accident, etc.) Not sure why Metahumans get off easy then mutants? I mean shouldn't the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Hulk be getting same treatment as mutants? They have powers just as most mutants do.

Fes is right and the reason there is much of a hatred for Metahumans is that they don't have the chance of randomly acquiring powers, while mutant any rapist could be.

Oh really? Any rapist can become a mutant, yet a Metahuman can't. Have we forgotten!  
#12 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmegaDynasty: That's not what I meant and you very well know it. What I mean is that Mutants powers are given randomly to whatever people, while Metahuman powers are given out less randomly. Two further things

1. DC has no mutants, thus the comparision is moot.
  2. Metahumans can be confused with Mutants by the general public very easily.
#13 Posted by OmegaDynasty (9184 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@OmegaDynasty: That's not what I meant and you very well know it. What I mean is that Mutants powers are given randomly to whatever people, while Metahuman powers are given out less randomly. Two further things

1. DC has no mutants, thus the comparision is moot.
  2. Metahumans can be confused with Mutants by the general public very easily.
True.  
Think Spider-Man was called one before.  
Also, back when Static Shock came out with the cartoon. They poked fun at that was well. With the news reporter referring the Bang Babies as mutants. Vergil replied " I don't like the term mutant, I prefer metahuman." lol
#14 Posted by majestic99 (8638 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmegaDynasty: So no major difference then(other than genes)?

Still, why are two almost identical groups treated so differently?

#15 Posted by OmegaDynasty (9184 posts) - - Show Bio
@majestic99 said:

@OmegaDynasty: So no major difference then(other than genes)?

Still, why are two almost identical groups treated so differently?

That is what I was asking as well.  
ReVamp believes it's there are more mutants, or chances of people of becoming one, as apposed to Metahumans. 
#16 Posted by TDK_1997 (14467 posts) - - Show Bio

No difference,but mutants are born with powers.

#17 Posted by majestic99 (8638 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmegaDynasty: But mutants(think of X-Men) are treated like Nazis, because there are more?It just doesn't make sense to me.

(not trying to insult anyone just confused)

#18 Posted by majestic99 (8638 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmegaDynasty said:

@ReVamp said:

@OmegaDynasty said:

@fesak said:

Oh really? Any rapist can become a mutant, yet a Metahuman can't. Have we forgotten!

1. What scan is that from?

2. Who are the characters?

#19 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

Mutants are hated and feared for the same reason anyone in real life with a genetic/biological trait is, because the person looking at them at their own core knows well they are only a thin line from being that person.

#20 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

You can become a metahuman by x reason in any moment of your life but mutants born that way

#21 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99:

The scan is from Identity Crisis, i'm not sure which issue. The characters are Sue Dibny (Elongated Man's wife) and Dr Light.

#22 Posted by The Stegman (23153 posts) - - Show Bio

i've always wondered why Marvel Universe citizens would hate the x men and love Captain America, FF and Spider-Man, it seems hypocritical, the only difference is one was born with powers while the others obtained them, heck most of the supervillains are metahumans, not mutants, you would think they would hate ALL superpowered beings 

#23 Posted by War Killer (19992 posts) - - Show Bio

@HolySerpent said:

Whats the difference between these two? besides the obvious one group having the x gene and other one doesn't. I can normal citizens tell them apart. When the hulk made his first appearance how come the public didnt mistake him for a mutant? Why does mutants get hated on while the metahumans get praised. Both groups have bad apples.

This is one thing I never liked about modern day X-Men and is something I feel has gotten old and that writers should move away from. The X-Men make it public that their "Mutants" by slapping on a "X" to their uniforms, but other than that I can't think of a way of how people can tell who's a Mutant and who's not. Like in Ultimate Spider-Man (and possible mainstream Spidey back in his early days) people mistakenly thought he was a Mutant, heck even Miles Morales thought he was Mutants even after being bitten by a spider.

But you bring up a good point with people knowing that Hulk wasn't a Mutant, it's possible that people were aware of the Hulk due to the military hunting him, but for people who had never heard of the Hulk, or knew the origin's of other superheroes like Ms. Marvel, Luke Cage, Falcon, Wasp, etc. (most people never take into consideration that most of the things we readers know, the public in the comic books have no clue of) it would actually be more realistic for people to instantly accuse them of being Mutants.

Now the easy answer to why people hate Mutants like the X-Men but praise other super-humans like the Avengers is that people know that Mutants are born with the X-Gene and are afraid of the human race going extinct and being replaced by the Mutant race. But that still doesn't make sense when you have thousands of super-human's running around, not to mention that people are afraid of Mutants because they are born with their powers yet if you look at other super-humans who have children (MC2 Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson or look at the Incredibles for examples) those children have the possibility of having powers, which in turn means they're part of a super-human race, and it's possible that their kids could have powers as well. So if more super-humans begin to have children, who in turn also have superpowers, why aren't the public freaking out about being overrun with a race of super-humans?

