Murtagh Morzansson Respect Thread

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By TheVivas

Since I recently finished a respect thread for Eragon, I might as well do one for his half brother. Murtagh has pretty much been nonexistent on the Vine since I've been here, so this would do well do help get him some recognition. He's a cool character who's been dealt a troublesome hand in life, but he did his best with the circumstances he was in and ended up not that bad.

So here it is, respect for the son of the strongest of the Forsworn, half-brother to the hero Eragon, and "member" of the new order of Dragon Riders.

A lot of Murtagh's stuff in here is in reference to Eragon, so here's his respect thread:

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/thevivas/blog/eragon-shadeslayer-respect-thread-completed-4-15-1/103365/

As with Eragon, the movie messed up Murtagh's appearance, so I'll give a description:

The stranger, dressed in battered clothes, exuded a calm, assured air.

[...]

His serious face and fierce eyes were framed by locks of brown hair. He appeared to be a few years older than Eragon and perhaps an inch or so taller.

Source: Eragon

Accolades

Orik tells Eragon that only him and the elves are strong enough to defeat Murtagh:

"Aye, you're the only one besides the elves strong enough to bring this foul murderer to justice."

Source: Eldest

During the recounting of his first battle with Murtagh, Eragon says he had "extraordinary powers":

Then he proceeded to describe his and Saphira's fight with Thorn and the mysterious Rider, paying special attention to his extraordinary powers.

Even after his training with Oromis, Nasuada still considers Murtagh stronger than Eragon:

"We may have held our own today, but the Empire still far outnumbers us, and now we face not one but two Riders, both of whom are stronger than you, Eragon."

Nasuada states that Murtagh and Thorn have powers beyond that of ordinary Riders:

"Eragon said you were among the strongest spellcasters of your race, but do you really have the wherewithal to thwart that accursed pair? Like Galbatorix, they have powers far beyond those of ordinary Riders."

Source: Brisingr

Eragon calls Murtagh more powerful than he is while talking to Oromis:

"Do you also know why Murtagh is so powerful . . . more powerful than I am?"

Arya tells Eragon that Murtagh still might be stronger than him even with the combined efforts of twelve of the strongest elven spellcasters, along with herself:

He may yet be stronger than you, even with the thirteen of us lending our strength. We do not know. It is better not to test yourself against him until there is no other alternative.

Eragon tells Saphira that they were only able to overcome Murtagh and Thorn in their second bout with the help of thirteen other elves:

When will we be able to defeat our enemies on our own? I couldn't have killed Durza if Arya hadn't broken the star sapphire. And we were only able to prevail over Murtagh and Thorn with the help of Arya and twelve others.

Eragon and Saphira, with the help of the elven spelllcasters, are the only ones that can prevent Murtagh and Thorn from wiping out the whole of the Varden:

"What about Murtagh and Thorn? When they return, as they surely will, Saphira and I are the only ones who can hold our own against them, albeit with some assistance. If we are not here, no one will be able to stop them from killing you or Arya or Orrin or the rest of the Varden."

Galbatorix has bestowed vast amounts of power onto Murtagh:

"And I fear that when we again face Thorn and Murtagh, Murtagh will be even stronger than before, and frost coats my bones when I consider the fact that Galbatorix's abilities far exceed Murtagh's, despite the vast amount of power he has already bestowed upon my brother."

Carn, another spellcaster, states that the only magicians in the land that Eragon has to worry about are Murtagh and Galbatorix:

Carn sighed. "I wish I could. Your cousin might be able to, for Murtagh and Galbatorix are the only spellcasters Eragon need fear . . .

Eragon tells Oromis that Murtagh is stronger than any human should be:

"The two times we have fought Murtagh and Thorn, Murtagh has been more powerful than any human ought to be."

Nasuada tells Eragon that she doesn't want him fighting Murtagh head-on, even with the aid of the elven spellcasters:

"I won't risk letting you face them and Murtagh head-on in battle, not even with Blodhgarm's spellcasters by your side."

Source: Inheritance

While talking to Glaedr, Arya tells him that their enemies (Murtagh and Galbatorix) are extremely deadly:

Ebrithil, said Arya, he is right. Our enemies are deadly in the extreme.

Eragon believes that the only way the elven spellcasters would die would be to fall in battle against either Murtagh and the king himself, a further testament to Murtagh's power:

Wyrden and Blodhgarm and the rest of their cohort were so accomplished, Eragon had believed that the only way they were likely to die was while fighting either Galbatorix or Murtagh.

King Orrin gets mad at Eragon because he can't even best Murtagh, who has been a Rider for about half as long as Eragon:

"Blast it, Shadeslayer, you're not even a match for your own brother, and he's been a Rider for less time than you!"

Roran says that Eragon and Murtagh and too powerful for any normal person to beat, and says he is but an ant to them:

"You and Murtagh and Galbatorix----you're too powerful for any normal person to defeat. It's not right. It's not fair. But so it is. The rest of us are like ants under your boots."

Before journeying to the Vault of Souls, Eragon isn't strong enough to beat Murtagh:

He did not have the strength to go up against Murtagh, much less the king, and it seemed unlikely in the extreme that he could think of a way around either of their wards.

Murtagh is stronger than Eragon before the battle of Uru'baen:

Murtagh was stronger than Eragon now.

