more Christian/Catholic heroes in marvel

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I noticed marvel(comics in general for that matter) dont seem to have a lot of representatives of the Christian faith. They have Thor for norse religion and wonder woman for greek and so on. But why not have more angelic representatives? I was excited to hear that Angela was coming to marvel but disappointed to hear shes an asgardian. Now in a publication sense, get it and its a smart move but whats wrong with having a divine hero? The closest person i can think of is ghost rider but he sits on the line between heaven and hell

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably due to sensitivity or some such noise. Or least that's what I notice when Christian threads pop up, compared to Norse or Greek ones...there's always some kinda fight that happens and it gets out of hand.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By TheDandyMan

Some could get offended by the topic I suppose. If you want to know about superheroes that have faith but aren't directly linked to conventional religion however then this is the place to learn: Comic Book Religion.

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They hint at it without coming right out and saying it. i.e. Nightwing having cds of Christian rock bands.

Religion is a sensitive subject. *shrug*

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By goonage

I think Spiderman is a protestant.

Daredevil is a confirmed catholic. Also, Ghost Rider (Blaze/Ketch- Not the current run) has plenty of christian stuff.

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just wondering because the idea is accepted with adaptations such as spectre, the presence, and that Angel from shadowpack and heaven is established many times as a real place in both marvel and DC. I just feel it wouldnt hurt to have a prominent representatives and still have him be cool like dante in the dante's inferno game. But thats just me. I would like to see a person that has a holy tool that can morph into any weapon or shielding and has a reasonable degree of super strength. He doesn't have to be "preachy" or have to clash with people like thor. What say you all? If marvel made a character like that, what would make that person readable for you?

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm inclined to say if hulk gets mad and wrecks jesus like he wrecks thor.. it'll result in massive rage all over. Didn't the ghost rider comic establish that the followers of both Allah and God are being led on by some spirit anyway?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

god no

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no.

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cresShadow

@princearagorn1: im not saying something to that extent. Just something like a heroic crusader like in diablo 3 or something

stambo42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By stambo42

Because the comics are published for American audiences, and in America unless stated otherwise it is assumed that everyone is Christian, though not necessarily devout. The devout characters are the ones where it's written into them.

If you're talking about including characters from actual Christian theology, they avoid it because they don't want to offend Christians by depicting omnipotent and infinite beings in a finite format, where the needs of the story necessitate fallibility.Even depictions of prophets would be considered sacrilegious in some sections?

I mean come on, why do you think almost all demons in comics follow Christian imagery? Because it's the assumed default of American culture. It's just safer to depict demons, so long as they stay short of Lucifer.

Of course Lucifer got his own comic, which I've heard is very good and plan on reading... but how do you think Christians responded to that? eh?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stambo42 said:

Because the comics are published for American audiences, and in America unless stated otherwise it is assumed that everyone is Christian, though not necessarily devout. The devout characters are the ones where it's written into them.

If you're talking about including characters from actual Christian theology, they avoid it because they don't want to offend Christians by depicting omnipotent and infinite beings in a finite format, where the needs of the story necessitate fallibility.Even depictions of prophets would be considered sacrilegious in some sections?

I mean come on, why do you think almost all demons in comics follow Christian imagery? Because it's the assumed default of American culture. It's just safer to depict demons, so long as they stay short of Lucifer.

Of course Lucifer got his own comic, which I've heard is very good and plan on reading... but how do you think Christians responded to that? eh?

Probably not as bad, if they were able to get him in comics and make him have his own series. Although then that's just being biased imo, but...eh. /Shrug

The whole sensitivity thing really needs to be taken down a few notches.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really think we need much more, I think having just a couple of characters to represent a group is fine, although realistically more superheroes would be Christians than the 5 or so we have. It's the most common religion in America and most of these stories take place there.

Daredevil is an awesome, popular character and part of what makes him interesting and dynamic is his beliefs. Same goes for Nightcrawler as well.

Are there any Christian characters in DC other than someone like the Spectre? I can't think of even one.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

You already have divine characters in Marvel, just not of the Christian variety.

The problem arises if you make such a character then starts having it interact with other faith-based characters.

• If you show it as inferior or equal to, you get complaints from people who think their religion should be superior to the other character that they believe is less real than the one representing their faith.
  • If you show it as superior to these other characters, then you get the general comicbook fans along with un-religious on your back because they dont like being force fed heavy-handed propaganda or big tremors throughout their internal powerboard.

Also, Wonder Woman is DC, but just imagine you said Hercules :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Their are to many aliens in comics Christians don't like that.

Avatar image for surfingthehighway
SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's because Norse, Greek and Egyptian religions are pretty much extinct, whereas Christianism, Judaism and Islamism involve a great percentage of the world's population. Play your cards wrong and you might insult a great amount of readers, be they religious or atheists. No-one would be offended (at least not on a personal level) with the comic-book version of Odin or Ares.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spawn? Ghost Rider? Any of this ringing any bells?

Jmarshmallow

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmarshmallow: i already mention ghost rider. Spawn has always been a niche character

DarthVxder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We already have Lucifer and tbh his series is pretty interesting sometimes.

Also having a christian character get beaten by a norse god or just someone with powers will bring too much controversy and will most likely appear on the news and shxt. Imagine Thanos stomping Jesus or something, people would go crazy.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4