• 59 results
cmyers1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cmyers1980

Im new to this site but since i have been collecting and researching comics for 6 years now and I have been on so many comic forums it is ridiculous.My questions are what do moderators do besides the obvious? How do you become one? Is it the people that have thousands of posts? Please explain

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By TheCrowbar

A good strong community presence(Good as in beneficial)

Then there needs to be a need for moderation on certain forums.

One of the Comicvine employees contacts you and you talk it out(I assume)

If you're a fit then you get to be moderator, if not, then you're not chosen to be one.

Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmyers1980:

You have to be voted by the Circle of Moderators and One or several of the Staff turns you into one.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

You have to be on the site for a while to become a moderator. I have been on the site for 3 years, and I am not even a moderator

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Kal'smahboi
@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

@cmyers1980:

You have to be voted by the Circle of Moderators and One or several of the Staff turns you into one.

MODS building MODS?! How perverse.
minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By minigunman123

@cmyers1980:

Interesting.

On this subject, How did k4tz become staff? In a few months he went from normal user to mod to staff. I thought the only staff were people that either started the site or actually had interviews and crap in person with the staff? I must be out of the loop.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@minigunman123 said:

@cmyers1980:

Interesting.

On this subject, How did k4tz become staff? In a few months he went from normal user to mod to staff. I thought the only staff were people that either started the site or actually had interviews and crap in person with the staff? I must be out of the loop.

Well, K4tz has experience. He's a writer and has been a writer for other sites.

cmyers1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cmyers1980

No it's not fair!! It's not fair. What does being beneficial on this site mean?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheCrowbar

@cmyers1980:

Sorry how is it not fair?

Also it means making interesting logical points. Staying on topic, generally being well liked for interesting and thought provoking ideas while having the ability to keep a cool head when people disagree with you.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@cmyers1980 said:

Not fair? You've been here less than a month. Don't tell me you have aspirations for becoming a mod already.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By YoungJustice

Without mods this site would be the living embodiment of hell. Flamewars everywhere. People getting into the most heated inappropriate arguments. Spam on every board. Cursing everywhere. We need mods, we need to be controlled, we need rules. That's why mods are beneficial. If you don't like how things are did around here and think its unfair, I hear KMC is hiring.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheCrowbar

Being a Mod isn't fun. Not even a little.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@YoungJustice said:

Without mods this site would be the living embodiment of hell. Flamewars everywhere. People getting into the most heated inappropriate arguments. Spam on every board. Cursing everywhere. We need mods, we need to be controlled, we need rules. That's why mods are beneficial. If you don't like how things are did around here and think its unfair, I hear KMC is hiring.

I don't see how the f**k that would be a f**king negative, but ok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haydenclaireheroes said:

You have to be on the site for a while to become a moderator. I have been on the site for 3 years, and I am not even a moderator

That's not necessarily true. I sure Moderator Buckshot became a mod not even a few days after the the site opened along with Gambler and others.

@minigunman123 said:

@cmyers1980:

Interesting.

If K4tz is a staff, that would mean he actually works with Comicvine or Whiskey or Giant Bomb. But I believe he is just a moderator if I'm not mistaken.

@cmyers1980 said:

Well, the thing now is Whiskey Media had been sold out. Back then there used to be a 'career's link below the the site. These days, you have to be hooked-up through the Inner-Circle.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Mercy_

@TheCrowbar said:

Maybe a littleeee (just not recently with all the damn spam T__T)

@minigunman123 said:

CV also hires freelances (Erik Norris, Mat Elfring and Mat Demers (previously). None of them are a part of the home office, but all of them provide articles and reviews. K4tz has been on the site for years and has experience writing and interviewing for other sites and was thus hired on as staff.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Mercy_:

I know all about your "Ban TheCrowbar" lunch get togethers! I have feelings you know! Mostly cold steel...but that's still a feeling!?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

That's not necessarily true. I sure Moderator Buckshot became a mod not even a few days after the the site opened along with Gambler and others.

Well, they were the original mods. So early on, they needed mods before they hit the year mark.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mercy_

@JediXMan said:

Well, they were the original mods. So early on, they needed mods before they hit the year mark.

Site was around a while before Buck and then G became mods. Methos was the first, anyways and for a while there, the only.

@TheCrowbar said:

@Mercy_:

I know all about your "Ban TheCrowbar" lunch get togethers! I have feelings you know! Mostly cold steel...but that's still a feeling!?

We tried so hard to keep them a secret...now be quiet before I beat you with your namesake.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Mercy_ said:

@JediXMan said:

Site was around a while before Buck and then G became mods. Methos was the first, anyways and for a while there, the only.

How do you know all this? You joined after I did... Freaks me out...

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By danhimself

I used to think that the qualifications for being a mod were forum and wiki presence but apparently that's not true

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@danhimself said:

I used to think that the qualifications for being a mod were forum and wiki presence but apparently that's not true

Partially true. Never seen a mod with less than 1k in Wiki points or post count. Or under 5k in both categories, for that matter.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mercy_

@danhimself said:

Whaddya mean?

@JediXMan said:

How do you know all this? You joined after I did... Freaks me out...

... ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JediXMan said:

The funny thing is that when there were only a few mods, the site actually moved alot faster. Now that there are more mods with each having anchored their own separate rules, lagged the traffic down quite alot. The battle forum for example has 7 anchored threads that float constantly.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@JediXMan said:

The funny thing is that when there were only a few mods, the site actually moved alot faster. Now that there are more mods with each having anchored their own separate rules, lagged the traffic down quite alot. The battle forum for example has 7 anchored threads that float constantly.