Glaedr calls Murtagh and Thorn's actions admirable after their clash with Galbatorix:

Yours has always been a hard path, since each of you hatched. But today you showed that your misfortunes have not broken you. You turned against Galbatorix when it might have gained you only pain, and by it you allowed Eragon to kill him. Today you and Thorn proved yourselves worthy of being Shur'tugal in full, though you never had the proper instruction or guidance. That is . . . admirable.

Tracking/Hunting/Survival Skills

Murtagh could talk to Eragon for hours about archery and hunting:

Eragon was pleased to find that he and Murtagh shared many of the same interests; they spent hours debating the finer points of archery and hunting.

Murtagh had tracked the Ra'zac for awhile before coming to the aid of Eragon:

"You aren't the only enemies the Ra'zac have. I was tracking them."

[...]

"As for my rescuing you, I will admit that I've heard whispered tales of a new Rider and reasoned that by following the Ra'zac I might discover if they were true."

Saphira tells Eragon that if it was a choice between him and Murtahg as to who should be captured by the Empire, it should be Murtagh since he would be the more likely to escape and/or survive:

And Murtagh's right; if anyone is to risk capture it should be him, because he would live through it.

Murtagh was the first person to survive and pass certain tests laid before him by Galbatorix:

"Of all the candidates I have examined, Murtagh was the first I considered eligible and the first to survive the tests I set before him."

Intelligence

Murtagh knows about the politics of the Empire:

Eragon was intrigued by Murtagh's familiarity with the power struggles and politics within the Empire. He seemed to know what every noble and courtier was doing and how it affected everyone else.

Before he became a Rider, Murtagh knew a lot about how magic worked:

With his return to health, Eragon also resumed practicing magic. Murtagh was curious about it and soon revealed that he knew a surprising amount about how it worked, though he lacked the precise details and could not use it himself.

Murtagh knows a lot about the Hadarac Desert:

"It's filled with poisonous and inedible plants, venomous snakes, scorpions, and a blistering sun. You saw the great plain on our way to Gil'ead?"

It was a rhetorical question, but Eragon answered anyway, "Yes, and once before."

"Then you are familiar with its immense range. It fills the heart of the Empire. Now imagine something two or three times its size, and you'll understand the vastness of the Hadarac Desert."

According to Nasuada, Murtagh is smart and well educated:

Despite their unpleasant circumstances, she found that she enjoyed speaking with him. He was smart and well educated, and he had a mordant wit that she appreciated, especially given her current predicament.

Telepathy and TP Resistance

Being a Dragon Rider gives Murtagh the power of telepathy, as it's his only way to talk to his dragon. He hasn't had the exact training as Eragon, but he should more than likely be able to stretch out his mind to locate and sense other beings.

Murtagh has been trained to protect his mind against telepathic probes, which takes great practice and training:

Eragon remembered how Brom had sensed Trevor's intentions in Daret and wondered if he could do the same with Murtagh. He reached for Murtagh's consciousness, but his probe abruptly ran into an iron-hard wall, which he tried to circumvent. Murtagh's entire mind was fortified. How did he learn to do that? Brom said that few people, if any, could keep others out of their mind without training. So who is Murtagh to have this ability?

Murtagh manages to keep one of The Twins, two powerful magicians, out of his mind:

The bald man's breath exploded angrily. "You don't have a choice!" He stepped forward and placed his palm on Murtagh's brow, clenching his hand to hold him in place. Murtagh stiffened, face growing as hard as iron, fists clenched, neck muscles bulging. He was obviously fighting the attack with all his strength. The bald man bared his teeth with fury and frustration at the resistance; his fingers dug mercilessly into Murtagh.

[...]

"Did he get anything from you?"

"No."

"How were you able to keep him out? He's so strong."

"I've . . . I've been well trained."

Possibly amped by Eldunari, Murtagh mentally defends himself against Eragon and Saphira's combined telepathic attack, then attacks him with a force greater than what Eragon's own teacher could produce:

Then as one, she and Eragon assaulted the minds of the pair, seeking to overwhelm their defenses. The consciousness of the Rider felt strange to Eragon, as if it contained multitudes; scores of distinct voices whispered in the caverns of his mind, like imprisoned spirits begging for release.

The instant they made contact, the Rider retaliated with a blast of pure force greater than any even Oromis was capable of summoning. Eragon retreated deep behind his own barriers, frantically reciting a scrap of doggerel Oromis taught him to use in such predicaments:

Under a cold and empty winter sky

Stood a wee, small man with a silver sword.

He jumped and stabbed in a fevered frenzy,

Fighting the shadows massed before him . . .

The siege on Eragon's mind abated as Saphira and the red dragon crashed together, two incandescent meteors colliding head-on.

Even though he sees them at a far distance, Eragon closes his mind and throws himself in a ditch at the mere sight of Thorn flying, for fear of Murtagh sensing his presence:

The previous evening, he had even spotted Thorn riding low on the western horizon. He had immediately shielded his mind, thrown himself into a ditch, and stayed there for half an hour, until Thorn dipped back down below the edge of the world.

Murtagh sends information about where the dragon egg and Eldunari are in Galbatorix's castle to Arya and Eragon telepathically:

"Wait!" cried Arya, and she leaped down from Saphira and ran over to Murtagh. "Where is the egg? And the Eldunari? We can't leave them!"

