#1 Posted by Crazy Jay Blue (113 posts) - - Show Bio

Please forgive me if this topic has been done before.

So we could go on all night about what comic book movies were unfaithful and why, which do you feel were faithful, and why?

I would have to say I think the most faithful adaptation was probably Sin City. Other than a few lines that were added or subtracted, and some use of color, I can't offhand think of any differences between the movie and the comic.

#2 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

kinda hard to say.  some movies are made about characters that have been around for years and have different origin stories, like superman and batman, so its kinda hard to stay true to any particular comic, but most of them seem to stay pretty close to the characters.  like most of the superman movies, most of the batman movies, the spiderman movies, sin city...

#3 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Howard the Duck

#4 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio
Hawk said:
"Howard the Duck"

really?  that was really close to the comic?
#5 Posted by King Saturn (224443 posts) - - Show Bio
I thought Iron Man was pretty accurate...
#6 Posted by Crazy Jay Blue (113 posts) - - Show Bio
Apparition said:
"kinda hard to say.  some movies are made about characters that have been around for years and have different origin stories, like superman and batman, so its kinda hard to stay true to any particular comic, but most of them seem to stay pretty close to the characters.  like most of the superman movies, most of the batman movies, the spiderman movies, sin city..."
My argument against trying to make such films. Movies that are based on miniseries tend to be more coherent, because they aren't trying to stuff thirty years of backstory into an hour-and-a-half. On a related note, how faithful do you think the Watchmen movie will be? I can't imagine how they'll recreate the non-comic prose bits that Moore stuck at the end of each section (ya'know, like the Nite Owl's biography and stuff.)
#7 Posted by The_Absolute (892 posts) - - Show Bio

The Spiderman movies are the worst of them all. (well maybe not 2) I agree with Supes. But it would have to be 300 or Sin City - those followed the comics panel by panel.

#8 Posted by Crazy Jay Blue (113 posts) - - Show Bio
Apparition said:
"Hawk said:
"Howard the Duck"

really?  that was really close to the comic?"
No. I think Hawk is being factitious.
#9 Posted by lionel hunter (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

v for vendetta

#10 Posted by Vendead (22 posts) - - Show Bio

sin city it was basically word for word

#11 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio
Crazy Jay Blue said:
"Apparition said:
"Hawk said:
"Howard the Duck"

really?  that was really close to the comic?"
No. I think Hawk is being factitious."
I am never anything I can't spell
#12 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27119 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man
V for Vendetta
Tank Girl
Howard the duck for sure!
Sin City
the New batmans
and Hell Boy not bad

#13 Posted by Crazy Jay Blue (113 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically, though I recall a few of Marv's more disquieting lines about Japanese people being taken out of the film. Also, a line of his about music isn't in the film. I think there's another thing. Sorry to nitpick.

#14 Posted by Adam Vertigo (314 posts) - - Show Bio

Ironman, 300 (if were also talking about graphic novels), Batman (Michael Keaton's is closest, then followed by Christain Bale's), V for Vendetta, Incredible Hulk (newest 1), Sin City, Spiderman (1st movie out of the trilogy)

#15 Posted by fesak (7061 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by King Saturn (224443 posts) - - Show Bio
Hawk said:
"Howard the Duck"
LOL

I never really liked that movie
#17 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

spiderman

he is whiny in the comics and in the movie

he also gets a emo hair cut in three,just brilliant claps

#18 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say considering Daredevil wasn't based on any particular arc other than Bullseye trying to kill him it was pretty faithful with his powers and personality. And for the one that wasn't like the comics, the Hulk movie from 2003. It was cringe material. Lame plot, lame villain, lame origin... they needed a good director.

#19 Posted by Paragon (7293 posts) - - Show Bio
Vendead said:
"sin city it was basically word for word"
They used the comic panels as a storyboard during production, so it's pretty much a duplicate of the comics.
#20 Posted by Crazy Jay Blue (113 posts) - - Show Bio
Meteorite said:
"I'd say considering Daredevil wasn't based on any particular arc other than Bullseye trying to kill him it was pretty faithful with his powers and personality. And for the one that wasn't like the comics, the Hulk movie from 2003. It was cringe material. Lame plot, lame villain, lame origin... they needed a good director."
Ang Lee is a very good director. Not having seen Ang Lee's Hulk, my guess is that he just didn't really understand what makes the Hulk cool, and tried to make it much to arthouse-y.
#21 Posted by TheDrifter (26556 posts) - - Show Bio

Sin City

Howard the Duck

#22 Posted by cpt_linger (2902 posts) - - Show Bio

the original superman movies

#23 Posted by fesak (7061 posts) - - Show Bio
cpt_linger said:
"the original superman movies"

You mean the 1940-50's ones? I haven't seen those.

caption
caption
#24 Posted by cpt_linger (2902 posts) - - Show Bio

ya flew back a bit too far for me there lol,

i mean the reeves movies, i thought him playing the character alone made the movie (third was crap).

he adds just the right amount of "im a dork" and "im a hero"

#25 Posted by TheDrifter (26556 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by _Obsidian_ (5028 posts) - - Show Bio
T.J. Magnum said:
"spiderman

he is whiny in the comics and in the movie

he also gets a emo hair cut in three,just brilliant claps"
lol

On-topic, I'd say Iron Man ... and Batman (as played by Michael Keaton).
#27 Posted by Crazy Jay Blue (113 posts) - - Show Bio

Why the eff do people keep saying 'Howard The Duck?' The movie is hardly even based on the comic at all. Are they all being facetious, or is there something I'm not getting?

#28 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio
Crazy Jay Blue said:
"Why the eff do people keep saying 'Howard The Duck?' The movie is hardly even based on the comic at all. Are they all being facetious, or is there something I'm not getting?"
I believe the word is sarcasm.