Posted by k4tzm4n (39926 posts) - - Show Bio

Moon Knight - Where Do We Go Now?

Moon Knight can't seem to catch a break.  Marvel's street level anti-hero has always had a decent fanbase, but Marc Spector apparently can't hold his ground with Marvel.  Over the past few years, The Fist of Khonshu has had no luck with keeping a strong ongoing. 

The fantastic 2006 series brought the hero back in an extremely dark and powerful way.  He was at the bottom and readers religiously followed the stories of Marc's increasingly difficult life.  This bleak period in his life spawned 30 issues (plus a special and annual) before coming to an end with the awesome stories "The Death of Marc Spector" and "Down South." 

Marc would return with his own title in 2009, Vengeance of Moon Knight .  This had a promising start, sporting a heavily armored Marc with a renewed sense of justice.  He came back to New York in the Dark Reign infested world and was looking to make a difference.  But, a man can only do so much with just 10 issues.

For the latest take on the character, we have Moon Knight  by the immensely popular writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Alex Maleev (cue raving about their take on Daredevil ).  This run brought some huge changes to Marc.  He left his entire supporting cast behind in New York and traveled to Hollywood where he wanted to become a producer.  His mental well-being and case of multiple personality disorder went off the deep-end.  He was no longer restricted to being just Marc, Jake, Steven, and Moon Knight- he was now hallucinating and trying to be other Avengers.  But, with drastic change comes mixed results.  Lasting only 12 issues, this series received some pretty solid reviews.  However, a good chunk of Moon Knight fans (based on my conversations across multiple forums) weren't happy with such a massive change to the character.

You try to change the character too much and a good deal of the long-time fans protest... but if you try to do more of the same, it never seems to work.  So where do we go now with Moon Knight?  Is he simply a character that'll never stick, or is there a formula that can boost him to A-list status?  As a Moon Knight fanboy, I feel obligated to weigh in and share what I'd love to see for the character next time around.

-The Creative Team-
Moon Knight needs to strike a great blend of dark action and a strong connection to his supporting characters.  We know he can be more violent than the traditional hero, but we need a cast that'll evoke our emotions and make us give a damn about what's going on in his life.  Personally, I think Mike Benson (second half of the '06 run, Deadpool: Suicide Kings ), Rick Remender (Venom, Uncanny X-Force ), Christopher Yost (Scarlet SpiderX-Force ) or Ed Brubaker (Captain America ,Daredevil ) would all be excellent picks and could create exceptional Moon Knight stories.  As for the art, Mike Deodato Jr. or David Finch are without question the top picks.  Ryan Stegman has been absolutely delivering with Scarlet Spider,  so he'd also be a great fit. 

-The Character-
We've seen Marc at his worst (Civil War era) and we've seen him at his craziest (recent run), so how about we give the man's emotional scars a break and focus on returning him to a place inspired by his classic era (a la Dan Slott & Amazing Spider-Man).  He's once again loyal to Khonshu and a full moon increases his strength. But unlike recent events, this time around the God (who is real) doesn't call for Marc to create a body count... but instead demands for Marc to spread fear and respect for his deity.  This takes away the conflict he has with his agenda because that's something we've seen too many times before.  That story feels like it's on loop at this point and it would be nice to see a clear minded and focused Moon Knight doing what he does best: knocking out villains.

When it comes to his multiple personality disorder, I say throw the whole thing out the window.  He was never truly crazy (before the current run, of course); he created Jake and Steven for tactical reasons.  Jake was around to obtain information at a lower level, and Steven was there to get high level information and pose as a front for how he obtained his wealth (which was done through his years as a mercenary).  The different personalities would sometimes suggest different things, bur he was always in full control (best displayed in West Coast Avengers).  While I applaud Bendis' effort to bring new dynamics to the character, giving no solid explanation for the big change wasn't overlooked by many and I feel as though it was banking on most believing the stereotype that Marc is indeed bonkers.  After boosting the craziness in Hollywood, I say have him return to New York with a clear mind and finally realizes he doesn't need the personalities.  In the end, he's simply a hero, and his real personality (Marc Spector) proved that a long time ago Egypt by doing everything he could to stop Bushman.  Casting aside these personal issues we've seen time and time again will allow the writer to provide a heavier focus on the supporting cast (Marlene, Frenchie, etc) and greater plots surrounding villains posing the real threat instead of his own emotions.