Murtagh frowned, and Eragon felt the information pass between him and Arya.

Glaedr admits that, with all Murtagh's Eldunari, him, Eragon, Saphira, and the twelve elven spellcasters couldn't take over their minds:

If Murtagh and Thorn were by themselves, I might easily overcome their minds. However, Galbatorix has given them too many Eldunari for me to do that. Even with Eragon, Saphira, and the elves to help, victory would be no sure thing.

Magic

Description of how magic works in the Eragon universe:

"This magic----for it is magic----has rules like the rest of the world. If you break the rules, the penalty is death, without exception. Your deeds are limited by your strength, the words you know, and your imagination."

[...]

"Brisingr is from an ancient language that all living things used to speak. However, it was forgotten over time and went unspoken for eons in Alagaesia, until the elves brought it back over the sea. They taught it to the other races, who used it for making and doing powerful things. The language has a name for everything, if you can find it."

"But what does that have to do with magic?" interrupted Eragon.

"Everything! It is the basis for all power. The language describes the true nature of things, not the superficial aspects that everyone sees. For example, fire is called brisingr. Not only is that a name for fire, it is the name for fire. If you are strong enough, you can use brisingr to direct fire to do whatever you will. And that is what happened today."

Eragon thought about it for a moment. "Why was the fire blue? How come it did exactly what I wanted, if all I said was fire?"

"The color varies from person to person. It depends on who says the word. As to why the fire did what you wanted, that's a matter of practice. Most beginners have to spell out exactly what they want to happen. As they gain more experience, it isn't as necessary. A true master could just say water and create something totally unrelated, like a gemstone. You wouldn't be able to understand how he had done it, but the master would have seen the connection between water and the gem and would have used that as the focal point for his power. The practice is more of an art than anything else."

[...]

Brom took a deep breath and said, "To work with magic, you must have a certain innate power, which is very rare among people nowadays. You also have to be able to summon this power at will. Once it is called upon, you have to use it or let it fade away. Understood? Now, if you wish to employ this power, you must utter the word or phrase of the ancient language that describes your intent."

Info about the true name of the ancient language:

"It would be a word of incredible power, something by which you could control the entire language and those who use it."

Murtagh knows the true name of the ancient language, and uses it to strip Galbatorix of his wards, some that have been in place for almost a hundred years:

Then Murtagh pushed Eragon aside, and he rose up on his knees, still clutching his belly. He looked at Galbatorix. And he shouted the Word.

Galbatorix recoiled and lifted a hand, as if to shield himself.

The air around Galbatorix flashed red and black, and for an instant, his body appeared to be wreathed in flames. There was a sound like that of a high summer wind stirring the branches of an evergreen forest. Then Eragon heard a series of thin shrieks as twelve orbs of light appeared around Galbatorix's head and fled outward from him and passed through the walls of the chamber and thus vanished. They looked like spirits, but Eragon saw them for such a brief span, he could not be certain.

[...]

"I stripped him of his wards!" shouted Murtagh.

Murtagh is stronger than his father Morzan, who in turn was the strongest of the Forsworn:

A strange gleam leaped into Murtagh's eyes. "No, not my father. I'm stronger than Morzan ever was."

Galbatorix calls Murtagh an apt student with the talents of his father:

"Murtagh was somewhat reluctant when he first entered my service, but he has since proven to be a most apt student. He has his father's talents."

In their second encounter, Eragon is only able to defeat Murtagh with the help of twelve of the strongest elven spellcasters in the land. The fact that they were only able to overcome Murtagh with the help of Eragon, Saphira, and Glaedr proves that Murtagh is at least as strong as three Dragon Riders.

Here's the strength of the spellcasters:

Nasuada was surprised. "Eragon said you were among the strongest spellcasters of your race, but do you really have the wherewithal to thwart that accursed pair? Like Galbatorix, they have powers far beyond those of ordinary Riders."

[...]

"Even three of the Forsworn could not conquer the twelve of us and a dragon."

Murtagh kills the Dwarf King Hrothgar by firing a blast of ruby energy at him, overpowering his dwarven spellcasters and killing them too:

Then the man in steel raised his left hand and a shaft of crackling ruby energy sprang from his palm and smote Hrothgar on the breast. The dwarf spellcasters cried out with agony as the energy from their bodies was consumed trying to block the attack. They collapsed, dead, then Hrothgar clutched his heart and toppled to the ground. The dwarves gave a great groan of despair as they saw their king fall.

Murtagh creates a ball of air and uses it to send Eragon flying twenty feet back:

Murtagh grinned. Then he said, "Thrysta vindr," and a hard ball of air coalesced between them and struck Eragon in the middle of his chest, tossing him twenty feet across the plateau.

Wards

Murtagh's wards protect him and Thorn from Saphira's fire:

Once she halted her descent, Saphira reared her head, like a snake about to strike, and loosed a thick torrent of fire.

It never reached its destination; twelve feet from the red dragon, the fire bifurcated and passed harmlessly on either side.

They protect him from Thorn crashing on top of him:

They landed with a crash that split paving stones and jarred the nearby houses. Something cracked in Thorn's left wing-shoulder, and his back arched unnaturally as Murtagh's wards kept the dragon from crushing him flat.

They protect him from Nasuada's kick:

Before they reached her, Eragon heard a muffled scream. He turned and, to his horror, saw Murtagh striding out of the pavilion, dragging Nasuada by her wrists.

