Most COMPLEX comic book Superheroes/Supervillains ??

DarkBrooder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Looking for characters who are quite layered with an intriguing personality other than the usual "justice, peace, happiness and apple pie". I've been directed a lot to batman and the joker, but it's always nice to have a range of characters that I could get interested in, kind of like the characters who have distinct motives and justifications for why they are the way they are, preferably villains/anti-heroes who are bitter/dark. Weird thing to ask I know, but I generally enjoy reading up on characters who say 1 short quote that you can interpret in different ways and understand the depth of the character on a philosophical/psychological level. Thanks for taking the time to read this lol.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hank Pym---a man with brilliant talent who's only let down by self esteem and mental health problems. Ultron represent his darker side so any story with him is good for exploring Pym.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Adam

DarkBrooder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DarkBrooder

@maccyd: @havenless: Will definitely look into them, while on the topic though, any suggestions for characters with no powers ?

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: @havenless: Will definitely look into them, while on the topic though, any suggestions for characters with no powers ?

complicated question. Even Batman has superpowers like impossible technology, unlimited wealth, infinite free time.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Reverse Flash

Mystique

Apocalypse

Venom (Eddie Brock)

DarkBrooder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havenless: Fair point, at first I did find batman to be an intriguing character but all the analysis of the character felt a bit too hypothetical cos at times it feels like he's not that deep of a character in comparison to the likes of the joker, but then the joker remains a mystery, no name, origin story etc etc. I guess I'm asking for too much, can't have a character who looks awesome, is deep on multiple levels, and is powerful matching against other characters. So far deadshot is the only character that I find extremely interesting, people underestimate how layered the guy is with his whole indifferent, pessimistic, self-reliant, disobedient, emotionally turmoiled attitude. The way he shows how a negative development/event in your life can let you get swallowed by grief rather than powered by determination (AKA batman) is quite interesting, his bitterness and disrespect to everything people consider important because of his underlying anger at feeling guilty for being in the situation that he's in. But ever since I discovered deadshot, there haven't been any characters I find as interesting.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

@darkbrooder: You will want to check out the New 52 run of Aquaman. The way Aquaman & Ocean Master communicate is great. The entire series is a must read.

DarkBrooder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14: Reverse flash is someone I've been looking to get into (probably cos I like villains who are equals to their superhero counterparts) but could u briefly run through his character's psyche, like personality and that. Not in too much depth, just like the gist of his turmoil or motives or whatever.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11 the_stegman  Moderator

Tons of them really, I could even say almost all of them are complex in their own way. Comics have changed a lot since the Silver Age.

DarkBrooder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Cool, I guess I just feel the need to narrow down the options to specific characters that I like so I can focus only on those characters in terms of getting comics and stuff, and the rest I'll just casually read up on online or whatever, bit awkward like that.

DarkBrooder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DarkBrooder
Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkbrooder:check out Flash Rebirth, Flashpoint are some good ones to read.

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recommend checking out Moon Knight, he's very interesting.

DarkBrooder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@curlyinsaneguy: Mind giving a quick runthrough of his character's motives and personality ? :P lol

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CurlyInsaneGuy

@darkbrooder It's kind of a lot to simplify. But Moon Knight is a vigilante with split personalities that "serves" the god Khonshu who tempts him to be more violent than he might be otherwise and charges him with being the protector of travelers at night. He's also rich and has some cool gadgets, similar to Batman.

DarkBrooder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@curlyinsaneguy: Seems interesting I guess, will probably look into it. Would u consider superboy or deathstroke to be complex characters ?

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkbrooder: I haven't read much of them, actually. But from what I know about them, I guess they could be considered complex.

DarkBrooder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@curlyinsaneguy: I was thinking of getting into deathstroke's character just because he's one of those rare villains who can go toe to toe with popular superheroes, but I preferred it when they focused on mainly deathstroke's development and how he himself became a mercenary. I never liked the whole, son with same powers, other son who transmits his soul into deathstroke, a daughter with more powers and what not, too eastender-ish for my liking.

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkbrooder: Yeah, I like the idea of his family issues being brought to the surface, but the execution seems to be lacking most of the time. His ability to give te heroes a challenge IS pretty great.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lateralus

Legion

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doctor Doom, Sentry, Wolverine, Ant-Man.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk, Batman, Jason Todd, Taskmaster, Huntress , Raven.

DarkBrooder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@curlyinsaneguy: Exactly, it's not spontaneous enough, it feels too forced the way they're all experimented on in different projects and everything which is dissapointing considering how ruthless deathstroke's character is.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doctor Doom, Sentry, Wolverine, Ant-Man.

The original series only tbh, not when he's written by Bendis.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noone301994: It explores the themes a bit better and Sentry's personality is more darker and complex. I think it was originally meant to be out-of-continuity as well, so it has more freedom. Bendis made Sentry into a sort of Mary Sue that shows up established characters that Bendis typically doesn't know or care about (His doctor doom was dreadful for example). It might as worked better if it was out-of-continuity, but I'm not surprised he's typically one of the most hated characters in the comic community tbh.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Noone301994
flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moon Knight,Joker

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noone301994: Have you read the original 2000 Sentry series?

