Avatar image for amazingfantasy15
AmazingFantasy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AmazingFantasy15

In terms of powers, personality, origin, costume, method and motivation for being a superhero, while still being a good character, who do you think is the most original superhero?

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CrimsonCake

Superman or Hercules (Mythology)

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Pyrogram

@CrimsonCake said:

superman no way, hes obvious, strong, flys, lasers out of eyes... no originality.

I think, Black panther, or somebody like wolverine/

Avatar image for amazingfantasy15
AmazingFantasy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AmazingFantasy15

Superman is an interesting idea, today there seems to be a number of superheroes who share certain characteristics but when superman debuted he was unique which is probably part of the reason he did so well.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By DarthShap

@Pyrogram said:

@CrimsonCake said:

superman no way, hes obvious, strong, flys, lasers out of eyes... no originality.

Superman was unique.

Black Panther and Wolverine on the contrary are basically rip-offs of The Phantom and Timber Wolf respectively.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@Pyrogram: Original for 1938 though. I also think Spider-man is a good choice for this category. Both the powers and the fact that he was a teen-ager with girl and money problems. Not common at all for heroes back in the day.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xybernauts

@AmazingFantasy15: @Manwhohaseverything: I agree with Superman and Spiderman. I'd also add Martian Manhunter. Not alot of Martian superheroes out there and not alot of heroes with his power set.

I'd change the question to the most unique superheroes in the last 10-20 years to avoid repetition.. In the last 10-20 years I'd say Ben 10, as weird as that sounds. He has a very unique power and form of technology.

cuddles666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cuddles666
holaso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By holaso

Superman is only obvious 80 years later! During his time there was nothing like him....all the copycats came afterwards. Where will Wolverine be in another couple decades? We already see a lot of copycats ...too many characters have regeneration/healing factor and claws...50 more years from now he won't be as unique as during his most popular days..I agree Superman and Spiderman are top contenders

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Holaso: Superman wasn't that unique, his powerset, first name and nickname all came from other characters 
NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Pyrogram said:

@CrimsonCake said:

And Wolverine isn't obvious and unoriginal? Har Har

--

My vote goes to Daredevil.

Avatar image for name_already_chosen
name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being the first, Superman is naturally the original since he is the origin of almost every superhero who followed.

I think you mean "the most original post-Silver Age hero"?

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KnightRise
Israphael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Israphael

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Holaso: Superman wasn't that unique, his powerset, first name and nickname all came from other characters

Explain yourself.

holaso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By holaso

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Want to tell me where everything came from? ;) You don't have to answer it if you don't know. I think his inspirations were radically different enough that he would count as unique in his time. Technically you can say nothing is unique because everything was inspired by something. But in terms of modern day SUPERHERO, Superman is unique.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By thespideyguy

Dr. Manhattan

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Holaso said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Want to tell me where everything came from? ;) You don't have to answer it if you don't know. I think his inspirations were radically different enough that he would count as unique in his time. Technically you can say nothing is unique because everything was inspired by something. But in terms of modern day SUPERHERO, Superman is unique.

@Israphael: The name Clark and The Man of (insert metal here) are both taken from Doc Savage who originated about 10 years before Superman also Captain Marvel and Namor both had the super strong flying guy power-set before Superman 
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@thespideyguy: How can an alternative version of a character be original? 
Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mega_spidey01

how about luke cage? batman? ironfist? spawn?

Israphael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Israphael

@Jonny_Anonymous: Doc Savage was printed in 1933 whereas Superman was created in 1932 and first appeared in 1938. Captain Marvel wasn't created until 1939 and was pretty much a carbon copy of Superman there was even a lawsuit over this (the judge considered Marvel infringement but due to circumstances they lost). Superman is pretty much one of the most prominent if not the prominent founding father of modern comics. I will say the got some inspiration from Doc Savage (Fortress of Solitude) however they are two completely different characters and Superman is unique.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

@KnightRise said:

Some heros are not so original, but the rip-offery is from such an obscure source that we don't notice it

Why did you have to post a Cracked link? Every time I go on there I spend the next 72 hours looking through the awesome lists :)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Israphael said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: Doc Savage was printed in 1933 whereas Superman was created in 1932 and first appeared in 1938. Captain Marvel wasn't created until 1939 and was pretty much a carbon copy of Superman there was even a lawsuit over this (the judge considered Marvel infringement but due to circumstances they lost). Superman is pretty much one of the most prominent if not the prominent founding father of modern comics. I will say the got some inspiration from Doc Savage (Fortress of Solitude) however they are two completely different characters and Superman is unique.

