Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter

Linestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter (41 votes)

Mortal Kombat 66%
Street Fighter 32%

Which one of the games do you think is better?

As a series, fighting mechanics, fan service, balance and all the other good stuff.

I personally am in the minority of my friends and say MK is a much better franchise. Ever since i played Mortal Kombat on the original NES and saw my bro do Sub Zero's original head rip fatality, I've always felt like Street Fighter was just a lame wannabe Mortal Kombat.

Sure, Street Fighter has tighter controls, but honestly, it's personality is "Fighting Game", it has nothing what so ever that really stands out. Generic characters, rip off move sets, no personality, and far lamer lore and story.

I know a lot of people think that MK sucks because it "relies" on fatalities to stay relevant, but it doesn't, and steet fighter honestly has nothing to keep it relevant. In almost every house hold of someone who even casually games i see at least one MK game, but the only time I ever see a Street Fighter game it's because their die hard fans.

And the new MKX and even MK9 have fixed the clunky controls so, to me, ot's not even a contest, MK is just the better game.

TL;DR I like Mk because it has better personality, where street fighter feels generic. Old school SF had tighter controls than old school MK, buy MK9 and MKX have fixed that so it's not even a contest anymore IMO.

• 
Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

I honestly don't know anyone who prefers Street Fighter. Street Fighter is one of those games if you don't play often and don't memorize moves you'll never be good at. Same can be said for Mortal Kombat but the game play is more forgiving. My favorite fighting games are Dead or alive & Tekken as they play the same but prefer Tekken characters.

Linestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guru_crack: haha the thing about Tekken is its formula is soooo close to SF, but its got way more personality.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

@linestar: Tekken is a lot more casual than street fighter which is why I prefer it. I also don't like the cartoon like look of Street Fighter. Street fighter have some cool characters but Tekken characters are the coolest imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

Since you mentioned fanservice, Cammy alone gives SF the advantage in that field.

Linestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linestar

@xwraith: i didnt mean in terms of sexuality (which i guess is what fan service means now), but more so things like Collectables, DLCs (good ones), easter eggs and the like.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linestar: In that case, I've seen better SF merch than MK.

Linestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: i agree,cEd Boon keeps milking Scorpion junk while you can hardly find any Raiden, Liu Kang, or even Sub Zero merch

SMGameHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel MK has more iconic characters than Street Fighter and is much more entertaining.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linestar: I've seen a Raiden action figure recently, but it didn't strike me as anything special.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I honestly don't know anyone who prefers Street Fighter. Street Fighter is one of those games if you don't play often and don't memorize moves you'll never be good at. Same can be said for Mortal Kombat but the game play is more forgiving. My favorite fighting games are Dead or alive & Tekken as they play the same but prefer Tekken characters.

@linestar said:

@guru_crack: haha the thing about Tekken is its formula is soooo close to SF, but its got way more personality.

So true.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Ha, stop talking. Seriously, stop. :I

Avatar image for joey_destroyer_of_worlds
Joey_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me and Liu Kang laugh at the idea of this being a contest.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MK.

Beata

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Street Fighter EASILY!

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SF, MK just got into the combo game after 9

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NIGHTWOLF WINS.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tekken>Street Fighter=mortal kombat

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Street fighter

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tekken>Street Fighter>MK. MK has always been gimmicky one trick pony to me.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, but MK depends on the violent gimmick and to be honest all SNK and Capcom fighting games were superior.

KOF is more easy and fun to play, besides it does allow you to use strategy.

SF is harder to play, but again, if you have problem playing games with good gameplay, isnt the game fault.

MK was always a gimmick franchise.

Nufious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mortal Kombat

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

MK got me into games and I love the dark fantasy element, never been a SF fan.