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: No, who was it written by?

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Hulk - he has a lot of character complexity in Bruce. Remember Hulk is the superpower, not the character.

Agent Venom - Flash deals with PTSD, childhood abuse, guilt, alcoholism, and the drive to overcome them all to live up to the examples of Spider-Man and Captain America.

Bucky Barnes - Read Brubaker's work on him. Nuff said.

TMNT - Great story with themes of strength in family and overcoming personal problems to achieve a shared goal. Sounds kiddie, but you won't be disappointed if you try it.

Some others that I don't feel like giving long descriptions of are Nightwing, Green Arrow, and Pre52 Black Canary. Oh and the original Spawn run with Al Simmons.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Batman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emma Frost, Magneto, and Punisher(MAX)

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By RealityWarper

@noone301994 said:

@maccyd: No, who was it written by?

Written by Paul Jenkins.

Art by Jae Lee for the first mini-serie.

Art by John Romita Jr for the second.

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By username12345

Looking for characters who are quite layered with an intriguing personality other than the usual "justice, peace, happiness and apple pie". I've been directed a lot to batman and the joker, but it's always nice to have a range of characters that I could get interested in, kind of like the characters who have distinct motives and justifications for why they are the way they are, preferably villains/anti-heroes who are bitter/dark. Weird thing to ask I know, but I generally enjoy reading up on characters who say 1 short quote that you can interpret in different ways and understand the depth of the character on a philosophical/psychological level. Thanks for taking the time to read this lol.

Bane:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Batman:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-man before Dan slot took over.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Yeah, I got to agree, Pym is one of the most complex characters. There are just so many aspects to his motivations: low self-esteem, super genius, love for science, bi-polar, his mental breakdowns, guilt over hitting Janet, guilt over what his "son" Ultron has done, pursuit of redemption, belief that people can be changed for the better. Even his love life is complex. I believe that his fling with Jocasta was because she was based off of Janet Van Dyne. And you could argue that Janet was just a replacement for his first wife. He's a super hero who loves to help people but isn't really a fighter and seems uncomfortable being a super hero. I can't think of a more complex Marvel or DC character.

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I would have to go with Hulk. Bruce Banner/Hulk is a multiple personality disorder. When Peter David wrote him he went as far as Bruce/Hulk having 4 personalities. Now I haven't read the Hulk in a long time so I don't know if they "fixed" this problem or now.

Avatar image for deactivated-598aab95b6c09
deactivated-598aab95b6c09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My personal picks:

1) Doctor Doom: He has the qualities of the greatest hero that ever walked the earth, yet, due to his massive and monstrous ego he's basically the world's greatest "villain". I put in villain in quotes because even though he resorts in violent acts, he has a noble ulterior motive. He wants to change the world but not in the general "enslave everyone and make them my b!thc" kind of way. Thing is, he has these extremely vile outbursts of pure hate and then he's got these moments of kindness and love. Triumph and Torment is a brilliant piece of writting and I urge everyone to take a look at it.

2) Silver Surfer: A man responsible for the deaths of countless upon countless of souls. A man who time and time again has been the dealer of death. The fact that he still hasn't turned into an insane mess is a feat in and of itself. But what I really admire is that he's got all of these abillities and powers yet he mostly goes for the peaceful solution. He's a being of imenense emotional strength and I also really like his views on a person's "soul" and "body".

3) Doctor Strange: An arrogant, foolish human turned into our dimension's greatest protector. I especially find the fact that even if he's a man of science he doesn't deny the spirituality of man and finds the perfect balance between those two. A conflicted soul who weilds unimaginable power yet, in the face of Gods he's still a speck. I think that makes him extremely interesting. The strongest "insect" tangling with Gods and Demons, proving that humanity and soul shall always prevail.

4) Adam Warlock: The child of Science and Magic. A being with no "place" in the universe, an "anomaly" who's trying to find his place in the cosmos. I find that extremely fascinating because he's not the guy with the answers or the solution. Mostly, he's the blind man, trying to follow the trail of purpose. What makes him unique though, is that he's a philosopher and a being of pure contradiction. A living and walking dichotomy between "right" and "wrong", "justice" and "villainy", "faith" and "fact".

5) Moon Knight: A man who's shed more blood than he can ever account for, clad in white and protecting the travellers of the night. Esentially he's a broken shell who's lost his humanity and is trying to win it back through the only way he's ever known: Violence. Yet, he sometimes strives to turn away from it and choose the path of the "cleric" or the "priest" instead of the "crusader". In my opinion he sums up perfectly the highs and lows of everyone's daily life. We all fall and try to find something to pick us up, even if sometimes we know that it's the wrong way. Yet, we find the courage to turn away and head for the "tirring" road, which mostly just brings us back at the bottom. The point is always getting back up and climbing again towards the "light".