I didn't say he was a rip off but he's not unique if his name, nickname, hideout and powerset had all been done before. Captain Marvel was created after yes but CM had the power-set before Superman, all he could do at that time was jump high
Israphael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Israphael

@Jonny_Anonymous:

The only thing Marvel had before Superman was flight everything else was stolen from Superman. Name and hideout hardly encompass a character and Doc Savage didn't invent the name Clark anyway.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By thespideyguy

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@thespideyguy: How can an alternative version of a character be original?

just posting to show a friend how to, wasn't thinking

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Israphael said:

@Jonny_Anonymous:

The only thing Marvel had before Superman was flight everything else was stolen from Superman. Name and hideout hardly encompass a character and Doc Savage didn't invent the name Clark anyway.

None of what you say changes the fact that Superman is not unique 
Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@name_already_chosen said:

Being the first, Superman is naturally the original since he is the origin of almost every superhero who followed.

I think you mean "the most original post-Silver Age hero"?

Incorrect. The first superhero was Mandrake the Magician. He debuted in 1934.

Although it is a bit of a stretch. He did have many powers though.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By reignmaker

The only reason we call it "superhero" is because of Superman.

/thread

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By tomlikesfries

The Punisher!

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KnightRise

@guttridgeb said:

@KnightRise said:

Some heros are not so original, but the rip-offery is from such an obscure source that we don't notice it

Why did you have to post a Cracked link? Every time I go on there I spend the next 72 hours looking through the awesome lists :)

lol Its imposible to not do that, I had 14 tabs open before I found the link because I open a new one for each artiucle I want to read.

Israphael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Israphael

@Jonny_Anonymous: By your logic nothing is unique because somewhere in some sort of literary work a name or a location or small aspect has been used before making almost everything a copy of something else.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Israphael said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: By your logic nothing is unique because somewhere in some sort of literary work a name or a location or small aspect has been used before making almost everything a copy of something else.

Which would also be true. But I mean come on "the Man of Steel" and "the Man of Bronze" not only that but Supermans entire back story is the same as Hugo Danner AKA Gladiator  
Israphael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Israphael

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Israphael said:

Which would also be true. But I mean come on "the Man of Steel" and "the Man of Bronze" not only that but Supermans entire back story is the same as Hugo Danner AKA Gladiator

Most works draw inspiration from other works and occasionally use some of their aspects in their own works out of respect. This doesn't make them unoriginal. I could say Gladiator is unoriginal because he's a hero and has super strength just like Heracles.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By evilvegeta74

Maybe Cap or Spidey.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DarthShap

Superman is the first superhero.

It is not about inventing a completely new characteristic, it is about combining elements in a new fashion :

-Urban, modern setting

-Secret Identity

-Costume, with a symbol

-Super-powers

-Mostly saves people from harm and fights crime (he does not go on big adventures)

-Fights Supervillains

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Eternal19

@Pyrogram said:

@CrimsonCake said:

He's the first Superhero. He's automatically the most original

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Eternal19

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

he's the first superhero most charecters ripped of his powerset

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Eternal19 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Pepole could fly before him, pepole had super strength before him, pepole had super speed before him...
Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Eternal19

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Eternal19 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Pepole could fly before him, pepole had super strength before him, pepole had super speed before him...

name all of them. The only reason they're called superheroes is because of superman

Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sufferthorn

The Blind Superhero. Uses sonar-vision and enhanced hearing, smell, touch and taste to comprehend the world around him. Trained to use his abilities by Stick.

In his alter-ego he is Matt Murdock and works as a Lawyer. His abilities make his job much easier, and is known for his success as a lawyer despite his handicap.

Another Superhero i consider to be filled with Original thinking is

Rogue....one of the first heroes to have a power that is both a gift and a curse. Allowing her to steal the powers and thoughts of any she touchs for limited amount of time.

Her powers unfortunately, limit her ability to have a relationship with anybody.....and make her extra careful when simply giving one of her friends a Hug.

Black Bolt....one of the members of the Inhumans, forbidden to utter a single whisper for fear of whom he might kill. Along with his ability to fly, he also leads his freakish kin to sanctuary on the Moon.

A Hero known not for his Strength, Speed or Agility, nor his ability to defy gravity. But his ability to see and manipulate anothers thoughts. Stuck(usually) in a wheelchair, he has taught the X Men the principals of morality and co-existence. He is the Ultimate Teacher. Professor Charles Xavier.

