Morrison vs Snyder

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Batnandez

Does anyone else like Morrison's bat stuff more than Snyder's. I like Snyder's bat suff, but compared to Morrison's work it seems kind of dull.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AtPhantom

Snyder's good... but he's not really great. I think he still has a few things left to learn. Morrison was just awesome.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Superguy0009e

Snyder is a really good dark story teller that can keep anyone interested from even the first page.

Morrison is more of a comic book writer that can intertwine seemly stupid silver age ideas into modern works.

I like them both.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
Morrison. It's not even a contest.
the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By the_tree

I like Morrison's run on Batman far more. The best thing Snyder wrote was The Black Mirror, I wasn't a fan of Gates of Gotham (although he only co-wrote), and Court of Owls overall was good, but it started to fizzle out about halfway through.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By JohnnyWalker

snyder is the small awkward child that plays in the sandbox, while morrison owns the sand.

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By kingjoeg

Scott Snyder is better on batman. Grant Morrison's batman is too light hearted and weird for me.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gunmetalgrey

I like them both for different reasons, but I can honestly say I enjoy Morrison's work more and by a significant margin.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#9  Edited By Cavemold

Scott Snyder doesn't have delays, GM Inc is more like his old run of Batman and robin. I'd take snyder as of now.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Lvenger

@Superguy0009e said:

Snyder is a really good dark story teller that can keep anyone interested from even the first page.

Morrison is more of a comic book writer that can intertwine seemly stupid silver age ideas into modern works.

I like them both.

NewKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NewKid

i love them both, their writing is so different from each other, but equally awesome.

jonEsherfey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jonEsherfey

Morrison. While Snyder is doing a great job on Batman Morrison is better.

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Batnandez

Hmmm... it seems a lot of people agree w/ me. I'm just surprised listening to the podcast that G-Man and Babs seem to like Snyder's run more. The Black Mirror was awesome though and I'm looking forward to seeing what Scott does w/ the Joker, The Court Of Owls fizzled out for me too.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By TDK_1997

Snyder did a good job in the Batman universe but Morrison was far better and did things with the character that no one can imagine.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By entropy_aegis

Morrison easy,Snyder dropped the ball big time with the Court of Owls.

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

#16  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

I much proffered Morrisons run the only thing I din't like was the first series of Batman Inc and the end to RIP. I only really liked Snyders Detective run cause of Jock's art and Court of Owls was disappointing although I'm looking forward to the return of the Joker

cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cc1738

Morrison is garbage. I hate everything he does. Snyder is way better. At least he is capable of writing a coherent story.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By daredevil21134

@entropy_aegis said:

lol

cuddles666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cuddles666

@Batnandez said:

Does anyone else like Morrison's bat stuff more than Snyder's. I like Snyder's bat suff, but compared to Morrison's work it seems kind of dull.

Yeah. I stopped after the first issue of New52 Batman. Batman Inc. has been awesome every single time.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Synder, Honestly, not a big fan of Morrison 

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Batnandez

@entropy_aegis said:

Did you read this months issue? I know they pulled it in some places but I read it and it was AWESOME.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By minigunman123

@entropy_aegis said:

How? I thought it was by far the best part of the New 52 thus far.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd go with Snyder. Morrison's good also. I liked Court of the Owls better than RIP, but I liked them both. COTO didn't fizzle out at all for me. Each issue was so different from the previous one, IMHO, that I never felt like "End this already" In fact, when it was over, I was like "Wow..what now?" Besides, issue #5 was better/more unique/more creative than any book, from any series, I've read since about the mid 80's. (And there was no better time for comics than the early to mid 80's)

Romulus9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Romulus9000

@Morpheus_ said:

this.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#25  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Never could get into Morrison's work, but I've loved Snyder's work on Batman.

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By _Black

Morrison. I like Snyder a lot too though.

cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cc1738

@cuddles666: Batman Inc is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. The art sucks and the concept isn't even worth checking out. You missed a good story with the court of owls. That got really good after issue two. The first issue was slow, but after that it was amazing.

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ratman19

@cuddles666 said:

@Batnandez said:

Yeah. I stopped after the first issue of New52 Batman. Batman Inc. has been awesome every single time.

i felt the same way, the first couple issues bored me so i dropped it. i like snyder alot more on swamp thing

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By entropy_aegis

@minigunman123 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

How? I thought it was by far the best part of the New 52 thus far.