Nasuada's hair was disheveled. A nasty scratch marred one of her cheeks, and her yellow dressing gown was torn in several places. She kicked at Murtagh's knee, but her heel bounced off a ward, leaving Murtagh untouched.

Murtagh can put wards over others as well:

Seeing Saphira in danger only reinforced Eragon's determination. He increased the speed with which he spoke, chanting the words of the ancient language as quickly as he could without mispronunciation. But no matter what he tried, neither his spells nor Arya's had any effect on the soldiers.

Then Murtagh's voice boomed out of the sky, like the voice of a cloud-scraping giant: "Those men are under my protection, Brother!"

Amped by Eldunari, Murtagh restrains both Eragon and Saphira. Eragon would later try to use a spell to escape, but fail:

Renewing his attack on Murtagh's mind, he leaped forward, both feet leaving the ground as he lunged toward Murtagh, intending to stab him through the heart.

"Letta!" barked Murtagh.

Eragon dropped back to the ground as invisible bands clamped around his arms and legs, immobilizing him. To his right, Saphira discharged a jet of rippling fire and sprang at Murtagh like a cat pouncing on a mouse.

"Risa!" commanded Murtagh, extending a clawlike hand as if to catch her.

Saphira yelped with surprise as Murtagh's incantation stopped her in midair and held her in place, floating several feet above the plateau. No matter how much she wriggled, she could not touch the ground, nor could she fly any higher.

How can he still be human and have the strength to do that? wondered Eragon. Even with my new abilities, such a task would leave me gasping for air and unable to walk.

"You cannot hope to compete with me," said Murtagh. "No one can, except for Galbatorix."

Murtagh heals a large gash on Thorn's leg in a few seconds:

The enemy Rider unbuckled his legs and slid down the uninjured side of his dragon. Then he walked around the dragon and examined his leg. Eragon let him; he knew how much pain it would cause the man to see the damage inflicted on his bonded partner. He waited too long, though, for the Rider muttered a few indecipherable words, and within the span of three seconds the dragon's injury was healed.

Eragon shivered in fear. How could he do that so quickly, and with such a short spell?

Murtagh heals his and Thorn's injuries:

As he worked, he kept an eye on Murtagh----watched as Murtagh healed his gut wound, Thorn's broken wing, and the dragon's other injuries.

Galbatorix has taught Murtagh words and spells that were thought to be lost and ones so powerful the elves don't dare use them:

"Galbatorix taught me things about magic you've never even dreamed of . . . . Spells so powerful, the elves dare not utter them, cowards that they are. Words in the ancient language that were lost until Galbatorix discovered them. Ways to manipulate energy . . . Secrets, terrible secrets, that can destroy your enemies and fulfill all your desires."

Murtagh can imbue items with spells so that he can use them at a later time without having to resort to his own magical reserves. Here, he uses an item that he imbued with a healing spell to heal Thorn's broken wing:

Eragon watched from above as Murtagh removed a small round object from his belt and pressed it against Thorn's shoulder. Eragon sensed no surge of magic from Murtagh, but the object in his hand flared and Thorn's broken wing jerked as his bones snapped back in place and muscles and tendons rippled and the tears in them vanished. Lastly, the wounds in Thorn's hide sealed over.

How did he do that? Eragon exclaimed.

Arya answered, He must have imbued the item with a spell of healing beforehand.

Murtagh can enhance his voice with magic:

"Is that the best you can do?" Murtagh shouted with a magically enhanced voice from within the ever-shifting cocoon of fire.

With more than half of a building on top of him and Thorn, Murtagh used magic to prevent the rubble from crushing the two of them, as well as protect them from the heat Saphira was firing at them:

Flames were easy to deflect with magic, but deflecting actual heat required greater effort and energy. By forcing Murtagh to expend even more of his strength to keep Thorn and himself from being squished, she hoped to deplete his reserves enough that Eragon and the two-legs-pointed-ears might have a chance of defeating him.

Murtagh casts a spell so that no one can hear him and Nasuada talking in her cell:

"Does Galbatorix know where you are?"

"He might, but I doubt it. He's busy playing with his favorite concubines. That, or he's asleep. It's the middle of the night right now. Besides, I cast a spell to keep anyone fro listening to us."

Murtagh casts a spell on Nasuada to protect her from most of the pain she would receive from being tortured by Galbatorix:

Without answering, Murtagh extended his right arm and placed his hand upon the upper part of her chest, his palm hot against her skin. Her breath hitched at the shock of the contact.

Then, hardly louder than a whisper, he began to speak in the ancient language. As the strange words stumbled from his lips, her fear grew ever stronger.

He spoke for what seemed like minutes. She felt no different when he stopped, but that was neither a favorable nor unfavorable sign where magic was concerned.

[...]

"That should shield you from the pain of most any wound, but you'll have to pretend otherwise, or Galbatorix will discover what I've done."

Using the Name of Names, Murtagh breaks enchanted manacles:

A hand gripped his arm, and he turned to see Murtagh standing behind him, one arm pressed against the wound in his stomach. "Move aside," he growled. Eragon did, and Murtagh spoke the name of all names, as he had before, as well as jierda, and the iron cuffs opened and fell from Nasuada's limbs.

