More Disappointing Interpretation: IM3 Mandarin or AOU Ultron?

• 100 results
Avatar image for psychopsychology
PsychoPsychology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll More Disappointing Interpretation: IM3 Mandarin or AOU Ultron? (126 votes)

Iron Man 3's Mandarin 79%
Age of Ultron's Ultron 21%

What was the more disappointing character interpretation: The Mandarin fake-out of Iron Man 3 or Ultron's controversial humor in Avengers 2: Age of Ultron?

• 
I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorxhadesx420: I almost cried the first time i watched it. There's nothing wrong with that. That scene was very emotional.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By MAZAHS117

IM3/Mandarin in a WTFstomp

Maybe the biggest waste of an incredible actor (Ben Kingsley) I've ever seen O_•

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I thought both were good.

I know, I know, burn the Heretic.

So what I liked them, I liked the twist in IM3 to get us know it all comic book readers.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@granitesoldier: I loved the twist ending. So did my wife. But, I completely understand why nerds hated it.

Panthers8901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultron was probably my favorite villain yet

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ultron was bad

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
EmperorxHadesx420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_am_lightning: Please explain to me how a scene within the first 25 mins is emotional??

Like seriously no part in that whole movie was worth crying over.Except fanboys.You cried,and I laughed hard.Why?Because of you.

I kept thinking who the fu*k Cry's over this?Lol. A sensitive person/fanboy that's who.

Avatar image for psychopsychology
PsychoPsychology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest argument against Ultron being a great villain is that he is very cheesy. Yes, there are implications that he was based off of Tony, and yes he did do many villainy things, but in the end he was simply a roger moore bond villain, not what many were familiar with or expecting. I entered the theater hoping for the marvel equivalent of Terminator 2, but left with no such thing. Age of Ultron was a decent movie and had some really good moments and character developments, but I couldn't stand Ultron. I saw it twice, the second time hoping for a more objective viewing, but I only hated his character more. It may be nitpicking, but Ultron wasn't Ultron, and he wasn't Tony Stark: he was James Spader.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@_mongul said:

I had problems with Ultron, but there were redeeming qualities.

Mandarin was just awful all around.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

#53 Posted by GraniteSoldier (10922 posts) - 42 minutes, 39 seconds ago - Show Bio

I thought both were good.

I know, I know, burn the Heretic.

So what I liked them, I liked the twist in IM3 to get us know it all comic book readers.

^^THIS^^

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:
@allstarsuperman said:

Ultron.....wasn't bad at all......

@theacidskull said:

Ya'll are out of your minds. Ultron was fantabulous.

Mandarin was... a guy named Trevor.

The Mandarin was Trevor....

@i_am_lightning said:

What the actual fu*k, people are saying Ultron was bad? What the actual flying fu*k.

@heatblaze123 said:
@jayc1324 said:

@psychopsychology: "Scream and your entire staff dies" Cutting off that guys arm who gave him the vibranium. Beating up Thor single handedly. Being able to be anywhere at once. He was pretty threatening to me.

@cloakx14 said:
@thor_parker82 said:

Ultron was an awesome villain.

Homer_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

I had problems with Ultron, but there were redeeming qualities.

Mandarin was just awful all around.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 zaied  Online

Ultron.

strangetales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultron felt like a joke villian... I couldn't take him seriously. I wish he was more serious, he would have been a lot more menacing

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Ultron. I really don't care about the Mandarin so I couldn't be disappointed.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank god the MCU aren't taking control of F4, I don't want a comedic Dr. Doom. Fox and WB are good at handling villains.

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Even though I didn't care about the Mandarin he disappointed me a lot but still not as worse as Ultron. He started out pretty well in the movie but with the movie progressing it got worse.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither disappointed me. I love Trevor Slattery and I wish Ultron was a little bit more serious but I understand he was imprinted off Tony Starks personality so...

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Neither disappointed me. I love Trevor Slattery and I wish Ultron was a little bit more serious but I understand he was imprinted off Tony Starks personality so...

this (you got a follow btw)

Ultron was Awesome, could he have been more menacing? yes but I thought they did a great job with Ultron. Trevor Slattery was hilarious and I loved it,so I vote neither.

Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: Me too. I'm probably the odd one out here, but I believe movie Loki was a horrible villain.

L. D.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23 said:

Thank god the MCU aren't taking control of F4, I don't want a comedic Dr. Doom. Fox and WB are good at handling villains.

Lex 'LAND Miss Tessmacher!' Luthor, Galacticloud, and Barakapool say 'hi'.

EmperorxHadesx420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_am_lightning: I can't.You forever branded with the "you cried at the Hulk & Black Widow scene".

I won't never forget it.You will always be remembered by that to me.Lol.

So,why don't you stop trolling AoU threads and saying the same thing over & over.No one cares about your opinion that its a great movie when you cried 25 mins into the movie.

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By _Mongul

It's not even like Ultron was bad. He was actually pretty awesome.

That intro scene of Ultron, Jarvis, and the party is one of my favorites in any CBM.

I was impressed by Ultron's initial appearance, but as the movie went on he began to dissapoint. So I'm conflicted.

EmperorxHadesx420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorxhadesx420: no. Why would i be? Because a chimp like you can't stop beating a dead horse?

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger: wow Lool you had to track back hard. Over the recent years they've been better.

Ra's Al Ghul (Batman Begins)

Scarecrow (Batman Begins)

Joker (The Dark Knight)

Bane (The Dark Knight)

Zod (Man Of Steel)

Faora (Man Of Steel)

Sebastian Shaw (X-Men First Class)

Magneto (X-Men Days Of Future Past)

Sentinels (X-Men Days Of Future Past)

Mystique (X-Men Days Of Future Past)

Please tell me 10 villains in the MCU movies that compete with these guys. You know what I'll even let you use Kingpin.

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23 said:

@tyger: wow Lool you had to track back hard. Over the recent years they've been better.

Joker (The Dark Knight)

Bane (The Dark Knight)

Zod (Man Of Steel)

Faora (Man Of Steel)

Please tell me 10 villains in the MCU movies that compete with these guys. You know what I'll even let you use Kingpin.

No Caption Provided

EmperorxHadesx420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_am_lightning: they posed a threat to MOS which is something that the MCU struggles with, with their comedic style. There was also parts of their characters you can feel sorry for them because of what they've lost.

And Faora is the epitome of a badass, more than Destroyer, Malekith, Whiplash, Ronan, Mandarin I'll stop there before I just list all the MCU villain list.

Tectonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't a fan of Ultron but Mandarin wins in a landslide.

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: i not even once felt anything for them. Faora was cool in some scenes, i have to agree, but Zod was lame af.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23 said:

Joker (The Dark Knight)

Bane (The Dark Knight)

Zod (Man Of Steel)

Faora (Man Of Steel)

I didn't have to go back that far... Lex made a comeback in Singer's Superman Returns, Barakapool was in Origins, and Galacticloud was in the last FF movie.

As it is, you took properties from 2 studios. If I REALLY wanted to backward into Batman and Superman... (and the Sentinels were mindless robots. Cool looking mindless robots, but Micheal Bay does that once or twice a year.)

The point not has who or more or better, just that being from 'studio x' isn't going to be any kind of guarantee of success.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By _Mongul

@i_am_lightning: Gonna have to disagree with you there, Zod was a test-tube baby born and bred for a single purpose; Ensure Kryptonians survive. That's everything to him, his life purpose. Zod seems Clark as the killer of their species and the robber of his purpose. All Zod wants to do is ensure his people survive, just like Clark with humans. He's a very tragic character, and I sympathize with him to a degree.

Zod and Ultron actually share very similar qualities, I'm surprised you couldn't relate them.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger: The mindless robots could be done in multiple ways though, think about it Ultron bots weren't even a threat to the Avengers like at all. We see what the sentinels are capable of at the beginning of DOFP when we see the only mutants that are left are hiding because their fearing what they could do. And when the Sentinels track them, they kill them within 3 minutes.

How did MCU deal with a army of robots with a mind, well the Avengers were greatly outnumbered and even the likes of Hawkeye and Black Widow survived, ehhh not really threatening.

I picked those two because they have the best villains in CBM's IMO.