He introduced no name/faceless villains,tells us that the said faceless villains are awesome and have been ruling and scheming for centuries,then he introduces Batman's long lost brother and has him kill the faceless villains off panel.What exactly was the point of the Court again?

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AtPhantom

@entropy_aegis said:

He introduced no name/faceless villains,tells us that the said faceless villains are awesome and have been ruling and scheming for centuries,then he introduces Batman's long lost brother and has him kill the faceless villains off panel.What exactly was the point of the Court again?

OWLS!!!

I really freaking hated the long lost brother. I didn't mind the facelessness of the Owls, because honestly Batman needs a few villains like that. But Thomas Wayne can go die in a swamp.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By entropy_aegis

@AtPhantom said:

@entropy_aegis said:

OWLS!!!

I really freaking hated the long lost brother. I didn't mind the facelessness of the Owls, because honestly Batman needs a few villains like that. But Thomas Wayne can go die in a swamp.

I honestly dont even want to start on the owl absurdity,lets see:

They killed Alfreds father

They killed Alan Wayne

Dick was supposed to be a Talon

An Owl ate a Bat(WTF?)

They may have killed Martha and Thomas

They kidnapped Bruce's younger brother

They have hideouts inside Wayne buildings

They rule Gotham

They have a zombie ninja army

They send the zombies after hordes of influential people including Penguin,the mayor and a military brigade etc(so what exactly were they ruling in the first place?)

And they died faceless with the attention turning to a character who was revealed as Batman's brother and the main villain despite having only like 7 pages worth of appearances(prior to the big reveal) in a story that spanned 10 issues,an annual and another dozen or so issues thanks to the crossover.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

Snyder has proven himself to be a more than capable writer (see: The Black Mirror and Severed), but his Batman work has been dull and uninteresting.

My biggest issue with The Court of Owls is how strikingly similar it is to Morrison's The Black Glove and RIP. A secret, elite group of villains have been hiding in the background of Bruce's life plotting to destroy him. Batman is pushed to his limit, but overcomes it (and in Court of Owls, he defeats the first talon in the labyrinth in a deus ex machina moment), defeats the shadowy organization and it is revealed that the person at the center of this group of villains is in fact a relative of Bruce.

Oh and just a heads up Scott, if you're reading this (I know you aren't)-- a metaphor loses it's punch when it is literally spelt out to the reader through an internal narrative or in dialogue. The idea of using owls as the villains of this story would have been neat if it hadn't been spelt out about a dozen times that owls are the natural predators of bats. I've noticed this in Snyder's writing through nearly all of his books, he doesn't seem confident in letting his audience figure out his metaphors, so he always spells them out and makes the metaphor less potent.

Snyder is a good, new writer-- hopefully he finds more confidence in his writing and brings some of the subtlety that was in Severed over to his Batman run. As it stands though, his 12 issues of Batman don't come even close to comparing to Morrison shockingly brilliant run on Batman.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Gambit1024

I prefer Snyder. It's easier to read month to month. Morrison's was great, but his Batman run was a b*tch to read month to month.

On a grand scale, Morrison's blows Snyder's out of the water, but Snyder hasn't told his Joker story yet.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AtPhantom

@RockyRaccoon37 said:

My biggest issue with The Court of Owls is how strikingly similar it is to Morrison's The Black Glove and RIP. A secret, elite group of villains have been hiding in the background of Bruce's life plotting to destroy him. Batman is pushed to his limit, but overcomes it (and in Court of Owls, he defeats the first talon in the labyrinth in a deus ex machina moment), defeats the shadowy organization and it is revealed that the person at the center of this group of villains is in fact a relative of Bruce.

I noticed this too, and honestly once you notice it it's hard not to see the similarities everywhere.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Morpheus_ said:

This.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Deranged Midget

While Snyder is still at a young stage, I still prefer his work over the majority of Morrison's.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By minigunman123

@entropy_aegis said:

@AtPhantom said:

@entropy_aegis said:

OWLS!!!

I honestly dont even want to start on the owl absurdity,lets see:

They killed Alfreds father

They killed Alan Wayne

Dick was supposed to be a Talon

An Owl ate a Bat(WTF?)