Though I think Tekken is technically the best, I will always have a soft spot for MK.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25 Straight-Fire  Online

Mortal Kombat.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gokuss4z

Mortal Kombat for sure. Some might say I suck at street fighter but it's just to difficult to get good at.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By frogdog

Street Fighter being a "wannbe mortal kombat"

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for doctor_wheatley
Doctor_Wheatley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Doctor_Wheatley

What is more hyped at EVO tournaments? Street Fighter or Marvel Vs Capcom? (Mortal Kombat isn't even on the fighting game list that is worthy to be mentioned)

You see, nobody watches Mortal Kombat at tournaments because the game is too easy, unbalanced and clunky. Overall, it's boring to play and watch.

Street Fighter actually takes skill and footing. Street Fighter has the hypest moments of all fighting game history., While fighting game fanatics have no interest in the MK series.

Don't get me wrong, MK is still a very good game, It's just street fighter and many other fighting games are way above mortal kombats league due to gameplay. The only thing that makes MK stand out is its story and characters (That I don't find interesting at all). But people who actually play fighting games Gameplay > Story. It's what made street fighter and marvel vs capcom what they are today.

Most casual players would vote for MK because it's easier and has a story in the disc of the game.

JuzaCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokuss4z: practice. Its all about knowing what to do in situations. Also, practice your combos and timing until its embedded in your muscle memory. People just want to pick up and play, as they say. But trust me, knowing how to actually play makes the game much more fun.

When I play a fighting game that requires practice and skill, I go straight to training mode for however long until I have the mechanics in my muscle memory.

Street Fighter>>> MK

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juzacloud: That's why I think mortal kombat is better I don't have much time to game or practice to get good at it. The fun part of mortal Kombat is even after a few days you can get really good at it take a break for a few months and pick it back up.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Blade_R

Mortal Kombat for me in all categories. I have always preferred its characters, story, gameplay, stages, music everything over Street Fighter's. I like SF though, but I prefer MK.

@doctor_wheatley said:

What is more hyped at EVO tournaments? Street Fighter or Marvel Vs Capcom? (Mortal Kombat isn't even on the fighting game list that is worthy to be mentioned)

You see, nobody watches Mortal Kombat at tournaments because the game is too easy, unbalanced and clunky. Overall, it's boring to play and watch.

Street Fighter actually takes skill and footing. Street Fighter has the hypest moments of all fighting game history., While fighting game fanatics have no interest in the MK series.

Don't get me wrong, MK is still a very good game, It's just street fighter and many other fighting games are way above mortal kombats league due to gameplay. The only thing that makes MK stand out is its story and characters (That I don't find interesting at all). But people who actually play fighting games Gameplay > Story. It's what made street fighter and marvel vs capcom what they are today.

Most casual players would vote for MK because it's easier and has a story in the disc of the game.

Do you follow the FGC? SF is still top dog in the FGC but the things highlighted are false. MKX had more entrees at EVO this year than every other game besides USF4 and Smash Bros., that means it beat out Tekken 7, UMVC3, Killer Instinct, Persona 4, Skullgirls, Guilty Gear and everything else there. The only games that got more views/streams at EVO 2015 were USF4 and SSBBM, with a lot of Smash's being credited to being on right before SF.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/jul/01/evo-2015-bests-previous-registration-records-yet-again-see-full-numbers-each-game-here/

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/jul/22/which-game-was-most-watched-sunday-peak-viewer-totals-evo-2015s-main-stage-during-grand-finals-collected/

MK still has a way to go to be considered a constant competitive fighting game, but MKX is a step in the right direction and people outside of the MK community are paying attention, even Justin Wong, Maxmillion Dood, and Godspeed tried competing in MKX at Combobreaker this year.

@fallingcliffs: I am curious to hear your thoughts on this as well.

Avatar image for doctor_wheatley
Doctor_Wheatley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: Mhm, sometimes when i'm bored.

How many entrees did MKX get? I know USF4 has around 230 entrees.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctor_wheatley: At EVO 2015 MKX had 1,162 entrees which is less than USF4 and the two Smash Bros games but still more than Tekken 7, UMVC3, Killer Instinct, Persona 4, Guilty Gear, Skullgirls etc.