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul: maybe it's the way he was portrayed. I just didn't like the way he behaved and/or acted. Yeah, there are parallels, but in the end i felt for Utron and nothing for Zod. Opinions and subjectivity, as i've said in the past.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23 said:

@tyger: The mindless robots could be done in multiple ways though, think about it Ultron bots weren't even a threat to the Avengers like at all. We see what the sentinels are capable of at the beginning of DOFP when we see the only mutants that are left are hiding because their fearing what they could do. And when the Sentinels track them, they kill them within 3 minutes.

How did MCU deal with a army of robots with a mind, well the Avengers were greatly outnumbered and even the likes of Hawkeye and Black Widow survived, ehhh not really threatening.

I picked those two because they have the best villains in CBM's IMO.

Time travel allows for characters to die without consequence, allowing a significant power and threat upgrade. First generation Sentinels didn't do all that much, but they were a symptom, not the problem. Trask and Magneto were. Similarly, Ultron Prime was the threat, the bots were just a distraction.

MCU started with Incredible Hulk in 2008.

Fox has been going with X-Men, which started in 2000. FF started in 2005. (Earlier, if you count the one that was so bad, it was recalled.)

Superman the Movie came out in 1978.

You're trying to compare MCU to 2 companies with nearly 4 decades of history to draw on before MCU even started.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest argument against Ultron being a great villain is that he is very cheesy. Yes, there are implications that he was based off of Tony, and yes he did do many villainy things, but in the end he was simply a roger moore bond villain, not what many were familiar with or expecting. I entered the theater hoping for the marvel equivalent of Terminator 2, but left with no such thing. Age of Ultron was a decent movie and had some really good moments and character developments, but I couldn't stand Ultron. I saw it twice, the second time hoping for a more objective viewing, but I only hated his character more. It may be nitpicking, but Ultron wasn't Ultron, and he wasn't Tony Stark: he was James Spader.

This guy gets it.

Trevor was bad, and a major disappointment, but who cares about Mandarin? And also, if you're going to kick your audience in the delicate bits, at least have a really accomplished actor do it. He was a bad rendition of the Mandarin, but he was the best portrayal of that version of the character that we could hope for, if that makes sense. The worst thing about the Mandarin, by comparison, is that Iron Man has so few reputable villains, that using the most famous one in that way is perhaps an unfortunate decision. Whereas Ultron was supposed to be the biggest threat the Avengers as a whole have faced.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger: that doesn't take away from the fact that the sentinels were a threat. Not to mention Magneto's plan couldn't if been pulled off without the sentinels.

Ultron wasn't even a threat, he was a terrible villain that's my point.

I didn't mention a villain from 4 decades ago, in fact I made the oldest villain on the list Ra's intentionally. My point was that Fox & WB/DC in general their villains are good whereas with the MCU they are decent or terrible. And MCU started with Ironman by the way.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ultron was a good villain just iffy at times. The jokes didnt make him look menacing and his personality was a little off at times . DC wins in the villain department bigtime

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I wasn't actually phased about the whole Mandarin thing, I actually found it quite amusing. Probably because I never got into the comic book version of the character.

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Gambit474

Ultron definitely. Sure ultron would be considered good villain in that film if he wasn't suppose to be Ultron, but Ultron is not sarcastic nor does he have Stark's personality. He was Ultron in name but not in heart. If you were to tell me that this Ultron would be the one to kill everyone on Earth then I would laugh in your face, but comic book Ultron..he was a villain worth taking seriously. He was TOO human..After reading Ultron in the books, it was just incredibly awkward watching him act that way. Having Ultron act like that was about as dumb as things like Ghost Rider moving around like he was the girl from the Grudge. It would have been much better if they just kept his original origin in tact with Pym as the creator.

After watching Daredevil, it's disappointing how Marvel can do a great job on Kingpin with Vincent yet a terrible job on Ultron. Spader was great, but yeah..It's also a little disappointing that so many actually like this portrayal of Ultron. Ultron felt more like he was a villain out of a Transformers movie. I'm gonna have to put him up there with bad portrayals like Venom, Ghost Rider, and such

vptwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if we are gonna compare bad marvel villians it'd have to me mandarin vs galactus.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By BlackLegRaph

I found Ultron to be good. Actually felt he was treated better than Loki.

Mandarin was just not up to snuff.