Swordsmanship

Eragon considers Murtagh a better swordsman than himself:

In spite of the wounds he gave Murtagh, Eragon began to suspect that, of the two of them, Murtagh was the better swordsman. Not by much, but enough that Eragon was never really able to gain the upper hand.

Murtagh has studied swordplay his whole life:

"I've studied swordplay all my life, but never have I fought one like you."

Eragon calls Murtagh a deadly swordsman:

Though he had trained with a master of the blade, Brom, and with Murtagh, who was also a deadly swordsman, he had never been this outclassed.

Eragon also calls Murtagh an excellent and merciless fighter before the latter even became a Rider:

Eragon nodded in welcome, relaxing his grip. Murtagh was an excellent and merciless fighter----exactly whom Eragon wanted by his side during battle.

Saphira tells Eragon that few can match him and Murtagh with a blade:

You know as well as I do that few can equal you or Murtagh with the blade.

Before the Blood Oath Celebration, Murtagh was the only human who could match Eragon's skill with a blade:

Murtagh had been the only human who matched Eragon's skill with a sword, at least before the Agaeti Blodhren.

Murtagh has more technical skill than Vanir, one of, if not the, most skilled elven duelists in Du Weldenvarden, and is able to match Eragon in skill, a swordsman prodigy:

The Rider did not have the speed and strength of an elf, but his technical skill was better than Vanir's and as good as Eragon's.

Murtagh spars evenly with Eragon, who had previously defeated Brom, an ex-Rider, with his off hand:

Eragon safed Zar'roc, settled into a crouch, then swung at Murtagh's shoulder. Their swords met in midair. Eragon disengaged with a flourish, thrust, and then riposted as Murtagh parried, dancing away.

He's fast! thought Eragon.

They struggled back and forth, trying to batter each other down. After a particularly intense series of blows, Murtagh started laughing. Not only was it impossible for either of them to gain an advantage, but they were so evenly matched that they tired at the same rate. Acknowledging with grins each other's skill, they fought on until their arms were leaden and sweat poured off their sides.

Finally Eragon called, "Enough, halt!" Murtagh stopped in midblow and sat down with a gasp. Eragon staggered to the ground, his chest heaving. None of his fights with Brom had been this fierce.

Murtagh holds off Eragon, even though Eragon now has the speed and strength of an elf:

The Rider grasped his sword with both hands and swung it over his head toward Eragon, who lifted Zar'roc to defend himself. Their blades collided with a burst of crimson sparks. Then Eragon shoved back his opponent and started a complex series of blows. He stabbed and parried, dancing on light feet as he forced the steel-clad Rider to retreat toward the edge of the plateau.

When they reached the edge, the Rider held his ground, fending off Eragon's attacks, no mater how clever. It's as if he can anticipate my every move, thought Eragon, frustrated. If he were rested, it would have been easy for him to defeat the Rider, but as it was, he could make no headway. The Rider did not have the speed and strength of an elf, but his technical skill was better than Vanir's and as good as Eragon's.

Eragon felt a touch of panic when his initial surge of energy began to subside and he had accomplished nothing more than a slight scratch across the Rider's gleaming breastplate. The last reserves of power stored in Zar'roc's ruby and the belt of Beloth the Wise were only enough to maintain his exertions for another minute. Then the Rider took a step forward. Then another. And before Eragon knew it, they had returned to the center of the plateau, where they stood facing each other, exchanging blows.

Zar'roc grew so heavy in his hand, Eragon could barely lift it. His shoulder burned, he gasped for breath, and sweat poured off his face. Not even his desire to avenge Hrothgar could help him to overcome his exhaustion.

At last Eragon slipped and fell. Determined not to be killed lying down, he rolled back onto his feet and stabbed at the Rider, who knocked aside Zar'roc with a lazy flick of his wrist.

Murtagh duels with Eragon numerous times, out dueling him more often than not. The duel was set up by Galbatorix where both Eragon and Murtagh were stripped of their wards but every time they were about to make a kill strike, Galbatorix would stop them. After a long time fighting, both Eragon and Murtagh lost the wards on their shields and were soon left to fight without them, where Murtagh proved to knick Eragon more than he was knicked in return, and Eragon even noted that Murtagh was the better swordsman:

Murtagh lunged toward him, swinging Zar'roc at his gut, and Eragon skipped backward, barely parrying the red sword.

Eragon replied with a looping, overhead blow----he allowed his hand to slide down to Brisingr's pommel to give himself more reach----and Murtagh danced out of the way.

[...]

Murtagh feinted with his left shoulder, and Eragon ducked behind his shield. An instant later, he realized that it had been a ruse and that Murtagh was moving around toward his right in an attempt to get past his guard.

Eragon twisted and saw Zar'roc arcing toward his neck, the edge a glittering, wire-thin line. He knocked it aside with a clumsy push of Brisingr's crossguard. Then he retaliated with a quick slash at Murtagh's lower arm. To his grim delight, he struck Murtagh on the side of his wrist. Brisingr failed to cut through Murtagh's gauntlet and the sleeve of the tunic beneath, but the impact still hurt Murtagh and pushed his arm away from his body, leaving his chest exposed.

Eragon stabbed, and Murtagh used his shield to deflect the attack. Three more times Eragon stabbed, but Murtagh stopped each blow, and when Eragon drew back his arm to strike again, Murtagh countered with a backhanded cut at his knee, which would have crippled him had it landed.

