#1 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

so here is the deal; i have an idea for another character im about to start writing but they have a very familiar powerset. so just to give myself an idea and to aid in the decision making to change their power,what would you say is the most over used power in comics?

#2 Edited by WestfriesianMan (201 posts) - - Show Bio

Super strength

#3 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (4661 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Edited by The_Imperator (1709 posts) - - Show Bio

Overused isn't bad. Just try to spin it in a specific way. So don't have Superman's powerset, but maybe have just part of it, such as flight, or strength, or laser vision, etc. And then take time to fully develop it, looking at all the ways the power would interact with daily life.

With that said, strength and durability and flight probably top the charts.

#5 Edited by Squares (3097 posts) - - Show Bio

Durability is probably the most common one I can think of.

#6 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

Regeneration

#7 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

such varied responses lol

#8 Posted by JediXMan (27903 posts) - - Show Bio

Strength. It's boring.

#9 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

i think i may have to change the character

#10 Posted by judasnixon (5423 posts) - - Show Bio

Energy Blasts....... Buy a laser gun.

#11 Edited by Wolverine08 (26232 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: You don't have to change the character. If you just creatively use their powers in different situations, the story will be fun regardless of common the character's powers are.

#12 Posted by jumpstart55 (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

Super Strength

Enhanced Regeneration

Martial Arts Mastery.

#13 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (14189 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (9739 posts) - - Show Bio

The basic super powers today are super strength, super durability, and healing factor to an extent.

#15 Posted by GraniteSoldier (4451 posts) - - Show Bio

There are only so many power ideas, you can have a generic power set but as long as the character is interesting and the story is engaging no one will care. People, I like to think anyway, care more for character than how powerful a character is, or what powers he has.

#16 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier: I agree but often times, at least for me, I'm attracted to a comic character by what they can do. And them of course I fall In love with the character.

#17 Edited by GraniteSoldier (4451 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Ah, well that's personal preference I guess. A lot of powers are "over used" I guess. Telepathy is prominent, flight, strength, reflexes, etc. You could even give a spin on the powers they have, so even if it is "generic" they still have them for a different reason than most others. Even if they have some "generic" powers, like strength for example, add in a "unique" flavor power to that character. I'm writing one that I'm currently doing that with. He has some "generic" powers but there's a twist and one or two that are more "flavor" powers to his character.

I hope this all made sense, I felt myself getting confused at my own writing here.

#18 Posted by dum529001 (1571 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

Strength. It's boring.

Its the most common one and the easiest.

Its a super-powered body. Every aspect of your biology is greater than normal.

Superior muscle movement and the durability for all body parts to handle the increased forced of that.

#19 Posted by Havenless (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

Super Strength/Durability.

I can't think of a single major superhero who doesn't have some kind of enhancement in this category. Daredevil maybe?

#20 Edited by Juiceboks (5893 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't think of a single major superhero who doesn't have some kind of enhancement in this category. Daredevil maybe?

Green Arrow, Hawkeye, Kick Ass, Huntress, Question, Nightwing, Batgirl, and Black Widow don't come to mind?

#21 Edited by EnigmaLantern (662 posts) - - Show Bio

Super Strength.

Invulnerability perhaps?

#22 Posted by HumanRocket (4823 posts) - - Show Bio

Telepathy.

#23 Posted by Havenless (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

@havenless said:

Green Arrow, Hawkeye, Kick Ass, Huntress, Question, Nightwing, Batgirl, and Black Widow don't come to mind?

Most wear body armor of some kind that limits blows and is bulletproof, etc. I know the batfamily does. I don't think Question is that major of a superhero, but Green Arrow and Hawkeye are decent examples.

#24 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@havenless said:

Yeah but even the majority of them are capable of strength feats that normal humans would never be capable of. Also their durability is definitely in-human.

@sog7dc said:

I don't think an over-used power or powerset is a problem - but a new spin on it maybe? For example, maybe the character has super-strength but their body can't handle it easily and they suffer for it later (lactic-acid buildup-man for example lol). Maybe they emulate strength through matter manipulation instead? Something like that... The thing is it depends on the type of character as well. Do you want a power-house type comic story or a street-leveler. I for one would be interested in seeing a street leveler who actually seems more human. Maybe I just need to be exposed to more comics (I'm sure someone on here can point me in the right direction) - but instead of a Batman archetype who despite being human is able to accomplish feats well beyond a normal human - how about someone who gets shot and actually does stop and almost bleeds to death right there in the alley-way? How about someone who can't jump obstacles no matter how tall they are, or can only jump realistic gaps in buildings? They get punched and actually get a broken jaw or their arm is snapped and they have to retreat because they've been outmatched, just to survive.