#24 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah Mutants are born with their powers

Metahumans can be born with their powers or gain their powers

Mutates gain their powers

So Mutants=Born

Mutate=Gain

Metahuman=Both

#25 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

@Afro_Warrior said:

@majestic99:

The scan is from Identity Crisis, i'm not sure which issue. The characters are Sue Dibny (Elongated Man's wife) and Dr Light.

how the heck did he get in the watch tower though?

#26 Posted by Soulstealer (825 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

@HolySerpent said:

This is one thing I never liked about modern day X-Men and is something I feel has gotten old and that writers should move away from. The X-Men make it public that their "Mutants" by slapping on a "X" to their uniforms, but other than that I can't think of a way of how people can tell who's a Mutant and who's not. Like in Ultimate Spider-Man (and possible mainstream Spidey back in his early days) people mistakenly thought he was a Mutant, heck even Miles Morales thought he was Mutants even after being bitten by a spider.

But you bring up a good point with people knowing that Hulk wasn't a Mutant, it's possible that people were aware of the Hulk due to the military hunting him, but for people who had never heard of the Hulk, or knew the origin's of other superheroes like Ms. Marvel, Luke Cage, Falcon, Wasp, etc. (most people never take into consideration that most of the things we readers know, the public in the comic books have no clue of) it would actually be more realistic for people to instantly accuse them of being Mutants.

Now the easy answer to why people hate Mutants like the X-Men but praise other super-humans like the Avengers is that people know that Mutants are born with the X-Gene and are afraid of the human race going extinct and being replaced by the Mutant race. But that still doesn't make sense when you have thousands of super-human's running around, not to mention that people are afraid of Mutants because they are born with their powers yet if you look at other super-humans who have children (MC2 Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson or look at the Incredibles for examples) those children have the possibility of having powers, which in turn means they're part of a super-human race, and it's possible that their kids could have powers as well. So if more super-humans begin to have children, who in turn also have superpowers, why aren't the public freaking out about being overrun with a race of super-humans?

Actually I think everyone here is missing the obvious.

Think of it this way.

Everyone knows who the Fantastic Four are.

Everyone knows who Captain America is.

People even have an idea of whom Spider-Man is (not Parker himself, but they understand the concept of Spider-Man).

All of these are obvious and blatant. "Wow, look at that superheroes..."

But who and whom are mutants? Magneto? Cyclops? Prof. X? They are examples and they're characters that we know and love, but they aren't mutants. Or rather they aren't mutants as an issue. I love X-men and personally I think people miss this one all the time. Mutants are us. Mutants are people. No more and no less.

That guy that you think is a jackass for cutting you off in traffic...he's a mutant.

The kid dealing drugs on your street corner...he's also a mutant.

Any and every cross section of "humanity" is homo-superior or could be. They're the best of us and the worst of us. Saints and sinners. What happens when you give people power indiscriminately? How do you control that? How do you even handle that as a society? What if a kid in your son's class is a mutant? What if he's dangerous? What if he explodes? Or sets ablaze? Or is poison?

What if the guy that wants to rob your house is bulletproof? Or able to control your thoughts? What if he walks through walls?

How can you ever be safe?

Or have peace of mind?

Fear is actually the big enemy of mutants in Marvel U; but what makes it worst is that it's not an unfounded fear. Mutants can be dangerous, they can be anyone, and unlike mutates or metahumans that usually they have some sort of blatant warning in their personal history, mutants are invisible because long story short they are us.

Humanity is sometimes our own greatest fear and not without reason if history books are anything to go by.

I think in X3 Xavier said is best actually:

"When an individual acquires great power, the use or misuse of that power is everything. Will it be used for the greater good or will it be used for personal or destructive ends? Now this is a question we must all ask ourselves. Why? Because we are mutants."

That's not to say that metas don't make that same choice, but there are a hell of a lot more mutants (or were). And unlike the metas they weren't at the center of some crazy accident or found some cool toy; it's just who they are. And just because of who they are, you might die because of it. Or your family. Or maybe even the world.

#27 Posted by Illuminatus (9496 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATPANEXE said:

Mutants are hated and feared for the same reason anyone in real life with a genetic/biological trait is, because the person looking at them at their own core knows well they are only a thin line from being that person.

Brilliance has been exhibited.
#28 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

When it from being treated unfairly I always thought robots are the mutants in DC.

#29 Posted by Ms. Omega (4404 posts) - - Show Bio

Metahumans recieve powers from an outside source radiation, experiments, aliens, etc that alter their base line genetic code (Hulk, Fantastic 4, Static, Ms. Marvel to name a few). Mutants are born with the genetic abboration already encoded into their DNA mutation are sometimes present at birth (Nightcrawler) more often mutations are activated by stress.

