#1 Posted by MyFavoriteViltrumite23 (71 posts) - - Show Bio

I was on trope the other day and I noticed that the black and nerdy characters are looooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww and one of them got incinerated so what do you think of my post, and do you agree or disagree

#2 Posted by kingsloth (249 posts) - - Show Bio

how about more black uncle tom characters, I can't think of a single one in comics, but thats probably a good thing.

#3 Posted by lightsout (1823 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingsloth said:

how about more black uncle tom characters, I can't think of a single one in comics, but thats probably a good thing.

That literally made me snort-laugh. Kudos

#4 Posted by kingsloth (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout said:

@kingsloth said:

I say this as a half black person, not that i am not proud to be black, but I am just not as overtly proud as any superhero. When I read a comic I dont care what the main characters ethnicity is and it pisses me off when authors try to focus on the fact a character is black or gay or whatever, because ussually when comics do this it comes of really wrong. For example read the new 52 MR. Terrific or Static Shock, but characters were so proud they were black it was racially insensitive.

#5 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6155 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you looking for characters who are both black and nerdy? Or just more black, and more nerdy characters?

Who got incinerated?

#6 Posted by The Stegman (23258 posts) - - Show Bio

That's such a random thing to want more of, that's like me wanting more Japanese Vegan characters in comics. 

#7 Edited by BlackWind (5670 posts) - - Show Bio

Static is one. He's black, reads comics despite being a superhero himself, collects Pokemon cards, and likes science.

#8 Posted by JediXMan (29708 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind said:

Static is one. He's black, preads comics despite being a superhero himself, collects Pokemon cards, and likes science.

Bingo.

#9 Posted by JediXMan (29708 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by lightsout (1823 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingsloth said:

@lightsout said:

@kingsloth said:

I say this as a half black person, not that i am not proud to be black, but I am just not as overtly proud as any superhero. When I read a comic I dont care what the main characters ethnicity is and it pisses me off when authors try to focus on the fact a character is black or gay or whatever, because ussually when comics do this it comes of really wrong. For example read the new 52 MR. Terrific or Static Shock, but characters were so proud they were black it was racially insensitive.

Quoted for truth. Well said.

#11 Posted by UltraSuperTrooper (676 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr. Terrific?

#12 Posted by Captain_Yesterday (807 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem seems to best writers(who are mostly white) don't know how to write good Black charactors without typical stereotypes and cultural bias.

The new Stormwatch in this weeks All-Star Western had a part that was offense to both women and black people, IMO, and I'm a white male who's not easily offended.

I also don't know anything about Stormwatch so maybe it fit better than I thought, but still.

#13 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingsloth said:

@lightsout said:

@kingsloth said:

Preach.

There are some exceptions (Milestone's Static, for example), but for the most part, comics aren't really big on subtlety. Writers who try to focus on a character's specific ethnicity will keep pushing it down your throat every time the character makes an appearance...

#14 Posted by New_World_Order (12651 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/mr_creesy/the-100-greatest-black-comic-characters-from-marvel-and-dc/75-11341/?page=2

#15 Posted by Immortal777 (7009 posts) - - Show Bio

Blue Marvel would be nice.

Marvel why would you just not use such a good character.

#16 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio
@Immortal777 said:

I honestly don't get why they even created Adam.
#17 Posted by Immortal777 (7009 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: I don't get why Marvel made him either. I like Blue marvel as a character but there was no point in making him especially if Marvel wasn't going to use him anyway.

#18 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio
@Immortal777 said:

@Vance Astro: I don't get why Marvel made him either. I like Blue marvel as a character but there was no point in making him especially if Marvel wasn't going to use him anyway.

I think someone from Marvel stated when he was first created they didn't intend to use him for much. I didn't think it would be like this. He's like Marvelman now. Like Marvel acknowledges he exists but they refuse to use the character. Why not just kill him off and be done with it. Why gain fans for a character and then give him 0 exposure afterwards.
#19 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingsloth: Almost fully black, but suburban and all sorts of nerdy. I agree. If you're going to put a character's race at the forfront, do it to tell a good story. Perfect example is Milestone Static: good kid caught up in gang violence. Lets be honest, would that story really work if he were not black or latino and from a poor neighborhood? Not thats theres not poor white or Asian people...they're as welcome to live in the Hood and get lightning powers as anyone ^_^. But seriously, I won't pretend race doesn't matter. People tend to gravitate toward characters they can relate to. Unfortunately, a lot of the times its a superficial as skin color or sexual orientation. Then you have the dissenters that claim its being "thrown if their face" and other nonsense like that.

You know what I would like to read? A troubled white superpowered youth caught up with skinheads, in the spirit of American History X. I would love to read how he deals with his past.

#20 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Immortal777 said:

@Vance Astro

said:

@Immortal777 said:

I agree, I love the Blue Marvel but I am disappointed in his usage at Marvel, or lack of.

#21 Posted by kingsloth (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@kingsloth: Almost fully black, but suburban and all sorts of nerdy. I agree. If you're going to put a character's race at the forfront, do it to tell a good story. Perfect example is Milestone Static: good kid caught up in gang violence. Lets be honest, would that story really work if he were not black or latino and from a poor neighborhood? Not thats theres not poor white or Asian people...they're as welcome to live in the Hood and get lightning powers as anyone ^_^. But seriously, I won't pretend race doesn't matter. People tend to gravitate toward characters they can relate to. Unfortunately, a lot of the times its a superficial as skin color or sexual orientation. Then you have the dissenters that claim its being "thrown if their face" and other nonsense like that.