Seeing what Murtagh intended, Eragon altered his swing and stopped Zar'roc an inch from his leg. Then he countered with a cut of his own.

For several minutes, they exchanged blows, trying to disrupt each other's rhythms, but to no avail. They knew each other too well. Whatever Eragon attempted, Murtagh was able to thwart, and the same was true in reverse. It was like a game where they both had to think many moves in advance, which fostered a certain sense of intimacy as Eragon focused on divining the inner workings of Murtagh's mind and, from them, predicting what Murtagh would do next.

Right from the beginning, Eragon noticed that Murtagh was playing the game differently than the previous times they'd fought. He attacked with a ruthlessness that heretofore had been lacking, as if, for the first time, he wanted to defeat Eragon, and quickly too. Moreover, after his initial outburst, his anger seemed to vanish, and he displayed only a cool, implacable determination.

Eragon found himself fighting to the limit of his abilities, and though he was able to hold Murtagh off, he ended up on the defensive more than he would have liked.

After a while, Murtagh lowered his sword and turned toward the throne and Galbatorix.

Eragon kept his guard up, but he hesitated, unsure whether it was appropriate to attack.

In that moment of hesitation, Murtagh leaped toward him. Eragon stood his ground and swung. Murtagh caught the blow on his shield, and then, instead of following up with a strike of his own as Eragonexpected, he slammed his shield against Eragon's and pushed.

Eragon growled and pushed back. He would have reached around his shield to slash at Murtagh's back, but Murtagh was shoving too hard for Eragon to risk it. Murtagh was an inch or two taller, and the extra weight allowed him to bear down on Eragon's shield in a way that made it difficult for Eragon to keep from sliding back across the polished stone floor.

At last, with a roar and a mighty heave, Murtagh sent Eragon stumbling away. As Eragon flailed and struggled to regain his balance, Murtagh stabbed at his neck.

"Letta!" said Galbatorix.

The tip of Zar'roc stopped less than a finger's-breadth from Eragon's skin. He froze, panting, not sure what had just happened.

[...]

They fought for what felt like hours. Murtagh did not attempt any more killing blows, whereas Eragon----to his satisfaction----succeeded in touching Murtagh on the collarbone, although he stopped the blow before Galbatorix saw fit to do so himself.

[...]

The first wound was a cut Murtagh gave Eragon on his right thigh, in the gap between the edge of his hauberk and the upper part of his greave. It was a shallow cut, but exceedingly painful, and every time Eragon put weight on the leg, blood surged from the wound.

The second wound was also Eragon's: a gash above one eyebrow after Murtagh landed a blow upon his helm and the edge of it drove into his flesh. Of the two wounds, Eragon found the second one by far the most aggravating, because blood kept dripping into his eye, obscuring his vision.

Then Eragon caught Murtagh on the wrist again and, this time, sliced all the way through the cuff of his gauntlet, the sleeve of his tunic, and a thin layer of skin to the bone beneath. He failed to sever any muscles, but the wound seemed to pain Murtagh a great deal, and the blood that seeped into his gauntlet caused him to lose his grip at least twice.

Eragon took a nick to his right calf, and then----when Murtagh was still recovering from a failed attack----he moved around to Murtagh's shield side and brought down Brisingr as hard as he could upon the middle of Murtagh's left greave, denting, denting the steel.

Murtagh howled and jumped back on one leg. Eragon followed, swinging Brisingr in an attempt to batter him to the floor. Despite his injury, Murtagh was able to defend himself, and a few seconds later, Eragon was the one who was hard-pressed to remain on his feet.

For a time, their shields resisted the relentless pounding----Galbatorix, Eragon was pleased to realize, had left intact the enchantments upon their swords and armor----but then the spells on Eragon's shield gave way, as did those on Murtagh's, which was apparent from the chips and splinters that flew every time theur swords landed. Soon afterward, Eragon cracked Murtagh's shield with a particularly heavy blow. His victory was short-lived, for Murtagh grasped Zar'roc with both hands and struck at Eragon's own shield twice in quick succession, and it split as well, leaving them equally matched once again.

[...]

Without their shields, Eragon found it easier to land blows upon Murtagh----mainly upon his arms and legs----even as it was easier for Murtagh to do the same to him. For the most part, their armor protected them from cuts, but it did not protect them from lumps and bruises, of which they accrued many.

In spite of the wounds he gave Murtagh, Eragon began to suspect that, of the two of them, Murtagh was the better swordsman. Not by much, but enough that Eragon was never really able to gain the upper hand. If the course of their duel continued, Murtagh would end up wearing him down until he was too hurt or too tired to go on, an outcome that seemed to be fast approaching.

Speed

Murtagh takes down three soldiers before the other three have time to figure out what's going on:

As Eragon opened his mouth to pronounce the fatal words, there was a low buzz, a flicker of motion. One of the men crashed to the floor with an arrow in his back. Two more were struck before anyone understood what was happening.

Eragon is surprised that Murtagh is as fast as him, even after he gained the physicals of an elf:

I suppose I should have expected it, but it still surprised me that Murtagh was as fast as me. More magic on the part of Galbatorix, no doubt.

Murtagh swings Zar'roc with inordinate speed:

His reaction was so unexpected, Eragon faltered, then barely had time to recoil and parry as Murtagh retaliated, swinging Zar'roc at him, the blade humming through the air with inordinate speed.