They may have killed Martha and Thomas

They kidnapped Bruce's younger brother

They have hideouts inside Wayne buildings

They rule Gotham

They have a zombie ninja army

They send the zombies after hordes of influential people including Penguin,the mayor and a military brigade etc(so what exactly were they ruling in the first place?)

And they died faceless with the attention turning to a character who was revealed as Batman's brother and the main villain despite having only like 7 pages worth of appearances(prior to the big reveal) in a story that spanned 10 issues,an annual and another dozen or so issues thanks to the crossover.

Of all of these, I do dislike the continuity rewriting a bit; though the only other part I dislike was that they died faceless and pretty much died down all at once without any big dramatic climax. I don't even know how it could have been fixed, but it feels like it's unfinished. They should be a continuing villainous force like N.O.W.H.E.R.E. seems to be.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thespideyguy

Morrison is just weird snyder is better.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By minigunman123

@thespideyguy said:

Morrison is just weird snyder is better.

I've never even read anything by Morrison. I just know he's supposed to be great.

TERMINATORXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TERMINATORXX

Synder

Mezzaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Court of Owls was sh*t, Death of the Family was brilliant at points, sh**y at others. Zero Year looks promising, a lot better than Year One anyway. My biggest problem with Snyder's run is it is TOO DAMN DARK. Like sh*t, Snyder, I lived in the 90's. They were cool and everything, but I had ten years of that. I don't want any more. We aren't in the age where heroes scare the dark, we're in the age where heroes are a mix of light and dark. Morrison's Batman managed to be dark and gritty while simultaneously being campy and fun. It's like if you threw '60's Batman with 90's Batman.

Snyder is a descent writer, nothing special (like most long-term Bat-writers), but Morrison is absolutely fantastic at every turn. He started with a page showing Batman shoot the JOKER. Sure, it wasn't actually the Batman who did it, but it was still something that really showed you Morrison isn't afraid to get down and dirty and take chances and new directions.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure Snyder would be a lot better as the main Batman writer pre-New 52 where creators were allowed more freedoms. His Black Mirror was a masterpiece and if he brought that kind of game to Batman, I would be happy picking it up month-to-month.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

I prefer Morrison's

Avatar image for superkryptonian
superkryptonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison is the superior of the 2 now but in few years Snyder will surpass him

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By reignmaker

I look at Snyder's work as more of a return to classic, straightforward Batman stories. Overall, I think he's been very good. He does take lazy shortcuts from time to time in utilizing his plot devices, but overall I think Batman is one of the stronger titles out there right now. A lot of credit has to go to his partner also, Greg Capullo.

I like Grant Morrison. He's undeniably a legend in this industry. All Star Superman and his JLA work is some of my favorite stuff to this day. I did get bored with his Batman run for a couple of reasons: first, I felt like he went out of his way to be weird purely for the sake of it. I'm here for the story, not for all these crazy nods to the silver age. Secondly, his artists were really inconsistent, and many times kind of bad. Getting back to his writing though, of his entire run I think Batman & Robin (with Dick and Damian) was probably the high point.

Since joining the Vine, I've noticed a lot of condescension directed at Snyder fans, and most seems to come from the diehard Morrison fans. I frequently hear stuff like "watered down," "real batman," etc. etc. when Morrison fans argue why he's superior. Morrison has undoubtedly contributed a great deal, but I think a lot of his fans forget that there were great Batman stories before Morrison and there will be great Batman stories after Morrison. Snyder might not be your cup of tea, but I think he's at least respectful of the lore. While it can be annoying when new fans call his stuff "the best Batman ever!," try not to bite their heads off just because you happened to jump on-board when the previous writer was having his day.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison of course.

Mezzaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mezzaro

I look at Snyder's work as more of a return to classic, straightforward Batman stories. Overall, I think he's been very good. He does take lazy shortcuts from time to time in utilizing his plot devices, but overall I think Batman is one of the stronger titles out there right now. A lot of credit has to go to his partner also, Greg Capullo.

I like Grant Morrison. He's undeniably a legend in this industry. All Star Superman and his JLA work is some of my favorite stuff to this day. I did get bored with his Batman run for a couple of reasons: first, I felt like he went out of his way to be weird purely for the sake of it. I'm here for the story, not for all these crazy nods to the silver age. Secondly, his artists were really inconsistent, and many times kind of bad. Getting back to his writing though, of his entire run I think Batman & Robin (with Dick and Damian) was probably the high point.