Nightcrawler, known for his freakish appearance of that of a "Demon" despite his devotion to the Catholic Faith. His powers include short-range teleportation, as well as impressive acrobatics.

The Silver Surfer, once known as Norrin Radd, who promised his submission to a powerful Universal Entity called Galactus.

Through this trade he became the Silver Surfer, empowered with the Power Cosmic, and one of the most powerful individuals in the Marvel Universe.

Iron Man...a hero using his technological and scientific genius to create a suit specifically for the purpose of fighting Evil.

However (not so original)....he is a Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist with a secret lair where he keeps his technology and suits....

Though probably not the first robotic-superhero.

The Vision is an Android, based on the brain-pattern of Wonderman, and capable of feeling emotion and independant thought. He is original (in my opinion) appearance and ability.

He is able to increase and decrease his density at will, and possesses a laser-weapon from a Jewel upon his forehead.

Taskmaster has the ability to learn an opponents fighting style simply by watching him/her. This has allowed him to quickly learn various fighting techniques in a short amount of time, making him an elite mercenary. His powers are(in my opinion) quite original.

Doctor Strange....although contrasted by Dr Fate in the DC Comics, shows a very proper method of dealing with sorcerous elements within comics. So despite not being an entirely original character, how he was developed and handled, as well as portrayed makes me consider him one of the coolest and original heroes to date.

Yes...i know...there have been "other speedsters" before the Flash....but none come up to par with originality than this guy does in my opinion.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Eternal19 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Eternal19 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Pepole could fly before him, pepole had super strength before him, pepole had super speed before him...

name all of them. The only reason they're called superheroes is because of superman

Doc Savage was called Clark and the Man of Bronze and has a place called the Fortress of Solitude before Superman rip that off. Namor could fly before Superman, Captain Marvel could fly before Superman. Hugo Danning had super strength, bullet proof skin and the ability to jump tall buildings in a single bound before Superman. 
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Sufferthorn: He wasn't the first blind superhero 
Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Eternal19

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Eternal19 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Eternal19 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Doc Savage was called Clark and the Man of Bronze and has a place called the Fortress of Solitude before Superman rip that off. Namor could fly before Superman, Captain Marvel could fly before Superman. Hugo Danning had super strength, bullet proof skin and the ability to jump tall buildings in a single bound before Superman.

I guess im wrong all your sources check out,even though I dont agree with you on the fact that having the same name as another charecter reduces his originality. But, I still believe that superman was the first superhero due to him kickstarting the genre

Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sufferthorn

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Who was then?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Sufferthorn: Doc Mid-Night or Black Bat, not sure which one came first 
Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sufferthorn

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Well...you sure are nerdier than I am. I suppose i will edit it.

I don't feel that it deters from Daredevils originality one bit though.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Sufferthorn: Black Bat was also a lawyer... and was blinded by chemicals... being splashed on his face
Sufferthorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Sufferthorn

@Jonny_Anonymous:

Well played....but i don't care. *shrug*

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48  Edited By Timandm

This is a hard question to answer.

First, if you want to be completely fair, wouldn't the answer be SUPERMAN since he was the first comic book super hero?

Then, when you consider the first popular comic book heroes (Batman, Fantastic-Four, Spider-man, Iron-Man, The Flash) you have to remember they were among the first. They were obviously original....

When The Batman came out, there was no other super hero who was a Sherlocke Holmes/ Bruce Lee/ The Shadow types...

When Iron Man came out, there were no other Genius inventors who made a mechanical exo-skeleton/servo-motor/flying/invulnerable type super heroes.

When Spider-Man came out, there was absolutely no other super hero who stuck to walls, swung on spider-webs and had a spider sense...

The originals were obviously original... Perhaps a better question would be, who is the most original to come out in the past twenty years or so??? Still, this is a hard question to answer.... But it IS an excellent question. Let's see:

• Cloak and Dagger (although they came out in the 80s, so that might be too far back)
  • Amadeus Cho (I like the idea that his fast mind is his power)
  • Darwin (an interesting idea. Adapt to survive... Too bad he's currently an evil so and so.)

I'm going to have to think on this some more. It really is an excellent question.

Avatar image for rickthunderclees
RickThunderclees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RickThunderclees

Any love for Sandman?

No Caption Provided
Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By Rumble Man

@cuddles666 said:

Gilgamesh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilgamesh

This

the first hero to be ever recorded in human history which predates all mythology

As for superman

the closest thing in mythology would be hanuman or gatotkaca (as they did the flying without wings things centuries before siegel and shuster made it happen)