Murtagh manages to block Eragon's sword slash, and in turn manages to get past his guard and stab him in his left hip:

Eragon leaned over and slashed crosswire at Murtagh's right shoulder, not intending to kill him but rather to injure him severely enough to end the fight. Unlike during their clash over the Burning Plains, Eragon was well rested; with his arm as fast as an elf's, he was confident Murtagh would be defenseless before him.

Murtagh lifted his shield and blocked the falchion.

His reaction was so unexpected, Eragon faltered, then barely had time to recoil and parry as Murtagh retaliated, swinging Zar'roc at him, the blade humming through the air with inordinate speed. The stroke jarred Eragon's shoulder. Pressing the attack, Murtagh struck at Eragon's wrist and then, when Eragon dashed aside Zar'roc, thrust underneath Eragon's shield and stabbed through the fringe of his mail hauberk and his tunic and the waist of his breeches and into his left hip. The tip of Zar'roc embedded itself in bone.

Murtagh is as fast as Eragon or any other elf:

From their exchange, it was obvious that Murtagh was still as fast and as strong as Eragon----or an elf.

Gear

When he first met Eragon, Murtagh had a regular bow, a hand-and-a-half sword, a white horn, and a knife:

In his hands was a bow, at his side a long hand-and-a-half sword. A white horn bound with silver fittings lay in his lap, and the hilt of a dagger protruded from his boot.

Almost all of the gear above was of the finest make:

His sword and bow were of the finest make, as was his horn.

After the battle of the Burning Plains, Murtagh takes Zar'roc as his own sword and inheritance, since it was his father's blade:

He got up, brought his pack over to the fire, and pulled out a long object wrapped in cloth. It was about three and a half feet long and, from the way he handled it, rather heavy.

He peeled away the cloth, strip by strip, like a mummy being unswathed. Eragon gazed, transfixed, as a sword was revealed. The gold pommel was teardrop shaped with the sides cut away to reveal a ruby the size of a small egg. The hilt was wrapped in silver wire, burnished until it gleamed like starlight. The sheath was wine red and smooth as glass, adorned solely by a strange black symbol etched into it.

[...]

The flat blade was iridescent red and shimmered in the firelight. The keen edges curved gracefully to a sharp point. A duplicate of the black symbol was inscribed on the metal. The balance of the sword was perfect; it felt like an extension of his arm, unlike the rude farm tools he was used to. An air of power lay over it, as if an unstoppable force resided in its core. It had been created for the violent convulsions of battle, to end men's lives, yet it held a terrible beauty.

"This was once a Rider's blade," said Brom gravely. "When a Rider finished his training, the elves would present him with a sword. Their methods of forging have always remained secret. However, their swords are eternally sharp and will never stain.

Reaching out, Murtagh pried Zar'roc from Eragon's fist and unbuckled Zar'roc's red sheath from the belt of Beloth the Wise. "If I have become my father, then I will have my father's blade. Thorn is my dragon, and a thorn he shall be to all our enemies. It is only right, then, that I should also wield the sword Misery. Misery and Thorn, a fit match. Besides, Zar'roc should have gone to Morzan's eldest son, not his youngest. It is mine by right of birth."

Murtagh's battle armor:

On his back was fixed a saddle, and in that saddle sat a man garbed in polished steel armor and armed with a hand-and-a-half sword.

Eldunari description:

Unlike with most creatures, he said, a dragon's consciousness does not reside solely within our skulls. There is in our chests a hard, gemlike object, similar in composition to our scales, called the Eldunari, which means "the heart of hearts." When a dragon hatches, their Eldunari is clear and lusterless. Usually it remains so all through a dragon's life and dissolves along with the dragon's corpse when they die. However, if we wish, we can transfer our consciousness into the Eldunari. Then it will acquire the same color as our scales and begin to glow like a coal. If a dragon has done this, the Eldunari will outlast the decay of their flesh, and a dragon's essence may live on indefinitely. Also, a dragon can disgorge their Eldunari while they are still alive. By this means, a dragon's body and a dragon's consciousness can exist separately and yet still be linked, which can be most useful in certain circumstances. But to do this exposes us to great danger, for whosoever holds our Eldunari holds our very soul in their hands. With it, they could force us to do their bidding, no matter how vile.

[...]

Anyone who holds one of our hearts, said Glaedr, may communicate with the dragon from which it came without regard for distance. The whole of Alagaesia might separate a Rider and dragon, and yet if the Rider had with him his dragon's Eldunari, they could share thoughts as easily as you and Saphira do now.

Galbatorix has given Murtagh several of his Eldunari to use:

Thinking back to when he and Saphira had battled Murtagh and Thorn, Eragon said, "Galbatorix must have given Murtagh several Eldunari. That's the only explanation for his increase in strength."

It's not really gear, but Murtagh has a horse that was given to him when it was very young:

Behind him a gray war-horse was picketed.

[...]

"You have a beautiful horse. What's his name?"

"Tornac, after the man who taught me how to fight." Murtagh patted the horse's side. "He was given to me when he was just a foal. You'd be hard pressed to find a more courageous and intelligent animal in Alagaesia, Saphira excepted, of course."