#30 Posted by AmazingFantasy15 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

The only difference between mutants and metahumans is that mutants are born with powers whereas metahumans get powers from outside source later on, the reason people hate mutants is because they are the next stage in human evolution which makes humans like neanderthals in comparison hence people hate them for it, also there is the lack of understanding hence why people call them freaks and monsters.

#31 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8895 posts) - - Show Bio

Besides the whole X-gene thing the only difference is that one is in the DC universe and the other is in the Marvel universe.

#32 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Same crap different day.

#33 Posted by Watcherg6 (263 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: In incredible hulk 382 i think, Bruce(aka the Hulk) talks about how when the FF or the avengers walk down the street, people laugh, but since they are in a crowd, you can't tell who they are laughing at. I'm guessing the mutants of the marvel universe, are like the homeless people.

They are easy to blame, and the FF, is kind of like Bill gates, working on problems for the future, also kind of tony stark.

#34 Edited by sinful (149 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why Marvel should separate the X-Men Universe from rest of Marvel...having both types of super humans and one gets discriminated more makes no sense story wise nor logic wise. What's the difference if you were born with it vs some dude said a magic word and poof you have flying?

They both have unnatural powers.

#35 Edited by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

The term "metahuman" in DC is used not only to describe those who got their powers because they were born with a metagene (ex. Black Canary, btw does she still have her Canary Cry in the DCnU?) but it is also used as a more generic term for superpowered beings regardless of their origins. For example Superman and Zatanna would still be called metahumans despite the one being an alien and the other a Homo Magi. Now in Marvel a mutant is someone who got his powers because he was born with an X-Gene. All the others in Marvel that got their powers through external means like the Hulk for example are called mutates. So basically you could say that it is the same thing at least for one of the meanings for "metahuman" but I suppose that DC didn't want to use the term "mutant" since it is closely associated with Marvel and the X-Men.

#36 Posted by MagneticTempest (207 posts) - - Show Bio
@HolySerpent said:
Why does mutants get hated on while the metahumans get praised. Both groups have bad apples.
The Mutant are hated because of Magneto. Remember all Heroes where praised until Magneto started the war against humans, and then until then, Apocalypse was moved by the cause and effect of Magneto which started Apocalypse's long years of prep to start rolling and then made everything even more worst.
#37 Posted by MagneticTempest (207 posts) - - Show Bio
@HolySerpent said: 
Why does mutants get hated on while the metahumans get praised. Both groups have bad apples.
The Mutant "species" are hated because of Magneto. Remember all Heroes were praised until Magneto started the war against humans, and then until then, Apocalypse was moved by the cause and effect of Magneto which started Apocalypse's long years of prep to start rolling and then made everything even more worst.
#38 Edited by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99 said:

@OmegaDynasty: But mutants(think of X-Men) are treated like Nazis, because there are more?It just doesn't make sense to me.

(not trying to insult anyone just confused)

It all has to due with the perception within the universes, DC's citizens almost completely trust there various heroes.

And Metahumans genes don't necessarily have to be a result of an outside event, sometime it's active upon birth.(Although it's extremely rare occurrence)

#39 Posted by majestic99 (8638 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedOwl_1 said:

You can become a metahuman by x reason in any moment of your life but mutants born that way

That still doesn't make sense. Whether you're born with powers and or get it from an outside source, you still could be viewed as a threat by humanity, because you have abilities that humans either don't have and want or powers that make humans seem insignificant.

#40 Edited by thephantomstranger (129 posts) - - Show Bio

mutants = allegory for racism target, metahuman = allegory for greek gods (mostly)

#41 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7689 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicMan24 said:

The term "metahuman" in DC is used not only to describe those who got their powers because they were born with a metagene (ex. Black Canary, btw does she still have her Canary Cry in the DCnU?) but it is also used as a more generic term for superpowered beings regardless of their origins. For example Superman and Zatanna would still be called metahumans despite the one being an alien and the other a Homo Magi. Now in Marvel a mutant is someone who got his powers because he was born with an X-Gene. All the others in Marvel that got their powers through external means like the Hulk for example are called mutates. So basically you could say that it is the same thing at least for one of the meanings for "metahuman" but I suppose that DC didn't want to use the term "mutant" since it is closely associated with Marvel and the X-Men.

Yeah Metahumans is anyone with powers no matter how they got it or if they're human or not.

#42 Posted by tron_bonne (2286 posts) - - Show Bio

My definitions that distinct the two or rather all are:

Metahuman: Human's enhanced technologically

Super Human: Humans greatly enhanced by extraordinary means

Inhumans: Humans born with extraordinary abilities

Mutants: Human born with extraordinary abilities that have an X-Gene -___-;