To be fair, the battle forums need more monitoring than the others do. They get more hostile.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By minigunman123

@Mercy_ said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@minigunman123 said:

CV also hires freelances (Erik Norris, Mat Elfring and Mat Demers (previously). None of them are a part of the home office, but all of them provide articles and reviews. K4tz has been on the site for years and has experience writing and interviewing for other sites and was thus hired on as staff.

Ahh, makes sense! I wouldn't have the discipline to keep writing those several times a week. That reminds me, I should post my review of Deathstroke's New 52 volume :/ my last review was two weeks ago I think.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@minigunman123 said:

@cmyers1980:

Interesting.

K4tz is a stellar writer.

Staff is anyone who works for the site. Aside from GMan, and Sara, I'm usually the only staffer that does interviews and in person stuff but only because I've been at this site since the dawn of time

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By minigunman123

@inferiorego said:

@minigunman123 said:

@cmyers1980:

Interesting.

Staff is anyone who works for the site. Aside from GMan, and Sara, I'm usually the only staffer that does interviews and in person stuff but only because I've been at this site since the dawn of time

A staff member replied to my comment!?

*Jots down in diary*

I've only been here a little while compared to most, so I just haven't seen much of K4tz I guess, but I don't doubt that he's a great writer. Kudos to him, and good job on the site ^^

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@minigunman123 said:

@inferiorego said:

@minigunman123 said:

@cmyers1980:

Interesting.

*Jots down in diary*

I've only been here a little while compared to most, so I just haven't seen much of K4tz I guess, but I don't doubt that he's a great writer. Kudos to him, and good job on the site ^^

lol...

Yeah, K4tz has been here for a while, back in the time when I actually hung out in the forums

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@minigunman123 said:

@inferiorego said:

@minigunman123 said:

@cmyers1980:

Interesting.

*Jots down in diary*

k4tz is overrated, but thank you :D

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By laflux

@minigunman123 said:

*Jots down in diary*

He sent me a PM............................. And it wasn't cause I was trolling LOL

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#31  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@Mercy_ said:

@TheCrowbar said:

I'm having a blasty blast :D

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheCrowbar

@pikahyper:

I hated being a mod(Not for CV).

Edit:

Meant to add, "To each their own"

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@pikahyper said:

@Mercy_ said:

@TheCrowbar said:

I'm having a blasty blast :D

Ah, you're a mod now. Congrats; you were already kinda an unofficial wiki mod anyway :P

@TheCrowbar said:

@pikahyper:

Edit:

It has its moments (I've been an admin and a mod elsewhere)

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#34  Edited By Xanni15

Some of the moderators don't appear that active, and looking back at their past posts they've seemed to slow down after becoming one. Is this common or is there just a lot to deal with on this site?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@TheCrowbar said:

@pikahyper:

Edit:

I'm a natural authority figure :P I've been a mod and admin on over a dozen sites, this is the first comic one for me though, the rest have all been adult or programming forums and some IRC networks so compared to those this one is a piece of cake :D

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@JediXMan: thanks, I started Monday :D

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Xanni15 said:

Some of the moderators don't appear that active, and looking back at their past posts they've seemed to slow down after becoming one. Is this common or is there just a lot to deal with on this site?

It's not a defining trend but a noticeable one. I can vouch for my post count dropping significantly since becoming a mod, one of the reasons being the continuous safe-keeping of the forums. (especially the Battles)

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Xanni15

@Deranged Midget said:

@Xanni15 said:

It's not a defining trend but a noticeable one. I can vouch for my post count dropping significantly since becoming a mod, one of the reasons being the continuous safe-keeping of the forums. (especially the Battles)

I just didn't know if people relaxed once they got to the "top of the mountain" so to speak. :]

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Xanni15: No, a lot of the mods are still busy as ever. Take for example. She's the most dedicated of us all if you ask me.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mercy_

@Deranged Midget: Awwww thanks <3

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By ReVamp

I've gotta write me some CV rules.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Mercy_: :)

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mercy_

@ReVamp: You should write a good taste outline :D

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mercy_

@Xanni15 said:

Yes and no. There's so much that goes on behind the scenes that users don't see. Warnings issued, talking to, approving wiki subs etc. So there's a good chance that we're doing something (for those that are active) and it's just not visible to your eyes and modding can seem to slow down activity because of dealing with stuff like that.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ReVamp

@Mercy_ said:

@ReVamp: You should write a good taste outline :D

I was thinking something along the lines of

1. "Never Praise Huntress"

as the first rule...

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mercy_

@ReVamp: You're not funny -__-

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ReVamp

@Mercy_ said:

@ReVamp: You're not funny -__-

Yeah. I do give you too much sh!t. Need to diversify more to be funny =P.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Xanni15

@Mercy_ said:

@Xanni15 said:

Yes and no. There's so much that goes on behind the scenes that users don't see. Warnings issued, talking to, approving wiki subs etc. So there's a good chance that we're doing something (for those that are active) and it's just not visible to your eyes and modding can seem to slow down activity because of dealing with stuff like that.

Inactive moderators are still allowed to be moderators? Why not replace them so that the active mods don't have to pick up the slack? :]

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Strafe Prower

Just a note, asking to be a mod doesn't usually work either.

You have show that you are dedicated to the advancement and well being of the site to be chosen, or at least that's what I hear.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mercy_

@Xanni15 said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Xanni15 said:

Inactive moderators are still allowed to be moderators? Why not replace them so that the active mods don't have to pick up the slack? :]

It's not so much that they haven't been replaced (in the last three months we have a good amount of new moderators: K4tz (before his ascension to staff), myself, The Poet, RazzaTazz, Deranged Midget and now Pikahyper. At the moment, between the new additions and the older ones who are still active, we've got enough to handle things.

I couldn't tell you why some of the inactive mods haven't been removed (I think it may be a respect thing, not sure), but some of them were mods before I was even on CV.

@ReVamp: Yeah, go bother iLLy :D