Murtagh Quotes

"Empathy? Empathy? What empathy can I afford my enemies? Shall I dither about whether to defend myself because it will cause someone pain? If that had been the case, I would have died years ago! You must be willing to protect yourself and what you cherish, no matter what the cost."

"My life has been threatened from the day I was born! All of my waking hours have been spent avoiding danger in one form or another. And sleep never comes easily because I always worry if I'll live to see the dawn. If there ever was a time I felt secure, it must have been in my mother's womb, though I wasn't safe even there! You don't understand----if you lived with this fear, you would have learned the same lesson I did: Do not take chances."

"My mind is the one sanctuary that has not been stolen from me. Men have tried to breach it before, but I've learned to defend it vigorously, for I am only safe with my innermost thoughts."

"No stranger's life is more important than Thorn's or my own."

"If I have become my father, then I will have my father's blade. Thorn is my dragon, and a thorn he shall be to all our enemies. It is only right, then, that I should also wield the sword Misery. Misery and Thorn, a fit match."

"Let go of my anger?" Murtagh laughed. "I'll let go of my anger when you forget yours over the Empire's role in the death of your uncle and the razing of your farm. Anger defines us, Eragon, and without it, you and I would be a feast for maggots."

"We defeated you once before. It will be no great achievement to do so again."

"Dash yourselves against the walls all you want; you will never take Dras-Leona, not so long as Thorn and I are here to defend it. Send your finest warriors and magicians to fight us, and they will die, each and every one. That I promise. There isn't a man among you who can best us. Not even you . . . Brother. Run back to your hiding places before it is too late, and pray that Galbatorix does not venture forth to deal with you himself. Otherwise, death and sorrow will be your only reward."

"I wanted to strike back at Galbatorix, and I wanted to make a name for myself apart from my father's. My whole life, people have looked at me differently because I am the son of Morzan. I wanted them to respect for my deeds, not his."

"When you teach them----teach them not to fear. Fear is good in small amounts, but when it is a constant, pounding companion, it cuts away at who you are and makes it hard to do what you know is right."

Thanks for reading. Click here to view my other Respect Threads.

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Murtagh is such a badass.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_am_lightning: Hell yeah he is. I wish we had seen more of what he was capable of..

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevivas: me too.

I wonder where he went. Oh well.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mizu_no_Kuni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great work, as usual. :3

Though your description of Vanir seems to be a bit off. While he's undeniably skilled with a sword, and a skilled duelist, it'd be a bit of a stretch to actually call him "the most skilled". Since, I'm pretty sure that it was established that Arya herself had greater skill with a sword, and by consequence any of the eleven which were sent to guard Eragon.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great work, as usual. :3

Though your description of Vanir seems to be a bit off. While he's undeniably skilled with a sword, and a skilled duelist, it'd be a bit of a stretch to actually call him "the most skilled". Since, I'm pretty sure that it was established that Arya herself had greater skill with a sword, and by consequence any of the eleven which were sent to guard Eragon.

Oh pish posh. Whatever makes Murtagh sound and look better :P

No but really, I only put that in because Vanir was always at the sparring grounds I believe and always in Du Weldenvarden. Even during his duel with Eragon after he became half elf, it was said that Eragon was still only just about as skilled as him. This was the same Eragon who was touted as a talented swordsman who beat Brom with his off hand, yet he still couldn't "outskill" Vanir. And Arya and the elves in his guard were only able to best him/last with him in a fight because his style had grown sloppy fighting the regular soldiers in the Empire's army. Once he got back to his way of fighting, he would often beat Arya about the same amount as she beat him.

But I'll probably edit it so it's just "one of the most skilled duelists" instead of the most. Lol

Mizu_no_Kuni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No but really, I only put that in because Vanir was always at the sparring grounds I believe and always in Du Weldenvarden. Even during his duel with Eragon after he became half elf, it was said that Eragon was still only just about as skilled as him. This was the same Eragon who was touted as a talented swordsman who beat Brom with his off hand, yet he still couldn't "outskill" Vanir. And Arya and the elves in his guard were only able to best him/last with him in a fight because his style had grown sloppy fighting the regular soldiers in the Empire's army. Once he got back to his way of fighting, he would often beat Arya about the same amount as she beat him.

True. :P

Pretty sure that you could actually put Eragon's victory down to him having a notable edge over Vanir in terms of physical strength, instead of just sheer skill being involved. Since you have the whole "it seemed as if Vanir's reflexes were reduced to human" line of description implying that there was some difference between the two in that regard. Couple this with with the fact, this is Eragon essentially at the prime of his skill as a swordsman, than yeah. You could probably call, Vanir the most skilled duelist of the elves.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mizu_no_kuni: Well the whole "movement seemed slow" thing was because Eragon's reflexes were also increased. Lol

Mizu_no_Kuni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevivas: I know, but it implies (well at least from what I can see), that Eragon had an advantage in terms of speed, since Vanir was compared to a human, means he's at least slower than Eragon.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_red_viper  Moderator

@thevivas: great work, again! I'd love to see a respect thread for Arya or Roran, Blodhgarm would be great too since I recently found myself delving in research on him quite often. He's awesome.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: Thanks! I'm actually working on Oromis right now and am planning on doing Arya after, you know all the Dragon Riders haha. I was planning on doing one for Blodhgarm, but I'm not sure if I wanna do it for just him or make a combined respect thread for all of that group.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_red_viper  Moderator
TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers