Posted by cfrehse (1127 posts) 1 year, 8 months ago

Poll: MOS Effects or Avengers Effects (50 votes)

Man of Steel 58%
The Avengers 24%
Too close to call 18%

Which movie had better effects overall. They had about the same budget.

#1 Posted by ARMIV2 (9151 posts) - - Show Bio

...Oh gosh, I dunno if I could say. They used them so differently.

#2 Edited by XImpossibruX (5531 posts) - - Show Bio

The superspeed in MoS was my favorite effect in the movie, while the weaponry, tech and machines was done well in Avengers.

Both showed amazing CGI in different aspects, too close to call.

#3 Edited by PeppeyHare (4314 posts) - - Show Bio

They're both very impressive and used them in totally different ways.

#4 Posted by The Stegman (28558 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm saying Man of Steel for three reasons.

1. They actually showed an alien world with alien life and made it look very realistic.

2. They FINALLY showed what a character with super speed would look like if they fought with their speed. Faora was a beast

3. The ending fight to me was better, two supremely powerful beings fighting to the death (whether the Superman fans liked it or not :p ) while the ending to Avengers was good, but mostly thanks to the Hulk.

#5 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6870 posts) - - Show Bio

Both were good?

#6 Edited by Captain_Beyond (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel had the better special effects but I think The Avengers would have made better use of them...

#7 Posted by MonsterStomp (24135 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Pffft. Iron-Man saved the day.

Man of Steel had better effects. Super speed without slo-motion for once.

#8 Edited by Fallschirmjager (19596 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp said:

@the_stegman: Pffft. Iron-Man saved the day.

Man of Steel had better effects. Super speed without slo-motion for once.

Technically the mysterious council and the un-named F-35 pilot saved the day :D. If they hadn't ordered the nuke to be fired and the pilot not fired it, they'd have spend another hour cleaning up the rest of the alien army.

#9 Posted by Wolverine08 (47858 posts) - - Show Bio

Both were equally good IMO.

#11 Posted by Fallschirmjager (19596 posts) - - Show Bio

Also...all of this:

#12 Posted by MonsterStomp (24135 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: The pilots were ordered to nuke the city. That isn't saving the day. That is saving their own asses after.... Hell the military didn't even try and help... I swear, the more I think about that film, the more I hate it..

#13 Posted by Fallschirmjager (19596 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: The pilots were ordered to nuke the city. That isn't saving the day. That is saving their own asses after.... Hell the military didn't even try and help... I swear, the more I think about that film, the more I hate it..

I was being facetious :P. Without that timely Nuke they'd have had some problems ;)

#14 Posted by Wolverine08 (47858 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1379 posts) - - Show Bio

I think MoS, primarily because of the realistic look they gave when transitioning between live action actors and CG stuff. It's probably the most flawless, natural looking stuff I've seen.

#16 Posted by MonsterStomp (24135 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Not the pilots. The U.S military didn't even attempt to help in the war in The Avengers. They sent a nuke as a first line of defence? At least in Man of Steel the U.S military was realistic about the aliens being a threat, even Superman.

#17 Posted by Fallschirmjager (19596 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: I believe the cops said something about the National Guard being 30~ minutes away.

Also Zod gave the entire planet a warning via his broadcast. We didn't get that in Avengers.

Although I agree that we could have at least seen some help via the Air Force.

But I think that also is what separates the tones in films. Where MoS feels grounded and Avengers feels more like fantasy - imo anyway.

#18 Edited by MonsterStomp (24135 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: S.H.I.E.L.D was well aware of the pending threat, they were well aware from the beginning of the film, yet they still have no quick response team. They were well aware for days. Zod only gave Earth 24 hours. Pretty stupid of them, relying on a team where three members were actual factors (Iron-Man, Hulk and Thor).

#19 Posted by Fallschirmjager (19596 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: They knew Loki was a threat, but they didn't know the details of the Tessaract and the fact that it could unleash an Alien Army on Earth. Furthermore the Avengers didn't figure out where it was coming from until it was pretty much happening. The US doesn't have the forces to cover the entire planet.

And hey! Hawkeye can 1 shot a hellicarrier with an arrow! (lolol) ...He's a factor...

#20 Posted by MonsterStomp (24135 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: I can go on all day about this lol. But Hawkeye and Iron-Man were the most BAMF's in the film!

#21 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

nothing shall ever beat the hulk from avengers

#22 Posted by Wolverine08 (47858 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: WB stated multiple times that their goal with MOS was to put Superman in a realistic world. Marvel Studios wasn't aiming to make Avengers realistic.

#23 Posted by lykopis (10868 posts) - - Show Bio

I picked Avengers, just the scene of Iron Man "bringing the party" to the rest of the team was awesome in itself.

#25 Posted by Aiden Cross (15726 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't seen Man of Steel yet >_>

#26 Edited by LimboBot (118 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't seen Man of Steel yet >_>

you should, it's an good movie.

#27 Posted by Aiden Cross (15726 posts) - - Show Bio

@aracnator: i want to! Just haven't gotten around to it yet..

#28 Posted by xxxddd (3706 posts) - - Show Bio

@armiv2 said:

...Oh gosh, I dunno if I could say. They used them so differently.

#29 Posted by NoFugazy (68 posts) - - Show Bio

I had to go with MOS on this one. Especially since I just got done watch The Avengers on Netflix. The cgi in The Avengers was just horrible in some scenes. Prime example is when Iron Man has to fix the wing on the carrier. Capt. America has to swing and jump aroumd the carrier and that cgi was terrible. While MOS was a smoother transition between the two and you didnt notice it.

#30 Posted by TDK_1997 (15846 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel easily.Snyder managed to show us an alien world which looked realistic enough.He showed us fights between people like Superman and Zod and the other Kryptonians and it looked good enough for us to believe and he just made me scream at times from eyegasm.

#31 Edited by dum529001 (1795 posts) - - Show Bio

@ximpossibrux said:

The superspeed in MoS was my favorite effect in the move, while the weaponry, tech and machines was done well in Avengers.

The super-speed was okay. It wasn't super-great though. The CGI done for it looked a bit cheap. It looks like the just sped up the frames per second. It should have been more of a blur on those high speed motions. The CGI for the super-speed in "Man of Steel" ticked me off about as much as the CGi in the incredible Hulk movie.

The Avengers could have used more smashing in the final battle. Thor should have had more screen time during the battle since he and Hulk are the team's two biggest guns.

#32 Posted by Knightfall225 (2063 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually loved the superspeed

#33 Posted by Immortal777 (8200 posts) - - Show Bio

MOS

#34 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (6796 posts) - - Show Bio

Chose MOS