-The Villains-

His rogues gallery is in dire need of the New 52 treatment.  Many haven't been seen in awhile and others just aren't exciting.  Bushman is his main foe, but at the end of the day he brings nothing special to the table.  He gave Marc a deliciously brutal fight in Vengeance, but aside from that, the guy was never that big of an obstacle.  When we last saw the villain he was losing his mind, so it might be interesting to see Bushman be the man to fill the title's crazy quota.  Seeing the likes of Morpheus and Deadzone return would be most welcome, and, dare I say it, find a way to give him an equivalent of the Sinister Six.  If these villains with an agenda against Moony aren't stacking up individually, have this crazy Bushman unite them. Ultimately, Mr. Spector simply needs bigger adversaries with bigger agendas.  In my opinion this will be one of many critical elements for his success.

-Increase His Role-

Moon Knight has a rich history of interacting with a lot of characters, but as of late he hasn't really done anything of any importance in the 616 Universe.  This should change if you want more people interested in him and having him fill the role of "supporting character #7" on a team book likely isn't going to cut it.  Giving him more respect and time in the spotlight among the super hero community will hopefully lead to more readers being curious about the character.  As much as I loathe forced cameos, make an effort to have him a part of the world he's in.  New York is packed with characters and it shouldn't be uncommon for him to be bumping shoulders and appearing in other titles. 

Are these suggestions something you'd like to see in Moon Knight's next title or do you have something else in mind for the anti-hero?  Or, do you think it's finally time for Moon Knight to just call it quits and spend a few years in limbo?  Feel free to speak your mind in the comments section below!  

source: my blog
Staff
#1 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

Want this one deleted too? Doesn't look like a blog.

#2 Posted by k4tzm4n (39926 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock: No, this is a blog. I just chose to have it go in general discussion as well.
Staff
#3 Posted by cosmicallyaware1 (4305 posts) - - Show Bio

sounds spot on! excellent "pitch", i feel this is 100% what the character needs. Always liked Moon knight........

#4 Posted by k4tzm4n (39926 posts) - - Show Bio
@cosmicallyaware1: Thanks!
Staff
#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Good ideas.

You of course know by now that I want Black Spectre to come back.

Also, more Scarecrow. Scarecrow was awesome in VOTMK.

#6 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

I think along with a new creative team, Moon Knight needs to have some new powers.Adding more gadgets and weapons to his arsenal doesn't make him more unique it just makes him more like Batman or Black Panther. 

Also I want Stained Glass Scarlet back in his rogue gallery.No matter what it takes.

#7 Posted by k4tzm4n (39926 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: Yup!  That's why I said bring back strength increases with the moon. 

@InnerVenom123: Thanks.  And yes, Black Spectre is always good for a violent throw down.  Imagine Marc's team: Bushman, Black Spectre, Morpheus, Deadzone, etc.  
Staff
#8 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

I think along with a new creative team, Moon Knight needs to have some new powers.Adding more gadgets and weapons to his arsenal doesn't make him more unique it just makes him more like Batman or Black Panther.

Bring back the moon powers?

#9 Posted by k4tzm4n (39926 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: That's what I want as well.
Staff
#10 Posted by daredevil21134 (11457 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this character.Daredevil and Moon Knight 4 Life lol

#11 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n said:
@Vance Astro: Yup!  That's why I said bring back strength increases with the moon. 
The "Moon Powers" are super-generic.A slight strength increase doesn't really change the character.I was thinking something even more than that.
#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

Some good ideas but not really what I would like with the character 

#13 Posted by k4tzm4n (39926 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87: Thanks.  Well, what would you like to see? 

Staff
#14 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with this. He kind of needs a series like his original 1980's one, but updated (if that is what you are going for)

#15 Edited by Bleeble (44 posts) - - Show Bio

This pretty much sums up how I feel about Moon Knight. The Character has so much potential to be great and with the right creative team he could really shine, but his most recent series didn't do him any favors so who knows how long it will be til they give him another go.

#16 Posted by k4tzm4n (39926 posts) - - Show Bio
@Superguy0009e said:

I agree with this. He kind of needs a series like his original 1980's one, but updated (if that is what you are going for)

Partially, yes! 

@Bleeble: Agreed, man! 

What does everyone think of my choices for writers/illustrators? 
Staff
#17 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

He also needs a new costume. That's what has always kept me from caring about him. He looks silly.

#18 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

One Word:

VibraniumArmor.

And yes, the word is conjoined.

#19 Edited by Bearded Justice (751 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always wanted a Moon Knight Max series.

I don't really care if he has powers or not, but I wasn't a huge fan of his armor in the Vengeance run. I mean, it was cool, but I didn't want it to last. Not that that series was bad or anything. Not a huge fan of the Bendis series either, but I'll take it. Basically I want something similar to the 06 run back again I guess. I agree David Finch should come back, but he ain't. He be in DC's pocket now. I like Lee Bermejo... maybe he could do some Moon Knight?

#20 Posted by k4tzm4n (39926 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

One Word:

VibraniumArmor.

It's possible.  After all, he's already had adamantium and carbonadium armor, haha.
Staff
#21 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp said:

One Word:

VibraniumArmor.

It's possible. After all, he's already had adamantium and carbonadium armor, haha.

I was actually taking drugs a couple of minutes ago, so in the mist of being a clown and listening to Slaughterhouse I accidentally typed Vibranium instead of Carbonadium.

So yeah, that was actually a mistake, I don't think I'd like MK wearing the Vibranium Armor. If any street level should go back to it, it needs to be fcking T'Challa. Here's to him becoming a high-end street leveler and Marvel knowing what the fack to do with that guy.

#22 Posted by Dreadmaster (16778 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n said:

A fresh set would be more prevalent. Bordering on the lines of Fist of Khonshu powers where he was invisible in the dark, faster, etc. Moon phases would still be a welcome sight but more research on mythical Khonshu could probably spark some ideas.

Honestly i think his 1980 series is what the benchmark is for me. Cameos from other heroes and villains would help too. I'm not sure who will do it, but it can be done.
#23 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Static Shock: No, this is a blog. I just chose to have it go in general discussion as well.

Oh, okay. My bad. LOL.

#24 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

He also needs a new costume. That's what has always kept me from caring about him. He looks silly.

I agree but I don't think he looks silly.I just think he needs a more unique design. 

@Bearded Justice said:

I've always wanted a Moon Knight Max series.

I don't really care if he has powers or not, but I wasn't a huge fan of his armor in the Vengeance run. I mean, it was cool, but I didn't want it to last. Not that that series was bad or anything. Not a huge fan of the Bendis series either, but I'll take it. Basically I want something similar to the 06 run back again I guess. I agree David Finch should come back, but he ain't. He be in DC's pocket now. I like Lee Bermejo... maybe he could do some Moon Knight?

Giving him different powers would set him apart from other characters thus eliminating part of the reason people don't read his comics.
#25 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed with both of Vance's points, thus the Carbonadinum armor. Not Iron Man level, but not exactly some generic street leveler.

#26 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

Agreed with both of Vance's points, thus the Carbonadinum armor. Not Iron Man level, but not exactly some generic street leveler.

The armor kind of diminishes his uniqueness as well.Black Panther always wears VIBRANIUM armor.
#27 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@ReVamp said:

The armor kind of diminishes his uniqueness as well.Black Panther always wears VIBRANIUM armor.

He doesn't wear it anymore. Even so, that's one person with SIMILAR powers. Just because they both originate from the same point, doesn't mean that they'll end up being the same. Look at pre-Extremis Iron Man and The Engineer, both have pretty much an Armor, but they act and use it in different ways.

#28 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

He doesn't wear it anymore. Even so, that's one person with SIMILAR powers. 

Seeing as how he's already loosely based on Batman..that's one too many.
#29 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

Look at pre-Extremis Iron Man and The Engineer, both have pretty much an Armor, but they act and use it in different ways.

The issue isn't the similarities it's the similarities to a character he's in competition with for popularity.
#30 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

Seeing as how he's already loosely based on Batman..that's one too many.

Not in the hypothetical "scenario" we were talking about.

The issue isn't the similarities it's the similarities to a character he's in competition with for popularity.

Which is why I was saying, they need to change him sufficiently.

#31 Posted by mavfan626 (4121 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he should come back with 'Vengeance of Moon Knight' persona but I really think he needs is a team up run of comics. He would be hard for a character like Moon Knight get a descent run. Also a villain rehash.

#32 Posted by Danial79 (2346 posts) - - Show Bio

The Creative Team

I agree with your choice of writers, but personally, I'm an advocate of Clayton Crain when it comes to Moon Knight art. I agree that it needs to be dark, and Crain's darkness is just that next step above Deodato and Finch. See the cover of Moon Knight: Silent Knight for an example.

The Character

The insanity needs to go. As you stated, Lockley and Grant were merely guises, not multiple personalities. Marc might snap once in a while, but he's never been actually crazy. I think whoever the writer is needs to research Egyptian mythology and gain some ideas from that. The moon powers were different, but really, if any villain figured them out, they'd simply attack during a new moon when Marc was at his weakest and the cyclic nature would become tedious after a while. I also was not a fan of the Batman (gadgets) and Iron Man (suit) aspects of Vengeance. The scene where he held a building up with the suit while he left it and fought the baddies in his boxer shorts was just stupid. We've got a Batman and we've got an Iron Man, we don't need a hybrid. In my eyes, Moon Knight is basically an Egyptian-themed Ninja, and I think that's where his uniqueness lies. He doesn't need armour and he doesn't need gadgets. He kicks a** without them. One thing I definitely want is a return of Moon Knight's supporting cast. Marlene and Frenchie are just as much a part of "Moon Knight" as Marc is.

The Villains

I'm with you on the Bushman thing. I know he's Moon Knight's main guy, but there is nothing special about him. I wouldn't want him going insane either though, or he runs the risk of turning into Moon Knight's Joker. I'm with Vance Astro, in that I think Stained Glass Scarlet absolutely needs to return. I recently re-read Scarlet Redemption and it really is one of Moon Knight's best arcs. If you want a "crazy quota", she's your girl. Other than her, I'd like to see Moon Knight return to his roots with some Werewolf by Night action, as well as some of his more obscure (though interesting) rogues such as Morpheus. If you're after a Sinister Six type deal, you should check out Resurrection War where Morpheus teams up with Bushman and Black Spectre.

Increase His Role

This is a must. The problem is, Moon Knight is unpowered, so in an event featuring the likes of Thor and Iron Man, he would be pretty useless. Black Widow already fills in the stealth role, so unless he was teaming up with her, there wouldn't be much for him to do. I thought he was a perfect fit for the Secret Avengers, but for some reason Remender felt otherwise. I've been reading Marc Spector: Moon Knight lately, and I love the Spider-Man and Punisher cameos, so perhaps if he made cameos in their books, it would increase his popularity, or at least make some people curious to learn more about him. Who knows.

#33 Posted by k4tzm4n (39926 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@ReVamp said:

One Word:

VibraniumArmor.

It's possible. After all, he's already had adamantium and carbonadium armor, haha.

I was actually taking drugs a couple of minutes ago, so in the mist of being a clown and listening to Slaughterhouse I accidentally typed Vibranium instead of Carbonadium.

So yeah, that was actually a mistake, I don't think I'd like MK wearing the Vibranium Armor. If any street level should go back to it, it needs to be fcking T'Challa. Here's to him becoming a high-end street leveler and Marvel knowing what the fack to do with that guy.

Fair enough.  He once wore an adamantium set-up.  Now that's awesome. 

@dreadmaster said:
@k4tzm4n said:

A fresh set would be more prevalent. Bordering on the lines of Fist of Khonshu powers where he was invisible in the dark, faster, etc. Moon phases would still be a welcome sight but more research on mythical Khonshu could probably spark some ideas.  Honestly i think his 1980 series is what the benchmark is for me. Cameos from other heroes and villains would help too. I'm not sure who will do it, but it can be done.
I didn't elaborate, but I meant a return of all of his moon powers.  Stronger, faster, etc.   

@Static Shock said:

@k4tzm4n said:

Oh, okay. My bad. LOL.

I forgive you :D 

@mavfan626 said:

I think he should come back with 'Vengeance of Moon Knight' persona but I really think he needs is a team up run of comics. He would be hard for a character like Moon Knight get a descent run. Also a villain rehash.

Yup, one of my suggestions is rebooting his villains. 

@Danial79: Crain is very hit or miss for me, but he would indeed be an awesome choice as well.  And yeah man, I love the cover for that special!   Happy you agree regarding his mental status as well.  I've read the team-up (scans of the fights are in my Black Spectre Respect thread), but I think down the road giving him the "Sinister Six" treatment could prove interesting if handled properly.  Werewolf is definitely welcome additions as well.  Only fair since that's the first time we saw Moon Knight!  Yeah, no reason to put Marc next to Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, etc.  That said, there's plenty of street level heroes and villains out there for him to interact with.  We've seen this plenty of times in the past, but I think implementing him in other titles (like he did waaay back in Spider-Man for the Punisher/Night Thrasher stuff) will help gain him more attention and hopefully respect.  I know you're very vocal about the character, so I'm happy to see you agree with most of the points :D
Staff
#34 Posted by Dreadmaster (16778 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:

The Creative Team

I agree with your choice of writers, but personally, I'm an advocate of Clayton Crain when it comes to Moon Knight art. I agree that it needs to be dark, and Crain's darkness is just that next step above Deodato and Finch. See the cover of Moon Knight: Silent Knight for an example.