Since joining the Vine, I've noticed a lot of condescension directed at Snyder fans, and most seems to come from the diehard Morrison fans. I frequently hear stuff like "watered down," "real batman," etc. etc. when Morrison fans argue why he's superior. Morrison has undoubtedly contributed a great deal, but I think a lot of his fans forget that there were great Batman stories before Morrison and there will be great Batman stories after Morrison. Snyder might not be your cup of tea, but I think he's at least respectful of the lore. While it can be annoying when new fans call his stuff "the best Batman ever!," try not to bite their heads off just because you happened to jump on-board when the previous writer was having his day.

Personally, Alan Grant's Shadow of the Bat is what got me into comics in the first place. I really have NEVER enjoyed super dark and gritty Batman and am happy that they made a point of his anti-anti-Hero stance during Knightfall/Quest/End. I am a HUGE Morrison fan because he takes all of the weird stuff and brings it down to Earth and has made Batman someone I can really connect with. He made Damian someone I can really connect with. The only time I connected with Snyder's Batman is at the end of Death of the Family. No, he isn't a bad writer. No, I don't hate you for liking him. I just can't, for the life of me, understand why people think he is the absolute best when he has brought nothing NEW to the table.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By reignmaker

@mezzaro said:

Personally, Alan Grant's Shadow of the Bat is what got me into comics in the first place. I really have NEVER enjoyed super dark and gritty Batman and am happy that they made a point of his anti-anti-Hero stance during Knightfall/Quest/End. I am a HUGE Morrison fan because he takes all of the weird stuff and brings it down to Earth and has made Batman someone I can really connect with. He made Damian someone I can really connect with. The only time I connected with Snyder's Batman is at the end of Death of the Family. No, he isn't a bad writer. No, I don't hate you for liking him. I just can't, for the life of me, understand why people think he is the absolute best when he has brought nothing NEW to the table.

Yeah, I can understand some of that. I remember that KnightsEnd Azrael confrontation too. Good stuff.

I think Snyder's book is getting a lot of praise because of Capullo, I really do. I also think he had a lot of momentum behind him when he picked up this job because of his breakout Gotham work in Black Mirror. To me, Snyder writes like a fan. He loves these characters and he understands most of them. But I think some people are upset with the fact that he hasn't been writing a whole lot of status-quo changing stories. You could pretty much read Court of the Owls, Death of the Family, or Zero Year in any order and it wouldn't really make a difference on your experience.

If you're looking for NEW though, I think Zero Year is going to deliver the goods in that department. It's much more colorful and vibrant than most Batman stories, which I like. And the rearrangement of the origin looks like it's going to be interesting.

Mezzaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I can understand some of that. I remember that KnightsEnd Azrael confrontation too. Good stuff.

I think Snyder's book is getting a lot of praise because of Capullo, I really do. I also think he had a lot of momentum behind him when he picked up this job because of his breakout Gotham work in Black Mirror. To me, Snyder writes like a fan. He loves these characters and he understands most of them. But I think some people are upset with the fact that he hasn't been writing a whole lot of status-quo changing stories. You could pretty much read Court of the Owls, Death of the Family, or Zero Year in any order and it wouldn't really make a difference on your experience.

If you're looking for NEW though, I think Zero Year is going to deliver the goods in that department. It's much more colorful and vibrant than most Batman stories, which I like. And the rearrangement of the origin looks like it's going to be interesting.

I do look forward to Zero Year because I love the Riddler and I'm curious how Snyder will write him. And it isn't so much status-quo changing stories I want, it's just new stories. I'm in a similar thread at CBR and someone brought up the points that Joker has always said he's known who the Batman and family are. So why did this tear them apart? They were together through the death of Alfred, Jason Todd, the crippling of Batgirl etc. Why did this one insignificant thing tear them apart? Even when the Joker had NO PROOF? I don't know, the Joker knowing is weak in my opinion. I always kind of just assumed he did in the first place.

Court of the Owls? A mysterious group run by a long-lost family member that has been controlling Gotham and attempting to destroy Batman for years, also may have been the ones responsible for the death of Thomas and Martha. Sounds a lot like RIP to me, but that may just be me for all I know.

Greg's art is really the main reason I still buy the series, but I do look forward to Snyder's run to see if he can really get me going.