Mr. Fantastic and Captain America's first meeting?

Brad_Dad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When did Mr. Fantastic and Captain America first meet? I'm looking for their first meeting in terms of print date in the "real world", not the current/accepted version of the story in contemporary Marvel comics.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

I'd be interested to know the answer to this question as well, though more in the context of story. These two characters are epitomes of diverging but compatible ideals: the promotion of freedom (of thought and action) and the search for truth, knowledge for its own sake, enlightenment. Not that this is likely to have any bearing on the circumstances of their first meeting. Stan Lee and Steve Ditko's The Amazing Spider-man is considered a superior comic book for a number of reasons, the most important being the prescriptive element that constitutes the philosophical heart of the work ("with great power comes great responsibility"). For prescription is the axis that great comic stories spin on. Alan Moore's Watchmen is excellent partly because it had several philosophies for the reader to consider, more like suggestions than Spider-man's imperative, all juggled beautifully. It merits research for those so inclined, but I digress.

A problem with most comics, besides the neglect of the philosophical heart (and indeed, Spider-man can hardly be said to have fully explored its themes)*, is that, by placing more emphasis on the action fantasy aspect of the story than its heart, writers fail before they begin; the form of the work precedes its intent, or the intent never arrives and the reader's time is wasted with banalities and shiny distractions that arbitrarily take the form of a comic book (in the case of Cap and Richards' first meeting, probably generic crime fighting and/or sci-fi soap opera). For bad writers, the action of the story is the end. For good writers, the action is a means to explore themes.

* This is why it's better to read philosophy than comics when one wants to explore ideas. The dressing of fantasy and allegory, and the constraints of the medium are all gone. The middle man is cut out. There are only ideas.

Brad_Dad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthmummy:

That's a cool response even if I didn't find my answer.

Brad_Dad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone's curious, the answer is Fantastic Four vol. 1, issue 26 (April 1964). It's the second part of the big-time Thing vs. Hulk rematch story from the silver-anniversary-numbered issue, and, as it happens, the Hulk's rampage past the Baxter Building begins when he discovers the Avengers have inducted Captain America as his replacement.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

@brad_dad said:

If anyone's curious, the answer is Fantastic Four vol. 1, issue 26 (April 1964). It's the second part of the big-time Thing vs. Hulk rematch story from the silver-anniversary-numbered issue, and, as it happens, the Hulk's rampage past the Baxter Building begins when he discovers the Avengers have inducted Captain America as his replacement.