You know what I would like to read? A troubled white superpowered youth caught up with skinheads, in the spirit of American History X. I would love to read how he deals with his past.

well my favorite characters are white, I mean blade probably comes in the top 25 but thats about it. I agree story first if the race adds something make him black asian or whatever but dont focus on it and don't make them stereo types, I am from south Texas and I the hispanic characters in comics are even more pitiful than the blacks, besides rayner in how racially insensitive they are.

#22 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingsloth: My top three are white, pink, and white respecitively XD

#23 Posted by Immortal777 (7009 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: Marvel should have just killed Blue Marvel off when they introduced him instead of turning him into another Blade.

#24 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4654 posts) - - Show Bio

Letsss see we got

Cyborg, Static, Mr. Terrific, Giant-Man(I don;t remember his name. Bob something? Is he the one your talking about that died? Because he died.), T'Challa, and that's about it unless Miles Morales is nerdy too. I haven't read his books, but I am planning to now.

How about you name me 12 hispanic heroes... don't worry, I'll wait.

(+)

#25 Posted by lightsout (1823 posts) - - Show Bio

Ug..totally agree with the Blue Marvel comments. Cool character that is criminally underused (and this also makes people forget he's one of the most powerful heroes, and his "reason" for his powers has more validity to explain feats than most (in terms of the actual energy expended with feats, his ability to create anti-mater reactions actually does produce a huge amount of energy)).

#26 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there needs to be more female scientist characters in comics.

#27 Posted by TimeLordScience (776 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

That's such a random thing to want more of, that's like me wanting more Japanese Vegan characters in comics.

probably wants a character to relate to. That and the fact that he's asserting most black characters in comics are not nerds while there are several white nerdy characters, like Spider-man.

#28 Posted by SC (12731 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats all this talk of Blue Marvel? Whose this "Marvel guy" that didn't create him? Kevin Grevioux created Blue Marvel, and had the idea for him, for a long time. He pitched the character to Marvel with a mini series idea and the company said yes. There is no obligation for them to use the character from there on and kill him? What an overreaction and way to deny him to be used by other writers. It took a few years before Brian Michael Bendis decided to take Sentry from his mini series and use him in Marvel mainstream, why should Blue Marvel get special fast track treatment? I mean, personally I can think of reasons why Marvel should encourage writers to use that character - but much like the Sentry the characters use depends on a lot of factors like what characters writers want to use. Dan Slott planned to use him but his Avengers run got cut short.

If your a Blue Marvel fan and what him to be used? Don't ask Marvel to kill him, hit up writers and artists on Twitter or Formspring or get some email addresses at Marvel and tell the creators how much you love the character and why their writing would suit the character. Thats how Grant Morrison ended up writing Emma Frost and look what happened to her. No one should think the character will magically appear because of a small internet following. Are they stupid for not seeing the potential? Maybe, but potential doesn't pay bills and all characters have potential.

I'd be down for more black and nerdy characters, but also more black European characters and black Canadians as well. That and also more nerdy characters in general. I don't want it to sell the character though or be their defining characteristics. I just like balance and diversity. Society/world progresses intellectually and creatively and comics should try to keep up.

Moderator Online
#29 Edited by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i know their not nerdy characters, but i want marvel to use cloak & dagger more. Also give prodigy back his powers and put  on the x-men with kitty pryde. heck , maybe they can hook-up.

#30 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6155 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yung ANcient One said:

Letsss see we got

Cyborg, Static, Mr. Terrific, Giant-Man(I don;t remember his name. Bob something? Is he the one your talking about that died? Because he died.), T'Challa, and that's about it unless Miles Morales is nerdy too. I haven't read his books, but I am planning to now.

How about you name me 12 hispanic heroes... don't worry, I'll wait.

(+)

Renee Montoya, Gaucho, Vibe, Arana... That's all I can think of without cheating.

#31 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4654 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: WHOA (female) Question is Hispanic I didn't know, and some freebies are Blue Beetle, Zorro, Bane, El Dorado, Mas y Menos, and I just found out like 2 weeks ago that Miles Morales(New Ultimate Spider-Man) is too.

I'm not sure about Quake, Maria Hill, and Reptil. I keep thinking that I'm missing one more character that I like. (+)

#32 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6155 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yung ANcient One said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: WHOA (female) Question is Hispanic I didn't know, and some freebies are Blue Beetle, Zorro, Bane, El Dorado, Mas y Menos, and I just found out like 2 weeks ago that Miles Morales(New Ultimate Spider-Man) is too.

I'm not sure about Quake, Maria Hill, and Reptil. I keep thinking that I'm missing one more character that I like. (+)

I kinda thought Bane was, but I wasn't totally sure.

#33 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4654 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: He definitely is, Luchador inspired costume, and he called his bear Oso/osito; definitely Spanish. I personally wish they would state the characters specific ethnicity, or region. There is a difference from a Peruvian, a Dominican, a Mexican, a Cuban, and etc. Even if it's a small difference(culture,accent).

(+)

#34 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6155 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yung ANcient One said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: He definitely is, Luchador inspired costume, and he called his bear Oso/osito; definitely Spanish. I personally wish they would state the characters specific ethnicity, or region. There is a difference from a Peruvian, a Dominican, a Mexican, a Cuban, and etc. Even if it's a small difference(culture,accent).

(+)

I suppose it'd be nice to know where characters are from, their country at least.

#35 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4654 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose:

If you don't mind me asking; what's your ethnicity/cultural background?

(+)

#36 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6155 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yung ANcient One said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose:

If you don't mind me asking; what's your ethnicity/cultural background?

(+)

White. Mostly Scottish and Welsh.