#25 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@juiceboks said:

@havenless said:

Yeah but even the majority of them are capable of strength feats that normal humans would never be capable of. Also their durability is definitely in-human.

@sog7dc said:

I don't think an over-used power or powerset is a problem - but a new spin on it maybe? For example, maybe the character has super-strength but their body can't handle it easily and they suffer for it later (lactic-acid buildup-man for example lol). Maybe they emulate strength through matter manipulation instead? Something like that... The thing is it depends on the type of character as well. Do you want a power-house type comic story or a street-leveler. I for one would be interested in seeing a street leveler who actually seems more human. Maybe I just need to be exposed to more comics (I'm sure someone on here can point me in the right direction) - but instead of a Batman archetype who despite being human is able to accomplish feats well beyond a normal human - how about someone who gets shot and actually does stop and almost bleeds to death right there in the alley-way? How about someone who can't jump obstacles no matter how tall they are, or can only jump realistic gaps in buildings? They get punched and actually get a broken jaw or their arm is snapped and they have to retreat because they've been outmatched, just to survive.

all of my street level characters are like that. im trying to make a more realistic comic world for my readers. i feel that making "street level" characters that are remarkable yet still human only adds to the shock and awe of the powerhouses. thats my thinking

#26 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Cool. Well if you're going powerhouses then you'[re kind of limited in terms of what makes a character a powerhouse. You'l have to tap into a powerset that is used all over the place (or be super creative beyond what almost all current writers are). Maybe density manipulation/shifting could be the way to go. A character capable of increasing their density and mass (or reducing it) at will is a more interesting prospect than someone who is just "strong" or "durable", and allows for development as they get better control with the power itself? Maybe look into physics a bit and see what options lay that way to be tapped in a way that is more "real" than where comics go with it at the moment. For example - you can have speed, but incorporate the collateral and destructive power that hyper/near light speed attacks and movements would have.

So you've got a hero, similar to the Flash in terms of his ability to move and think etc... but if he was to ever actually hit someone that fast, the resulting devastation is so great he can never actually go to his potential. Maybe he's tortured by an early mistake that caused massive damage because he simply didn't know that running THAT fast would be so devastating - his comic book heroes did it all the time, after all. If he wants to save that person who's about to get shot, he needs to run at a particular speed - but doing so may cause more surrounding damage than that one persons life - what doe she do?

#27 Posted by Extremis (2958 posts) - - Show Bio

I say super strength is the most overused.

#28 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Cool. Well if you're going powerhouses then you'[re kind of limited in terms of what makes a character a powerhouse. You'l have to tap into a powerset that is used all over the place (or be super creative beyond what almost all current writers are). Maybe density manipulation/shifting could be the way to go. A character capable of increasing their density and mass (or reducing it) at will is a more interesting prospect than someone who is just "strong" or "durable", and allows for development as they get better control with the power itself? Maybe look into physics a bit and see what options lay that way to be tapped in a way that is more "real" than where comics go with it at the moment. For example - you can have speed, but incorporate the collateral and destructive power that hyper/near light speed attacks and movements would have.

So you've got a hero, similar to the Flash in terms of his ability to move and think etc... but if he was to ever actually hit someone that fast, the resulting devastation is so great he can never actually go to his potential. Maybe he's tortured by an early mistake that caused massive damage because he simply didn't know that running THAT fast would be so devastating - his comic book heroes did it all the time, after all. If he wants to save that person who's about to get shot, he needs to run at a particular speed - but doing so may cause more surrounding damage than that one persons life - what doe she do?

some very good ideas. you have given me reason to rethink some things about this character

#29 Posted by Farkam (3081 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

I say super strength is the most overused.

#30 Posted by IheartZombies92 (2197 posts) - - Show Bio

"Energy blasts"

#31 Edited by hyiena (1770 posts) - - Show Bio

Healing