The Character

The insanity needs to go. As you stated, Lockley and Grant were merely guises, not multiple personalities. Marc might snap once in a while, but he's never been actually crazy. I think whoever the writer is needs to research Egyptian mythology and gain some ideas from that. The moon powers were different, but really, if any villain figured them out, they'd simply attack during a new moon when Marc was at his weakest and the cyclic nature would become tedious after a while. I also was not a fan of the Batman (gadgets) and Iron Man (suit) aspects of Vengeance. The scene where he held a building up with the suit while he left it and fought the baddies in his boxer shorts was just stupid. We've got a Batman and we've got an Iron Man, we don't need a hybrid. In my eyes, Moon Knight is basically an Egyptian-themed Ninja, and I think that's where his uniqueness lies. He doesn't need armour and he doesn't need gadgets. He kicks a** without them. One thing I definitely want is a return of Moon Knight's supporting cast. Marlene and Frenchie are just as much a part of "Moon Knight" as Marc is.

The Villains

I'm with you on the Bushman thing. I know he's Moon Knight's main guy, but there is nothing special about him. I wouldn't want him going insane either though, or he runs the risk of turning into Moon Knight's Joker. I'm with Vance Astro, in that I think Stained Glass Scarlet absolutely needs to return. I recently re-read Scarlet Redemption and it really is one of Moon Knight's best arcs. If you want a "crazy quota", she's your girl. Other than her, I'd like to see Moon Knight return to his roots with some Werewolf by Night action, as well as some of his more obscure (though interesting) rogues such as Morpheus. If you're after a Sinister Six type deal, you should check out Resurrection War where Morpheus teams up with Bushman and Black Spectre.

Increase His Role

This is a must. The problem is, Moon Knight is unpowered, so in an event featuring the likes of Thor and Iron Man, he would be pretty useless. Black Widow already fills in the stealth role, so unless he was teaming up with her, there wouldn't be much for him to do. I thought he was a perfect fit for the Secret Avengers, but for some reason Remender felt otherwise. I've been reading Marc Spector: Moon Knight lately, and I love the Spider-Man and Punisher cameos, so perhaps if he made cameos in their books, it would increase his popularity, or at least make some people curious to learn more about him. Who knows.

Screw it. Lets just make you the writer.
#35 Posted by Danial79 (2346 posts) - - Show Bio

@dreadmaster said:

If you can arrange that with Marvel, I'd be more than happy to do my part :)

#36 Posted by k4tzm4n (39926 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79: I'll only second that if you promise to bring back Deadzone :P
Staff
#37 Posted by JSH92 (414 posts) - - Show Bio

Moon Knight is my favorite superhero....that being said, I absolutely hated what this latest run did to him. The whole thinking he's Spiderman/Wolverine/Captain America was a big load of bull, and when I heard it I wanted to strangle Bendis! I can't really be too harsh on the series though, considering I haven't read all of it. I really wanted to put aside my negative presumptions of the series and give it a try, but when I looked through several issues I thought the artwork was absolutely horrifying. I personally think the artwork is just entirely unattractive. But, I'll probably give the series a chance anyways and read it (solely because I'm a Moon Knight fan).

I really wish they'd make a new Moon Knight series that's more like his original run. That was good stuff. Best Moon Knight material I've ever read.

#38 Posted by k4tzm4n (39926 posts) - - Show Bio
@JSH92: Yeah, I really want the next series to have a classic vibe. 

This is still my favorite Moon Knight issue:
Staff
#39 Posted by Danial79 (2346 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

Deal :)

#40 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79 said:

@dreadmaster said:

You can't be the writer.

That's MY job.

>:0

#41 Posted by Danial79 (2346 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Danial79 said:

@dreadmaster said:

You can't be the writer.

That's MY job.

If you're nice to me, I'll let you be co-writer :P

#42 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danial79 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Danial79 said:

@dreadmaster said:

You can't be the writer.

That's MY job.

If you're nice to me, I'll let you be co-writer :P

Fiiiine. :P

#43 Posted by k4tzm4n (39926 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:

@k4tzm4n said:

Deal :)

woot!
Staff
#44 Posted by foolkiller1 (229 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought moon knight was more like the shadow then batman, I would like to see writers embrace that.

#45 Posted by Owie (3689 posts) - - Show Bio

Hear, hear!

I agree, bring back the moon powers, maybe some new powers, and rehash his rogue's gallery. Every time there's a MK debate on this site, they always say he has no feats because his villains suck. True or not, the only way for him to get any respect is to start beating up some people that command respect. (Shang Chi needs the same treatment.)

In terms of artists, as long as we're dreaming, let's bring back Bill Sienkiewicz!

#46 Posted by k4tzm4n (39926 posts) - - Show Bio
@Owie said:

Hear, hear!

Thank you!
Staff